Race For The Prize: RPS Indie Award-Giving

By Alec Meer on September 30th, 2010 at 1:59 pm.

Earl's Court! As not inhabited by any earls!

It’s an important week for the Rock, the Paper and the Shotgun. Not only are we partially lopping off one of the Hivemind’s core nodes (/sadface), but we’re also presenting our first-ever award.

Specifically, for the best title at the Eurogamer Expo’s Indie Game Arcade this weekend. Members of RPS will be performing mystic incantations and inappropriate mental snuggling in order to ascertain which of 12 splendid indie games (shortlisted here) will be presented with a surprisingly large and easily-weaponised trophy.

We’ve now decided exactly how, where and when we’re going to do that, and it’d be just super if you were there.

This Sunday, 12pm, down on the showfloor in the indie arcade section, basically. Amidst the people that play and the people who make the games for the people that play, surrounded by their splendid games. Keeping it on the streets, or something.

If you’re attending the Eurogamer Expo in Earl’s Court, That London Town on Sunday, please turn up, applaud politely and argue about whether Quintin or I have the bigger hair.

Tickets are all well and truly sold out, alas – though there is a slim chance a very small number of tickets will be available on the door, if you’re local. Don’t quote me on that.

The exact time and place is subject to change, as things at huge events do have a tendency to go their own way – so keep an eye on our Twitter account, cos we’ll shove any changes/updates up there as and when.

All being well though, the plan remains this: This Sunday, 12pm, down on the showfloor in the indie arcade section.

, , .

1. Kast says:

Yup, will be there. Was actually feeling pretty meh about it and regretting buying the ticket and train ticket but, hell, RPS is worth turning up for if nothing else.

2. JackShandy says:

Maaaaaaaan. Living in europe would sure be great right now.

• Alexander Norris says:

It would be great for approximately the duration of the expo, after which the horrible weight of Cameron’s dystopic corporatist nightmare would bear down upon you and crush your soul.

• Jakkar says:

Also gravitation anomalies. You don’t want bow-legs and a hunch. Stay away. My sausages. Erf.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I’m sorry, mr. Norris, but if they don’t serve mayonnaise with your chips, it’s not really Europe anyway.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Dances: Quite. Instead they have things like ‘brown sauce’ if I recall correctly. Brown sauce? Very helpful if you’re blind, I guess, but it seems a rather odd name. Surely there are other brown sauces in existence? Or soggy fries they call ‘chips’ served in paper bags (of all things) with fish. I mean.. really.

Oh well, at least they have high teas. Those can be rather splendid.

3. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Go Frozen Synapse!
    And that Nidhogg video is class, for any that didnt see it before.

4. Buckermann says:

Presenting awards? Man, Kieron isn’t even buried yet, and you start giving away awards. He would rotate in his grave if he knew about this!

Now excuse me, I have to check for the cheapest flight to some unnamed city this weekend.

5. Danny says:

I shall be there! Yes.

Looking with my eyes.

Harbour Master says:

I’ll be there. Uh, what do I have to do? Do I get paid?

7. SpinalJack says:

woop. will be there among the great unwashed

Lambchops says:

Frozen Synapse for the win. Granted i’ve only played 3 of the games – but FS really is bloody good.

By the way has anyone played Tiny and Big since the initial beta? Has it changed much? I remember thinking it was a promising concept that didn’t quite deliver and was just a little finicky. Had the potential to be a really cute and awesome game though if improvements have been made.

9. Tom OBedlam says:

Rooting for FS too

Looking forward to a reet nerdy weekend :)

10. Tom OBedlam says: