The RPS Bargain Bucket: Hideous

By Lewie Procter on September 25th, 2010 at 11:34 am.

The eyes are open. The soul is closed.

Witness my stoney-eyed stare. Perched on the rim of the bargain bucket, I see to the very heart and soul of all the merchants in the digital trading halls of the world wide web. I silently command them to reduce their prices slightly, all for your benefit. Have your payment solutions at the ready, and clear some space on your hard drive, because here’s another bountiful bucket of computer gaming savings. Remember to click on SavyGamer.co.uk regularly for up to the minute information on what games are being discounted right this very moment. If there is a bargain bucket next weekend, you’ll probably have to get it off me live. Poke me if you see me in or around the Eurogamer Expo, and I’ll probably know what’s cheap on Steam.

Serious Sam. All of them cheap.
There’s a few different options here, so bare with me.
Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition – £7.50/€10/$10
Includes:
Serious Sam: The First Encounter,
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter,
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

It’s my understanding that the main reasons that you would want the originals in addition the the shiny High Definition (with the same resolution support as the old ones) versions are that a certain section involving gravity shifting isn’t present in the newer ones, and there is no split screen in the HD versions either. There doesn’t appear to be any way to buy the non-HD versions individually, I think they are only available in this pack.

Serious Sam HD: Double Pack – £5.49/€7.49/$7.49
Includes:
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter,
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter – £2.99/€3.74/$3.74
Also available as a 4-pack for £2.25/€2.81/2.81 each

Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter – £4.49/€4.99/$4.99
Also available as a 4-pack for £3.38/€3.75/$3.75 each

Kieron’s got the complete guide to all things Serious, and all things Sam. Located here.

Global Agenda – £13.13/similarly discounted globally
Apply coupon “LongLiveShooterMMOs”
I can’t get it to tell me the Dollar and Euro prices, but they should be roughly similar to the UK price. What ever happened to the RPS Agency, did you get up to any massively mischievous online shooting? Lovable giant Phill Cameron spent some time with it here. RPS coverage here.

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, PC – £4.99/€7.99
Sorry this one is outlawed in the USA. Clearly American audiences would be put off with this outlandish import game about cowboys. I’ve not played this one, but Alec and Jim and John have brief word thinks here and here and here. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this available for sub-£10 before, and it even stayed rather high when it was in Steam sales, so this is a rather good discount.

Civilization 5 – £25.25/€29.62/$39.96
Apply coupon “D2DTWITTER”
I think the UK price has to pay tax on top of that, but I can’t seem to find out. Should still be the cheapest I’ve seen it as a download, but you might want to double check that Get Games isn’t cheaper. You get a code to plug into Steam. Alec has kindly told us wot he thinks about Civ 5 here, and there was even some natter about it in the RPS MEGA-Electronic Wireless show. I played the demo, and my biggest gripe was that it didn’t let me turn on any AA. Probably a bug, I bet my drivers are out of date or something. Civ is the granddaddy of strategy games, and this one is pretty, and probably will take hold of your time as well as any of the others. Demo here.

Deal of the week
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light & Tomb Raider: Legend – £9.99/€14.99/$14.99
This is a pretty nice offer. It’s been quite a while since Legend has been discounted significantly, and it’s my favourite of the three Crystal Dynamics traditional Raiders. Guardian of Light is certainly worth your attention too. You’ve probably heard how it’s a fun isometric actiony puzzler, a bit like a Zelda dungeon and with good coop and single player, but have you heard about the spears? Let me tell you about the spears. You can throw the spears in three hundred and sixty degrees. When they hit something, they let out a meaty thwish, and stick in whatever they hit (except for a few surfaces). When the baddies run at you and try to kill you, you throw a spear into it, and then another, and you keep doing that until it dies, leaving behinda spear filled corpse and treasure. LC:GoL is a spear ‘em up with filler between spears. There’s no online coop yet because Eidos realised they could get money now if they sold it now, and finished it later. Very clever. There is DLC on the way, adding more levels and additional playable characters. Kain and Raziel please. RPS coverage here. Note: Not actually out until the 28th of September, this is a preorder offer, you won’t get Legend for free after it is out.

Also of note:
Gratuitous Space Battles – £7.34/€8.52/$11.49
And all the DLC is down to £1.99/€2.31/$3.12. You can finally get The Nomads for cheap. You can also get Gratuitous Space Battles Complete, with the first three DLCs, for £7.89/€9.26/$12.49
Fallout: New Vegas – $39.96 North and South America only, apply coupon “IGNDEAL”. you will get a code to plug into Steam.

Remember to keep your eyes and ears on Savygamer.co.uk

And thanks to Andreas “Hideous” Jörgensen for the image. Thanks a lot.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Schaulustiger says:

When I switch to the EU site for Direct2Drive’s Civ V offer, I only get the regular price of 49,95€. So, is the deal limited to UK folks or do I have to use the UK site to buy this? I haven’t used D2D before.

