Chris Avellone On Fallout: New Vegas Comic

By Kieron Gillen on September 23rd, 2010 at 7:00 pm.

Hmm. It’s proving quite the day for PC Game/Sequential Art cross-over. Following on from the L4D2 comic I noticed an interview at Comic Book Resources with Obsidian’s Chris Avellone about writing the Fallout: New Vegas prequel comic that Dark Horse are publishing. There’s been an upsurge of gaming comics in the last few years, with the first issue of Wildstorm’s Gears of War comic being apparently the biggest selling of the year… but it’s still relatively rare that they’re actually written by the creative minds behind the games themselves. It’ll be out on in Hardback on October 19th – the same day as its US release – and has a rather lovely hyper-detailed Geoff Darrow cover. If you’ve got an Iphone or Ipad, you can view a full preview here. I haven’t so, will just have to twiddle my fingers. Of course, with an Eisner-nomination for his Clone Wars comic work, Chris is hardly a newcomer to the medium, so it will hopefully be acceptably nifty.

, .

1. suibhne says:

This was the primary motivation for my pre-order of the CE.

2. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Isn’t the comic exclusive to the collector’s edition? It was actually making me kind of want the collector’s edition… Not sure the comic is worth paying £50 instead of £25ish though, so if it’s available seperate, I’m all for it.

• suibhne says:

Dark Horse and Bethesda both seem to be claiming that it’s available only with the CE of the game. Whether they’re telling the truth is another matter entirely.

Still…not taking any chances here.

3. Marlowe says:

The Marlon Brando wannabe on the left appears to be holding a birthday candle between his fingers.

4. DargleBargle says:

Long-haired pretty-boy aside, the preview app they put up on itunes really caught my attention, I’ll definitely be picking up the collectors edition

5. Eddy9000 says:

I dunno, this kind if thing feels a bit uncomfortable for me. I’m not into comics in the way I’m into computer games but I’ve read and enjoyed preacher, sandman, Akira and Maus, and love 2000 ad so I’m not anti comics or anything. The thing that gets me us that when I pay for a computer game I think I should be paying for an experience that the makers feel passionate about other people experiencing, as artists they should want me to get the whole shebang and nothing else. When I can either pay for a game or pay more for a comic I wonder, is the game detracted from if I don’t buy and read the comic? If so why sell just the game at all, just only sell both together at a fixed price if each one is nessecary to complete the experience.
    It’s very different to a sequel in book or film land, you’ve had your experience and if you want to continue it then pay to experience the sequel. But releasing something Supposedly as a full experience and then releasing something else seperately that is nessecary to complete the artists vision feels like a con, very cynical. I feel the same about DLC, give it to me or don’t. I’d have preffered it if dragon age had been released for one (higher) price with dlc than for a lower one with the option to complete my experience of it or not.
    It feels a bit like paying a tenner to go to a play that kind of makes sense, and being told at the end that anyone who wants to really find out what happens has to pay an extra two quid or they have to leave.

• Konork says:

Comics like these are typically only backstory for some more specific things about the setting, like how a character got power or something like that. They wouldn’t be really be mentioned as in-depth in the game, whether or not there WAS a comic explaining it. The way I see it, you aren’t getting less of an experience if you don’t get one, you just get more of an experience if you get both

6. Alphabet says:

The man’s a genius. I want this, even though I’m shamefully out of touch with the world of comics, just because he wrote it.

7. Lars Westergren says:

Yay. I love Chris Avellone. So looking forward to my F:NV Collector’s Edition.

The Mass Effect 2 CE comic on the other hand I’m sorry to say was garbage.

8. Chris says:

The GoW and WoW comics will continue, with a DC badge slapped on em :)

9. teo says:

I’ll care what he has to say when he publicly admits AP is a piece of shit and apologizes for it