New Footage: DC Universe Is Fast, Grey

By John Walker on October 6th, 2010 at 9:32 am.

In a world where everyone's a hero, is anyone a hero?

As newboy Quintin reported yesterday, with his plucky spirit and eager-to-impress enthusiasm (swearing), DC Universe has unheroically slipped into 2011 (the year in which robots take over the Earth). But that doesn’t mean there can’t be new trailers for it. Not that anyone was thinking it did. I mean, based on what logic would a couple of months of delay mean that it would stop being promoted? Who’s even writing this post? An idiot, that’s who. What? Carry on.

First up is a “beta combat” trailer, which shows the frantic shenanigans. It’s certainly very explodey. My only concern here is quite how remarkably bland the setting looks.

Then to slightly compound my only concern, there’s a “Metropolis flythrough”, which shows us an extremely grey/brown city, with the occasional sign. But then you can run upside down on things, and suddenly I’m okay with it.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Choca says:

Superpowers special effects aren’t really impressive.

2. Evoc says:

I never liked combat trailers where its just nonsense spell-effects flying all over the place with no clear goal except just looking chaotic and confusing.
    I’d much rather see from the players perspective with the UI and damage done and whatnot, would give me a lot better impression of the game then this.

3. BooleanBob says:

I kind of liked the second vid. That’s no statue!

4. Easydog says:

That looked messy more than anything.

5. teliach says:

2011 will be a crazy year for MMO, there will be so many launching near each other and high budget games, like Old republic, Rift, Guild Wars 2, and now this, is going to be a good year for MMO lovers.

RPS could use a bit of a improvement on their MMO coverage tough, for example FFXiV launched and is a perfect example of how to not make a game, would be cool to hear the Hive mind views on the game.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Probably not.

The fact that so many MMOs will enter the fray will probably mean that same time next year we’ll know of several failed launches or awkward releases/starts. That isn’t to say those games (which do not do that well) won’t be able to become better/more appreciated later on.

I’m rather sceptic on the whole MMO market right now. But then, I just spent a while reminiscing on my time spent with Warhammer Online. *sigh*

6. Matt says:

Just let me play as Gunfire and shoot bullets out of a spoon, that’s all I ask for

7. destroy.all.monsters says:

Wow – it’s a city! A city – of heroes!

Or City of Heroes part 3.

I don’t see much in these videos that make it look particularly DC like. And it seems dumbed down without say the charm and brilliance of the Timmverse (Diniverse if you prefer).

But then some people liked the character designs of the new Batman game too – so I guess there really isn’t a lot of room for someone that is more of a purist.

Once again – for the record – devs make this more DC centric. Don’t dumb it down. “Steel Town”? Really? Does Batman get “Battown”?

Have us interact with the signature heroes and their contacts. Make them voiced – preferably by folks like Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly. who have proven they can do it admirably. *Not just word balloons*. Make the cities real instead of a backdrop. No hordes of whatever without it making sense. Stop the “kill 10 rats” idiocy. Making it story and character centric will make this a worthwhile mmo. Anything else will make it a horrible failure.

Have us fight Starro. Tag along with the JLA – give us mentors instead of mere contacts. Make it real and engaging.

Goddam I sound like an ancient fanboy. Still, I don’t see why we have to have such lackluster games out of a terrible hamhanded moneygrab.

• StingingVelvet says:

Steelworks you mean? And that is actually the name from the comics.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

Perhaps I misread it. Still, the point is that it looks cheesy and nothing looks organic. The flavor of the original isn’t there. Generic and lame.

8. Bob Bobson says:

What? Drink more tea then compose sentences Mr. Walker. Or not, depending on how much you rate sense in sentences. Carry on.

9. Pabsy Wabsy pudding and pie says:

I like how you have condemned FFXIV with such a sense of finality. FFXIV, by all accounts, is a rather unique MMO that had a smooth launch, great graphics and is for all intents and purposes a fairly solid MMO is a good story. But yeah. Perfect example of how NOT to do an MMO. Thank the lord we have glistening examples such as Age of Conan and Aion. Those are how you do an MMO.

10. StingingVelvet says:

This video lost them a pre-order… not that I was going to keep it anyway though in all likelihood. I only pre-ordered because amazon had the collector’s edition for $60 at one point and I knew it was supposed to be $100.

Saving $40 on something you don’t want is more like throwing away $60 though. I was hoping more info would make the game look better or make it seem like the first MMO I could really get into, but nope… looks like crap.

11. AdamC says:

Where was the Daily Planet in the flythrough?

And the sky with pollution looked more Gotham or Hub City.

12. utharda says:

Looks just like champions.

Makes the original coh look good again.

Anarchy combat just gets old after a while.

Sigh.

13. Grey_Ghost says:

So I’m a bit out of the loop on all the Superheroes… Who and/or what was that Metal Superman in the second video?

• Thunderkor says:

That was Steel. Way back during the whole Death/Return of Superman, he invented an armored suit to use to fight crime and fill in the gap left by the death of Superman.

They also made a horrible movie about him, staring Shaquille O’neal.

The character’s hardly new, as the Death/Return of Superman happened around 92 or 93 if I remember correctly.

14. Urthman says:

Superheroes flying or swinging or jumping or dashing around in a city is the easy part. The Spider-Man games, Hulk Ultimate Destruction, Prototype — games have been doing that part well for years (I think maybe Giants was the first game to really deliver that feel of moving like a superhero).

It’s getting the comic-book style combat that’s hard. I don’t think anyone has topped Freedom Force in capturing that feel. That crap in the first trailer doesn’t even come close to second-rate superhero combat. If it’s going to be that abstract and stats-based, they’d be better off showing you a well-drawn static 2D picture of characters engaging in battle while you watch the health and mana numbers go up and down.

• mujadaddy says:

“I don’t think anyone has topped Freedom Force in capturing that feel. “

Indeed. I should reinstall that!

• Urthman says:

Make sure you give the Strangers mod a try if you haven’t already.

And if you have, you’ll want to know Dr. Mike put out a new mod a few months ago, Amazanauts, which is purportedly awesome.

15. Howl says:

Looks like EQ2. A bunch of figures randomly cycling motion captured animations in the vague vicinity of each other but having no visible effect on each other.

16. Vector says: