En Masse Produce TERA-vision

By Jim Rossignol on September 23rd, 2010 at 8:38 am.

I’m still not quite sure what to think about TERA. The promise of skill-based combat in an MMO always flickers my interest, and the world seems pretty enough, with some extraordinary characters and gigantic monsters, but it’s hard to be sure about how it will really play, how long that grind will be, whether the world has some real depth behind that prettiness. The edited PAX demonstration video (which is viewable here, as it has embedding disabled for some reason) certainly shows off some impressive scenes in what seems to be UI-free game footage and a bit of FMV. The techno-magical boss monster is really quite the thing. But still, take a look and see what you think.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DSR says:

Looks like Giant Enemy Crab.
    I hope you’ll be able to hit its weak points for massive damage…

2. Snall says:

Instanced areas? Yick.. PvP worlds? Yes. Loot from PvP? I don;t know

Pass

3. Dominic White says:

2:23 in that PA video: Heroic charge fail.

Looks solid, though. Very Monster Hunter-ish looking combat, which is a universally good thing.

4. President Weasel says:

VERY monster hunter-ish screen shot, as well.

5. Snall says:

I really wish I didn’t lust after PvP so much so I could enjoy ‘normal’ MMOs….

• Heliocentric says:

You really want games which are faulty by design? Subscription based games give developers/publishers reasons to make you repeat carbon copy tasks.

Be glad you are one of the (relative) few who feels confident enough to play competitive games and (i assume) not focused on winning so much you can only stand to face a clockwork enemy*.

*for other non winning focused games see spelunky, minecraft, dwarf fortress and roguelikes.

• DrGonzo says:

Are there any big budget roguelikes? I always enjoy them but they don’t last particularly long.

6. Lobotomist says:

I have been following Tera from some time now. But i am starting to feel the game is very much console+japanese in design. Something in spirit of Bayonetta.

I mean the monsters are really not standard races, like orcs,goblins etc. But instead some strange anime constructs. And levels are very much like over the top console fighting games.

Its good for people that enjoy . But i prefer western fantasy settings

• Dominic White says:

I think this is the first time I’ve heard someone complain about a game NOT being a generic orcs, elves and goblins-fest. I worry that there may be more people that think like this, too.

• Heliocentric says:

I have been following Tera from some time now. I am starting to feel the game is very much console+japanese in design. Something in spirit of Bayonetta.

I mean the monsters are really not just standard races, like orcs,goblins etc. But instead some interesting and strange anime constructs. And excitingly levels are very much like over the top console fighting games.

Its good for people that enjoy that . But I prefer Tolkien-clone settings

Fixed.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

Pah! All this means is that instead of a western cliche setting with huge pauldrons, sex elves and an increasingly dangerous horde of goblinoids, you get an eastern cliche with assless platemail chaps, deeply underage sex elves and ten billion crabs til the next level.

• Lobotomist says:

What the above poster said.

And also , yes I prefer western fantasy based on european legends and literature. Japanese lack this.
      They do not lack imagination per se. But fighting giant toaster with church bell instead of head and cow heads instead of fists – well …

belive me not all originality is good, neither all tradition is bad.

Just look at Witcher. How original the world and story is. While still fighting orcs, and elves.

• Dominic White says:

Well, that was incoherent. And you’re bending over backwards to try and explain why repeating the same endless fantasy settings is the right thing, too.

• Eggy says:

and YOU are bending over backwards to try to portray eastern mores as superior to western.

…again.

• Dominic White says:

I’ve not said anything in favour of eastern anything here. However, he straight-up said that he wants MORE games with generic orcs, elves and goblins. That’s seriously bad if a significant portion of the audience also thinks that way, as it’s severely limiting, creativity-wise.

• Lobotomist says:

I said no such thing.

I compared Tera to Bayonetta. Which is over the top Japanese brawler.
      Enemies designed with no logic outside arcade console world.

This can work in action brawler. But MMO RPG , the world should have lore and world design should reflect that lore.

I dont care if its orcs, or darkspawn, or zerg, or xelee, or borg. If there is good structured story behind it.

Just putting bell instead of creatures head, and tosters instead of fists does not make it good or original.

• DrGonzo says:

By the way Bayonetta is set in Europe, you play an English woman. So in their own crazy way it is the Japanese’s take on our mythology.

Bayonetta is absolutely mental in a brilliant way. I would love to see more games that are as original as that game. Giant flying, upside down David Bowie heads. I mean what the hell is that all about?

• Megazver says:

Witcher was written in part to subvert and mock western fantasy. And Sapkowski actually wrote a non-fiction book about how most of western fantasy is derivate hacky shit.

7. Butler` says:

I’ve been watching this for a few months. I knew you’d be on board Jim, with the ol’ skill / aiming element.

I’m not terribly hopeful either though. I more hopeful about, say, Bloodline Champions, which although not particularly similar in scope, does scratch the same itch for a skill based rpg.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m trying out the Beta of Bloodline Champions. I can’t say I’m particularly enjoying it, but it does have excellent potential.

8. DevilSShadoW says:

as an avid lineage 2/ MMO consumer i’ve been following TERA for over a year now and so far every detail about it only makes me want to hear more. First of all the action combat is a selling point alone, with the lore/story they are building for the game being another strong attraction for me. Sure, it may look like another Tolkien Universe carbon copy of all the “what’s it’s face” MMO’s out there but if, like me, you delve into the depths of what this game’s all about you will find some interesting surprises on your way down.

9. Scoteh says:

I think that TERA is the most promising MMO I’ve seen since I first stumbled accross WoW when it was first announced. I can’t wait for this one and frankly will be putting my kidneys up for trade in exhange for a beta key.

Absolutely scratches every itch that I could hope for, I just hope that all that theyve spoken of and praised about this game is as well executed as possible when it comes for release. Honestly I wouldn’t care if this game was massively succesful, even though I’m convinced it should be, but as long as enough people play it for 1 full pop server you can guarrantee I’ll be there

10. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The trailer does show gameplay, but not from a first-person in-game perspective. That said.. it looks interesting, although the art style is a bit too asiatic for me.

11. Zyrusticae says:

It’d be nice if you could at least be descriptive.

The nice thing about Tera is that they give you options. If you don’t want assless plate armor (makes me lol, too), don’t play Castanics.

And the elves… the elves are anything but !

• Zyrusticae says:

Wow. HTML AND reply fail in one post.

I give up. I can’t work with this!

12. Zyrusticae says:

assless platemail chaps, deeply underage sex elves</cite

Lemme try this again…

If you don't want assless plate, you don't play Castanics.

Also, Tera high elves =/= underaged.

13. MountainShouter says:

I am still curious about this game. But I want to see MORE in-depth content explanation before it can really start hooking me.

It looks nice enough, that it does.

14. threedliams says:

Anyone else reminded slightly of the zerg ultralisk?

15. vine says: