Bam: Guild Wars 2 Player Reward Calculator

By Quintin Smith on October 8th, 2010 at 4:39 pm.

This is excellent. ArenaNet just launched what it’s calling the Guild Wars 2 Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator. Guild Wars players will remember the Hall of Monuments, where their characters amassed trophies and rewards spread across five different categories. Well, depending on how much you collected, the Reward Calculator tells you what those achievements will gift you with in Guild Wars 2, and it can be anything from animal companions, to pets, to special weapons and armour. Guild Wars veterans! Go and see what you’re entitled to.

Such generosity demands answers. The gift horse must be looked in the mouth, because who knows what could be in there? It could be a bomb. We had a quick word with ArenaNet game designer John Hargrove about how and why this scheme came about.

RPS: Why reward dedicated GW players? Surely they’re a captive audience?

John: For us, the question is, “Why not reward Guild Wars players in Guild Wars 2?” If you start taking your players for granted, you may as well pack it up and go home. Ever since we began working on Eye of the North, we knew we wanted to create a bridge between the original game and Guild Wars 2 and a means of rewarding our dedicated players. The rewards in the Hall of Monuments are an excellent way to honor the achievements of Guild Wars players and recognize their support, but to do so in a way that wouldn’t imbalance the game or alienate new Guild Wars 2 players. We think that our veteran players will be well pleased by the range of titles, items, armor, mini-pets, and animal companions that are potentially available to them – it’s our way of saying thanks for all the support.

RPS: Would you say that the Hall Of Monuments is basically a standard achievement system, but made into something physical in the game world?

John: It is very much a system that measures the achievements of our players, but between the awe- inspiring chamber full of monuments that tell your character’s story, and the extensive rewards we will be offering our players in Guild Wars 2, I would hope that our players wouldn’t think there was anything really standard about it.

RPS: Can players go back to Guild Wars and complete this stuff to open access in GW2? Or is it only for those who already played Guild Wars extensively?

John: Anybody who has Guild Wars: Eye of the North can begin building a legacy right now for their Guild Wars 2 characters to inherit. Even after Guild Wars 2 launches, players will still be able to go into Guild Wars and earn achievements in the Hall of Monuments that can translate into rewards for your GW2 characters. We’ve designed the rewards from the Hall of Monuments to cover a wide variety of player types, from the most casual to the most hardcore, so even people with only moderate experience in Guild Wars will be able to reap many benefits of the Hall of Monuments in GW2.

RPS: Will any of these items provide a significant gameplay advantage for GW2 players, or is it more tokenistic?

John: While the rewards are all exclusive to the Hall of Monuments, they will offer no long-term gameplay advantage over other items that players can acquire in-game through normal means. For example, the Ithas Longbow will be a unique, really cool looking vine-wrapped bow with strong low level stats because we want players to have access to it right away. We understand though that our players didn’t work their butts off for a reward that only lasts 5 to 10 levels, so we also plan to have a way for players to keep using these special rewards as they level up.

RPS: Does GW2 have a Hall Of Monuments equivalent? What can you tell us about that?

John: We definitely will have a means to track achievements and titles in Guild Wars 2, but we’re not quite yet ready to discuss the nitty gritty details of it yet.

RPS: Thanks for your time.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Simon Dufour says:

I should go check it out and play a bit a GW..

2. Vinraith says:

Hmm, that’s more stuff than I would have expected for my fairly mediocre HoM.

3. Antsy says:

There’s just not enough time! I need that machine that makes lots of Michael Keaton’s to do all your stuff. Or something.

4. bleeters says:

Nrrgh. Must not purchase Guild Wars 1 in response to this.

5. Temple to Tei says:

Developer announcement:
    ‘Hey, you know how you wouldn’t join our well established MMO because you were worried about being so far behind veterans? Well, now you can join our brand new MMO and *STILL* be behind veterans’
    Brilliant!

