Reality Bites: F.E.A.R. 3 Almaverse Trailer

By Quintin Smith on October 1st, 2010 at 12:36 am.

This is a lot like how I play SWAT 4.

I like posting F.E.A.R. trailers on RPS, and I like it because it allows me to make fun of the game without the risk of having to play it or otherwise take it seriously. Bonus!

The latest video covers one of F.E.A.R. 3′s more exciting features, that of literally being able to go inside a mad woman’s mind. Alma, the series’ signature crazy psychic, is pregnant, and in her weakened state is losing control of the chilling world that exists in her head (the “Almaverse”). You couldn’t make it up! Except the developers actually did make it up. Not sure how to feel about that.

My favourite bit is 1:01, where it is revealed that the Almaverse features men who spend hours hiding in baths, just waiting to jump out and surprise people. My other favourite bit is 1:00, where a creature jumps through a window at the player while on fire, but only because it’s followed by the shot at 1:08, where a creature which is on fire jumps at the player through a window.

Notations:

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Wipa says:

Terrible.

2. Flameberge says:

Can anyone remember the first FEAR fondly? Or has everything that has happened since rendered the first (very good) game tainted?

• Nick says:

I still like it.. it has a nice physical feeling kung-fu slow motion plaster flying from bullet holes in walls sort of fondness in my mind.

• sassy says:

I was so utterly disappointed by the first. It was billed as a horror game but it didn’t understand the fundamentals of horror, the narrative was incredibly formulaic and uninteresting, the level design was bland and predictable … it was a very competent shooter but failed to capitalize on that in any real way.

• Unaco says:

I still remember it fondly… but then, I only played through Extraction Point quickly, and none of the games since.

• Huggster says:

The first one did have a unique if slightly forced atmosphere or darkness.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

Still a big fan of the first one. Rubbish as a horror game but superb as a shooter simply because it did stuff other games didn’t. Still remember the first time I thought I’d do that FPS thing of hiding in a vent and just picking the enemy off from there only to find the enemy was quite capable of crouching and getting into the vent behind me, as well as climbi g ladders and sneaking up on me while I’m trying to shoot their more heavily armoured buddies.

Good shooter, risible horror game.

• Wilson says:

I can still remember the first FEAR fondly, because I haven’t bothered with any of the following ones. As l1ddl3monkey says – good shooter, not such a great horror game.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I fondly remember looking down and being able to see my legs.

I fondly remember being able to use those legs to kick people’s face in.

I fondly remember my facekicking victims actually acting pretty intelligently to prevent the faces from getting kicked in.

Never cared for the sequels, though.

• FunkyBadger says:

I really enjoyed the first – slow-mo nailgunning a mook through a plate glass window (which was on fire) into a wall was kinda moreish. And it did the horror pretty well, the backstory reveal over the last level was really, well, horrific.

Good stuff all round.

Haven’t touched the sequels though…

• ix says:

What I really loved about the first was the sound design. They really went all out on music and sfx, sometimes so overlooked in other shooters (FEAR 2 I’m looking at you).

3. mr distended rectum says:

scary games.. scare me..

I FOR ONE.. WONT PLAY THEM! (although i really like them)

• RQH says:

Don’t worry Mr. Rectum, F.E.A.R. is not really scary. Startling, at best. Also, it sounds like the follow-ups are also /terrible/ so you won’t be missing anything.

• Tetragrammaton says:

Fear 1 is simply not a horror game. The ‘horror’ in it is equivalent to someone popping a paper bag behind you every now and again. The actual shooting side is good fun though. (Although the sequel was miserable)

4. Film11 says:

Ye Gods that looks mediocre.

5. Shadram says:

This is obviously far better than any other game in the FEAR series, since the creatures that jumped through windows to scare you in previous entries were not, as I recall, on fire.

The only part of FEAR that I remember being “good” was the bit with the invisible ninjas in the first one. They were fun. And the demo was scarier than anything in the actual game, being constructed out of all the best scary moments chained together in a relentless stream of scares.

Don’t think I’ll be playing this one.

PS: My Captcha thingy is “beer”. I see this as a prediction of where my afternoon is going.

6. LionsPhil says:

And when you think they used to make No One Lives Forever.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

• sassy says:

Ummm wasn’t F.E.A.R 3 passed on to a new developer? Still the other 2 couldn’t compare to no one lives forever.

• LionsPhil says:

Oh. You can see how well generic military grunts, BOO-A-GHOST horror, and slowmo shooting gain my attention compared to cleverly-written genuinely-funny pop-’60s-styled immersive sims, then.

Sigh.

• DrGonzo says:

I’ve always found No One Lives Forever to be overrated to be honest. I can only make it about half way through each before I stop. I find the humour in it completely unfunny, and the games incredibly difficult. I had to do that thing where you follow the left hand wall to find where to go next on most of the levels.

I did really like the first Condemned though, that was scary. But, the second was pretty appalling.

• Dhatz says:

Whe even played Nolf? I barely know anyone who played FEAR but not any Nolf player.

• sassy says:

NOLF was a well loved game that lots of people played. You may just be a little young (don’t know age) or know the wrong people.

It is a shame that NOLF 1 is a bitch to play, my copy is meant to completely not function on win XP/vista/7 but I managed to get it to work … took about 4 hours and had to do much of the installation manually but I got it.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

What I think happened was that Monolith was making all these fun, colourful, cool shooters, like NOLF or TRON 2.0 but not making any money from them, while watching stuff like Doom, Quake and Unreal selling by the bucketload. So they decided to get their own grim shooter and milk it for all it’s worth. And that’s FEAR.

Let’s hope they’ve made enough now to afford another actually fun and cool game. They’ve been awfully quiet lately…

7. destroy.all.monsters says:

They shoulda hired Kieron to write this before he want all Marvel exclusivey.

8. Matt says:

Wait. Who would have sex with Alma?

9. AdamC says:

I liked F.E.A.R. 1 and 2, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate, not so much. I look at them as interesting run and gun shooters with some seriously decent AI to fight.

• Jason Moyer says:

I agree, FEAR 1 and 2 were good fun, the farmed out expansions to the first not so good, although that was also the case with Aliens Vs Predator 2 and Primal Hunt (the expansion was horrible).

10. sassy says:

I was bored so I looked up the price of F.E.A.R 2 on steam:

Australia: USD$44.99
    America: USD$19.99

GODDAMN STEAM AGAIN!!! Why do all the bigger releases get bumped up in price for Australia? This isn’t like Europe with dodgy price conversion, Australia has to pay in U.S dollar and yet they bump our price up and don’t bring it back down.

Borderlands is still USD$80 here!

• Shadram says:

@sassy

It’s at least as bad over here in Kiwi land. I’ve only lived in NZ for a year, having migrated over from the UK, and it still grates seeing new PC releases for NZ$120 (about 55 GBP), and “budget” games for $60-70 (25-30 quid). I’ve started using money in my UK account to order things from UK online shops like play, and getting my parents to ship them over here to me.

For any interested foreigners, our “cheap” website (play.com equivalent) is mightyape.co.nz – arm yourselves with a currency converter and laugh at our misfortune.

It’s shocking how ripped off antipodean gamers are.

• elyscape says:

I CAN HELP HERE! Let me know what you want on Steam and I can gift it to you. To pay me back, we can either have you buy me stuff on Amazon.com of equal value ORRRR I can try to figure out how to add money to my Steam wallet that is paid for by someone else (i.e. you). There’s gotta be a way to do it.

• castle says:

Can’t yall buy overseas copies on ebay? It’s a little slow, but even in the US it’s usually the cheapest option for newer games.

• Dhatz says:

because it should be illegal to change prices or services according to country if you retard retailers are completely online. thats why I ll never think of buying a thing before we get rid of this model.
      IOW: It exists to support piracy.

• sassy says:

Thanks for the offer Elyscape but I am not really after anything at the moment. Civ 5 would be nice ($80 USD >_< ), probably will wait until after an expansion pack or two before getting that though.

@castle: postage is a killer from the US, if getting an older game then the postage is usually more than the game itself. I do it occasionally (About to buy Atelier Rorona from the U.S) but most times postage makes it just not worth it.

• elyscape says:

Incidentally, I figured out how to handle the Steam wallet thing. Hint: it involves setting up a second account and using TEMPORARY FUNTIME PASSWORDS like I8*SW$Twt3vb.

11. SirKicksalot says:

The firs game looked pretty bland, but actual level design was superb.
    I remember the big graphics battle between FEAR and Quake 4 back in 2005. FEAR aged badly, Quake is still pretty…

12. Byte Me says:

Make a new (U.S. based) friend, get their address, send them a blank check, and ask them to buy all the games you’d like.

13. blind_boy_grunt says:

so when inception does it is is smart, when fear does it it’s stupid? Nothing against inception but it seems this is even more along the lines of a dreamworld. And where else would you find guys hiding in showers if not in a disturbed girl’s dream? Still, the game looks kinda boring.

• The Dark One says:

Past performance does not guarantee future results, but I think Christopher Nolan’s body of work had earned some level of trust among film goers that the previous FEAR games hadn’t.

• Bret says:

Well, that’s the central thing innit?

Inception WAS smart. Nolan and company set everything up, made it work, and avoided the cliches of this kind of thing.

This, on the other hand, is stupid.

It’s like asking why The Day The Earth Stood Still (original) is a classic, while Plan 9 From Outer Space is routinely mocked.

Well done, The Lad Quinns.

Henceforth, you will be known as… Quinns.

14. anescapedconvict says:

I’d hit it

15. Ace says:

I don’t know about the FEAR hate… I know the expansions were pretty bad but FEAR 1 is still the best, absolute best combat shooting in any video game I’ve played period. I still remember the baddies yelling when they are cut in half from a grenade… “RAAAAAAAAAAAA”

That game was fierce and really intense. I’m reinstalling it now.

• D says:

Playing it on the hardest difficulty and unbinding the slowmo key gives way to a superbly chaotic firefighting experience. One of the best FPSes of all time, imo.

16. Tacroy says:

Helicopters: is there ever a time when they don’t explode?

Discuss.

17. Dinger says:

“Mother Earth is Pregnant for the Third Time”

18. Dhatz says:

there was barely any f.e.a.r. in the sequel, let alone fear. the first was one of best shooters ever made and those teleporting enemies and mechs were most fun to kill and F9 abnd again. But I dont remember if there was F5/9 in sequel.

• karry says:

Best shooter ever made ? Lesse :
      1. Horribly bland graphics. Oversimplified geometry, atrocious texturing.
      2. INSANE system requirements for said crappy graphics for its time.
      3. Vague faily attempts at being scary.

Sorry, doesnt add up to the best shooter ever made. More like the worst.

• blah says:

Saying that FEAR has worse level design than Halo is pushing it… even Operation Matriarchy has more interesting level design than Halo.

I’m sorry fans but it really is that bad.

• D says:

“4. Non-existent level design. Miles and miles of gray corridors and identical offices for the entire game. Even worse than Halo,”
      I guess you actually mean Art Design. In which case, all the four point are completely meaningless to me.

• FunkyBadger says:

What does “oversimplified geometry” even mean? Three sided squares?

Has the quality of posters really gone down so far since Gillen sold out for the colonial dollar?

19. Demiath says:

I’m not a fan of the first game, but the sequel was competent if somewhat uninspired and also downright creepy (in the wrong way) in its sexualized take on Alma. This third one looks OK too, although it remains to be seen whether the addition of co-op weighs it down.

The sequel-bashing FEAR meme is just tiresome and lazy at this point, and vastly overstates the importance of F1EAR (as logic retroactively dictates that the game must be called). Monolith’s glorified J-horror jump-scare mini-game collection may have spawned the lamentable Office Space Shooter subgenre, but nothing else it did was particularly noteable. FEAR2 had more variety and completely unwarranted mechs, which is always a Good Thing.

20. Srethron says:

@ Dhatz
    There’s no quicksave/reload in FEAR2 if that’s what you were asking, just infrequently placed checkpoints.

21. Huggster says:

That trailer was horribly directed and edited.

22. Heliocentric says:

I’ve played every single release of fear, mainly a product of a horror fiend fiancee, condemned was so much better, i still mourn condemned 2 not being ported.

If anyone from the dev or pr department is reading this: The ghost enemies which die in one hit and can only hit you once are not threatening, interesting, fun to fight, suited to a combinations of enemies or scary, drop them.

• blah says:

Is there a particualr reason why Condemned 2 still hasn’t been ‘ported’ to the PC?

(hint @ Monolith : please release Condemned 2 for the PC…)

23. Utgaardsloke says:

Loved the first game, it had excellent shooting action for its time, and an interesting (albeit short) story that unfurled along the way. Outstanding combat AI as well.

24. Alex says:

I liked the first one actually… though it relied very much on LOUD NOISES and people appearing to scare you… very american… favourite bits… at one point you’re about to descend down a ladder.. turn around so that you can climb down and alma is just right in your face!

And i like the bit in the helicopter at the end of the first one.. slightly predicatble perhaps but still… made me jump :)

25. CMaster says:

Wow, so even in Alma’s mind there are only grey, dull concrete environments.

26. hamster says:

Wasn’t as bad as you guys have put it out to be. But it’s quite clearly lost the spirit of the original game so… I don’t know. I haven’t actually even played FEAR 2 but the design on the mechs and the soldiers (retro futuristic, with the rectangular visors) really put me off. It was also a case of what appeared to be fairly poor A.I/ gunplay plus the graphics wasn’t so hot either.

The original FEAR was and still is ridiculously awesome. The combat was great. The “repetitive corridors” criticism I think are rather unfounded – FEAR is about imbuing a sense of supernatural to reality and you could see from the very visually plausible mech/soldier design, to the way the narrative and the plot is handled, to the weapons etc.: FEAR wasn’t going for, you know, full blown fantasy. It’s the ALIENS in a genre full of Freddy v Jasons. Which is, btw, what FEAR 3 (F3AR?) is gunna be like.

27. Sidorovich says:

FEAR would be better if they kept it tense by limiting the amount of ammo, heatlh packs etc. But the last game dished them out like dolly mixtures. Didn’t the orginal limit the amount of slow-mo time too? (the sequel’s re-charge system made most of the sequel a cakewalk)

The ‘big thing’ about this third instalment is the co-op play. Co-op play in a game that relies on ‘scaring’ the single player with ‘jump out of yer seat moments’ ? What were they thinking?

28. theSAiNT says:

I found the first FEAR scary enough to have to stop playing.

I remember being started and falling off one of those ‘ergo chairs’ which did not have back support. It was a scene where ghost girl suddenly appears when you turn around to climb down a ladder (Why is it that climbing ladders leaves you so exposed).

• D says:

To be fair to ladder vulnerability, nobody ever had problems climbing down a ladder in FEAR, unlike many many FPSes where downwards ladder climbing can be a near death defying stunt.

29. Bad Sector says:

There were trees. Grey concrete trees, but still trees,

30. Kylie's Moist Mound says:

What is Fear
    Oh baby, don’t hurt me
    Don’t hurt me no more
    What is Fear
    Oh baby, don’t hurt me
    Don’t hurt me no more (oooh, oooh)

What is Fear?