Training Day: Cities In Motion Beta Signup

By Quintin Smith on October 4th, 2010 at 5:18 pm.

That's 'Training' as in 'Practicing', but also as in the vehicle of the train. Do you see?

Could incredibly mundane-sounding games be RPS’s secret vice? Does being boring count as a vice? I’m not sure.

We posted about Cities In Motion’s launch trailer back in August, but it’s a transport tycoon game scheduled for release as early as Q1 2011. As of today, Paradox has announced that anyone interested in getting in on the beta can do so right here, so long as they do so before midday on October 11th. How can you resist? Just think of all those buses and subway systems running in an inefficient manner. Brr.

, , , .

1. Nallen says:

Transport in SimCity was something I could just never, ever get right. I’m pretty sure I’d suck at this.

2. Jim Rossignol says:

Ain’t nothing secret about it. Bring on the municipal and domestic simulators!

• Rosti says:

It’s why we love you. Expect Walker, obv. Don’t need no simulator for “finding things”, too much like real life.

• Rosti says:

Bah! I’ve got blasé in both my logging in and proof reading. Hubris, my downfall!, that’s teach me!, etc.

• stahlwerk says:

Was “A-Train” (the Maxis distributed Japanese game from the series of the same name) actually any good, or is this just nostalgia draping her rose coloured veil over my memories? Do other entries in the series deserve internationalisation? Discuss.

3. tomeoftom says:

Mr. Wester, we’re coming to a junction, and I can’t for the life of me remember which track we’re supposed to take from here! Could you give us direction, here?

4. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

Right.

5. Moth Bones says:

Aahhh, this looks beautiful.

6. Inverselaw says:

I want to make a train route where the tracks cause the train to either smash into 5 houses or a single one and force the player to choose between the two.

To be followed by a situation where a train will hit 5 houses unless a bus route is diverted into the path of the oncoming train

• Daniel Rivas says:

A moral conundrum! Though the way I heard it, there was a fat man involved.

• westyfield says:

This game needs hard-hitting moral options that will shape your character in unprecedented ways.
      I suggest having a choice between sending a train full of orphans into either the polar bear enclosure at the nearby zoo (renegade), or into a sweet shop (paragon).

• John Peat says:

You’ve got it wrong – there are 2 railway tracks, one is clearly in use and the other is clearly unused.

On the used track there are 3 kids playing – on the unused track there is just 1 – a train is coming.

You can divert the train to the disused track – killing the kid who’s playing in the slightly safer place but saving the 3 kids who are playing in the stupid place – or you can let the stupider kids die.

What do you do…

• Jake says:

Depending on what sort of game it is, you might be able to quickly lay a bit more track and get all the kids for max points.

7. Harmen says:

It looks like they expect actual testers! Didn’t anyone tell that ‘beta’ is more showcase/demo/trial these days?

• Mattressi says:

Yeah, it’s got me beat. Aren’t I supposed to purchase several of their other games and barter my dog for the privilege to play the beta version of a game (AKA the ‘buggy demo’ version)? I don’t know what’s real any more…

• Nallen says:

Some of us in the Software Testing world still cling on to our beloved term like it has a meaning outside ‘crappy demo’

8. Anarki says:

Oh my, Transport Tycoon is one of my favourite games ever and this looks like that but new! Want!

• John Peat says:

You know that TT lives on in the form of OpenTTD and Simutrans – still being updated as I type…???

9. Bret says:

And now I’ve got the 1979 Clash classic “Train in Vain” stuck in my head.

Thanks a lot.

10. Torgen says:

I’ve always enjoyed constructive games. Destructive games are a dime a dozen.

Applied.

11. tanith says:

I wonder if it will be anything like Transport Tycoon / OpenTTD or SimuTrans. Those are great games for people with too much time! (of which I am not one anymore, unfortunately – but when I did have too much time or just took the time those games were great!)

12. terry says:

But…but….that’s not isometric!

13. Train Game says:

Play our free Train Games Rule the Rail, build model trains, railroad landscapes, railway lines, control the trains, create new destinations, change train direction, have much fun while playing traingames