DeathSpank Coming To PC, Along With Shank

By John Walker on October 6th, 2010 at 6:47 pm.

At last.

It’s always disappointing when those who have made their careers making PC games announce their next project is to be console only. Dirty turncoats like Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, who’d be nothing – NOTHING – without the PC have betrayed us in a very real way, for which there can be no forgiveness. Only hate. Unless they then release their game on PC. Schafer’s still dead to us, but welcome back Mr Gilbert! DeathSpank‘s coming to PC and Mac on the 26th October.

Well, Hothead anyway, since Gilbert left Hothead after the game came out, and now works for DoubleFine. But that wouldn’t have given me the opportunity to call Schafer names above the jump.

Deathspank, the action RPG that was formerly hidden on XBLA and PSN, is now coming to Steam. In fact, it’s appearing alongside the other “what about us?” game, Shank. You can pre-order the pair with 15% off in the Shank N ‘Spank pack too.

This is, they claim, the result of PC gamers having a good whinge. Vlad Ceraldi, Hothead’s Director of Something Something explains:

“Bringing the game to PC and Mac was a direct response to the repeated requests by our fans and we are thrilled that DeathSpank has become so popular and such a phenomenon, ensuring that we can fulfill those requests. The humor, story and core gameplay elements in DeathSpank were all inspired by some of our favorite PC games.”

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Schaulustiger says:

I pre-ordered DeathSpank immediately, not necessarily because of the game itself but because of Ron Gilbert’s excellent sense of humor when it comes to writing dialogue.

Concerning Shank, I’m not so sure. I was pretty excited when the first trailers were released, but it got only lukewarm reviews. Does anyone from the RPS readership have experiences to share with us from the console version?

• DrGonzo says:

Great fun, while it lasts. I would have said it was excellent, but it’s far too short for the price.

• Schaulustiger says:

@DrGonzo:

What kind of “short” are we talking about? I don’t mind spending 12€ for 4 or 5 hours of good fun, but everything shorter than that would be a bit disappointing.

• DrGonzo says:

2 hours, a little under or over depending on you skill. It does come with a separate Co-op campaign, though that’s even shorter.

• Schaulustiger says:

@DrGonzo:

Ugh, that is indeed quite short. I think I’ll pass on that and wait for a Steam sale. Thanks for the info!

• DrGonzo says:

No problem. I do want to say again though that Shank is incredibly good fun and really pretty with amazing animations.

• Chaz says:

Death Spank I liked but Shank was just tedious button mashing, nice animations but otherwise crap.

• Mac says:

I’ve waited this long for it, I may aswell wait a couple more months and pick it up in the inevitable Steam christmas sale … too many games to play at the moment in any case.

Shame it wasn’t released at the same time as the consoles.

In addition – there will likely be a bundle released shortly with both Deathspank games in it.

• Raum says:

Fun fact: did you know it was pretty much Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer who wrote the dialogue for the MI games?

I’m not entirely sure Gilbert has written all that much dialogue (except for the one in Maniac Mansion, perhaps).

I’m not trying to take anything away from him, though. The guy is responsible for SCUMM, without Gilbert, there wouldn’t have been any of the LA classics.

2. DrGonzo says:

I tried the 360 version of Deathspank, it was funny and pretty, but shit. Hopefully that was due to having to use a controller and it will be fun with a mouse and keyboard.

3. stahlwerk says:

Great News!

(Of course one might argue that without Schafer and Gilbert, graphical adventure gaming would not have happened the way it did. On the PC.)

• Patrick says:

It just would have happened the Sierra way, which is INSTADEATH EVERYWHERE.

• DrGonzo says:

I still have nightmares about that freaky zombie guy in Space Quest 4. I freak out every time I see a Duracell bunny.

• Quests says:

Sierra is the real PC way, imo.

• stahlwerk says:

@DrGonzo why… how did you… no…

*cries*

• DrGonzo says:

OH MY CHRIST!? HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

• olemars says:

(prequalifying eventual reply fail – this is in response to DrGonzo’s SQ4 zombie)

The zombie from SQ4 didn’t scar me that much past childhood, but the Arnoid from SQ3 on the other hand… Invisible doom inevitably chasing you while you desperately try to find a safe place. Took me weeks and countless sierra-deaths to figure out how to kill him.

• Subject 706 says:

Took me only days to figure out how to kill the Arnoid :)
      I also found out there were multiple ways to kill him.

4. AndrewC says:

“So there you go. If you’ve learned anything from this it’s to complain, and to complain loudly. All the time. About everything.”

Thanks, John.

• Nick says:

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb!

• Lars Westergren says:

Yeah, great idea John, encourage the Angry Internet Men!

And in more awesome gaming news, GoG now has Icewind Dale Complete
      (it’s gotta be only a matter of time before BG2 appears).