• CMaster says:

My understanding is that with D2D you can buy it from whichever site you like.

• LewieP says:

What browser are you using? Recently Chrome has been redirecting me to the UK site, but firefox let me order it from the USA site.

Schaulustiger says:

I used Firefox and I was indeed able to make the purchase from the UK site. Euro price was €36,09, though. Still the cheapest possibility I have found so far.

Schaulustiger says:

I forgot: Zhe US site wasn’T available from me. Thanks to the Dollar conversion it would probably have been even cheaper, I guess. Well, I got a good deal, too :)

Schaulustiger says:

Oh, me and my typing skills… I wanted to say: The US site wasn’t available for me.

• -Spooky- says:

Schaulustiger ..

– Surf to D2D US, shop CiV 5, apply the coupon
      – have fun

No need to use the D2D EU site

2. BooleanBob says:

Bargain Wok?

3. Decimae says:

The code for CIV V gives me an “expired” error.

Also, I believe that Gratitious Space Battles with all the expansion packs is cheaper on Impulse:

4. kupocake says:

Civ 5 Direct to Drive: Civ 5 is still £24.99 on Amazon. There’s no paper manual, but you do at least get a tech tree and a cardboard sleeve. UK Digital for the game has been a completely passable proposition since it was announced.

• Bowlby says:

The downloadable version is slightly more expensive than the retail copy, and it lacks some peripheral items like the case and map. However, if you’re the sort of person who has to have the game right at this minute, without the bother of going to the shops, the downloadable version makes sense. It depends on how you weigh up the various factors, imo.

Of course, if you’re talking about pre-ordering, then you’re right in that I can’t see why you’d bother with the downloadable version. You’d likely get the game through the post box on the same day Steam unlocks it, anyhow.

Personally, I’m waiting for a price cut.

5. FranticMushroom says:

That Civ 5 link isn’t working. Cheers for the expired code and a waste of my time. As far as digital downloads go, the only place I can see it cheaper than £29.99 is Getgamesgo

• Unaco says:

Yeah Lewie… Thanks for trying to be helpful, spending your Saturday mornings searching out cheap PC gamage for the RPS faithful, when I’m sure you’d much rather be nursing a hangover or sleeping.

6. apmlay says:

I tried the IGNDEAL code on the US D2D site for Fallout New Vegas and it said, “Your coupon or discount has expired.”

7. raddevon says:

Din’s Curse is on sale at Impulse:

It’s like Diablo but both dungeons and towns are randomly generated. You’ll get quests in town which you complete in that town’s dungeon. Once the main quest for that dungeon is complete, you can move on to another random town. It’s supposed to have well over a hundred combinations for your character’s class. The graphics are a bit rough, but it’s a lot of fun.

8. LewieP says:

Oh man, sorry about the Civ5 deal expiring guys, it was working when I checked it earlier.

The Get Games price is the cheapest that I am ware of for a download code now.

9. Auspex says:

Contribution!

Academagia 40% off at Impulse – £9.47

KG’s impressions:

Probably worth a shot for less than £10 but it doesn’t exactly grab you from the off.

• Bullwinkle says:

Academagia is definitely a bit opaque at the beginning, but it’s a real blast. The number of options you have is staggering, the stories are remarkably well-written, and there’s a ton of replayability. If you ever wanted to go to wizard school, I can’t recommend this game enough. Certainly worth every penny at $15.

• HYPERPOWERi says:

Holy crap, this game is awesome.

If you’re looking for a very well-presented, well-written text adventure with pretty art and a lot, a lot of replay value, this is it.

abhishek says:

If the IGNDEAL coupon code is expired, one can use the code D2DTWITTER to get 10$ off any purchase of 49.95$ or greater on direct2drive.com. It’s not quite as good as the first one, but it is practically the same if you’re just after a single 50$ games. Still working as of this post.

• LewieP says:

Brilliant! I’ll update the post. Thanks.

• Doctor_Hellsturm says:

“Your purchase has to be reviewed by a customer service agent. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” Damn you d2d, i want my civ!

11. Vague-rant says:

Garry’s mod is 50% on steam. In any case I assume anyone who wants to buy it probably already has, but just in case…

12. iLag says:

no love for the Soldak RPGs here? this bucket has failed. sadface.

13. Alexander Norris says:

I’d say Bound in Blood is just about worth £5, though it’ll only run if you set your Windows sound quality to the lowest setting and don’t have Hamachi running. The single player is competent enough and the multiplayer is quite fun when you can find a game (there seems to be a populated server most evenings), mostly on account of the period guns and the neat first-person cover system.

• Oak says:

I spent a good week totally swept up in the multiplayer. At its best, that was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in an online shooter.

14. leeder_krenon says:

are you taking a dump into the bargain bucket? is it a metaphor for how awful the games on offer are?

