Alien Breed 2, 2

By Alec Meer on September 24th, 2010 at 6:00 pm.

ratatatatatatatatatatat

Poor old Team 17′s rebooted Alien Breed hasn’t had the best luck on PC, having had its thunder royally stolen by Valve’s rebooted (and, more to the point, free) Alien Swarm. Too many aliens, too many reboots happening at once. Unbowed – well, probably a little bowed, I suspect – they’re having another go, with the release and demo of Alien Breed 2: Assault. This is not the same as the original Alien Breed 2. It confuses me. I want to cry. But I also want to shoot aliens!

[Post-post note from Jim: We actually just got this, so I think John is going to take a look at it.]

Release and demo, I believe I said. I should probably link you to that, huh?

This second ‘chapter’ appears to be broadly more of the same as May’s first Unreal 3-powered chunk, but offers a bunch more weapons, aliens, a ‘mounted gun section’ and a new survival mode in both singleplayer and co-op.

I didn’t ever get around to trying out first chapter Impact – what was the general consensus? Should we be craving this one’s ichor?

£6.99, Steam only, looks like this:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Skinlo says:

I almost feel sorry for Team 17.

2. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Those poor fools! I gave up on Impact rather quickly… What little I played of Swarm was just much more enjoyable.

They really need to do something to show people why they want to buy this as opposed to playing Swarm for free.

3. DigitalSignalX says:

The price seems right, for the genre and the 4-5 hours of single player game play I’d expect from it.

4. hahnchen says:

So Alien Swarm is free and on Steam. Is this an infinite times better?

5. Jerkstore says:

Alien Breed Impact looked good, played fast and appeared to have everything I wanted in a top-down oldschool shooter. But it wasn’t much fun to play. Had awkward controls and I didn’t get that visceral fun feeling of shooting massive amounts of aliens that I so craved. It felt sterile and lifeless, nothing compared to the memories I have of playing the original Alien Breed games.

Alien Swarm didn’t only steal its thunder, it did pretty much everything better. Sad but true.

6. MasterBoo says:

The problem is that they also barely support the new totally broken and dumbed down Worms Reloaded, which got a lot of very angry fans yelling at their forums (in that case, it’s justified since the game is really broken).

• John Peat says:

It’s also insanely expensive for a Worms title – I get the feeling the PC is being bled to keep their coffers topped-up (you can buy both Worms on XBLA for less than the one on PC!?)

• LewieP says:

I imagine it will be heavily discounted at some point in the near future.

It’s harder to grab headlines with “66% off!” if you start at a low price.

7. Eclipse says:

I don’t really know why, WHY DAMN IT, they have chosen to go the “bug-shaped aliens” way instead of the awesome beast the original Alien Breed for amiga had. If I can choose between shooting an unoriginal giant bug or a mix between a Xenomorph and a saber tooth tiger I’d go for the latter at any time (well, unless I have to fight them for real…)

8. newt says:

I thought the first one was quite decent and managed to set up a very nice space vibe. If only there was more to it than just simple action (yeah, yeah, it’s a remake of an action classic, I know). I’d love an adventure / RPG game in that setting. With a simple, down-to-earth (well, not literally) story. Am I too greedy?

9. Carra says:

Those screenies look so much like Alien Swarm.

10. manveruppd says:

I much preferred Breed to Swarm, Valve’s game felt a bit too floaty and lightweight. Plus, the viewing distance was very narrow so it felt constricted – hardly ideal for a 4-player game!

11. the wiseass says:

Fuck Team17, I can’t even play Worms because it keeps freezing up. They should try to fix that up before releasing any other games.

12. Fumarole says:

I was considering buying Alien Breed before Valve blew that idea right out of the water with their game. Had Valve’s announcement come just a day or two later I may have bought Team17s game.

captcha: R4D4 – who put an astromech in my RPS?