And Fallout:New Vegas is sounding awesome:

s darker, funnier and more engaging than its Bethesdan forerunner. If you’re a wasteland devotee, you’re certainly right to be excited. There’s little doubt that it captures the underlying spirit of the first Fallout far better than Fallout 3 did – the dark comedy is more cutting and the people you come across are often deeper and more interesting to toy with. It’s an altogether fiercer game.

Woo!

• AndrewC says:

RPS is a fucking pile of shit now and i’m going to cancel my subscription unless I get videoblogs of John reviewing adventure games in his pants.

• Dominic White says:

Quite frankly, I’d rather he remove the adventure games from his pants before reviewing. Otherwise things could get pretty awkward.

• AndrewC says:

Video evidence of where John keeps his adventure games or I swear, I’ll go to Kotaku.

• John Walker says:

Actually my pants can run simple 2D adventure games, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

• Hodge says:

IT IS PITCH BLACK. YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A GRUE.

• A.I.M. says:

Does not seem to work for True PC Gamers and DNF fans complaining about the 2 weapon limit of the Duke.

Over 84% of over 200 people have voted that they think the weapon slot restriction is shit, yet all Siegler and friends seem to be saying is “So? We could sell a turd if we stuck a Duke label on it. Besides, only console games sell. So screw you 10+ years waiting PC player fan community, SUXX IT DAWN!”.

I am now, after years of being the “I know it will come out, I believe in the Duke” camp firmly located in the “Well f*ck you, too, rather be paying Paradox Interactive for real PC games” PC section instead.

Thanks consolefags! Hope all the cripple-supportyness eventually tanks crucially financially.

5. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Sadly, I already bought an Xbox 360 six weeks ago in order to play Deathspank (and Alan Wake). Now I feel needlessly dirty.

Well, except for Alan Wake, which was very pretty and good fun, if quite poor in many, many ways.

• Nick says:

its not balanced for monitors.

• oO says:

People like you(bought a console just for game x, y and maybe z) make the PC cry itself to sleep at night.

6. Mathew Jensterle says:

I did get Shank for the 360 and I did enjoy it, though it took me some practice to be able to play it fluidly and without dying all the time. God knows what it would be like without a joypad controller. The style of play is exactly how you would imagine it to be, but the control system allows enough depth that I felt there was definitely something beyond button bashing in order to progress. It is a shortish game, but the separate co-op campaign adds to that. I wonder how much the presentation affects my opinion of the game though; the aesthetic of the whole thing appeals to a deep part of my brain.

7. Po0py says:

I wonder, if we all complain loud enough, is it possible that we could get them to change their mind and not release it for the PC? Y’know, just for the hell of it.

8. John Peat says:

Shank is pretty “meh” and not really PC fodder – it’s nothing special really…

Deathspank should be improved by being on PC – I never felt it was a great fit for TV/sofa gaming anyway…

9. Baka says:

No Idea what the game is.
    Off to youtube then I guess, article apparently doesn’t want to tell me. :p

10. DeepSleeper says:

Predicting that the same people who complained loud and hard will complain just as loud and just as hard when they realize that Deathspank is a very light, very non-randomized monster bash-em-up with bright colors and goofy voice acting.
    Exactly the kind of game most PC-hardcore scorn for being “too kiddy-console”.

It’s gonna be fun to watch that explosion.

11. Simon says:

Oh, I’ve been looking forward to Shank for a while, I guess I’ll check out the Steam page.

“INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. EA ONLINE PRIVACY POLICY AND TERMS OF SERVICE CAN BE FOUND AT http://www.ea.com. GAME USES SOLIDSHIELD CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY. (WWW.SOLIDSHIELD.COM). GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO TWENTY COMPUTERS AT THE SAME TIME; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/ FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DE-AUTHORIZATION. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE SERVICES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates.”

Oh.

Never mind, then.

As you were.

• Ignorant Texan says:

Thankfully, it looks like we’ll be spared that horse-shit with Deathspank.

• Clovis says:

Why in the world does a short, cheap beat-em up game need multiple levels of DRM?? Maybe it’s worth ignoring; it sounds fun, but not a game you just have to play again in 10 years.

• Ira says:

They just hate your freedom.

Crackers do not.

12. meep says:

so what about the deathspank sequel then?
    Why didn’t they pack them together?

13. Freud says:

I think this is the genre (next to FPS) where mechanics is so important that everything else is dwarfed. I don’t really care about story and while humour is always welcome it isn’t needed. Kill stuff and improve gear is where it is at.

14. Shagittarius says:

Sweet now I only have to complain until I get a physical disc version.

15. haircute says:

I don’t want to play a game called Deathspank. I don’t care how mad cap and off the flipping wall it is. STILL DEAD TO ME!

