Guybrush Sweeps: The Force Unleashed 2

By Kieron Gillen on September 29th, 2010 at 12:35 pm.

Despite the fact the game’s coming to the PC, and despite the fact it’s out at the end of the month, despite the fact we’ll post any old nonsense… we haven’t actually done anything on the forthcoming The Force Unleashed 2. Clearly, this has cut deep into the heart of the Lucasbeast, who respond by doing the one thing which will guarantee us doing a post. Yes, it’s inserting Guybrush Threepwood into the game. How appropriate, etc, etc. The B brought it to my attention, though ausgamers provide more details and more screenshots. Oh – and there’s some trailers for the game below.

Here’s the E3 cinematic!

Here’s some actual game footage!

And here’s the end of the story.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. mlaskus says:

Ah finally! Now Guybrush can distract people and chop them up to pieces when they are not looking, avoiding those confusing puzzles. They really need to include a “Lookout there is a three headed monkey behind you!” button.

2. Brumisator says:

Your powers are weak, young man
    you fight like a cow
    * Darth Something uses force choke on Guybrush
    AAARGH! *death*

• Brumisator says:

…that was supposed to be a discussion with < tags around names, like a moron I forgot to take into account the RPS comments would think it is HTML.
      anyways, Darth something talks to Guybrush, and now my joke is down the toilet because I had to explain it.

• Lilliput King says:

He can hold his breath for 10 minutes anyway.

• Rich says:

How about:
      “You fight like a Sand Person”
      “How appropriate, you fight like a bantha!”

3. Xercies says:

If there is no insult lightsaber battles it doesn’t deserve my time…

4. Lambchops says:

Lookout a three headed ewok.

5. AndrewC says:

When my 360 died, i went and bought a replacement arcade unit and it came with a free copy of Force Unleashed, which i then took down the road and sold to Computer Exchange without even taking off the wrapper, thus taking nearly £30 off the price of my new 360!

This is a thing that involved The Force Unleashed that made me very happy.

• jeremypeel says:

Arf. Oh AndrewC, I approve of your headstrong disregard for mediocre lightsabre games.

6. Deacon Blues says:

To be honest he looks kind of terrible. And it’s probably just going to be a skin, so no alternate gameplay mechanics/voice/plot.

I did find the Ausgamer writer’s furious backpedaling in the comments section to be amusing. “Of course I remembered that there have already been two 3D Monkey Island games! They just didn’t fit my esoteric definition of proper!” And then accusing his readers of being trolls for calling him out on his mistake. Classy.

7. K says:

Yay, Dragonball Z with lightsabers!

There was a time when lifting an X-Wing was awesome. Backhand dualwielding lightsabers is overdoing it. Soon, he will have dual sabers in each hand, only fight with his back to his enemies and have guns for shoes. No wait, that last one was done already.

8. tomeoftom says:

I am very, very surprised we’ve seen nothing more of DMM (“Digital Molecular Matter”) and the Euphoria animation engine besides the latter showing up in GTAIV.

• nerdook says:

@tomeoftom: i believe there was an american football game as well… wasn’t very popular though.

9. Rich says:

“I wanna be a Jedi!”

10. Loki says:

-You fight like a nerf herder.
    - How appropriate you fight like a nerf.

11. sink257 says:

Hmm, The Force Unleashed 1 was a whopping 27GB in size after installation…

Wonder how huge this will be.

12. Pemptus says:

The first one was a clunky mess. But hey, TWO gangsta-style wielded lightsabers, can’t go wrong this time!

13. WarFalci says:

The way his head was modeled makes me think that The Curse of Monkey Island is currently being remade and it’s gonna be a 3D game.

Specially since this art style isn’t used in the series since the 4º game.

14. stahlwerk says:

Well, what do you do if you want to introduce an antagonist to a seemingly all-powerful protagonist, and you don’t want to get too creative?

Oh, right: clones.

15. Absurd says:

this looks like the most absurd, stupid stuff ever! I mean, he looks like a gay model, he uses lightsabers shoryuken, he disintegrates enemy with his key powers (something that came straight outta dragon ball z), storm troopers run into him to get killed- this is one of the stupidest over the top shit ever.

I would really like to see the game pushing the absurdity to new limits. I want to see the apprentice fighting a jedi death start and destroying it by force pushing a star into it. I want to see the apprentice resurrecting from the death, killing darth vader, then travelling back in time to kotor 1 and 2 to kill all the bosses with a force kamehameha

16. LionsPhil says:

I believe the word here is “desperation”. LucasArts are screaming “love us, here are the things we made which were good over ten years ago (never mind that we drove away the people responsible for creating them)”.

Also I assume the first trailer is for a film, since it contains no gameplay or events which translate to likely gameplay outside of “press X to play the next clip we stole from our favourite animes; press Y to spout a tired cliche from your mildly-grizzled male brown-haired protagonist” whatsoever. Certainly it bears no relation to the lacklustre corridor shooter of the second video.

17. Jimbo says:

Even Guybrush knew which way round to hold a sword.

18. Tei says:

Impresive video, good action. It will not be part of the story of videos, but is a good one.

Too bad Force Unleahsed was not loved, not even on the consoles. Is not a fun formula, methinks.

19. Scandalon says:

Wait, wait…Darth Vader secretly trains an uber-dark jedi with powers that far exceed Vader’s himeself, uses him for whatever nefarious plans, then leaves him in a room of regular mook stormtroopers? (Complete with Wilhelm scream…)

I don’t recall him being quite that dense…

Movie trailer actually looked rather “cool”, dude get’s points for style, though perhaps not for combat tactics. (Unless he just has to build up his rage meter or something by killing a bunch of hapless troopers before he can use his really strong moves.)

I’m not sure what the 2nd video was of though…maybe a prototype from another project? It obviously wasn’t related to the movie we just saw…

• Urthman says:

Just imagine Anakin’s dull-witted face under that helmet, and it makes perfect sense.

20. deadpan says:

It’s great how they used the model from Escape From Monkey Island. You know, the one everybody hated and fans of the series pretend never existed.

21. ExplosiveCoot says:

I enjoyed the first game quite a lot, and I am looking forward to this one.

It’s also great that Lucasarts is bringing this game out to for PC at the same time as the consoles – if only every developer would handle PC releases this way (I’m looking at you Ubisoft… Why do PC users have to wait till next year for the next Assassin’s Creed game again?)

22. Absurd says:

how vain do you have to be, to invent a generic, unstoppable character with a faggy face and insert him into an existing well recognized story, and make him billion of times stronger than the most powerful and recognized character from the series?

He doesn’t even have an interesting story or origin like the dudes from kotor (except for generic villain darth malak, but even his power level was generic)