Guillermo del Toro Confirms THQ Game

By Jim Rossignol on September 30th, 2010 at 8:42 am.

You know, when Spielberg got into games it was an “okay, yeah” sort of moment, but del Toro is a more interesting proposition. Speaking with MTV, director Guillermo del Toro – who is currently working on a movie adaptation of Lovecraft’s novella At the Mountains of Madness – confirmed he is a making a horror game with THQ. “It’s horror…but it’s a very different type of horror game. It’s not survival horror. It’s truly a strange, geeky mix. It’s a Lovecraftian thing. Let’s leave it at that.”

Interesting! No idea if it’ll be on the computer box, but since it’s THQ it seems like a fair bet.

, .

1. pupsikaso says:

So, no movie directors are making games. This means we’ll never see the end of “cinematic” games? We are doomed (again)!

2. Mungrul says:

Oh wow, I had no idea he was working on a movie of At the Mountains of Madness. I think that’s probably my favourite Lovecraft story, alongside The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Oh, he’s working on a game too?
    Hmmm, I love the man’s cinematic vision, but I’ve yet to be convinced by any director’s foray into gaming.

JB says:

I just finished reading The Case of Charles Dexter Ward yesterday. Good stuff. It was my first Lovecraft and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Trying to lay my hands on more now.

• Mungrul says:

JB, you can pick a lot of his stuff up for free at Manybooks ( http://manybooks.net/authors/lovecrafth.html ).
      Some of them have formatting problems, but nothing you can’t read around.
      Ideal if like me you have an e-ink device (just retired my Sony PRS-505 for a Kindle 3G).

• well says:

i’m a fan of The Colour Out of Space, i guess it’s unlikely to ever be made into a film though

• bob_d says:

Yeah his previous game didn’t exactly set the world on fire.

@ well: “Die, Monster, Die!” from 1965. They took a few liberties, but it is “Colour out of Space.”

• DethDonald says:

Rumor has it that Tom Cruise is the lead actor in At the Mountains of Madness. You disappointed?

• Raum says:

Mungrul:

A thousand times thanks for the link! Awesome!

What format has the least formatting problems you think (or are all of them the same, formatting-wise)?

• Starky says:

DethDonald, not at all because Tom Cruise is a pretty damn awesome actor when he’s actually playing a messed up character, bad guy, or basically anything but his cool-guy action hero persona.

• Huggster says:

Also try literary gothic and project gutneberg.
      All these sites are so perfect for my lovely Kindle 3. Even if it is slightly creaky at the bottom of the case.

3. Oozo says:

This is pretty good news. When asked about games, so far Del Toro’s answers tended to be pretty comprehensive. (Well, he said that “Ico” and “Shadow of The Colossus” are the only games worthy to be considered art – not exactly an original point, but one that makes you think he did play quite a few games, actually…)

What’s getting me excited, though, is that Del Toro, even as a movie director, was much more of world-builder than a masterful storyteller. Look at a movie like “Hellboy 2″: It’s not so much what’s going on, but all the details in the environment where it’s going on. Same with “Pan’s Labyrinth” – it is a highly original movie, but the plot is not all that invetive. The creations and creatures are.
    And he certainly is aware of that – heck, games might even play more to his talents than games are!

In other words: It’s Del Toro’s scetchbook that makes me really think he could lend his talents to a great game. And, somehow, I think that when he says “Lovecraftian thing”, he’s thinking “Amnesia” rather than, say, “Dead Space”. Maybe the future will prove me wrong, but “cinematic” might be much more than just “cut-scenes” in Del Toro’s mind.

He knows one thing or two about games, and he knows a lot about creating an intriguing world. That could be the fundament of a of a very interesting game, IMHO.

• Oozo says:

Playing more to his strenghts than movies, that is.

• RadioactiveMan says:

@ Oozo:

The art and visuals are awesome, but don’t sell Guillermo del Toro short on his plot lines either. Check out The Devil’s Backbone. Its an older and less well known movie by del Toro about an orphanage with a bomb in the courtyard, and a ghost in the basement. The main characters are children, which makes the ghost stuff extra spooky. The plot and themes are great, but talking more about them will spoil the end of the movie. Suffice to say there is a great reveal moment near the end that makes you say “woah” and then go back and look at the movie from a new perspective

Anyway, definitely worth checking out for those who were fans of Pan’s Labyrinth or his other movies.

• bob_d says:

You know, he already has one (published) game (“Hellboy: The Science of Evil”). You all can be forgiven for not knowing that, as it was more than a bit disappointing, especially for del Toro. He had a grand vision for the game, but Konami gave the team an existing engine and not a lot of resources, so his vision couldn’t be fulfilled. Of course, that’s the story for most game developers, and a professional knows how to get the most out of what they’ve been given, which is one of the things that gives me pause when film people dabble in games. Hopefully he’ll be working with good developers.

• Dave L. says:

I think Del Toro’s gaming bona fides are pretty strong, as far as games played. In that MTV interview he talks about how addicted to Left 4 Dead he is and how it’s considered a ‘family game’ in his house, and in the Pan’s Labyrinth commentary he talks a bit about how video games have been a big influence in teaching him how important sound design is for immersion.

4. Grape Flavor says:

Interesting. I’m not really a fan of the horror genre, but it looks like this game might elevate it from the tired “oh look someone turned off almost all the lights and grotesque monsters are running at you!” shtick that it currently seems to be primarily comprised of.

