Mine It So: Enterprise-D In Minecraft

By John Walker on September 28th, 2010 at 2:43 pm.

Weep.

Last night I stayed up until 4.30am building a house in Minecraft. Not a good house. A very ordinary two-storey, flat-roofed house, that serves no purpose, and most pointlessly of all is immediately next to my main cave dwellings. I think I may have a problem. Unlike halnicholas, whose only problem is being too amazing. Oh good grief, this puts things into perspective: the Enterprise-D build 1:1 scale out of Minecraft blocks. Those words cannot convey the complexity of the project. Well, have a look at the video below.

The confusion of admiration and utter horror experienced when watching this was extraordinary. It was the best worst thing I’ve ever seen. I’ve never been less/more impressed. He should surely be simultaneously sectioned, and carried aloft our shoulders throughout the town. And then I realised that it’s imported, so it’s not as impressive/disturbing as I first thought. But still impressive/disturbing. He explains,

“The Minecraft world uses 1m^3 blocks, ans so, I simply converted my already scaled plans into a format that minecraft could take and imported each deck in batch, leaving 4 spaces in between for walls.”

And he’s after help finishing it, with much work to do. He describes the plans:

“The original Enterprise is 642.5 Meters x 467.0 Meters x 137.5 Meters. This is about 3m per deck. Sadly, with the 1m deck you have to walk on, that only leaves 2m left over for hallway space. As your character is only 1.7m tall, you will be bumping your head around a lot. I decided to make the ship 22% bigger, so I could have 4 m per deck. That puts the final size @ 785m x 570m x 168m. I made my “pit” 800x600x180 to fit all 42 decks and almost made a critical error. Even though there are 42 decks on the enterprise, the 2nd deck is split into two half-decks, making actually 43. I made the pit bigger than the ship so I could have a little wiggle room and just missed making it too shallow. In my testing, the halls can get a little cramped. The current decks are just a guideline and framework. They don’t call it “Creative Mode” for nothing.

The halls are going to be sand-obsidian-sand (To give that light brown look with the black touch panel in the center). I also don’t know how to fly yet, will be making it much easier to work on the ship.

1) I need to turn flying on. 2) I need to model and import the warp nacelles, just so I have the framework there. 3) I need to make a dirt floor so people can start building scaffolding from the bottom. (You can’t plant blocks on Adminium) 4) I would live to get rid of the Admininum walls. 5) I should put this online so people can help. I need to come up with a pretty solid anti-griefing policy and need many like-minded people so I don’t wind up with cocks in the shuttlebays.”

, , , .

1. Dave says:

Alright, this is getting out of hand.

• Lukasz says:

I know.

and it’s AWESOME!

• BAReFOOt says:

What I don’t get, is why everyone says that those blocks are 1m³. They clearly aren’t, from how small they are when you carry them in your hands. And from a height of two and a width of one being way too small for a normal corridor. They are more like 0.125m³ ((50cm)³) when you hold them, and 0.3m³ (~(67cm)³) when you walk trough them.

• KillahMate says:

Heh. That would mean that, in expanding the decks to 4 blocks, he actually made it to near-scale.

2. rebb says:

Jeebus. Thats just. Whoa.

He should make absolutely sure to admin his server properly, maybe use a whitelist, be able to rollback if things get griefed etc.

3. bbot says:

Right, right, this skit’s over. It’s getting far too silly.

4. jon_hill987 says:

Tea, earl grey, hot.

5. Spatula says:

Cocks in the shuttled bays? That damned Wesley Crusher….

6. BaronWR says:

“so I don’t wind up with cocks in the shuttlebays.”

truly, we are living in the future.

7. JonFitt says:

It is impressive looking, but it’s imported. So that just makes it an impressive file conversion.

I prefer the builds which have clearly been made by human hands.

8. mistabashi says:

You guys should really check out the unofficial RPS server, we have a giant Death Star among other things :)

9. Tusque d'Ivoire says:

why does he need the scaffolding on the edge of the disk if he simply imported his model into the minecraft format?

Still, i saw the video without knowing what to expect earlier today and my jaw literally dropped. amazingly beautiful, seeing the ship just sitting there in the fog. A lot like these shipyard scenes in i think 2 or three of the star trek movies.

