Doublefine Recruits Staff Member

By Kieron Gillen on September 27th, 2010 at 7:52 pm.

Which isn’t much of a story, until Kotaku reveal that the staffmember is in fact Ron “Monkey Island” Gilbert, being hired by Tim “Monkey Island” Schafer. The interview is really worth reading for the gags alone, but basically Gilbert was working in the Double Fine office (As he hates working from Home) and Schafer offered him the gig to make what they were talking about. This fits neatly into Doublefine’s current many-small-games biz plan. RPS will look forward to the announcement of the game, doing several posts until the fact it’s a console exclusive is revealed and then rolling our eyes and wondering why we bother writing about Double Fine when they bit our pretty red heart in two, Daddy, Daddy, You Bastard, etc.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Brumisator says:

I’m not gong to open up my heart only to have it broken by console games again.

• sfury says:

Easy now, small easy-portable games and no big publisher commanding where and how they will be released means we’ll see them on any digital download service they can think of. And PC has plenty of those.

Right, Double Fine? Right?!

• Hidden_7 says:

Costume Quest, which is the first of their smaller titles has only been confirmed for PSN and XBox Live.

It might come out on PC later, and other games might have PC releases, but so far I don’t see any reason to assume anything coming out of Double Fine is going to be relevant to PC users. Both Schafer and Gilbert have certainly SAID that they like the PC and insinuated that stuff would eventually come out on PC or that they’d like to see them on PC, but so far none of those words have translated to actions.

Such a shame, I really enjoyed Psychonauts.

2. Veret says:

Sylvia Plath, Kieron? Really? I think you just went from jubilant to emo in record time.

3. JohnnyMaverik says:

Well they do both hate the pc so I can understand why you think this is relevant to us ifthissoundsangryit’sbecausetimshaferandrongibertbrokemyheartandshitonmylove-_-

fk em, both of their last two games looked kinda balls anyway, so meh to Rob Gilbert, Tim Shafer and Double Fine.

4. Nick says:

I bet they’ll make a nice only console game.

5. sfury says:

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

“It’s an idea that I’ve been batting around for many, many years,” he said. “I’ve been talking to Tim over the last couple of months about it and it sort of percolated back up. It’s very different than DeathSpank, it’s a bit of a departure from that. It’s going in a very interesting direction.

“Fans of those old adventure games will like it.”

6. perestroika says:

deathspank had the same idea, yet no pc release :(

• perestroika says:

ok this was a reply to the first post. i blame somebody else.

• Ignorant Texan says:

While I’m still butt-sore about Deathspank, blame Hothead/EA, not Ron Gilbert for the console only release. RG has stated he hopes Deathspank is a combined(both the first and Thongs of Virtue) release for PC after the PSN and XBLA exclusive periods expire. He does state it’s beyond his control, though.

• Tei says:

The reviews of deathspank make it sounds the unfunny type of funny. So maybe nothing of value is lost.

• Ignorant Texan says:

From Ron Gilbert’s twitter feed by way of Grumpy Gamer( http://grumpygamer.com/ ): ‘@treeboiandkone Thanks! I have no idea when there will be a PC DeathSpank. Unfortunately, I have no say in the matter.’

7. stahlwerk says:

Exciting news! I predict only good things will come from this.

8. rocketman71 says:

So what?. BrĂ¼tal Legend?. No PC version. Deathspank?. No PC version.

Until that changes, I can’t say I’m excited in the least about this.

9. Rich says:

If they do it again I hope RPS send a break up letter to them, explaining why we just can’t let ourselves be hurt any more.

10. Mo says:

Super exciting! Between Telltale and Double Fine, the brightest minds in adventure games are all back together now.

And even more exciting, is that they’re still essentially writing adventure games. Double Fine might not be doing that in the purest sense of the term, but their adventure game roots are definitely evident in their games.

11. Jimbo says:

Schafer made better games after Gilbert had left.

12. Hmm-Hmm. says:

We will see. Seems those guys have fun together, so that seems to be a good portent. But considering console-centric directions in the past, I remain wary. Yet, I can’t help but be hopeful for the future of gaming.

13. Rick says:

Double-Fine should merge with Telltale – reuniting with Grossman and Stemmle – then adopt Telltale’s lovely approach of “PC first, worry about consoles later”.

14. ed says:

I may be another PC-only-er and have therefore missed out on playing both Brutal Legend and Deathspank (for now, hopefully) but this is, to me, some of the best gaming news I’ve heard. Back when I heard Ron had a desk at Double Fine I was (and not alone) clamoring on forums and in blog comments that they should hire him. It just seems the perfect studio for Ron Gilbert games to come out of. Even Telltale’s work, though great, doesn’t feel as unique or evocative as the cream of the LEC crop. That quality seems to be alive and well in Double Fine though.

15. Grape Flavor says:

Jack Black is a grating unfunny hack and as such I find it hard to believe even Double Fine could deliver a game I’d be interested in with him as the main character. Of course I could be wrong.

What everyone (meaning me) wants is a new Psychonauts! Shafer has said he’s interested so I don’t know what the huge holdup is, unless they think they’ve exhausted their ideas and just can’t do it. I’m not a blind proponent of sequelitis but if they can deliver a game even remotely close to the quality of the original it’s a day one purchase.

• Vodka & Cookies says:

I cannot fathom the internet hate towards Jack Black in general. Whenever he’s in something all you see is whining despite the fact he is a very down to earth guy, he was perfect for Brutal Legend & I couldn’t image anyone else voicing the main character.

There are far, far worse actors out there.

I think the hate seems to stem from that he specialized in doing a particular character the “zealous music fan” although he has done plenty of other stuff not playing this type of character. Loads of actors do this too a so why all the hate is a mystery, if you dont find him funny at all then there is a strong possibility whatever your watching him in wasn’t made for the likes of you.

• Nick says:

It was over saturation of bad stuff with him in it I think. He is fine and has been in some great films, but there was a period of almost constant trash where he seemed to be in everything and most of it was bad.

• Ignorant Texan says:

And, sadly, he is much better as a supporting actor. For me, he becomes grating as a lead.

• Grape Flavor says:

I don’t hate him as a person, I just find his shtick wears thin quickly if the whole movie is based around it. As a supporting actor he’s fine, like in Tropic Thunder. Maybe “hack” was a little harsh.

16. LionsPhil says:

I fail to see how this is relevant given they’ve both abandoned both the PC and adventure games.

Psychonauts was a waste of good writing and character design on a terrible, terrible platformer.

17. Blants says:

I think most people here are hoping for a new psychonauts.

Comment on this story