GW always lacked something for me. Maybe because I came through Nightfall expansion.
    Beat up lots of insects until lvl 20
    Get to lvl 20, go to new area to fight the new monsters.
    Which are insects.

Not fond of hotkey cooldown skills either.

I think I need to start a forum thread on MMO recommendations -with reasons, as the WOW thread shows everyone has such differing views on what is good.

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah I didn’t enjoy Nightfall very much. It may have been improved over the first technically. But the story was meh and all you did, as you say, is fight bloody insects!

• Nick says:

Uh, I don’t think the items will make anyone lag behind.

• Wulf says:

Firstly, Nick’s right. The items awarded by this sort of thing are usually cosmetic. We’re talking party items, new armour skins, minipets, you know, things of that particular species of kidney. You can reward a player without it screwing up the game’s balance, ArenaNet knows how to do this. ArenaNet != Blizzard, since they don’t know how to do this. Yes, I went there, but it was deserved.

In fact, ArenaNet knew how to do this all through Guild Wars 1. The attitude was this: You could complete the content without a single hour of grinding. Optionally, you could get extra armour skins (which I thought looked absolutely ridonkulous, absurd, and wouldn’t have been seen dead in), party items, minipets, potions which turn you into monsters in towns for a laugh temporarily, and stuff like that. So in other words, not grinding in Guild Wars 1 didn’t handicap you. Grinding in Guild Wars 1 didn’t even put you one step ahead of anyone else. And the great thing? The best thing? If you were a good player, you could spend a few weeks playing, and then use that character to absolutely shame someone who’d spent the past few months grinding.

Because that’s how it worked.

And even if you wanted an elite skill for your build, you didn’t even have to grind for those, either. Most elite skill grabs were taking 10-15 minutes to run to a boss critter (letting your heroes take care of most of the rabble) so you could use an elite capture skill on it, then smack it down. And there was your elite skill. You didn’t have to grind to get elite skills fast, you just had to be good at playing the game, and/or good at avoiding mob patrols.

So, ask yourself… why would they go from that ethic in Guild Wars 2 when they promised us they wouldn’t? So what you’ll get will just be a bunch of silly, cosmetic items, some of which you won’t even want (I still think the elite armour in Guild Wars looked absurd). So don’t worry!

• Nick says:

Some of the elite armour looked good, but yeah there is a lot of ugly and stupid looking stuff too.

6. DrGonzo says:

So, I bought all the Guild Wars apart from the last add on. So that means I get nothing for my loyalty? Feel a bit miffed to be honest.

• Wulf says:

That’s a shame, though. I actually felt that Eye of the North was the best part.

Oh how I adored Pyre, it was pretty funny constantly having him act completely rude to the party, since he knew they couldn’t do much about it. Taking advantage and being an arse just for humour value. I did like how he seemed to soften up around Gwen though, I still insist that there was something going on there.

Overall though, I felt that it had the most interesting storyline of all the content.

• seras says:

this isn’t to reward “loyalty” or the simple fact that you own the original game, it’s to reward “accomplishments” in those games.

have you accomplished anything?

how many titles have you maxed out?
      how many elite armor sets do you have?

because that’s what this program cares about.

• DrGonzo says:

I earned a few titles and whatnot. Does that mean I will still get the unlocks then?

It’s not as though this is annoying enough to put me off buying anything though.

• Nick says:

So buy it and all your accomplishments will be recorded. Its not very expensive.

7. Nick says:

Oooooh! Awesome.

• Nick says:

looks like its account wide, rather than individual character based.

• Riotpoll says:

Yeah, they changed the Hall of Monuments to be account wide a while back I think.

• Nick says:

Ah, been a while since I set foot in any of mine!

Good change imo.

8. apricotsoup says:

And firing up GW again :E

So that war in kryta stuff, can we still get access to that and somehow grab the weapon from the end of that or was it a limited time event thingy only?

• seras says:

i “think” the war of kryta quests are still available but will be checking tonight.

there was also a passing mention in one of the recent news bits that there would be equivalent events in cantha and elona…so maybe we’ll have the chance for equivalent weapons.

it’ll be nice just to know what happens on the other continents between eotn and gw2

• Redeye says:

The War in Kryta event is still available, however it only shows up (the bad guys, etc) if you are currently active in it, but that is not to say you can’t become active in it and have it show up. I still need to finish the last couple of quests and get my reward.

• Nick says:

I can’t do the final battle solo =(

9. Tei says:

I don’t even know what is this thing, but sounds like the right idea. ArenaNet seems to be the Valve of the MMO world. Hope this also translate in a game that is fun.

10. Jimbo says:

I haven’t played your game since ’05. Can I still have a reward?

11. seras says:

hehe excellent news! been waiting for this kind of info for months.

finally have some motivation and direction to go back to GW and finish up some stuff, already planning with ex-guildies to meet up this weekend, maybe finish DoA. =)

12. Redeye says:

oh oh, I have 16 points and could easily get 23! TWENTY THREE! What’s that? Not even half way yet? Ugh. But still, I get a raccoon and a black moa, what more could you want?

13. tekDragon says:

Ooo… I’m at 36/50 right now and I think I might see what I can do about getting to 40. I kinda wanted to see what I could do about getting the opressor weapons anyway.

14. Azradesh says:

GUILD WARS IS AWESOME AND WOW SUCKS!!!!111!!!!ONE!!!

15. Nethlem says:

That actually sounds quite nice… even bought GW a few weeks ago with all the expansions. Tried getting into it but after getting confused by the ammount of expansions i didn’t really know where to start.

Once in the game it too quickly boiled down to “run 20 minutes through the world get 1 quest done” and i’m way too bored of that kind of gameplay :/

Maybe i did something wrong, started with the wrong expansion? Strayed too far from the path?
    Could somebody please suggest to me which expansion is the best one to start with that doesn’t bore you to death with 08/15 standard MMO gameplay from the very beginning?

• Nick says:

Start with Nightfall.

• Temple to Tei says:

I and the good Dr Gonzo would have to say a no to Nightfall. Initally I liked, but then quickly burnt out on the lack of variety.

I think some people just do not like the GuildWars gameplay.

Ok, that does it. If I can work out how I am going to try a forum thread on mmo recommends -unless there already is one.

• Nick says:

I wouldn’t reccomend any MMOs really, having played them for about 15 years.

• malkav11 says:

Nightfall may or may not be the best of the campaigns – I can’t really compare as I’ve never finished any of them or even started Factions/Eye of the North. But it’s the best way to learn the game, and while I think you can eventually unlock some heroes in the other two starter releases, Nightfall builds them in almost immediately. Why is that important? Because the henchmen that were the AI companion solution in the first two Guild Wars games (and still available in Nightfall for rounding you out to 8 characters if need be) are dreadful. They’re low level, completely AI controlled, not very smart at all, and single class. Heroes get access to all the skills you’ve unlocked accountwide, can dual class, can be customized in equipment and skills, and when they advance in levels, that advance is saved, unlike henchmen. Plus you can directly control them to an extent (iirc you have full access to them but obviously actually controlling four characters at once in all things would be a bit tough to manage).

• Vinraith says:

@malkav11

Actually no, heroes were added with Nightfall, and that alone makes Nightfall the best campaign to start with. The other campaigns can be played with heroes unlocked in Nightfall, in fact you can play all the campaigns concurrently, switching between them as you please, once you’re past the tutorial content. This, in turn, resolves the criticisms of Nightfall’s lack of variety (which are legitimate, though it gets much better around midway and ultimately becomes the best campaign of the lot). Nightfall also has the most balanced early game progression. Not too fast, like Factions, and not too slow, like Prophecies. All in all it’s definitely the place to start.

• LevingLasVegas says:

@ Vinraith: Actually, there are Heroes you can unlock in the earlier two campaigns. However, you can only USE them if you have Nightfall. Olias is found in Prophecies, and Zenmai is found in Factions.