10. teo says:

He didn’t actually build it in minecraft, he imported a model

AndrewC says:

Everytime someone doesn’t read the article before posting a comment, a John Walker starts crying.

Hodge says:

Though, to be fair, a John Walker often starts crying.

• Bullwinkle says:

He actually built this from scratch? He should have just imported a model.

• battles_atlas says:

He scratched himself on the model? He should have just built it in minecraft

11. viper34j says:

L…M…F…A…O

12. LewieP says:

Halkun is a cool dude. His amazing brain for detail once cost Sony millions of pounds. He also has made a near complete port of the FF7 engine to the PC that is miles better than the official port.

13. zornbringer says:

first thing that came to my mind when i saw the pic: SICK!

watching video now…

14. Spooner says:

As far as I can tell, he imported existing 2D floor-plans at 4m intervals so it is nothing but a vague skeleton in 3D. He now wants real people to actually fill in all the gaps, such as building up the walls and putting in turbolifts and other details. I’d want to improve my import first, rather than get a bad import then spend a person-year of effort filling it all in :)

15. Moonracer says:

I’m wondering how many people would know what the heck they were doing enough to accurately fill in that thing.

16. Inverness says:

I’d be highly interested in downloading this frame for Minecraft Alpha. It would be an epic project.

17. BSG11 says:

If you’re reading this, Halnicholas, I love you.

Where’re my Ent-D blueprints and tech manual? I think I want to help.

18. DMJ says:

It would appear that my mighty and until now impressive (to me) Fortress of Glass and Iron atop a mountain carved into a vague approximation of a human skull is, in the grand scheme of things, little more than playing in the mud making tractor noises.

19. Longrat says:

This guy is fucking nuts.

Hodge says:

The singularity will happen in Minecraft. It’s only a matter of time.

• Inverness says:

If by singularity you mean Skynet, then yes, our days are numbered.

• stahlwerk says:

We don’t have anything to fear in the sunlight; well, unless they shoot out the sun, that is, or cause permanent storm clouds.

But they wouldn’t do that…

would they?

• Wulf says:

I wouldn’t be surprised, since Minecraft does seem to be the unifying ideal, doesn’t it? Everyone seems to love it. First, we need to introduce more of the world to it, then we need Minecraft superservers to get large amounts of people together in one place, and after that? Who knows.

21. Miko says:

That’s pretty amazing.

But really, nothing you make in Minecraft *counts* to me unless you’ve dug up and placed every single block yourself. I’m just old-fashioned that way.

22. erik says:

“This thing is FUCKING ENORMOUS”

• Urael says:

As a long time fan of the design even I was impressed by how FUCKING HUGE it looks up close.

Next up: A Borg cube.

23. brulleks says:

“…so I don’t wind up with cocks in the shuttlebays.”

Would that make them….

wait for it…

Shuttlecocks?

Oh come on, someone had to do it. And I have no shame.

• Wulf says:

Somewhere, right now, someone is in Minecraft creating a gigantic dong with warp nacelles attached to it. And it’s all your fault.

24. Navagon says:

Wow. That’s pretty impressive. I know he didn’t make it block by block. But it’s really… not what you’d expect to see in Minecraft.

25. Wooly says:

Good gravy.

26. Bullwinkle says:

Without realizing it, Notch has created the greatest diagnostic tool for mental disorders yet known. I bet this thing could detect serial killers.

27. battles_atlas says:

He scratched himself on the lifesize model? He should have just built it in minecraft

28. Koozer says:

Why did the actress lease Star Trek? Because William Shatner.

29. Remmoth says:

Hmm he didn’t even remove the fkn tags. Those tags aren’t part of the structure so there would be no reason to model them either in a 3d program for import or by hand in minecraft

He just ripped the model and then made a nerdy video.

Limbo of the Minecraft-Trekkie-Virgin.

• Remmoth says:

Sorry guys, a friend forwarded me that link, had no idea it had viruses.. seems odd. Can someone delete it please? I cant edit my post.

30. humptygrumpty says:

NO ONE go to the link remmoth posted. if you’ve got JAVA enabled, you’ll get a shitload of viruses. Remmoth, check you computer bro, seriously.

• D says:

Maybe you check yours? Subsim is completely clean. To me.

• Koozer says:

I clicked it and Avast! threw up two warnings. At least I know it’s working after switching from AVG!

• RedFred says:

Yeah MSE shat it’s pants and closed Firefox for me when I clicked.

31. Hal Kilmer says:

Surely this kind of brain power could be used for a better purpose?

• MD says:

That is amazing. And don’t let’s start on the ‘waste of time/effort/intelligence’ thing. He’s creating something amazing, excercising his mind, entertaining/inspiring thousands of others, and probably having a great time in the process.

32. sidereal says:

cocks in the shuttlebays

Make it so

33. Scaniport says:

Indeed!

34. GGign says:

This is the main image from the site Remmoth linked (without all the Java shenanigans): http://i.imgur.com/RQykW.jpg

He’s right too, it’s the same model that’s just been ripped and imported into minecraft with ModelGen. Those “scaffolds” are the notation tags from the original model that he was too lazy to delete.

Cool that it’s capable of importing, but crappy that this asshat is acting like it’s his work.

35. KillahMate says:

What I find amazing is that the Minecraft engine supports this kind of thing. As he says, this thing is fucking huge, and it’s a dynamic model working in real time. In Java, with no GPU! Voxels have come a long way…

36. thenagus says:

I wouldn’t be so quick to flame halkun, and accuse him of stealing from the Enterprise in google earth.

Look at this thread of a trek forum from ages ago:

Or this one from the PA forums:

Note the link he gives for the blueprints he used. If i understand him right, he converted those blueprints into a 3d format, and started filling them out as shown in the links about, but then lost all the work apart from the original conversion. And the original conversion is what he’s used for his minecraft model.

The google earth enterprise is just, I think, a layering of those same blueprints. Halkun hasnt copied it, he’s just used the same source.
    Infact, it wouldnt surprise me atall if it was him who put that enterprise up on Google earth in the first place…

• Remmoth says:

Halkun is lying.

Here’s how I know:

1. The labels on the blueprint source he converted are in the -EXACT- location as what Halkun called “Scaffolding”. Why would he attempt to hide the fact they’re labels from his source if he wasn’t trying to cover up something?

2. He states he was up until 4:30 on the morning… working on it. No, If you converted the source into 3d using a program… that would take NO time at all.

3. Well maybe he spent loads of time converting the blueprint into 3D by hand? No, if he did it by hand there would be no extraneous details like… accidentally leaving the labels on it….

So whether or not he did spend a lot of time on it doesn’t really matter. Since he felt compelled enough to lie about something to drop peoples jaws, when he didn’t even have an original hand in the entire process.

• thenagus says:

I don’t buy that he’s lying about anything.

1) Just because he calls them `scaffolding` doesnt neccessarily imply that he used those things as functon scaffolding to build the thing. I mean, if he was trying to imply that, it would be, well, stupid – it looks nothing like useful scaffolding. I think he just doesnt use it in a litiral way.
      And, more ot the point, if he was trying to trick people into thinking that he didnt use a program to convert it from deck-by-deck blueprints, then why would he, er, post a forum thread telling us how he used a program to covert it from deck-by-deck blueprints…
      (Infact, I just checked, and on the youtube page itself it says very explicitly that he converted it from blueprints.)

2) If you bothered to read his post/youtube page, he said quite explicitly that he had to import each deck seperately. He had to position them all in exactly the right square, which I excpect had to be done manually. he also talks about how he had to rescale it all, to make it fit nicely in minecraft. Thats not a trival, fast thing to do.

More to the point, just because he sayd “Ive just finished putting the frame together, it’s 4:30 in the morning” doesnt imply he’s been up doing it all night. Besides which, It would surprise me if the whole process (downloading the minecraft editors, finding the scematics, converting, getting it to run nicely in minecraft, tweaking deck heights etc) took many hours.

3) He states quite excpeicitly how he’s done it in the forum post, on youtube, and hell, its even in the article on this very website.

It confounds me why people watch the video and immediatly have to post an outraged criticism, without even bothering to read the text that comes with it…

37. randomchiken says:

yea…what that guy said …..