Quake Live Premium Promotion

By Jim Rossignol on September 22nd, 2010 at 6:45 pm.

Oops, I almost forgot to post about this: Quake Live are doing a push on their paid-for premium service, which is apparently free for a month if you sign up before the 26th. But what good is that unless you have enough people to shoot? That is the question I have been asking myself. Shall we meet up for a game then, RPS people who like a bit of Quake? (You can still play for free on the default maps, even without signing up for this trial thing.) Say next Sunday night? I’ll probably be on the CTF servers UK evening time, for that is where I lurk with railgun and rocket launcher.

In other questions: any of you lot still Quake regulars? I’ve been popping in about once a month for a blast. I could do with some Rocket Arena, though.

1. LewieP says:

I’m game.

• LewieP says:

Actually I’m going to have a blast right now I think. I’m “LewieP” and I’m not very good.

Schaulustiger says:

Yes please, Mr Rossignol.

I don’t play Quake Live that much, but I regularly play Quake 3 against a friend of mine. I remember writing a nostalgia-dripping reply to the “10 years of Quake 3″ post some time ago here on RPS and would love to exchange some rockets with fellow RPS’ers. Hopefully I’ll find some time on Sunday.

3. BooleanBob says:

Pffffft, Quake? Wouldn’t it be better instead if we played the obviously superior Unrea-*hrrrrhnk*

/is silenced by Sam Fischer for the greater good

4. SirKicksalot says:

Man I love that logo.
    I haven’t played QL since spring. Time to go back I guess.

5. bitkari says:

So why do I want to pay £3 a month to play Quake 3?

• DrGonzo says:

I regretted spending money on Quake 3 when it came out. I really think it marks the decline of id. Up until that point their games were all classics, and since they haven’t released anything decent.

• ScubaMonster says:

I really loved Quake 3 and spent an insane amount of time with it. I will admit however I think I had a lot more fun online with Quake 1 and 2. Those were just awesome. To me, the decline definitely started with Quake 4 (or Doom 3 possibly).

6. DrGonzo says:

Sorry… They are going to charge people to play a game that came out years ago? I really don’t understand the logic behind this. Isn’t Quake 3 free now anyway? If it isn’t its very, very cheap and actually vastly better than Quake Live because of all the extra free content.

• Byth says:

Sorta. An unofficial build is available that is very close, and the source code is free, so you could just compile it, but those things are big hassles for lots of non-technical people. The reason people would pay is for hassle-free expanded content to Live, whether or not Quake 3 can do everything this can isn’t really a big deal considering the hassle makes them go to Live, and then Live becomes the free norm, and people might want to pay to expand on that.

• MD says:

The player base has moved to QL, and once that’s happened it’s pretty much irrelevant whether their reasons for doing so were sound. Once a game hits critical mass (be that in the ‘popular’ or ‘dead’ direction) there’s very little that can be done to redirect or revive that player base.

As for Q3A being free, it’s not. It’s $20 on Steam. The source has been released, but not the assets, so if you just compile it yourself the game won’t be playable. Obviously you can use the Q3 code with original assets, though: see OpenArena. Again though, you hit the player base issue: even if OpenArena was as good as Q3 (I have no idea whether this is the case), you’d need the Quake community onboard to make it a viable alternative.

7. Vadermath says:

Goddamn you, Jim! Every time you mention Quake I’m forced to re-read “This Gaming Life”!

And yes, CAPTCHA, I am indeed human. As I have proven countless times before by spelling out silly words like “ramp”.

• Fwiffo says:

Watch what you say about the CAPTCHA, or next time it might give you “crapm”! Har har har.

• Fwiffo says:

CRAMP. Cramp.

That one backfired on me all right.

8. apsaps says:

@DrGonzo

You don’t pay for the game. You pay for DEDICATED SERVERS ON YOUR DEMAND.
    And they’ve done changes to the game. QL is not the same as Q3A. And yes, the differences are subtle. But anyway, you pay for the dedicated servers. You do the same if you wan’t to play Q3A on your own dedicated server.

9. Tweakd says:

I’m in. I’ve not played in a while because my mouse died but I’ll use this crappy replacement until another mx arrives. Add me as Tweakd.

10. Quinnbeast says:

Man alive, Rocket Arena. It’s been a long time since I had a few rounds. I never really did much more than dabble with Quake Live… But RA Live… O_o

Yus yus yus. Plz 2 b making.

• andytizer says:

I would love to play ‘Rocket Arena 3 Live’ on this. I used to play in leagues in RA2 as an hpb.

• Longboot says:

Just play some Clan Arena? Some of the RA3 levels are in. Or you find it not the same?

11. RiptoR says:

Isn’t is so you only pay for 11 months of premium instead of the full 12 (“billed annualy”)? Or am I missing something?

12. Collic says:

I did play this for a while but just got a little tired of it. This seems like as good an excuse as any to load up my account again.

13. Cooper says:

It runs on my netbook, so, yes.

Thing is, the nearby servers here (russian and polish) are chocka with real hardcore types. I’m just not up to scratch.

14. Brumisator says:

Still no Chrome support?

Meh, even free, I found Quake live vastly inferior to Q3A, especially on slow internet connections.

15. frenz0rz says:

I thought you’d never ask!

Names Frenz0rz in-game – learn it well, for that collection of letters is what you’ll be seeing after the rocket I’ve fired has blasted you into a billion pieces. (Also, I’ve read your book, so I know im gonna get obliterated repeatedly for however long I can stand it)

16. apsaps says:

@ DrGonzo:

You probably could, but that doesn’t make it a dedicated server where you and 15 people could play @ 15ms.

Dedicated servers costs money. People want them, and the pay money for them.

17. Uglycat says:

I’m on most evenings
    As my moniker above.

18. 0mar says:

Quake Live is going to die with this. The whole appeal is that you can load up an ancient game and have some fun without having to download 3 gigs or find the 2 discs for Q3A for free. I really don’t see this taking off nor being in any way successful.

19. The_Cat says:

There’s a Clan Arena mode built into Quake Live, which even has a few RA3 maps running. It’s also part of the free package, unlike some of the other game modes like Freeze Tag.

• The_Cat says:

@Quinnbeast and @andytizer, obv.

Can’t believe the commenting here is still b0rked.

20. MD says:

With CPM physics I would insta-subscribe. As it is though, I think I’m still glad QL exists, except for the fact that it pretty much killed Warsow in my country. At the moment Quake is mostly a spectator sport for me.

21. Kevbo says:

I’ll try to hop on this Saturday since I love quake. I actually haven’t played since the beta mainly since I’ve been playing Warsow for my fast shooter fix lately.

22. Azazel says:

ENOUGH!

DM4: 1v1

23. The Sombrero Kid says:

not played quake 3 for a couple of years ever since all the neophiles at works started playing shitty call of shitty instead, would love a bash actually.

24. iSoLateD1 says:

I would pay if they ported Quake Live to Id tech 5.

25. Carter says:

Hey I’m very much up for this, barely touched CTF but I’m constantly on CA

My names RedAppleIvy

Looking foward to playing with you all!

26. promotional products says:

About the wonderful, very pleased to see this article, learn some things, and view the text is recognized. Thank you for sharing