• HogDa says:

Too much of a fan of the Discworld franchise then and feel it’s too much disrespect of such a loving father-figure?

16. laikapants says:

Different Dev studio, I know, but I hope this nudges Costume Quest towards an eventual PC release.

Post related, eager to give spanking Death a whirl.

• apricotsoup says:

Well it’s doublefine.

I hope with the connections and any good sales from this we’ll see it come over.

It is however a halloween game so coming a little later may dissuade them even more, which would be a shame. I say we all buy more psychonauts and point at figures for them to bring it over :3

17. Spliter says:

Complaining solves problems after all!
    Now if only my uni didn’t block Steam I would be happily playing those games…

18. Travis says:

Regarding Ron Gilbert’s “excellent sense of humor”, I might be the minority but I thought Deathspank was a romping fun action game brought down by terrible, horribly unfunny dialogue and glacial voice-speaky-pace.

Particularly, the nun with the long name in the second game is a joke that isn’t funny once, let alone five times.

Didn’t stop me from bashing through both games with a quickness, though. The environments and collectyness are very fun.

19. omicron says:

One could say that the sequel to DeathSpank is a bit too shorts… or a bit pants, I suppose. Nevertheless, I would like to say Thongs to Schafer for seeing fit to release it on PC (and on such a tights schedule, too) and am thoroughly supportive of a briefs gestation time for the sequel to arrive on PC.

…what?

20. Shadrach says:

Yay! Shank was a must-buy for me anyway, and I was disappointed in DeathSpank not coming to pc but they are forgiven now. All thats left is Mr. Schafer to amend his ways and all will be fine in PC land.

21. Gnoupi says:

“This item is currently unavailable in your region”….

22. Delusibeta says:

Any sign of Thongs of Virtue being included? If not, I’m just going to wait for that before buying.

• Ignorant Texan says:

My guess is Thongs is still in its PSN/XBLA exclusive period. My plan is to wait for joint release, either DD or boxed.

23. track02 says:

Thanks Phil.

24. karry says:

Nobody needs Western shit from consoles to stain our beloved PC. Instead what we need is more Japanese-English translation teams.

25. Craymen Edge says:

Quite tempted by Deathspank, I’ve been holding out for a PC version since I seem to recall it was one of the originally announced platforms.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to connect to steam since the Left 4 Dead DLC came out.

26. Dan says:

All the blatant console hate and general PC elitist attitude is starting to put me off this site. I mean come on arent we all just likeminded gamers?

• TotalBiscuit says:

It’s to be expected on a PC-specific site but it’s also the reason I’ve mostly just stopped reading the comments now.

I’ve been gaming longer than many of those folks have been alive and I’ve come to realise one very important thing, if you have the cash, you play the best games on the most suitable platform at the time and don’t discriminate based on some ridiculous bias with no substance. Today I played Wii, PS3, PS3 Move and PC. I am a gaming whore, I am totally ok with that.

• Ignorant Texan says:

I agree with both of y’all. Besides, the consoles are computers, just specialized ones. During my lifetime I’ve either owned or had access to a TI 990(a mini computer, not to be confused with a TI 99), an Apple IIe, a Commodore 64, a Timex Sinclair(US name for a Spectrum), a CPT CPM machine, a Commodore 128, an Atari ST, an NES, an Amiga, an early 90s Mac, a Nintendo 64, a PS1, a first run iMac, a PS2, a XBOX, a Gameboy Advance, a Palm Pre, along with various Wintel machines. There have been things I’ve both loved and hated about all of them. The Amiga was probably my favorite(sort of in the way ammonites are my favorite extinct animals), though I do like my current Wintel box. I do hope there are a few more machines in my future. And I’m sure there will be things I love and hate about those, too.

• AndrewC says:

Don’t worry, Dan, all the nice people are with you.

• Centy says:

Bitterness from games that would work just as well on the PC as the consoles being denied a release due to business people saying so. Some PC exclusives can rightly only really exist on PC such as RTS games and some games are better played with a console or a PC with a pad.

I’m a PC purist personally the last couple of generations have really made a console sceptic out of me not like back in the good old 2600 and NES days when I didn’t have regular access to a PC last console I liked was the Dreamcast/N64 gen but I think my main bottom line is exclusivity is a fucking pain in the arse and should really be abolished if the developers are capable of making all the ports necessary to the main machines.

• JohnnyMaverik says:

@ Dan

No, kill yourself you dirty console sympathiser -_-

Disclaimer: Some of my best friends are console gamers.

• pilouuuu says:

Consoles are not computers because their releases have a shameful amount of hype and marketing to support their releases which are dumbed down games which must be played with an awful control system.

What really pisses me off is the fact that they’re getting all games nowadays because stupid developers think that piracy is not an issue with consoles. And thanks to their mainstream games we can get new masterpieces in the style of Planescape Torment, Vampire or Monkey Island because all we get is Call of Duty [insert number here].

So those are the reasons why all the console hate is right and well deserved.

• Ignorant Texan says:

Computer
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A computer is a programmable machine that receives input, stores and manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format.

• Tei says:

Consoles are a deal break for me, because you are controled on what you can and you can’t install. WTF!?!?!?!?!?!.

Also I can’t use the control scheme (the control pad), and the style of the games made for console is different to what I like. I don’t like quick time events, savepoints, or games with 8 keys combos. The console gaming world has not evolved from the arcade saloon, a lot of games are about “how good are you with the control pad”, and not “how good are you with the game”. It seems console games evolution stoped in 1986 or something like that.

I want to like consoles, and I want to not hate consoles. But Is impossible. And the people that use consoles and is opinions can’t make it easier.
      Also, the PC is retreating to a point the only decent PC site is Rock Paper Shotgun. RPS is the best because is very good, but also because is the only one.
      IMHO, console playing is low quality, IMHO, consoles are ruining this hobby. IMHO, people like the makers of Shank are full of shit (read about the levels of DRM that have it).

If this make me a elitist, I am a elitis. But I am not a elitist because I have raised the bar, I am elitist becase consoles have lowered the bar, and Is soo low now, that is invisible to me.

I miss some games, like Red Dead Redemption and God of War, but only in abstract. Wen these games come to the PC, like Halo or Gears of War. Are pure shit, compared to the things we have on the PC. Seriusly, Halo on the PC is a mediocre game, boring and repetitive. Maybe by console standards is the best thing ever, but by PC standards is a bargain bin title.

27. Cael says:

While I’m glad that they are bringing it to PC, it should have been released on the PC at the same time as the console release.

28. Navagon says:

Deathspank has looked interesting to me for quite some time now.. Shank looks like another attempt by EA to horribly murder another average game. They really should just get into the habit of not publishing the games in the first place.

29. akeripper says:

a bit to late on this one since i have them already on that other box, but nice to see that there are options… kinda

30. Dean says:

Deathspank is ruined as:

1) The humour is dependant on the over-the-top voice acting

2) All conversation appears in bubbles of text right in the middle of the screen that you can’t help but read it.

3) You can’t turn this off.

4) And the dialogue is so slow that you end up just skipping it and missing half the funny.

Damn shame really.

31. Daniel Calcei says:

Do you have 20 computers?

32. Starayo says:

Damn it! I just bought deathspank on my 360. I don’t want to buy it twice! >_>

• HonorBound says:

Your own fault for betraying the PC platform and supporting it’s opponents that want to starve it into the ground for the benefit of locked platforms.

If you continue to financially support those console platforms over the PC then you don’t get to go awww when the PC ends up getting jack shit eventually.

And giving in to the monopolistic crapbox/gaystation exclusive blackmail marketing tactics is just that and only benefits those exploiting the consumer.

Save the PC.

33. Geralt says:

It’s true about Tim Schafer. I was long waiting for a PC version of Brutal Legend but it never came :(

• DigitalSignalX says:

Agree – probably only two titles I wish would migrate from consoles, Brutal Legend and the Halo series.

• bildo says:

@ Digital
      Halo and Halo 2 are on PC :3

It’s been a while that Halo 3 was made, but it probably would have been announced by now if it were to make the jump. The only great Halo was the first imo, though.

34. adonf says:

Do death threats count as requests by fans or as complaining ?

35. rocketman71 says:

Good. About time. Now, what about Brutal Legend?

36. sneetch says:

Now delighted that I held out for Deathspank on PC. I heard the siren call from XBLA and PSN but stuck to my guns and complaining has paid off!

37. Dean says:

Honestly Brutal Legend really isn’t that good…

• Dominic White says:

I thought it was really good. Then again, I am somehow a magical seer, who knew it was going to be a Herzog Zwei-esque action-RTS (by reading previews, amazingly), rather than one of the people who bought it without knowing a damn thing then freaking out when it’s not the game they imagined.

• fuggles says:

I’d still play it as it looks like psychonauts mixed with grim fandango. Can I have scott pilgrim and costume quest now please?

38. Sébastien Richer says:

Hmmm… is it fair to still call Deathspank an indie game like it is on Steam ? I mean, with EA as publisher and Canadian federal financial contributions to back it up, I’m really not that happy to have it alongside VVVVV and such. Am I missing something?

39. Wulf says:

Oh, huh, hey, look at that! I was thinking of picking this up for the Playstation3 (since I truly cannot tolerate the 360), but now it looks like I can be true to my home platform after all. Hooray!!

40. Hmm says:

Steam only? WTF is this? No planned Impulse release?