That’ll Be The “Borders”: End Of Nations

By Jim Rossignol on October 1st, 2010 at 1:30 pm.

“An RTS MMO,” says the Trion Worlds Senior Producer Chris Lena, and “MMORTS”, says I. It’s important to get these things established at the start, I think. These sequences of letters that stand for other things are significant, right? No, don’t just fall asleep face-first on your keyboard! There’s certainly some import in what Lena is actually showing, which is a big old PvP battle in End Of Nations, which is going to support huge old school RTS tank-popping with numerous players per side, which will then be tied into a global campaign for territory. We had a look at this at GamesCom and found it to be moderately interesting, but this extra few minutes of game footage is worth taking a look at. So go. Take a loot. At it.

If we’re lucky, one day on RPS there will only be screen-shots of tanks.

, .

1. Flaringo says:

TANKS!

2. olemars says:

Make an article on Battleground Europe as well (another mmortsomething) and you’ll have covered pretty much all online tank games around in one day.

3. Koozer says:

Better than a day only of screenshots of Minecraft. Har!

4. Heliocentric says:

So, monthly subscriptions then?
    *sighs*

5. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Not sure if want

6. D says:

It would have helped if he had talked a bit about how this is an MMO and what strengths that gives the game. So far it looks like a good RTS for people averse to base building (like me), but there is no reason it’s not just a single player experience. Looking forward to more exposure

7. Sir Digby says:

“and we have access to the tactical [b]nucular[/b] strike”
    silly americans…

The game looks fun but seriously, why can’t game creators/designers go with a realistic look, why do tanks always have to look so faux-futuristic ugly? I’d rather have a F2P MMORTS with the looks of World in Conflict than yet another futuristic or WW2 crappy looking game.

8. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I thought that nuke strike was pretty underwhelming no matter how you pronounce it. I mean it didn’t even kill any of his allies who were in the area and stuff survived the blast. Looked like a big resounding “meh” to me.

• Warduke says:

Exactly, World in Conflict got a nuke strike right. This game just makes it look like a small bomb. Pretty boring..

9. rrgvwrcda says:

It’s called “Nuclear”, for chrissakes. Not “Nookoolear”.

10. Karol says:

I don’t know… “meh” is indeed the word I would use to describe this game. It’s not in any way epic. In fact, it looks like one of the most boring RTS games I would ever play. So I just won’t.

11. Spoon says:

If this were free to play with a cash shop type thing, I might be interested. It doesn’t look like it is in the quality range of a “buy the box, then pay monthly” especially when I can just go play World in Conflict and have a similar experience.

12. ShineDog says:

While the concepts awesome, I just cant bear to see tanks and things spin on the spot like that. Theres no weight to anything, this isnt war. Apparently CoHO has taught RTS developers nothing :(

13. Evoc says:

Only two factions? Sad face :(

3 factions like in shattered galaxy please! Will make war flow more differently then just… back and forth. It might go sideways!

14. Warduke says:

You listening pig?

15. The Snee says:

Reminds me of Cnc 4 in all the bad ways. Units casually and slowly strolling through massive firepower, occasional use of underwhelming powers, and a screen cluttered with numbers popping up all over the shop.
    And that was a very pretty nuke that seemed to do absolutely nothing. Check the video. Seven units before the strike, seven units afterward. Either I’m missing something or that “devastating” attack ‘aint so devastating.

I’m gonna go check out the supcom 2 dlc.

16. Brandonk says:

Something that bothered me in the first video is that the bullets dont seem to carry any wieght with them Figuratively). For example company of heroes each bullet seems so much wieghtier and more important than in this game.

17. Fraser Allison says:

Can we say Massive Online Real Time Strategy? Only because that makes MORTS, which is fun to say.

18. Tei says:

I love the sound of GameTrailers on the morning. Is already paulovian.

Also, theres a delicious quanity of uranium on that nukoolar bomb. Me likes.

19. Solcry says:

This remind anyone of Shattered Galaxy? Because I loved that game and was saddened when it got (practically) dropped.

• Solcry says:

A much, much slower version and with tanks and “super-weapons”.