• DrGonzo says:

Same here. Though does this have two player local co op? My netbook can only run the first two missions of Alien Swarm before the levels get massive and the frame-ate drops. Though it does run the first two missions smoothly surprisingly.

13. Bungle says:

I got embarrassed for the developer as soon as I saw the first ad for Alien Breed. Honestly, they should have just scrapped the project and walked away as soon as they heard about Alien Swarm.

14. Little Tohya says:

So, the first one got shown up by Alien Swarm, and this one is only out a few days before Guardian of Light (Which is REALLY GOOD).

Poor old Team 17. As a former Atari ST owner, I feel quite justified in laughing at their misfortune.

• Στέλιος says:

Hey, don’t be upset at Team17 for them having seen the limitations of your platform

(ooooh, snap!)

• Urael says:

I hear ya, man. I feel the same way about Lucasarts for not bring Monkey Island 2 to the Atari but lavishing it upon those smug Amiga owners.

15. Barnaby says:

Don’t feel sorry for them, the game is shit. I wish I hadn’t purchased the last one. If Alien Swarm had come out a little earlier I would have saved some money.

The co-op part of things is especially awful.

16. scharmers says:

…and not only is Swarm free, there’s already been a good Alien Breed clone released with decent controls: Shadowgrounds.

• Dominic White says:

Not only that, but Shadowgrounds does a better job at capturing the Alien Breed style than the new Alien Breed games. I recall there was even an Alien Breed sound/UI mod for Shadowgrounds to complete the migration.

17. Armyofnone says:

That trailer was painfully stiff and poorly animated. Not that I expected more from a top-down shooter, and the game still may be good and all that, but ow. Was painful to watch :/

• MadMatty says:

yeah horrible- the aliens are the size of a small elephant, and the main guy pushes them around like they were pre-schoolers (hint: use the GUN!…. oh nvm)

18. hahnchen says:

Wow, any goodwill left over from Team 17′s glory days has truly evaporated. There’s barely a positive note in this entire thread.

It’s all deserved though. These guys haven’t had a hit in decades.

Look, just rename yourselves The Worms Company, and forget about everything else.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

C’mon you guys, ease up, if a Team17 dev actually read these comments, he/she would probably go neck themselves, it really is quite depressing.
      I myself was a fan of Worms <– the one with the iron donkey, and holy hand grenade. But in saying that it is true that worms is and probably will be all this company will be remembered for.

• Ozzie says:

It’s not like they had it coming, right?
      I mean, for how many years are we excusing the efforts of Team17, just because they seem to be a likeable little company? Crap is crap, pure and simple.

Not that the latest Alien Breed or Worms are pure crap, but it’s just the same we had before, but worse. And don’t forget the LSL: Box Office Bust, probably the greatest stinker of the past few years.
      At least they realized that Worms just doesn’t work in 3D.

19. Ozzie says:

Gee, they don’t even manage to make good Worms games anymore.
    I don’t pity them, they just heat up again and again their old concepts, but don’t manage to reach the same great heights they once did. What was the last original game they developed? Must have been at least a decade ago…
    Why should I give them money again? They bet always so safe that sooner or later they will lose.

20. Sir Derpicus says:

What I don’t get is why the cinematics at the beginning looks worse than the gameplay footage.

21. Baka says:

Is the demo actually working for anyone?
    Trying to start it leads me to their Store-page, not to the game itself (AFTER installing VC++ for the 300th fucking time!).

• Baka says:

Got it running now.
      I think I played it exactly as long as the “first” one for exactly the same reasons.
      Controls aren’t fun in this game, why did they decide on such a cumbersome camera?
      Also, taking controls away from me every 5 seconds or so is no fun.
      So no Co-Op for me and my buddies, no 8 quid for them.

22. Meneldil says:

Well, I found Alien Breed: Impact to be enjoyable. Fast-paced, nice graphics and what not.

A bit repetitive and it clearly shows they tried to increased the game’s lenght by making you run around a lot, but still. I got it for a few € during a sale, and think it was worth it.

