Hearts Of Iron II: Iron Cross Released

By Quintin Smith on October 7th, 2010 at 2:50 pm.

And not an XX chromosome in sight.

Despite the stat-tacular Hearts of Iron III coming out last year and an expansion for it coming out earlier this year, it seems Paradox are still releasing expansions for Hearts of Iron II. And why not? If I had my way all games would be ever-expanding, like some strange breed of digital fungus, occasionally growing so big that one would completely swallow another.

Hearts of Iron II’s third expansion, Iron Cross, was released today and seems to be a much more straight-laced affair than the nuclear-powered Doomsday and Armageddon expansions, simply providing more countries, provinces and technologies to the existing game. A Let’s Play video of HoI: Armageddon with a chirpy European talking over it can be found after the jump.

Ahh. Sometimes I wish I was more European. Don’t you?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Temple to Tei says:

So, the question is….

What game should eat what game and what would the product be?

• SpinalJack says:

mine craft should eat dwarf fortress and it’d look 8 times better and just as complex. Because 8 bits are the best number of bits.

• tomeoftom says:

Men of War should eat Red Faction: Guerilla, so that you can order tanks to fire on a support and bring a building’s roof down on your opponents.

• tomeoftom says:

…and Plain Sight should devour Portal. Yes. Oh, yes.

• BAReFOOt says:

Yeah yeah. And Civilization should eat Supreme Commander, with Minecraft as a side-dish while Dwarf Fortress is in its belly. While EvE eats System Shock 1 and 2, slurping up a tasty Fall Of Hyperion in the process, followed by a Neuromancer dessert. :P

2. SpinalJack says:

“Ahh. Sometimes I wish I was more European. Don’t you?”

Although Notch’s accent probably added to the quirky indie dev sales pitch

3. battles_atlas says:

I’m fully in love with the HoI II tech tree. Once the war really gets going and I’m micromanaging armies in three different continents at once I start to lose interest, but for those sweet, sweet years 1936-39, I’m in level-up heaven.

• Rich says:

Agreed. Played as USA twice. The first time WW2 didn’t happen so I gave up. The second time I was really enjoying it until I got involved. The lovely rousing music changes and instead of leaping over months, you drop down to hours.

…Oh and Vichy France managed to sink the entire US Atlantic Fleet and transport convoy, which was carrying well over half the US Army. A dark day for the Yanks that one.

4. Qjuad says:

This is awesome to see! Love HoI – damn thing has taken so many weekends in a blur of ahistorical wackiness (go go communist Japan!)

5. Om says:

Iron Cross is actually a fan made expansion that came about after Paradox released the source code to a select few groups. The fans make the product that they want to make and then Paradox sells it on. Which is kind of them

There’s two other such projects for HoI2 – ‘Arsenal of Democracy’ (already out) and ‘Darkest Hour’ (coming very soon). I’ll be interested to see if this is overkill for one game

6. Heliocentric says:

Some hearts of iron games are on sale on gamersgate if anyone is interested.

7. Himself says:

Man, that is a lot of Iron.

8. tomeoftom says:

Glad we’re moving of the Iron-Deficient Quinns phase now.

9. Dlarit says:

Quokka I need to know the fate of onionbog! You should not write another piece until the saga has been completed!

10. Jason Lefkowitz says:

Is Hearts of Iron III playable yet? Just curious…

11. sinister agent says:

I remain grateful to Hearts of Iron for teaching me the vital part that Norway played in World War 2. Namely, that if they had sat there quietly researching education and remaining furiously neutral at all costs, the world would have gone mad, with Italy occupying France, Germany landing at Portsmouth, and Australia invading Munich, while the Soviet Union did little but throw stones at the Finnish border patrol.

It does get a big mind-alteringly complicated late on, mind.

12. jRides says:

I only got into this series with AoD, and I couldn’t recommend HOI2 enough -in fact gamersgate are doing a 60% of HoI2 stuff this weekend; the frabjous standalone AoD is a paltry £5.99.

13. Andrew Dunn says:

Iron Cross isn’t actually by Paradox, but is an expansion done by a former modder. Paradox leased out the Europa engine games for commercialised fan remakes and the like, Arsenal of Democracy being one of them.

Iron Cross claims to be compatible with Arsenal of Democracy as well as Hearts of Iron 2, so there is that.

Comment on this story