• malkav11 says:

The part that makes me cry is that you can’t start the Ritualist or Assassin in Nightfall, only Factions. And while I haven’t played them, they look from afar like the coolest classes in the game. (Please don’t spoil my illusions, kthx.)

• Nick says:

They are quite cool. I like my assassin a lot.

• Araxiel says:

Well, I think Nightefall is the worst of all campaigns. It ruined the construction of groups (most people seem to run around with 7 NPCs), it had horrible artwork (that’s my opinion, all this Africa/Middle-East scenery seemed quite ridiculous and lame) and it was incredibly boring and I didn’t cared about one signle character in the entire story. And the two classes (Paragon and Dervish) look and act retarded (while their abilites are actualy neat).
      Then again, you don’t have to wait hours until you can start the mission because you’re searching for healers (“Ok, somebody take Dunkoro and go”) and it helped a lot in finishing the other campaigns with characters that hadn’t finished them yet, due the Heroes. So in the end, I grateful yet hate Nightfall. Thanks god Eye of the North went back to Tyria, my prefered continent with my prefered characters.
      Then again, I startet my game the first day GW was released, the time when there was no “Prophecies” and only “Guild Wars”.
      You don’t have to grind at all in Guild Wars, you can play all four campaigns without doing any sidequest, rushing through without killing any unecessary enemies. But even the sometimes quite annoying side-quests are part of the game. And since you get faction points for them (Kurzick/Luxon/Sunspear/Lightbringer/Asura/Norn/Vanguard/Dwarfen) and those titles actualy affect gameplay, every side-quests reward feels like one step closer to your statue in the Hall of Monuments and makes you stronger.
      So in the end, I’ve got the feeling (after having played Guild Wars for about 5 years [haven’t played it since spring 2010]) it is a lot like Darksiders:

All fancy equipment and whatnote does not help, you need the skill and the tactics. You can grind, if you want to, to look more awesome and increase your chances. But in the end, it’s the skill that matters.

• malkav11 says:

The campaign is a matter of taste. The heroes are essential, because my experience was that Guild Wars had one of the most terrible playerbases of any multiplayer game I’ve tried. People who couldn’t play the game to save their life, people randomly dropping group mid-mission or going afk and never coming back, people of every stripe of stupidity, incompetence and unpleasantness. People used to (and may still) charge money to group with you. Just dreadful.

The introduction of heroes made it -much- more possible to play alone or with a small number of friends, thus neatly sidestepping all that.

PS: Obviously there have been some decent people that played also, like you lot. But -finding- them…

• Araxiel says:

Well being German myself I played in the German districts and only changed sometimes to the American ones (the number of people playing at 4 a.m. is fairly low…or rather zero).
      There is a great amount of retards, idiots and things that can not be human beings according to their low intelligence and people dropping out of the mission mid-game and going afk and etc. etc., like you already said.
      But at the same time, there is a great amount of people that you can play the mission with, that do a great job, that do the mission fast and neat, people you can have fun with, even if you fail the first attempt, people that just dance around in underpants in the outposts (the number has incredibly decreased since the releas of Nightfall). This is not what I call the worst playerbase ever, that’s what I call a normal playerbase. And of course, you need a bunch of good people in your Guild, people that you can count on, that you can definitly have fun with.

You only seem to have bad memories, it seems like in the entire time you played the game there was not one single group you could play with. If this is the case during your playtime, then I understand you. But it was not mine. And of course, I still want to literaly bang my head against the wall and you can often see me yelling and insulting my PC-Screen because some total nutbags have no idea what the word “strategy” in PVP means. But when I do win 10 games in a round in the random arena, I just want to cuddle my group because we did so great.

And about “People used to (and may still) charge money to group with you”. It’s a service. They offer to rush you trough the mission. I personaly never paid money for a rush a single time. But they don’t force you. And it’s not like they don’t tell you. If you think it’s worth it, then you pay. If not, then you don’t pay. That’s how the economy works. Tough I hate that the Balthazar keys suffered under a great deflation. They were my main source of income. Tough I could accumulate 600 platin before they dropped in price.

• Wraggles says:

” But when I do win 10 games in a round in the random arena, I just want to cuddle my group because we did so great.”

This…..is exactly how I feel when my group makes 10, and then even better, I love it when they’d stay for the transition to TA. Nothing is better than forming a finely honed squad out of a PuG.

• Enderr Grrrr says:

Start with GW Prophecies, then Factions, Nightfall and EoTN. Pick one character you like and do all the main quests&missions.
      Getting 30/50 points in HoM is not that hard and require a medium player (i have 50/50 but 1. I love the game and 2. I play daily 2 3 hours). As I saw, the rewards are for nostalgic players and have no advantage vs the new players of GW2.
      Good luck to all with HoM.

16. pupsikaso says:

My account was suspended, and emailing support to find out why or how to unlock it was futile because they demand I give them the original CD key that I used back in 2005. A CD key that was on the CD case that I’ve obviously lost since.

Guess no rewards for me =/

• Wraggles says:

Yeah some of thier account crap is dodgy, like when they started requiring you to use character names to enter the game. While I’m fine with it as a security measure, the fact they’d instituted it without even an email saying, “hey guys here’s this security change”, made it pretty difficult to come back to the game after being away for 6 months. I spent like a week trying to figure out one of my character names (because I choose stupid flowery RP names), regardless I eventually managed to get it before I actually got a decent response from Support.

17. tstapp1026 says:

Too late… I’m doing it this afternoon.

18. Ingenu says:

7/50 and I don’t want to know how many hours people played to get more, as I have 600 hours already.
    (But mostly Phrophecies though.)

• Ingenu says:

Looks like I didn’t register a few things, now at 10/50… can prolly get half a dozen points w/o too much trouble… one more reason to play ! ;)

19. Miranda says:

My wallet falls victim to RTS reporting again. I searched everywhere for the answer to “Can players go back to Guild Wars and complete this stuff to open access in GW2?” Of course the answer was here. Silly me.

20. Crescend says:

Oh awesome 37/50 :) All those times spent filling my HoM are paying off.. What’s that, 3 points for pvp statue? I got to get working.. xD

21. Sarkhan Lol says:

Awesome, let’s see what I’ve got from all my cool unlocks!

Oh, I’ve… had my account permablocked while I wasn’t playing and have got absolutely nothing. Top stuff, well done, hackgate.

22. malkav11 says:

FYI, if you don’t have Eye of the North and want to do some Monumentizing, it just hit Steam for about $14 (on sale).

23. Athariel says:

Trick is to not do quests at all, just do the missions. Quests are boring, require you to fight through hordes of mobs just to get there and give crap rewards.

24. Araxiel says:

Need…more…tittles….need…more…statues…

25. Wildcard says:

Didn’t see a mention of this further up but have a look at the light armour version of the Heritage Masque/Bandana/Helm (number 6 – click it for a better view). If that’s not a Mesmer’s mask I’ll eat my (heritage) hat!

26. Guest GW player says:

Eye of the North is only $11.40 at amazon.com, with free (that is to say FREE) shipping. It’s worth it, it’s cheap. Why wouldn’t you buy it?

27. Verix says:

@Wraggles

You make it sound like they have poor customer support. I’ve actually had a pretty damn good experience with them. lol It was just over a month ago that I got my account info back after having lost it all for over three and a half years. I didn’t have the login name or password to my ncsoft master account or even knew what email I used for it. All I had was the keycodes for the games and the email I use to log in to GW. So that’s all I gave them. Got my account info back, sent to a new email I mentioned to support, and it was all done in just around a day.

So by personal experience and from opinions I’ve heard from others, I’d say their customer support is pretty damn good. As long as you are responsible for basic info on your account that is, then there’s really no problems at all.