And Then There’s The Minecraft Papercraft

By Alec Meer on October 8th, 2010 at 6:48 pm.

Aww, I want that so much

Look, we do try to write interesting, entertaining or at least semi-legible words about games, not just point and bellow ‘HERE IS A FAN-THING ABOUT A GAME WOT WE QUITE LIKE.’ Sometimes, though, it’s hard not to just go ‘awwww’ and ‘Oh God I want that so much.’

The constructor of the above delight, a man from a land down under is here. Sounds as though there’s a hundred thousand similar projects out there, but a fine starting point to do it yourself would be the ‘standardised papercraft’ downloadable schematics here. See two bigger pics below.

Here’s the early stages, with jumbso explains was done during the gaps in his work days:

“This is what I spend my time doing at work (When I’m not working hard, obviously). Papercraft, of minecraft. Two incredibly nerdy things but I think the results are pretty cool. I don’t understand how people have the patience to sit there and make pagodas or anything shaped differently than a box, though.”

And here’s the finished models:

__________________

« | »

, .

1. miked says:

Fill the pig with bacon and hit it like a pinata!

2. wcanyon says:

Epic. I’m laughing at work and the people around me are wondering if I’m an idiot.

3. Dominic White says:

The dent in the pigs head looks like it got whacked by a rambunctious miner and his busy fists.

4. amanda says:

What is point, please?

5. Simon says:

• The Tupper says:

Oh come now, Simon.

You’re better than this: just ignore those hypothetical future trolls. Don’t throw them future-fodder.

• BAReFOOt says:

Damn, I wanted to do an “In before ‘In before the usual suspects bitch and moan about the quantity of Minecraft coverage and/or make personal attacks on Notch.’.”

• The Tupper says:

Actually, I trounced both of you – I AM a future troll and I posted my reply to Simon’s post before he even wrote it.

6. clive dunn says:

I’ll be impressed when someone makes a 1 to 1 scale model of the Enterprise out of paper squares.

• BAReFOOt says:

I’m impressed, when he folds those cubes solely by using C-x M-c M-butterfly in Emacs, running on that Minecraft computer. :D

7. Lars Westergren says:

You know, if one of my friends have a Halloween masquerade party this year, I’m totally going to make a Creeper costume. Then I’m going to sneak up behind people and go “ssssSSSSS”!

• BAReFOOt says:

I think I’ll build a life-size creeper out of wood, and add a motion detector connected to a sound module and growing green eyes. Then I’ll try to sneak past it when going to the bathroom at night. ^^

• jonfitt says:

Gah! That would scare the crap out of any ‘crafters at the party, and may result in you being smacked upside the head!

8. Kirrus says:

Can you put John Walker’s post (I think an ‘oops’ is applicable there) up on the subscribers newsletter pretty please? :)

9. Pod says:

I like John’s article the best. Down with this article.

10. DJ Phantoon says:

It’s only a model.

11. Wulf says:

Haa, those are marvelous. Hooray for creative endeavour! I’m tempted to try my hand at that… Maybe even reproduce something from an everyday line of toys as a Minecraft papercraft toy. Blockimus Prime, maybe?

12. dragon_hunter21 says:

I think you guys are just doing this to piss off the guys who whine about all the Minecraft coverage.

Carry on.

Also, the creeper might just be the worst prank ever against a Minecraft player.

13. Aerozol says:

Yes! Instead of playing Minecraft these holidays, I’ll make the blocks and play it in ‘rl’. Will be awesome.

• capital L says:

Somebody with a 3d printer should get industrious and make some Minecraft Lego knockoffs. I swoon just to think of it…

14. MD says:

Hah, this is wonderful.

15. kenoxite says:

He probably works in a nuclear powerplant.

16. Spacewalk says:

Rock, Papercraft, Shotgun.

17. tigershuffle says:

go here for all your paper folding goodness
    the tanks are :) lol

18. jeremypeel says:

I know it makes sense that the models could be so accurately recreated, being made up of about 3 or 4 flat textures and all…

But it’s still kind of weird to see paper models looking EXACTLY as they do in the game, isn’t it?

19. tomeoftom says:

I love RPS like you wouldn’t believe, but pleasepleaseplease could you fine writerfolk stop making posts on novelty paraphernalia and the like? Reading about the original art, ie. games, is much more interesting than reading about the fan art that it has spawned.

• Dreamhacker says:

TomeofTom:

You may be of that opinion, but a quick survey has revealed that 92.33% of RPS’ readers love reading about games AND meta-stuff on games. In addition to this, do you realize that some games are completely built around the meta stuff, especially playerdriven games like Eve Online?

• tomeoftom says:

I know you’re half-joking here, but anyway: I hardly think papercraft models come anywhere near Eve’s breadth, political intrigue, and gargantuan conflicts on the intrigue-o-meter. AND! Eve was designed with those kinds of super-shenanigans in mind, so they become an integral component of the game itself. Conversely, Minecraft doesn’t change in the slightest if someone creates a papercraft model, or draws a comic, or writes a song, or (to get specific) makes a Left 4 Dead mod.

• Dominic White says:

Controversial new concept:

Not at all interested in an article? Don’t click it.

• tomeoftom says:

Dominic White: Snark not really necessary; I tried phrasing it politely. Not really sure why that would be disallowed.

• Deacon Blues says:

No one is saying that you aren’t entitled to your opinion, but Dominic’s solution would fix your problem, and prevent those of us who want to have actual discussions from having to read you asserting that RPS should make major changes to its content because you asked nicely.

• tomeoftom says:

“those of us who want to have actual discussions from having to read you asserting that RPS should make major changes to its content because you asked nicely.”

I will leave that there and allow the double-irony to sink in.

20. ColdSpiral says:

I for one welcome our cubic overlords.

21. Dreamhacker says:

I’ve already made a paper-Creeper and have it standing by my keyboard. Papercraft for Minecraft is a perfect fit! :D

22. mDFRSDF says: