Phew! It’s My Yearly Mouse Update

By Jim Rossignol on October 5th, 2010 at 2:34 pm.

So, after last year’s discussions, I went for the now-out-of-production Razer Diamondback, on which the laser has just failed. In truth it was a bit of a relief, because I never fully adjusted to it, and I felt it was too low-budget for a man of my exotic stature. Time for something new, clearly, and the newness I’ve just received is the Logitech G500. An expensive move on my part, but it feels good to rest my gentle hand on such quality. The tiny weighted cartridge, which you you can add a series of 4.5g and 1.5g weights (“I say, this mouse is 27 grams too light!” etc), is clearly ludicrous, but I rather like the on-the-fly DPS control and the gears for the mouse-wheel. If I were some kind of hardware reviewing guy I would say that it was robust, with high long-term ergonomic suitableness.

The Razer faithful (RPS chum Tom Nullpointer) have already chastised me for not going for the 17-button Naga, but that was too much thumb for me. It’d be like having a mobile phone for a mouse, or something.

What are your hands fidgeting with, readers?

UPDATE: the G500 makes a barely audible high-pitched whistle. Odd.

, , .

1. loGi says:

My 2rd MX518 going on at the moment.

Nathan says:

Same here, and I can’t see myself getting rid of it for a good while yet.

• BAReFOOt says:

I stopped using Logitech, when I found all their little designed-to-break things, that make you pointlessly buy a new mouse. Like the glide pads, that go away in no time. Or the cable that breaks way to easily. Or when it just stops working for no reason at all, causing your system to crash when you plug it in. (I think that’s just with the wireless ones.)
      I think the weight thing is pointless too. A heavier mouse just causes more inertia. And that’s it. Duh.

I have a Razer Copperhead. And while it luckily does not have weights and is pretty light, it has all other features you described. Since a long time ago. I especially like the profiles. I went so far as to create meta-modes by assigning a button to a script that re-programs the normal modes in the mouse.
      Unfortunately, I had to program the on-the-fly thing with the mouse wheel myself for Linux.

Also, being left-handed, I automatically ignore all right-hand-Nazis.

• Flaringo says:

I’ve had this MX518 for maybe 4 years, if not more, and it’s still working just fine. I don’t even treat it that well! Great mouse.

• jalf says:

Yeah, I’m not sure when I bought my mx518 either, but it’s got to be at least 4-5 years ago.

It still works perfectly. The only way it’s showing its age is really that it’s getting pretty grubby. You wouldn’t want to put it in a store window on display, but it works great.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

Also an MX518 user. I need a chunky mouse as despite my username I’m actually not very little (or a monkey) and I tried a sleek Razer mouse but it left the edges of my fingers rubbing on the mousemat. The MX is about as responsive as I need as anything over 1600 DPi and I don’t play a game so much as spastically twitch through it shooting myself in the feet repeatedly.

• Will says:

I can’t remember a time when my mouse wasn’t my trusty MX518… Before, I had a RAZR or whatever they’re called but it broke after 3 months.

I suppose everyone just automatically hates the first expensive mouse that ever broke on them, so by random chance some people will hate even the most reliable brands. Although if one looks at responses in aggregate – I think I do see a lot of love for the Logitechs.

• Paul says:

*raises hand as another happy MX518 user*

• Toxi says:

Bought my first MX518 as a open box return from best buy. Used it for more than 5 years. Just got my 2nd one a year ago. The old one still works perfect on another pc in the house :D I love the way the 500 is styled and might get one in 5 or 6 years when and if i decide to change mice.

• MD says:

I’ve had this MX518 for years and years. (No idea how many, but I reckon it’d be at least 5.) No problems so far! In the hope that they don’t start worrying about the lack of repeat purchases, I should note that I plan to repay them by sticking with Logitech until I do get a dud, and recommending them to others when I get the chance.

• DarkFenix says:

Barefoot your little conspiracy theory falls a bit flat when you consider that Logitech customer service send out replacement mice with zero fuss. Did you even bother to call them?

2. nayon says:

Logitech G700. You can even make it wireless or wired.

Don’t buy the Razer Mamba, its wheel always gets damaged and starts squeaking loudly, I had it replaced 3 times but still.

The Logitech G700 is very configurable and you can even transform its wheel from clicky to rolly.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

I’ve just used an M500 for years at this point, if I’m going to use a mouse to play games at all. What are you doing with all of those buttons?

• Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

I’m really mad at them for releasing the G700 just now, because I bought a MX1100 which has the same shape (for which I bought it) but lacks the precision and response because it’s only wireless… :\

Anyway, I’m back to my A4tech X7 now – really good and snappy for gaming, fairly cheap, and actually I was kinda relieved by it’s more flatter shape and less weight than the MX1100 (damn those batteries weigh, even if you leave just one)

• sfury says:

Wow, Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox, is reading my mind today… :D

• BAReFOOt says:

Weird, I never had a problem with at Razer mouse. Maybe the new models?
      What I had problems with, is the fraud that Logitech calls its mice. They are intentionally designed, to break at certain places. Cable, glide pads, wheel, and some internal firmware thing where it crashes your system. I’ve had them all.

So look out for all mice (no matter the company) with anything other than a very thick cable, very thick glide pads, a wheel that’s build in a very robust way, and updateable firmware. Because your high-performance mouse isn’t very high-performance, when it’s dead…

• Zyrxil says:

You haven’t had a problem with Razer, but tons of people have. Razer has absolute shit build quality/quality control.

• SomeGuy says:

I’m still using an old G5, best mouse ive ever had, and lasted me a good 4-5 years at this point. Got all the main features of the newer mouses too.

• DrGonzo says:

@Barefoot

My Razor broke pretty quickly. In fact it’s probably the worst built mouse I’ve ever owned. Their drivers also cause bluescreens. I’m not sure why anyone would buy any of their products.

• Pangaron says:

I have G700 as well (I replaced my G5 a few weeks ago). Absolutely awesome mouse, wire+wireless, AA battery (you can get that one anywhere if needed, right?) and a lot of buttons to configure. Combining it with G13 I fell like in gamers heaven sometimes.

3. Mr Wednesday says:

I’m still rocking the original G5.

• JustOneWay says:

So am I.
      It was so much better than anything else I had ever used when I got it and I still love it to this day.

• Ginger Yellow says:

G5 here too. I like it, but it’s not amazing.

• Alexander Norris says:

G5v2 owner myself. I’ve had it for four years and it’s still in perfect working form.

• jonfitt says:

G5 also. I never have changed the weights though, I just loaded it up as heavy as it would go and was done.
      I also never use the DPI change. It’s too fiddly to reach below the scroll wheel under pressure.

• KillahMate says:

Another G5. Had it for five years, love it very much. A bit worn, but still works great.

• rhizo says:

A G5 here as well. The surface material is a bit worn already but otherwise it’s in good shape. The DPI changer is a life-saver in games like BFBC2 where the sensitivity in menus and in vehicles would otherwise be a big pain. Takes a while to get used to changing DPI mid-game, it certainly caused me a few embarrassing deaths along the way. The mouse has lasted a lot longer than the worst of the MX-series that broke in a month or two.

• chokoladenudlen says:

G5v2 is also my current rodent of choice.

• DarkFenix says:

Another G5v2 user here. Moved up to it having gone through two MX518′s.

• fallingmagpie says:

Me nine. Load it up as heavy as it goes, and let it rip. Nice heft. Had it three years, no problems.

4. dancingcrab says:

Razer Salmosa. The main button squeaks a bit (no pun intended), but other than that, I’m happy with it. I don’t played enough in the way of competitive multiplayer stuff to really care too much about my mouse-hardware.

5. Schtee says:

My bazillion-year-old Razer Diamondback conked out the other day (there’s a slight break in the cord, such that lifting it makes the Windows detach booboop sound). I also replaced it with a G500. It feels ridiculous having a weight cartridge and mouse-wheel-free-wheel, but it seems like a good mouse. And it’s a helluvalot cheaper than the Razer Imperator I was looking at.

6. Taverius says:

Anywhere MX, as I’m on a lappie.

• mlaskus says:

Same here. I love my little rodent.

• Jhoosier says:

I had some sort of MX wireless I got about 4 years ago, then I got a wireless keyboard/mouse combo while in Singapore, and it seemed silly to have the extra USB port taken up, so now my mouse is kinda generic. But it’s all Logitech. Actually, nearly all my peripherals are (well, my webcam is anyway).

Never had one fail, really, so I think that’s why.

Relatedly, I sit quite far from my CPU, so I use wireless stuff because it keeps the cords straight and me from going crazy. Do other people game with wireless keyboards/mice? Hmm, or maybe I’ll just ask in forums.

7. Chiablo says:

Logitech G9. One of the weirdest looking, but most comfortable and awesome mice available. I’m a Logitech fanboy simply because their customer service is so amazing.

• President Weasel says:

I liked the G9, although I managed to wear out the cord due to putting a permanent kink in it. While it worked it was extremely comfortable, despite or even because of the unusual shape.
      The whole “tray of interchangeable weights” schtick that logitech has going on is pretty silly. Despite having had two mice from logitech with that feature I’ve never found myself thinking “if only my mouse was fractionally more massy at the front I’d totally have got that medic”.
      Still, for something that I’d probably use for 3 or 4 hours on an average day and would last me a year, the price is pretty reasonable. I’ve no idea what I am using now instead of the G9; it may be a G500. I’d recommend the G9 to people who are thinking about getting one.

• Phinor says:

G9 here too. My second actually. The first one simply ran out of clicks ie. the buttons stopped working. Few e-mails later I was sent a brand new replacement G9. Very few people seem to like the G9 variant but to me it’s simply the best mouse I’ve ever used and that includes some very dark years between around 2000 and 2007 when I must have tried five different mouses every year. That was, until I got my first G9.

• csuzw says:

I’ve got a G9 as well and while it’s the best mouse I’ve ever owned it’s not perfect. I find I often accidentally hit the profile button just below the left mouse button and it almost always happens at the wrong time. That said I could probably set all profiles to be the same without it causing me any problems as it’s so rare I legitimately want to change it.

I’m replacing it with the G700 as I’ve been looking for a mouse with a few extra side buttons (not loads like the Naga) and I like the fact it can be switched easily between wired and wireless.

• Loopy says:

I also have a G9, I’ve been through a few already in the last…. 5 years? No idea how long they’ve actually been out.

• wererogue says:

I’ve had a g9 for about 2 years, and it’s still going strong, and I love it to bits. While the weighted cartridge is way over the top, I have switched between full and empty a few times, for a change.

My work mouse is a g5, and it’s perfectly serviceable for TF2 every lunchtime.

• President Weasel says:

Damn my eyes, I didn’t even think of contacting logitech for a replacement. I guess I am just used to bad customer service.

8. Snall says:

I still like my old Logi G5.

9. John Peat says:

MX518 – v.happy with it, been great for 2+ years now

10. Theory says:

I switched to a trackball recently and haven’t considered going back. It’s far easier on the wrist and arm and is just as accurate (although clearly, I’m not at quite the same level as I was after 10+ years with a mouse).

The only problem is that you can’t track as far in one sweep: the surface of the ball becomes your mousepad in a sense, and there is less surface area before you hit the body of the mouse with your thumb. I’ve got it set up to do 180° turns in one “spin” though, and that’s a pretty good compromise.

• pepper says:

For games I still have a normal mouse, especially FPS games, but for normal computing I use a trackball mouse, much more comfortable and I can use it with my left hand, whilst the normal mouse sit in the place for the right hand so that I can switch on the fly.

11. Brumisator says:

OH I just love my Diamondback, I had…I think it was a copperhead before that, very similar to the diamondback.

When this one dies, I’m totally getting another razer mouse. I’m in love with them <3

My only problem is that the teflon pads wear out quickly on my filthy mouse pad.

• Ricotta says:

Agreed, I’ve messed with lots of logitech mice and they just don’t have the right feel that my razer mice do. I have a copperhead which i love to death for my work laptop, and i just bought a death adder last week and i love it. I know Razer mice will last forever, I’ve had my copperhead for as long as i can remember!

12. Schaulustiger says:

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 forever and always.

Razer mice are also good, though. But I’m just madly in love with the Intelli series.

• Spandex says:

Amen

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Ditto, picked mine up years ago as my first optical mouse (after having to break out the PCG blackberry-on-a-stick mouse cleaner one too many times) and it’s still going strong, albeit worryingly discoloured.

• dartt says:

Likewise, I’m on my third intellimouse, each one having lasted for several years of intensive use. They feel very natural now, after all this time, and I can’t imagine changing.

• LionsPhil says:

The Intellimouse v3 was the highpoint of computer rodents. I really ought to replace my fussy Logitech MX Laser with another one, because the “old” optics work a hell of a lot better on a wider array of surfaces. And it doesn’t randomly decide that one scroll-down increment is ten 10% of the time, which makes weapon-switching an exciting adventure in probability.

mrpier says:

I’m on my second at the moment, and the first one still works except something happened with the mousewheel so it got too sensitive.

• Brian says:

As much as I had always thought the Intellimouse Explorer to be the epitome of mouse design, Microsoft has outdone itself yet again with its new Sidewinder series. My model is just called the Sidewinder (not X3 or any such suffix) and is a 2000dpi laser mouse with distinctly protruding metal thumb buttons and a fat, wide metal wheel. It’s a large, adjustable, wonderful mouse that is perfect for my large, meaty mitts. You can modify the resolution with the 3 toggle buttons and can map any button to any keyboard key to force full button support even in the most oblivious games (my favourite is mapping the two thumb buttons to pgup and pgdown for Sims 3 which raises or lowers the camera by one floor per click).

Take my advice and don’t underspend on a lesser model (like my wife’s Sidewinder X5). The buttons and wheel are plastic and it doesn’t come with weights nor their carrying case which doubles as a cable tether.

13. Dave says:

I’m rocking a G500 as well, after my old friend Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer Something-or-other finally gave up the ghost after 10 years or so.

I still despise wires on mice, but this is a good mouse. The weights might be useful if you have a slingshot or something.

• Stromko says:

I’ve tried a few wireless mice, but I couldn’t handle them flaking out at critical moments, or the slightest bit of latency. Also, handling the batteries is a pain. I’m using a G500 myself. Mine doesn’t make a high-pitched whistle, or any sound at all as far as I can tell, and the braided cable has thus far saved it from the curious bites of my cat. I’m sure he’d tear it to shreds if he put his mind to it though.

14. skotch says:

Razer Habu. It’s a few years old project between Microsoft and Habu. Nice shape, a little bit fatter than the usual gaming mice. My favorite part is that the buttons are separate pieces of plastic. I really dislike mice that have the one big piece of plastic that includes the two buttons on it.

As far as buttons go it’s nothing too fancy, there’s two thumb buttons and two on-the-fly DPI adjusters by the wheel that can be reprogrammed.

Best part of the mouse? It fits in my hand.

Had one fail, and the click acts up on this from time to time (likes to double click on single clicks).

Seniath says:

I’ve been rocking an MX1000 for the last, um, four years, but the middle click button is slowly dying and the battery is storing less and less charge, so I dare-say it’s time to look for an upgrade myself.

• The Dark One says:

Hey, that’s exactly what’s happening with me. I have to push the middle click a little bit sideways to get it to register and it drops down to two bars of battery after a full day’s use, but otherwise the mouse is a trooper.

16. toaster says:

Logitech G5. I looove Logitech stuff, really high quality and lasts for a very long time. You could say I’m a Logitech whore.. heheh. Rockin my G15 and G5 with a G25 wheel. Also have a C600 webcam and H360 for Skype calls.

17. zornbringer says:

razer deathadder. my favorite mouse so far, except the original microsoft optical mouse was also prety nice.

it has the fancy blue glow on the logo and on the wheel and no overkill buttons. just two on the side. perfect for me.

will buy this mouse again and again if its brakes sometime.

• Fumarole says:

Same here, and I’ve had it for maybe two years or so. I’d definitely buy another.

18. Farfarer says:

My faithful Logitech MX Revolution.

Had to remap it a little as the scroll-wheel – while very fun (a word rarely used to describe scroll wheels) – is too clunky to be of any real middle-mouse-button use.

• SquareWheel says:

I had an MX Revolution but recently got an MX Performance. Both are good mice. I admit I miss the left scroll “wheel” and charging dock of the Rev, but their unifying USB dongle, smoother buttons, and better tracking is probably worth it for an upgrade.

I got this for free under warranty after my Rev started missing clicks and the rubber was peeling really badly.

• neolith says:

Does the Performance also have a wheel that automatically switches between free and precision mode? Or do you have to switch yourself?

19. Gene says:

Diamondback too low-budget? Fucking snob :P

20. Bluebreaker says:

my old 3€ mouse beats you expensive shit.

21. st.Andrew says:

I’m quite happy with my Mamba!! No squeak to speak of and I’m putting in about 15 hours of use a week over the last year.

The left hand is one of those silly ‘ergonomic’ one-handed gaming keypads, some Logitech cat#, but I’m quite pleased with that also.

22. Auspex says:

My mouse is from Argos and the mouse wheel doesn’t work properly.

Beat that!

23. Wang Tang says:

I’m in the Logitech fanboy base as well, and my G5 still works like on the first day.

24. Simon Dufour says:

I had my Logitech MX518 mouse for as long as I can remember. More than 3 years. I have the old 1600 DPI version.

It STILL works perfectly well. So I can’t buy a new one.

I’m not sure about Razer now. I bought a new headset (Razer Piranha) from them and I’m not a fan. While the product do look solid, I feel like the mic is too short and the adjustments are really lacking. I might just stick with Logitech for everything now.

25. cubed2D says:

Logitech all the way for mice, i have a G5 and a G500 at the moment, and i love them both <3

26. Alex Ruddick says:

Some sort of cheap-o corded optical mouse from Microcenter. I think it cost me $5-10. Works just fine for anything I care to play, and I don’t worry about it breaking when I throw it in a backpack, etc.

27. PiD says:

I’ve got the Cyborg R.A.T 7 mouse, it’s a odd looking thing but it’s surprisingly comfortable! I’ve not found a use for the crazy thumb wheel thing but I love the programmable aspect.

28. mrmud says:

My ancient Logitech G7
    Its out of production and pretty much impossible to get hold of these days but I cant seem to find a suitable replica.

The combination of form factor, wirelessness and hotswappable batteries is just something I cant seem to find anywhere else.

• Warduke says:

I’m with ‘ya. I’ve been using my G7 for 4 years now and it’s still going strong. I’ve been really happy with it.

• Petethegoat says:

Oh god, the G7 was my favourite mouse of all time.
      Kept using mine until it couldn’t hold charge for more than an hour or so. :(

Still, it held strong for five or so years, can’t complain.
      I’m now happy with a G500. The shape is just similar enough to bring back the memories.

• Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

I too am a G7 lover. Hotswappable batteries (so there is always have one charged), fast wireless (no lag, but also no cable to get filthy or caught on things). Just enough buttons. Comfortable.

I’ve been this one for 4-5 years now. I bought four of the things (originally for four different machines), which means right now I have two spares.

And if/when the batteries go, I’ll open them up, pull out the cells and find replacements from somewhere on the internets.

29. TehBuLL says:

I’ve been on this Logitech G5 (The one with the blue lighting looking pattern) for awhile now and it is easily the best mouse I’ve ever used. I’ve never dived into the whole *entire keyboard on a mouse* thing…seems counter intuitive. But for mice, I only go Logitech.

30. Dataflashsabot says:

A crappy, ultra-low-price logitech optical.

31. datazbytes says:

Sidewinder X8 here. Im happy with it.

32. Dawngreeter says:

My girlfriend’s Razer Imperator is just awesome. I have the old Razer Lachesis and I like that it’s longer than Imperator. It feels better when you rest your palm on it. But Imperator is made exclusively for righties and it adds that little bit of comfort when you handle it.

I hear there’s a new Lachesis out, with all the hardware improvements of Imperator. Which is cool, but were I to buy a new one I’d go for Imperator.

33. Ian says:

Another one with a really basic two-buttons-and-a-wheel job.

I can’t begin to imagine what you mentalists do with all those buttons.

• subedii says:

You find the two extra buttons are really handy after just a short period of usage.

By default, the two side thumb buttons scroll forwards and backwards through Explorer or your internet browser, and when you’ve become used to that it’s so intuitive you can’t imagine doing it another way.

In games, well again, you map them to what suits you, and you find it saves having to map lots of stuff on the keyboard. In Batman Arkham Asylum for example, the two side buttons are mapped by default to to quick batarang and grappling line, which quickly becomes intuitive.

Most FPS’s I tend to map them to some combination of melee / grenade / aim / zoom depending on how many functions the game has and how they’re used. Gears of War has grenades mapped to a number just like any other weapon for example, but binding it to MB4 makes using them far more intuitive. Similar with Half-Life 2 and grenades / RPG. Mapping those to MB4 or 5 made me use them far more often since I could just quick-switch to them. A lot of games have a default “grenade” button, but even those that don’t, I’ve found if you bind it to the mouse button then you can use them rapidly. Similar with melee.

34. CogDissident says:

I use a “Logitech trackman wheel”. The thumb wheel is really comfortable for me, and it is really good for FPS games, and 8+ hour gaming sessions without causing any wrist problems.

Used the same mouse foe 6+ years now, and i tend to burn through 1 a year, but I like the design enough to keep re-buying it every time.

35. OptionalJoystick says:

If you’re not a fan of the weight cartridge, you could stick some USB ports up there instead! For some reason!

36. LimEJET says:

Oh dear yes. There is nothing better than the Intelli3. I’m going to buy my third one soon, the one I use now is so well-used you can actually use it as a mirror.

37. yves torres says:

I think this is the next mouse I’m going go to get, love the look and it was apparantly well received.

38. Novotny says:

I remember this from last year, when the vast majority of us implored you to get an MX518. I certainly advised against the razor mouse, which I had bought only months earlier and given away. You bought it.

For the love of all things FPS, get yourself an MX518. I haven’t used anything else in maybe 6 years now

39. Shrewsbury says:

A Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000. It ain’t pretty, but it’s the most comfortable mouse ever, especially for a lefty like me who can’t use these crappy ‘ergonomic’ mice.

40. konrad_ha says:

My Razer Lachesis does exactly what I need and not more. Was a pain to install under Win7-64, though. But hey, as a PC-gamer I love making things work against all odds.

41. subedii says:

Like a lot of others, been using the MX518 for a few years now, and would happily replace it with another one.

Cheap, does the job. Can be a little fiddly to clean the cracks between the mouse buttons and the frame, but that’s a minor thing.

42. Zind says:

Razer Lachesis. Just enough side buttons; not too many, with the on-the-fly DPI controls (I generally keep it at 4000 though, unless I’m sniping) and a wheel that’s easy to click without scrolling.

43. AzraelXJM says:

Thinking of upgrading from my generic logitech mouse to something configurable for gaming, and ideally for time-saving in game editors. Fellow at work has a vertical mouse that you hold like it’s a drinks can, which is actually a more natural position for your wrist. But something about the shape of the thing is unsettling, like it just shouldn’t *be*.

44. egg says:

Had a MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Failed. But it served me good for a few years.

Had a Razer Deathadder. Failed. And I totally hate their tech support.

Have a MX 518. Love it. 100%.

El_MUERkO says:

I use a mamba, however I’ve had some issues. My first Mamba died while upgrading the firmware and on my current Mamba the rubber side grips have started to slip about, I think the glue underneath them is weakened over time.

Other than that it’s the best mouse, wireless, hyper accurate and incredibly comfortable.

46. Lewie Procter says:

I have an OK logitech wireless one I got with wireless keyboard, for like £8ish by making PC World pricematch it from £29.99 to £10 at Staples.

Served me alright, but the range is pretty low.

47. Spinoza says:

I’m using Power of Will (TM).Works wonders.

48. groovychainsaw says:

I got the G500 when the battery on my old mx700 started playing up and I decided I’d never used the wireless feature really (only sitting 2 ffet from the tower…). I love some of the G500′s features, paticularly the dynamic DPI shift (slow down for sniping, speed up for strafing!), and, weirdly, the braiding on the cable, meaning it doesn’t snag on the table surface. Just feels well thought through. Its VERY light with no weights in though. I happily put all the weights in and even then it was only about the same as the old mx700. Which I like, I like a bit of resistance from my mouse. Can’t praise the G500 enough really, bit pricey, but probably the best mouse I’ve owned.

49. Zyrxil says:

Currently using a NAOS 5000. Ridiculously configurable software, plus all the weights and DPI buttons that come with expensive mice. Ergnomically very comfortable, and is very solid in build quality.

• BAReFOOt says:

“braided cable” reads good.
      40,000 Hz sampling rate sounds like a horrible CPU hog. When I switch mine from 500 Hz (that’s 2ms) to 1000 HZ (1ms) the only difference I can tell, is that CPU usage goes way up. No mouse should have any noticable CPU usage at all. With 40 times that, my whole CPU would be eaten up. And even with the best system money can buy, it would still be way too much, eating away frames. No thanks.

• Zyrxil says:

Not sure where you’re getting 40,000 or exactly what that number’s for. It has up to 1000hz polling rate, adjustable down to 100hz in the software if you don’t want it.

50. wviperw says:

Once again, using the SteelSeries Ikari Optical–at home AND at work.