15. FranticMushroom says:

WTF! I just typed in that twitter code and it says

“Your coupon or discount is not valid for the product in your cart.”

Fuck it I’ll buy CIV from Get Games. Disappointing bargain bucket this week! Why was this price not checked before being posted?

:-/ I’d be quicker doing a google search.

• LewieP says:

I checked them multiple times before posting, I can’t help it if coupons expire after it is posted.

It’s a bargain bucket, not a crystal ball.

• FranticMushroom says:

Ok fair enough, but I don’t understand why it was edited to reflect the D2D drive which wasn’t cheaper in the first place (if you include tax) and again it wasn’t cheaper when you edited it. Thanks for the post though. :) – I held of buying Civ till today though to see what price you could find for it..And I wasted like an hour messing about with D2D only to have to buy it elsewhere….*sigh*

In any case…Its downloading as I type this…..

W00p!

16. Mitya says:

Yes! Soldak’s offerings on Impulse must be mentioned.

17. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The Bargain Bucket posts are always great–you’re saving me money and time (that I would otherwise spend hunting down deals myself). Thanks again, Lewie!

18. iopan says:

Civilization 5 – £25.25/€29.62/$39.96
    Apply coupon “D2DTWITTER”—-

Apply coupon doesn´t work for me. Tried european,uk and us shop….. has somebody made better experiences?
    Hints appreciated ;)

• Blather Blob says:

@iopan: “D2DTWITTER” (without the quotes) is still working for me on the .com US site, though I should note that the US site is the default it chooses for me. I add the coupon to the checkout screen and it shows “Twitter Deal – $10 off $49.95 or more” and subtracts $10 from the price.

It even works if I clear my cookies and first try the expired IGNDEAL coupon, and it still accepts and applies D2DTWITTER when I type it in. I have no idea why it’s not working. I’d try clearing your cookies, going to D2D’s US site, adding the game to the cart and applying the coupon and seeing if it works and then try logging in, just to rule out some sort of region-locking account related problems. I’m using Firefox if that makes any difference.

19. Graham says:

$10 Blood Bowl on Impulse too, if anyone missed the Steam Sale:

[May be U.S. only, I don’t know how Impulse works]

• Saiko Kila says:

If it states Territory: Worldwide then it’s for all market. Unfortunately Impulse is quite bad for many titles. For instance, it never had Anno 1404 and addon Venice for markets outside NA. I bought this when addon wasn’t available yet, moved out, and now cannot buy the addon. That’s the reason I tend to avoid Impulse.

20. Skoul says:

Get Games has Anno 1404 for £7.49 or £12.48 with the Venice Expansion

21. Wooly says:

More games really should use CoJ’s excellent cover system.

22. Vae Victus says:

Just got the Direct 2 Drive deal to work for Civ 5.

I’m in Norway and I just paid 230 NOK for the US version and it’s almost 400 NOK here through Steam. Almost half price!

23. Kevin says:

Any idea which pre-order package we get with Fallout New Vegas? The coupon’s for D2D but the game’s on Steam.

24. Flappybat says:

There’s more than just call of juarez on getgames

Assassins Creed II £9.99 for example

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

They shoud pay ME to play one of those UBICrap’s Always On games like Ass. Creed II or Silent Hunter V. UBICrap is still trying it over and over again…it’s really boring to see the same discount price on Far Cry II over and over again (it should be the regular price, 30 euros is like asking 24 euro’s for COD4…oh wait :D )

Boo, UBICRAP, boo…

25. Vinraith says:

For Americans, GoGamer.com is running a pretty good “less than $3″ sale this weekend. Also, in the side bar, they’ve got some nice dicounts on “vintage” stuff as well. Thief Collection for $12, Age of Mythology Gold for $10, that sort of thing.

• Tetragrammaton says:

Nice, thanks for the heads up, Ive been craving a thief marathon for a while.

26. Starky says:

I’ve just noticed, Lewie looks like a young Frankie Boyle…

Awesome.

27. LewieP says:

I really don’t look like Frankie Boyle.

Not at all.

• John Peat says:

We’ll ask your new co-contributor Rab – he’s a friend of Mr Boyle so we can get a definitive answer I reckon…

• Nallen says:

Really? Because the first thing I thought was, ‘so this is what you’ve been doing since Mock the Week’

28. Matzerath says:

Idly fondling Daikatana is what makes it for me.

Hideous says:

You’re welcome. ;)

30. Starayo says:

Thanks for tipping me off on the getgamesgo civ V deal! They’ll sell to me (Australian) while direct2drive won’t. £26.99 works out at around $45 AUD, whereas if I were to buy it on steam they want me to pay $80 USD! Total crap.

31. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Suck It Down(TM)

32. K says:

I’ll pay top dollar for any game with Kain and Raziel in them. I really have to play that series again sometime. So incredibly underrated.