DINOFIGHT! New Primal Carnage Footage

By John Walker on September 29th, 2010 at 11:16 pm.

It's jaw was covered in bloody logos.

Primal Carnage, the dinosaurs versus humans multiplayer project from independent developers Lukewarm Media, has released some awesome new footage. It’s accompanied by quite a change – the team has switched from Ungine to the Unreal Development Kit, and what was already looking spectacular now looks super-spectacular. Below, along with lots of new details and screenshots, is an epic dino-fight, in realtime in-game UDK footage. I checked.

Let’s start with the trailer, because it’s proper wow:

Lots of new classes have been announced, five for each side. Humans have the Palaeontologist, the Commando, the Trapper, the Firestarter, and the Pathfinder.

Meanwhile the lizards have the T-Re, the Raptor, the Dilophosaurus, Compsognathus, and Pteranodon.

Plus the team has announced the Nemesis system. This means each class has one enemy type they’re weak against, and one they’re strong against. A sort of giant wheel of rock, paper, scissors (as Kieron called our website for the first year). Here’s that wheel:

We understand that it’s already playable, and hope to see it running in the next couple of months. There’s no official release date yet. And let’s try to focus here. It’s DINOSAURS VERSUS HUMANS. If you want to donate to the project (they’re 21 people around the world, working unfunded) you can do that here.

And because I can’t let the raptor thing go by without being slightly passive-aggressive, here’s the Dan Telfer clip:

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Wipa says:

I think this game looks interesting. Hope they pull it off!

2. Miker says:

Looking at the old RPS posts, this game used to be a headliner for the Unigine engine, but now it’s UDK? Does anybody know what happened?

3. Armyofnone says:

That comedian clip was downright hilarious. Best thing about this post, and that’s saying quite a bit, given how awesome this game may be.

4. amishmonster says:

Could this be the dinosaur game I’ve always been looking for?

Maybe. Also, kudos for the Dan Telfer video!

5. suibhne says:

Hey, I’ve hung out with that guy at parties.

6. Fumarole says:

Please be good please be good please be good…

7. Oak says:

I guess I should feel embarrassed, but I’m really excited about this.

8. Ashton Andersen says:

Thank you everyone for the kind replies, please make sure to check out our forums where we would love to hear from you!

9. Dan says:

I’m crazy excited about this game, but that trailer isn’t the reason why. That trailer was the “Jurassic Park the Movie” to what I assume is going to be an epic game about chomping on people.

• Wulf says:

Likewise, if this had just been about humans with guns against dinosaurs, I would’ve had very, very mild interest in it as perhaps a Turok-ish game done right. But add in playable dinosaurs, where I can run around munching on heads… and they might just have a sale, because I bloody adore dinosaurs. As does anyone who was a kid of the 80’s, or so I’d hope.

I’m too timid to just leap into a game without any practise, so I’d need bots. If this game has bots? Guaranteed sale and preorder.

10. Berm says:

Great to see this game finally starting to show up on people’s radars.

One of my eagerly waited games for the PC.

11. Uhm says:

Sadly, multiplayer has never really appealed, but it does look stunning.
    If they ever make a STALKER-esque game with these dinos… I would be rather happy.

• amishmonster says:

That, sir, is a stupendous idea.

• Jambe says:

Actually, I would be totally down with them using their sexy on a sort of sim-like game. Be a towering predatory dino or a herbivore or maybe a lowly proto-mammal, and just explore the place.

*shrug* But then I am a sucker for dinos. Maybe others wouldn’t share my enthusiasm.

• Wulf says:

I’m 100% with you on this, Jambe. Dinosaur Simulation/Exploration Game sounds like a bloody glorious idea.

12. The Colonel says:

Maybe once the zombie thing has died down dinosaurs will become the new world war two…

13. Skusey says:

Wooooooo! I wish my Captcha was Dino.

14. BeamSplashX says:

I misread super-spectacular as SUPERTACULAR. It seems a fitting title for Primal Carnage’s genre.

15. _Jackalope_ says:

Zombie Dinos?

This looks seriously good. What impresses me is that I’d be quite happy to play as the humans despite how awesome is will be to be a vicious dino. I take it there will be a button you can press to emit an horrific T-Rex roar to make our soon-to-be-lunches fill it’s knickers?

16. The Colonel says:

Dinomite!

17. The Colonel says:

Crytek really missed a trick with the dinosaur thing. Mutants just don’t cut it.

Gap Gen says:

Hmm, so Commando will be interesting, because all the dino players will either be T-Rexes or Raptors. The top of the wheel will probably pretty sparsely populated, unless people particularly like flying, or science.

• Hidden_7 says:

Me! I like flying AND science!

From the picture, though it looks like the scientist is the sort of sniper class, which makes sense for it to be weak against the smaller, probably fast moving chompy dinosaurs, but good against the flying dino you can see from a long distance away.

• Wulf says:

I like flying and science too! So I’d definitely try and mix it up.

It’d be hard to resist the sheer magnificence of a Tyrannosaurus Rex though.

19. Tacroy says:

Oh man I looked at the Compsognathus and thought “it would be really cool if they actually let you control like ten of those dudes”.

Then I clicked the link, and you do. Awesome!

What would be extra cool would be if you could like RTS those little suckers around – tell individuals to set up a flanking maneuver or something. They’d have to be extra weak for that to be balanced unfortunately.

20. Shadram says:

I’m still waiting for someone to make my perfect game: a sandbox-like survival game set on a JP style island of dinosaurs, where weapons are rare and the dinos are many, although not all dinosaurs want to eat you. A nice long adventure, that has you looking for or building shelter, finding food, and eventually escaping. A fully modelled eco-system (or at least a smoke-and-mirrors version of one) would be great, too. So… who wants to make it?

This looks like another throwaway multiplayer game, fun for an hour or 2, then forgotten. Such a shame, since the dinosaur models and landscapes are stunning. Maybe someone will be able to mod in a decent singleplayer game.

• amishmonster says:

Can someone mod dinosaurs into Minecraft? That’d fit the bill pretty nicely, though swords and bows probably aren’t the best anti-T-rex weapons.

• Shadram says:

In my game, there’s only 2 T-Rexes on the island, and they can’t be killed. You have to run, screaming. Or put them to sleep with tranq darts for a short while. I guess it could work in Minecraft, you’d just have to dig yourself a hole to hide. Caves filled with Raptors could be fun, too.

Actually, can someone just remake the old SNES Jurassic Park game in a modern engine, and with the ability to save? I think that’d do me fine.

• amishmonster says:

That would also be a pretty good option. I think my Best Dino Game Ever will languish in limbo until someone digs out the DinoRiders license and makes a great RTS out of it.

P7uen says:

@Shadram

The hours I spent in that god damned game drawing maps and praying there wasn’t a powercut. And then again trying in an emulator with save states and I’ve still never finished the bastard.

“Dr. Grant!”

• Oak says:

The SNES version was similar to the Game Boy one, yeah? I played the living daylights out of that.

Man, that music was bitchin’.

What I’d love would be an Amnesia-like Jurassic Park game that had you trying to escape the island using only your speed, wits, and ability to lock doors at just the right moment.

• Shadram says:

@Oak: Funny you should say that. In my head, the invisible monsters in the water in Amnesia were raptors. Scared the crap out of me.

21. Ashton Andersen says:

We plan on developing a singleplayer mode / open island its in our plans if you go to our website and forums…. It’s just that we are making a multiplayer mode first to raise money to even be able to add a single player / open island(which may be episodic)

• Shadram says:

@ Ashton: Excellent news. Just make sure it’s more Lost World than Turok. Like Sam Neill said, dinosaurs are animals, not monsters.

22. Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

So, after enjoying some good word of mouth and donations from excited Linux users, they drop Linux support…. nice.
    Saying that UDK doesn’t support Linux and leaving it at that doesn’t excuse it. UDK apparently supports OpenGL to some degree, and if not, other games have been published on Mac through the use of Cider, which is based on Wine which is very much a Linux thing, so support is definitely possible, though it might require some hoop jumping.
    If this had been done without taking donations, or they had simply delayed the Linux release, then fair enough, but this is closer to scamming people.

P7uen says:

I think that’s being a little unfair.

That’s a shame if you or other people ‘lost’ money, but as with Minecraft it wasn’t a finished product and you were never guaranteed to get any game let alone a Linux version.

I’m a Linux user too, but from the comments above they obviously are not overflowing with cash, and don’t have the resources to dedicate to a Linux version after the engine change. They are more likely to succeed and survive on more popular platforms and that’s what we want.

23. Kevbo says:

Great to see some more exposure for this game. I think these devs will really turn this game into a masterpiece but it will take them awhile. So have some patience and enjoy the multiplayer while they work on other aspects. I would love to see them add a single player and even some co-op styled missions and of coarse mod support :)

24. noobnob says:

I want to ride that T-Rex as a Firestarter and W+M1 my way to victory.

25. LionsInnards says:

I’m waiting for the sequal, Carnal Primage, which is an Optimus Sex Simulator.

26. Adrian says:

i dont know if the step to unreal engine was the right decision. the scene in the trailer looks great because its dark but in daylight i the vegetation will look as bad as it has in all unreal 3 games!

27. poop says:

neck biter GOTY 2011

28. Malagate says:

I’m not really sold on this nemesis wheel thing, I mean what if a Scientist(Palaeontologist?) meets a Raptor? Or a Pathfinder stumbles across a T-Rex? Do they just whiff at each other until someone strong comes along? If that wheel had a few other inter-dependancies then I could get behind it more, as it is now I don’t see how stuff like the compies would be good against anything other than the scientist or how the T-Rex wouldn’t stomp over everything that’s not a commando.

Any other issues I have just relate to Palaeontology, like what kind of Raptor is that supposed to be? Where are the feathers? Will the Dilophosaurus be the right size? All of which, of course, have nothing to do with shooty-bang fun against killer monsters from the past. If a Paelaeontologist is crying, then you’ve probably got a fun game on your hands.

• Alexander Norris says:

Then they’re neither weak nor strong against the class and it boils down to what state you were in and how good you are at aiming? It works that way in TF2 and it doesn’t exactly involve whiffing until someone else comes along.

• Malagate says:

That’s the thing Alexander, it works in TF2 because whilst the Heavy is a big guy, he’s still a guy and could conceivably be killed by small arms as well as backstabs and headshots, unlike a 6 tonne scaly monster made of teeth and murder. Where a hunting rifle is going to take down a relatively flimsy pteranodon and be poor at thinning a herd of compies, what exactly is it going to do against a T-Rex or Dilophosaurus? How are they going to not have T-Rexes just murder everything that’s not a commando? I hope there’s a plausible game mechanic that’s covering this, albeit my willing suspension of disbelief will gladly cover running around with Dinosaurs.

• sneetch says:

A T-Rex biting a head off should kill anyone, whereas a hunting rifle headshot will hurt anyone, including a T-Rex.

You have an advantage over the one to your right and a weakness to the one on your left, not you completely dominate the one to the right and completely suck against the one on the left. You should check out the post on the forums (the “Nemesis system” linked in the article) which details the advantages and disadvantages, it looks like a good system there.

• Malagate says:

That sounds better than what I was thinking, of course I can’t actually access their website as I am at work, I’m very fortunate that RPS is not blocked. If I remember I will check it when I get home, although from what I would imagine judging from the pictures most advantages/disadvantages would stem from weapon types and dino sizes.

At a guess, something like: Commando Explosives-> big T-Rex target, Flamethrower cone-> tight packed compie herd, Hunting Rifle hitscan-> fast moving flying reptile, subtle trapper traps-> fast moving raptor, Pathfinder???Dilophosaurus (shotgun? eh).
      It’s harder to guess with some of the dinosaurs though, I could only guess wildly at what a Dilophosaurus has over a Trapper (long neck to reach over the traps and nom him?).

• iHavePants says:

Raptors and others have alternate skins with feathers. The Firestarter has a flamethrower with a chainsaw attached so he is an abvious counter to groups of compies (playing as a compie allows you to summon compie minions to do your bidding). The Pathfinder gets an AI controlled dog partner which alerts the players of nearby dinosaurs and can be ordered to attack and defend as well as being able to die itself. That’s why the class is weakened versus Pteranadon because it can swoop down and pick off his dog and the shotgun isn’t very useful for targets flying around the sky. The Pathfinder also however has flares which he can throw to stun dinosaurs and damage their vision, this attack most heavily affects the Dilophosaurus which depends on accuracy to do damage with its ranged attack.

The trapper has a Net gun which can trap dinosaurs, the Dilophosaurus can break out of nets almost immediately plus free other dinosaurs.

There is also plenty of other species of AI dinosaur life inhabiting the levels as you play through them, such as the Spinosaurus in the trailer.

Lots of stuff, it all seems quite well thought out :)

29. Alexander Norris says:

Oh. Oh man. Dinosaurs.

30. Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

I’m not so much crossed because they didn’t deliver the product they advertised, that has happened a few times with Linux already, so it’s nothing new.
    What I really don’t like here is that they never even came out and said that they dropped Linux support, let alone asked anyone for help in producing a Linux version (since they obviously don’t have the resources to do it themselves) and in fact (I asked them) they never even checked if it was possible – they just dropped it and left it for users to figure out themselves. Deciding to change engine and then not even checking if it supports a third of their target audience – whom they kept reassuring that they would support 100% – is not exactly a company I would trust.
    Also, last time I checked (last night), they have a donate button on their main page, not far from where they still claim Linux support – that’s at best an unorganised company, at worst downright scamming.

Jerricho says:

On the one hand, DINOSAURS! YAY! but on the other hand NERD RAGE! Pteranodon is NOT a dinosaur. That aside, I think this will be another donation job. I want to play with Dinosaurs… and also Giant Flying Reptiles.

32. Pinky G says:

This is going to be so much fun, really looking forward to it!

33. BarerRudeROC says:

This looks just like Natural Selection 2 with Dinosaurs.
    I’m iffy if when it comes to buying a game which is going to be exactly like another :-/

T-rex = Onos
    Raptor = Skulk
    Dilophosaurus = Gorge/Fade
    Pteranadon = Lerk
    Compsognatus = Crag

34. straightrazorguy says:

Unreal engine? Too bad, that will probably mean no Linux client so they won’t see any money from me…

Carra says:

Someone should make a Dinsoaurs vs Pirates vs Ninjas vs Aliens game.

36. Scaine says:

Dropping linux support without any kind of prior warning is poor.
    1 out of 10 for effort, definitely, and 9 out of 10 for misleading, agreed. Disappointing. But still playing Amnesia at the moment and got nice wee backlog from the humble indie bundle still to get through.

Linux gaming is a far cry from the Windows scene, but it’s actually a far more refreshing place to be. Games released on Linux seem to have a lot more love poured into them, even when they release cross-platform.

37. moimael says:

Very bad news. I made a quite generous donation hoping for a good linux game and they just drop linux support… I feel a little f***ed.

And i’m probably not alone in this case, linux users making great donation when a game is ported (see worl of goo).

38. Curiousity says:

Well… I’m rather curious. Firstly… You say you checked… How exactly? And what? I mean… Shots are really awesome by the way, but I’m curious…. since when does UDK have Tessellation? Because I work with unreal technology for the past 5 years… Must have missed that part.

39. grif says:

Meh. Linux user here too, very disappointing. Oh well, onward to other things.

40. Suckewarm says:

They decided to be just another generic UDK game. They need to refund all the donations from Linux users and be forgotten… there are much more interesting UDK games (and oh, UDK doesn’t give them any real performance, because you can only script the game there – no native code access… good luck).

41. ktuk says:

Yep, lots of Linux users here. Best to keep your bloated, bug ridden butt away from Google and Facebook as well.

42. eross says:

UDK? WTF.. I’m glad I withheld my donation, other Linux users who donated should demand their money back.

43. V says:

Don’t worry guys, I’m sure they are going to hell for what they’re doing.

44. Apopas says:

Another one company which gets free publicity from Linux people and then f**k them. I dunno, maybe it’s a new strategy but at least separates the professional companies from the amateurs.
    Good fail guys!

45. theodor says:

My first thought after reading this is: I want my money back!

Is there any official confirmation of this? Because if there is, I’m not going to have anything to do with this stuido ever again.

46. GuessWho says:

I personally preferred the UNIGINE look (AND LINUX SUPPORT). Looked more natural. Oh well. At least I did not make an early donation like other linux users!

47. Axess Denyd says:

“the shotgun isn’t very useful for targets flying around the sky”

Awww, it sounds like some game developer is unfamiliar with shotguns.

48. luis says:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa no se que dice porque no hablo ingles

49. dinorceeho says:

When you spend your days talking about all manor of games, kinh mat it’s easy to forget certain less-prominent titles exist, even when they’re as promising as something like Primal Carnage. We first mentioned it earlier this year, and that was pretty much it.Thankfully, the boys at Rock, Paper, Shotgun have reminded me about the grand human vs. dinosaur conflict. This somewhat kinh mat recent trend of humans fighting non-humans in multiplayer is one I fully support. Especially when it’s dinosaurs we’re talking about.