Alien Swarm is indeed better, but it’s a multiplayer game.

Then again, I’ve never played the original Alien Breeds, so I can’t comment on how the new version compares to the old one.

23. loGi says:

Seems like it’s singleplayer-only?

The best apart Valve’s game was the multiplayer.

24. Milkman says:

Worms 3D wasnt that bad. It was actually pretty good game.

• Vague-rant says:

Yeh, I liked it too. Unfortunately everyone only ever wanted to play 2d :(. The super sheep was quite fun in 3D

• Ranneko says:

I too loved Worms 3D. It was a really fun game and the mobility, combined with the increase amount of edge made prod a force to be reckoned with.

Pity that the camera was so amazingly awful.

25. BT says:

I played/finished the demo. It’s OK. That’s about all you can say about it. Plays well using xbox controller. Nothing special in the gameplay department. Better than the first Alien Breed demo, which I uninstalled after an hour.

Downloading the demo of Shadowgrounds to try that out. Should keep me occupied until the new 2D Lara Croft game unlocks in 4 days. Lara Croft looks fantastic… and so does the new game.

26. Buzzmong says:

I’ve got an axe to grind with Team 17 over Impact. All they had to do was remake the original but they decided to completely chuck away the winning formula.

Main points are:

1) No more resource management: There’s no keys for doors anymore baring the odd security keycard (which means you go to the door, get attacked, find the key, get attacked, go back to the door, get attacked, go through door, get attacked, more on this in point 2).

Same issue with ammo. You’ve got a default pistol with unlimited ammo, so running out off your main guns isn’t worrying at all.

One of the more interesting aspects of the original was deciding what to do when you were low on keys or ammo. Do you spend the credits you’re saving for the next gun on them? Or use the last key up and hope the room you can’t completely see has a couple in it?

It’s lost the survival feel of it.

Arguably the original was a bit harsh in that regard as you could find yourself with no option but to die and restart, but it was at least more engaging as a player to know you could screw up good and proper.

2) Repetition: Refer back to point 1 regarding the keycards and expand it to every single objective. After about the 3rd level I was actually wishing to not be attacked when I did the next objective just for something different to happen. It’s mind numbing.

A notable example of how to do repetitive killing properly is Serious Sam, mostly because the enemies are so varied that each fight is different enough to keep you interested. Impact just has nondescript aliens and the environments simply come in different shades of gray and brown. It’s boring.

3) Explosions. This is a capital sin. There’s often quite a few going off in levels around you. They don’t hurt you and do nothing. So you tune them out. The end of a level where they pay homage to the originals’ “alarms going off, it’s all gone red, and there’s a timer, RUN!” levels is made boring due to sheer abundance of explosions through the rest of the game.

What I’m saying is that somehow T17 made explosions boring. Something I didn’t think possible before I played Impact.

The weapon upgrades are also pointless, you buy the more damage per bullet one for every gun and then ignore the entire system.

What gets me is that the actual game is quite polished on a technical level. It looks nice, runs well, doesn’t crash and seems to be bug free. It’s a shame that for T17 to do that they’ve basically just raided some game design textbook and pumped out something which is bland and uninspiring.

tldr: I won’t be buying Assault as the first title was terrible.

27. Kakrafoon says:

I really hate the “customization” options for the player weapons in Alien Breed: Impact. First, there are only about 4 or 5 of them, and you can’t even fit your guns out with multiple upgrades – if you want rapid fire, you can have it – but not at the same time as the heavy-barrel-more-damage-upgrade. From a dakka point of view, it was very very bad gameplay. Also, using grenades was so unintuitive and complicated. Bah.

28. Poita says:

My hometown ‘Wakefield’ is’nt doing well these days. First Team 17 (whose office used to be above the Playland arcade I misspend my youth at) get shafted by Valve then Chloe Mafia gets evicerated (justifiably) by the media.

Comment on this story