The Gun Club: Bulletstorm Shootosity

By Kieron Gillen on September 27th, 2010 at 11:23 am.

If only I could shoot at the monsters. Oh yeah!

Finally watched the latest footage from Bulletstorm, which – like last time - is producer Tanya Jessen having a good old yabber over the last demo. In this case, from the Tokyo game-show. This time, we’re weapon centric, talking about how they’ve concentrated on making sure the gun that fires enormous cannonballs is the sort of enormous, cannonball-firing gun they want. Go footage!

, , .

1. poop says:

looks a bit too context-sentivityey for me :X maybe its just the way that the game is being demoed but I hope the game doesn’t have as many times where i gotta press A to do something wacky

2. latedave says:

Hmmm still can’t quite decide, looks a bit Serious Sam with little AI but big guns which was fun at the time. Its got to be better than yet another military era FPS! I do rather like the cannonball gun…

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Serious Sam had a much better cannonball gun than this too!

3. Phinor says:

Although I loved Serious Sams back in the day and thought Painkiller was actually good, I haven’t found anything of interest in these Bulletstorm videos. Looks dull and something I’d get bored of in three minutes. Not sure what it is but I’m starting to hate this game for no apparent reason.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m feeling very similar. I think the reason it doesn’t appeal too much is because it looks like Serious Sam but with hardly any enemies on screen at once. Now where’s the fun in that?

• DJ Phantoon says:

The fun in that, sir, is the GRAPPLE BEAM he has.

If you do not love the GRAPPLE BEAM then I am afraid you might be a robot, as people are capable of love.

4. Tei says:

I like the map. It looks like soo good, deserve to be used for a more serius game. But you can’t blame people for being “too good”.

5. Nova says:

Wow you even get points for directly hitting an enemy… with a gun.

6. empty_other says:

Ugh, UnrealEngine 3 graphics at its worst.

Yes, sometimes the developers can create stunningly goodlooking UE3 games (Batman: Arkham Asylum), but mostly they use Epics style: Too much bloom, too many polygons on every flat surface, weird colored distance fog, weird sunlight and a completely unrealistic “shine”/specular map.

7. Po0py says:

It looks the business but the gameplay looks too scripted and linear for my liking. Show me a more open plan, sandboxy level and I’ll be interested.

• Jimmy Jazz says:

Well, in some sense I agree with you. but focused linear games can provide experiences that you wouldn’t otherwise get. best example: Half-life (2). or maybe for Consoles Uncharted 2.

what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you should be writing this game off just yet.

8. Brian says:

I watched with little interest until “Looks like big brother wants his lunch money.” This game looks no more than a mix of Borderlands and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic with Duke Nukem one-liners. A demo had better wow me because this game looks very uninteresting from what I’ve seen so far.

• KauhuK says:

This game reminded me of Dark Messiah too. Interesting shooter mix this bulletstrom but it has this console game feeling all over it. Gotta test demo though.

9. Risingson says:

The Gun Club’s “Fire of love” is one of my most favourite albums ever. I usually sing “Sex beat” to myself at least 5 times a day. Your musical references always make me smile, Kieron.

Lars Westergren says:

The score labels are very distracting, I hope they will be toned down or possible to disable.

But then, I’m probably not in the target audience for this thing anyway. Gleeful violence leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Sir, as the target audience for this sort of thing, I have only one thing to say. Well, followed by a lot of other thing.

Yes. Yes please. Yes please with a side of the super shotgun and a chainsaw because I want a testosterone filled bullety game. No garbage about being scary, or moving slow, or low ammo, or magical luck based armor. I want a game where I kill thousands of dudes, because they looked at me funny. What I’m saying is, when did they say Duke Nukem Forever was coming out again?

Dumb shooty games like this are indulgent to the testosterone filled part of the reptile brain. Which is okay, or should be! There should be nothing wrong with a game with the panache and refined grace of the Doomguy with a berserk pack.

Also, the voice for both the main character and the girl sounded familiar. Anyone know who they are?

• Shrewsbury says:

I believe the voice actor for the girl is Jennifer Hale, of Female Shepard fame.

• gryffinp says:

And the voice of the Main Character is Steven Jay Blum, of, well, god damn everything fame.

As far as I’m concerned Steve Blum is the best thing about Bulletstorm so far.

11. Cael says:

I think it looks pretty good, a lot more like painkiller than gears of war (which is a good thing in my book). I’m actually kind of surprised since it’s being developed for consoles, I figured it would feature another bulky slow guy with autoaim.

12. bleeters says:

Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale. I’ll go fetch my credit card, shall I?

13. Wooly says:

There weren’t enough giant dicks in this trailer.

14. JohnnyMaverik says:

“I’m actually really looking forward to Bulletstorm, which is a little surprising considering how desperately uninteresting I found People Can Fly’s previous opus, Painkiller. It still seems to have all the intelligence of non-biotic yoghurt, but it all seems angled to be the right kind of imaginative not-smart. Point-chasing ultra-violence can absolutely be my kind of thing.”

Seconded.