4 L4Deads: The Sacrifice Is Out

By Jim Rossignol on October 5th, 2010 at 6:57 pm.

Valve send word that The Sacrifice, the DLC for both Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, is now available on Steam.

“The new DLC is available free of charge to all Steam gamers who own a copy of L4D and/or L4D2. And, for a limited time, L4D and L4D2 (as well as their respective Steam bundles) are available for 66% off the regular price.”

That said, my Steam doesn’t seem to be updating. Hmm. Oh, now it is.

, , , .

1. fabamatic says:

I have neither, should I buy both of them or with two is just enough? In other words, people still play the original L4D? Is valve releasing L4D3 this november?

• Vinraith says:

There’s really no reason to get the first one at this point, they’ve even ported over one of the campaigns (and with luck, may convert the others as well).

2. Matzerath says:

Just to be contrary, I bought ‘Demigod’ for 5.99 instead.
    (Apparently it has good fan-made AI mods.)
    (I did reload Left4Dead 1 to play the new mission, though.)

3. j says:

why u gona die if the fuckin update donte download for l4d and l4d2

4. Arathain says:

It’s nice to be back in No Mercy. The L4D2 special Infected take to it like it was made for them. Corner camping by the elevator when we have a Spitter? Oh please do.

5. haircute says:

What ever you do, DO NOT LISTEN TO VINRAITH here. Normally, I’m with him. But he has this hate on for l4d that blinds him to reason. Get both and love them equally.

• Vinraith says:

Hate? I was just playing L4D2 (picked it up in the summer sale), I can’t imagine what the point of buying the first would be if you own the second. More campaigns (including one of the originals), more weapons, more special infected, more modes, I can’t fathom why anyone would go back to the first one after playing the second. Granted the characters in the original are (IMO) better, but that’s a fairly minor point and you get the play the originals in the Sacrifice and the converted “No Mercy” anyway.

• SpoonySeeker says:

Exactly, L4D2 has over twice as many campaigns (and that’s ignoring the multiple extra gamemodes) including No Mercy which was pretty much the only worthwhile or fun campaign from L4D1 anyhow.

6. bigguns says:

I finally caved and bought L4D1. I didn’t want the censored L4D2 we are stuck with in Australia, so I’ve been zombie-less for a while. I’m buying this game as it shows Valve have kept their promise to support L4D1. I didn’t want to be stuck with the old game if there was no more content coming out for it as it looked a bit short. Looking forward to finally playing L4D1 Game Of The Year + Bonus mission! It’s going to be a good night! Thanks Valve for supporting the old uncensored game. Enjoy my money ;) Haha.

7. Corbeau says:

There’s only one problem with The Sacrifice: it’s too easy. Compare the finale of The Sacrifice, even if you activate all three generators at the same time, to the finale of The Parish. Not even close in raw challenge. It felt strange to have to sacrifice someone after we pretty much blitzed through the rest of the campaign.

It doesn’t hurt to have another solid mini-campaign though, not to mention good ‘ol No Mercy. And playing the original survivors again just feels *right* – even if we do keep shooting Louis because his office-worker attire looks zombie-like. Oh, and the saferoom dialog is hilarious. :D

Great update overall, and you can’t beat the price!

8. annoyed says:

where the hell is it? im in california, and as of right now, its october 6. and the sacrifice is STILL not showing up for download on my xbox. wtf?

9. MarkSide says:

The Sacrifice downloaded fine for L4D1 last night, but L4D2 is still ‘currently unavailable’. Stteeeaaaamm!! >:(
    :P
    Is anyone else getting this? I’d like to know if it’s regional or if I’ve somehow screwed my install.

10. Lobotomist says:

Caved in and bought L4D2 … only 6$

How the mighty boycotters have fallen :D

But my faith in Valve was restored by release of Alien Swarm. And L4D Sacrifice comic for free.

11. fuggles says:

Well the comic was excellent and there were several potential desktop pictures! As for the DLC it was also good; well made, short and with amusing dialogue about punk-ass islands.

The L4D one is much better than L4D2, for all the reasons I’ve always stated. For me, when you get caught by a horde in L4D then you are in trouble as you stumble slowly about trying to shoot/push them off you to gain space. In L4d2 you equip your melee weapon and ignore them. Melee is a farce in L4D2, it is one of many things such as the ammo types that seems designed to make the game quicker and to make the level about quick forward motion – Instant kills in a 45 degree arc with quick reload and stumble is all sorts of silly. The finale of the sacrifice is quite easy anyway, but especially with melee there is nothing touching you in the open or in the melee width corridors.

No mercy is a nice add on, although I don’t much care for the l4d2 engine. I think it’s because it all looks a bit too colorful and vibrant, rather than dull and grimy ala L4D. The character models seem pretty poor too, although this may be my settings, as francis has a hexagon for a pistol hand. No mercy is good despite the l4d2 additions, rather than because of them. I like how they have patched the elevator roof to avoid spitters though ^^.

Overall, heck it’s free and the new dialogue had me genuinely laughing aloud (which further shows what a mis-step the new characters were). Reasonably sure you could turn on that last generator and then make it into the water for the boat though, if your friends could be bothered to pick you up. Lets be honest, in that scenario the safest person to be is Zoey :D

• pipman3000 says:

when you get attacked by the horde in left 4 dead you all squeeze into the nearest corner and kill them without any effort.

12. Zogtee says:

I just played a bit of Sacrifice. Being old and feeble, the difficulty is about right for me. I saw a couple of special infected fighting each other and ignoring the players in two spots, which looked really fun. A glitch, I suppose. When it comes to practicing for the zombie armageddon, it’s hard to beat the L4D games. At the current price, there’s a shitload of game and content there.

13. Bob Marley says:

Get your Mummy to buy it for you.

14. adonf says:

I’m not up-to-date with zombie games, so this is all very confusing

Where can I find information about what add-ons are available, and which ones are included in the steam offer for each game and for the 1+2 bundle ? Also, someone here said that the levels from l4d1 were ported to l4d2, but is this part of the regular download or is it a paid expansion pack ? What about the DLCs, were they ported too ?

Please help me get unconfused !

• bleeters says:

It’s my understanding that the various addons L4D1 and 2 have recieved so far were all free anyway, so you get them all automatically when you purchase the game.

I think.

• Premium User Badge Okami says:

All add-ons for both games are free. Except if you own the 360 versions of the games, then you have to pay for everything, because Microsoft don’t like developers putting up free content on Live.

15. meh... says:

UPDATED 1,455.0mb
    TIME INITIATED 17:04
    TIME REMAINING 19 MINUTES

must have been busy yesterday xD

16. Snall says:

I like the game but it has crashed or kicked me out of the game after a while each time (Only playing online with people)- sorta pissing me off.

17. eightiesmullet says:

Snall – if you have any old maps in your “Addons” folder, delete them. This happened to me too.

18. Mark says:

I prefer L4D1 to L4D2 (darker, better characters, grimier, no melee weapons, stark maps with more vertical gameplay) , but they’re both really good games and well worth it at the sale price. Get ‘em!