• Lilliput King says:

I dunno, Amensia was fairly Lovecraft(y-ian-ish-inian).

It was also great, so um, whatever.

5. Tetragrammaton says:

This is fantastic news, Im personally deeply worried over james camerons involvement in ATMOM (Two fingers to you, pedants) But new lovecraft games are always welcome, especially from the mind that brought us Pans labyrinth and the menagerie of weirdness in HB2 (Although the movie itself was pap)

6. Aerozol says:

Slightly non-related, but that image is on the soundtrack to PL by Javier Navarrette, which is outrageously good melancholy homework music.
    Just to share < 3

AndrewC says:

Why would you want to increase the feeling of melancholy? Isn’t doing homework enough?

• Kast says:

On the other hand, it is fantastically atmospheric for having on somewhat quietly while reading Lovecraft or House of Leaves with, say, the album Haunted by Poe (not that Poe, a modern woman) and the OST to The Path by Jarboe.

• Aerozol says:

Andrew, you get better marks if your tutor can taste the tears on your pages.

7. Tetragrammaton says:

Also, If this is true I will cry tears of marmite.

8. Tei says:

How much weight a name?, a name can’t write code, or produce models, textures, music or icons.

This can be powerfull as a marketing move, some people will buy whatever is released based solelly on the name, but other than that, this due is a newbie, with zero experience.

• Oozo says:

But he’ll be a terrific art director… As I said, they only have to shake his scetchbook, and more good ideas will fall out of it than most mainstream games come up with usually…

(Don’t think his influence will go much further than just pitching ideas for a scenario, characteres etc., and maybe some vague ideas about gameplay – it’ll be up to the experienced developers to translate that and make it into a proper game. Plus, in that departement, maybe it even can do good to have an outsider’s view, can’t it?)

And yes, marketing-wise, it can’t hurt either…

• The Codicier says:

While a name alone can’t do any of those things Tei, if the person its attached to can bring enthusiasm, intelligence, leadership and vision to a collaborative team as Del Toro has shown he can when making films it doesn’t matter if he’s not producing individual assets himself.

My personal bet for the game itself is something set within the expanded Hellboy universe which perfectly fits the strange geeky lovecraftian description.

• tomwaitsfornoman says:

@Oozo: I remember the same enthusiasm when Clive Barker was working on Jericho. Just sayin’.

Oozo says:

@tomwaitsfornoman
      Doing a bit of research and reading about the approximately 10’000’000 other projects Mr del Toro has scheduled for the next 10 months, my initial enthusiasm was a bit cooled down, tool. I mean, more power to his ideas about transmedia story-universes being the future, but does he really have to do all the different elements by himself? (I hear his novel was at least decent, but far from THE future, actually).

On the other hand – the Day Kieron Gillen Left is already sad enough a day, so I decided to allow myself a littledillusive, naive, happy nevertheless.

9. mpk says:

I dont know aboit you, but i’m hard

10. Malagate says:

Replace THQ with Frictional and then I’ll get interested. Obviously they would need to give Frictional a tonne of money, which I am definately not against.

11. The Sombrero Kid says:

my bet is he’s working with frictional games, they’re twittering about the next project like they’re excited and it fits.

12. coldwave says:

There better be shoggots.

Call of Cthulhu game was actually cool too.

13. Moni says:

Hopefully it’s more like “Peter Jackson’s King Kong the Official Game of the Movie: King Kong: The Movie: The Official Remake of the Movie: King Kong: The Game” than ” James Cameron’s Avatar the Official Game of the Movie: Avatar: The Movie: The Game of the Movie: The Game”.

Guillermo Del Toro’s At the Mountains of Madness: The Official Game of the Book…. gah, that’s enough of that.

14. KenTWOu says:

Actually The Dig was made by Sean Clark in collaboration with Steven Spielberg and it was the great moment.

15. TSA says:

Mungrul, seconded.

Charles Dexter Ward, especially the historical report of the raid on the old wizard’s dungeon. All the creepier for not showing the monster, like a good horror movie. Mountains of Madness is aces, I’d add A Whisperer in Darkness and The Colour out of Space as favourites.

Below is a link to a drama company that does a lot of radio dramtisation. I can vouch for the Color out of Space one, it’s decent:

16. TSA says:

Hmm – why does my comment show up at the very end in stead of as threaded? I pressed the little button on the post I wanted to reply to…

17. Massive Man, Solid Gold Suit says:

Yes, very excited by this. The man is my favorite working filmmaker, and when he says “Lovecraftian,” I’m sure he doesn’t mean Amnesia or Dead Space, but something actually Lovecraftian in a way we haven’t seen before. Del Toro knows Lovecraft, and I’m hoping At the Mountains of Madness will show that he knows how to adapt Lovecraft. And if he can do it to film, he should be able to do it to game: the man also knows games, and has even said he learned film sound design from games moreso than from movies.

18. JackShandy says:

OoooOoOOoh. So he’s suggesting that the game will be based less around the Monster-jumps-out ABLOOGIEWOOGIEWOO kind of horror, and more a subtle sense that the world’s gone wrong? Fantastic.

19. asdf says:

Anytime people forget that Spielberg’s devco made UNDYING and should therefore be guaranteed a place in the pantheon of all-timers, I sad a little.