Left Three Dead: The Sacrifice Continues

By Alec Meer on September 29th, 2010 at 8:44 pm.

Quick one: the third and penultimate part of the rather impressive Left 4 Dead gap-filling online comic The Sacrifice has arrived. It’s rather gory, gore fans. Also peanut-buttery, peanut butter fans. Francis takes the spotlight this time around, though I maintain that his hair’s drawn a bit too long.

Valve also explain that these words and pictures are “the official version of events”, compared to the choose-your-own-fatal-adventure morbid giggling of the upcoming Sacrifice DLC. So there you go, crazy Wikipedia people.

, .

1. UW says:

Kind of on-topic.. since it’s Valve. Those dancing TF2 animations mentioned some time back are completed now:

It’s pretty sweet.

• Tei says:

You got ninja-ed by the blog owners :-/

• UW says:

Ahah, so I did. Serves me right for not scrolling down. =P

Loving these L4D comics, Zoe’s one was the best I think. I feel dumb that words like “gratuitous” pop into my head considering we’re talking about Left 4 Dead here, but this latest one is a little over the top.

2. stahlwerk says:

page 87 and 88 are mixed up, aren’t they?

• Goomich says:

No, they’re all right.

• JB says:

On the site, page 87 was just a copy of page 88 for me. In the pdf it’s all good though.

Enjoying these comics immensly overall.

3. BarerRudeROC says:

THAAAAAANKS!
    *Lights molotov*

4. jonfitt says:

Francis’ background story seemed a bit disjointed and out of character to me. For starters why was he not in police custody if he was going to gaol? It also had him as an anarchist psychopath which I didn’t get from his behaviour in L4D.

The ‘present day’ stuff was good though.

• UW says:

I could have been on bail pending a trial. The evidence wasn’t really in his favour so he could have been pretty certain he was going to prison even if he hadn’t been sentenced.

I agree that he seems a bit more insane than in the games. I had him pegged as a bit of a grumpy biker trying to extend his youth.. or something. This version of him seems like a bit of a caricature.

• Torgen says:

Francis’s “origin” seems totally opposite of how he acts and feels in the game, at least to me. The description of bitter(?) over-the-hill biker is exactly how he came across to me.

5. Kid A says:

I don’t like the art style (characters are off-model in just about every frame) and Francis has been bastardised a bit in this one, as jonfitt said, but the story is interesting enough to keep me hooked. I sort of hope there is a print run of this once it’s finished.

• Neosubu says:

Seems that i wrote the same thing while you were writing your comment.

6. Land says:

Loving it. Can’t wait for Part 4 and can’t wait for the DLC. But I have to wait. But I can’t.

7. Neosubu says:

I’m loving the comics for the storyline because the artist seems to draw characters different on every page.. They really look different in certain frames.
    None the less, I’m loving them.

8. bleeters says:

Poor Francis. If only the zombie apocalypse had happened a few minutes later, eh?

• Starky says:

You know chances are he was already a carrier and his kiss caused her to turn.

9. Goomich says:

Check the exclamation mark in blog.

10. Alex Bakke says:

Ah yes, it wouldn’t be a proper zombie comic without a crazy shotgun-wielding hippie bartender.

11. GHudston says:

I love this. L4D2 is a much better game than L4D, but the atmosphere is gone and the characters just aren’t the same. I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed these guys.

I think that valve are insane for killing one off.

12. Barnaby says:

I always found Zoey and Louis to be super annoying…

I like the new characters more, Coach and Ellis rock.

*dons flame retardant suit*

• Starky says:

I preferred Zoey over Rochelle, but not by much – and if Roch was let down by some poor dialogue and poorer voice acting.
      Coach was horrid, as a Brit he seemed to fit almost every southern blackman stereotype I know. I half expected him to start talking about soul food and his mama’s cookin.
      Louis was a much better character, probably the best from L4D.
      Ellis was great.
      Nick and Francis were basically the same character with different accents, both were fine though and both had the best lines.

My ideal L4D 3 would be
      Louis, Zoey (with better lines), Ellis and Nick/Francais (or both)

• The Colonel says:

Don’t you mean Left6Dead?

• Gritz says:

Coach is a southern stereotype but Ellis isn’t?

• Devenger says:

I like both groups, but of the sequel survivors, Rochelle is noticeably the most uninteresting (and thus easy to dislike) of the four – I don’t know where they left her characterisation, but it’s nowhere to be found in the game. A shame, because I thought the news reporter/producer thing could have worked really well (see http://www.l4d.com/survivors/rochelle/ )… it just never really comes up. Strange.

13. SpinalJack says:

is it me or do pages 87 and 88 look very similar?

14. DarkNoghri says:

Is it weird that the first thing I think on reading the last panel of page 106 us that the Lieutenant is actually the CEO of Paradox?

15. Navagon says:

Well reading this convinced me I was in dire need of playing the first game again. Only to find out that the sound has gone all wonky and inconsistent. Reinstalling. Buggerit, that better fix the problem.

16. The Magic says:

This just made me smile from ear to ear. I love the art, the characters (even the francis backstory. Never saw him as this much of a bloodthirsty character, but the rest is kinda consistent to how i saw him.) and just some awesome moments… oh and the gore.

I mean, Louis is my favourite character, but Francis and Bill got the best lines in this part

also… Bill.. what the hell man… why didn’t you slow down?

• Tei says:

“also… Bill.. what the hell man… why didn’t you slow down?”

We have seen Bill backstory?
      Is easy to bet that he has experience on losing everyone to save just one.

• Goomich says:

No, one backstory in every part.

17. Bret says:

Here’s hoping Jeff made it somehow. Not much chance for anyone else outside our four.

I mean, geeze. Brutal.

18. The Sombrero Kid says:

you guys are getting sloppy it says right there on the link you linked! part 4 oct 5!

keep up the good works though ;)

• The Sombrero Kid says:

EDIT: i’m an idiot i read penultimate as final, which it’s obv. not :S

19. Sinomatic says:

As someone who has never been into comics, I can honestly say I’m enjoying these l4d episodes immensely. Even if I can’t quite get away with the art style itself sometimes (variable facial hair from page to page….maybe its Francis’ beard that’s starting to turn…)

Certainly interested in seeing where they go with Bill’s story next week.

• Saiko Kila says:

I hope they’ll make him frag his superior officer in Vietnam or something.

20. Matt says:

That panel, out of context, makes it seem as though Francis’ elbow has explosive power.

Francis’ elbow is totally OP. Especially in versus.