Brunked: Brink Impressions

By Quintin Smith on October 8th, 2010 at 2:39 pm.

Alternative header: Brimpressions.

My first ever published review was of Project Gotham Racing, and ended with this thought: “Because really, what’s the point of winning if you don’t look cool doing it?”

Which is a concept that I feel has hobbled FPSes for a while now. An FPS athlete isn’t some cowboy gunslinger, thrashing superior numbers with grace and cunning. He’s a robot. A horrible, jinking turret, popping the heads of other players like a rushed bartender opens bottles. Having played about an hour of Brink at the Eurogamer Expo last weekend, I can safely say that Brink bucks this trend. Winning actually feels cool. And here’s why.

Some of it’s down to the SMART system, which in Splash Damage language means “Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain” and in English means “A sprint button that also causes your character to go hurtling up and over things automatically”. You’ll jump small gaps, vault fences, and go mantling up onto high ledges. Most importantly, tapping crouch while sprinting like this drops your character into a long slide, which is actually both evasive and aggressive. You can shoot during it (with much-reduced accuracy), and sliding into another player knocks them over.

There’s been some naysaying from people who can’t have touched SMART about how it’ll just “play the game for you”, but that’s absolutely not true. It’s a plausible, satisfying upgrade for the sprint button we all already use. But that’s not why I like it.

I like it because what it’s doing is quietly opening up the FPS. The reason great FPS players often resemble disturbing, living aimbots is because aiming and shooting is, for the most part, all you can do within the game. Without forcing players to use a single extra button, SMART makes tactical retreats a more plausible option, the slide move gives a boost to daring, aggressive attacks, and the whole thing makes for level design that allows unexpected angles of attack. In short, you can get cunning. Plus it looks cool. That too.

Now take this idea of opening up a multiplayer shooter, and apply it not just to sprinting, but the game’s entire structure. Brink is really quite a raw FPS, with compacted levels, no vehicles and no weapons besides guns and grenades (I don’t think), and yet I spent a surprising amount of time neither shooting, getting shot, or making my way to a place where I would shoot or get shot. Let me explain.

As a medic, I stood at the entrance to a killzone, literally throwing health-boosting syringes to soldiers as they ran past. When one of my boys went down, I went sprinting in after them, slid all the way over to him and got him back on his feet. Very cool.

As an engineer on a team tasked with escorting a security bot, I found that despite the level seeming quite claustrophobic, it was actually big enough that I could circle all the way round to a walkway above where three members of the enemy team were guarding the broken down bot, oblivious to my presence. I gunned them down, vaulted the railing along the walkway, then promptly blew myself up trying to disarm a mine in front of the bot. Epic win! Epic fail. Cool.

Yet neither of these situations saw me being faster than somebody else. In the first case, I did well by holding back, then rushing forward. In the second case, I did well by circling round. And these situations weren’t rarities. There are even command posts buried in far corners of the map that’ll give your entire team a boost to health or damage if you capture them.

Another way of looking at this is that in most multiplayer shooters (Battlefield, say, or Modern Warfare) it’s easy to get the sense that if you’re not knee-deep in the heart of the action, killing and dying and supporting your team, you’re a dead weight. With Brink, you can hang back, buff your team, build defenses, and you feel cool. Or you can sidestep the fight, and create shortcuts by building staircases or hacking doors. Then you definitely feel cool. Or you can slink around behind enemy lines. That’s super-cool. Or you can drop into knee-deep action and just gun people down. Your call. But whatever you do, wherever you are, you can make a difference, and the game’s Objective Wheel that’ll tell you how is always just a click away.

On a more mundane note, holy shit is Brink ever polished. You only get half a sense of how satisfying it is to move and shoot in the videos Splash Damage has released, and every item of clothing, facial feature and weapon mod in the character customisation is something you’d be proud to wear.

Now, this next bit wasn’t a detail I noticed it while playing (instead being informed of it afterwards by senior game designer Ed Stern), but when your characters shout their automated barks (“I need a medic”, “I’m going to set the charges”) over the radio, the bark is accompanied by the sounds occuring in the area directly around them. You know, as if that character were really speaking into a radio. I fear the brain of whichever developer came up with this stuff. See also: your gun is that much louder when you’re aiming down iron sights, because it’s that much closer to your ears. I bet that designer has a special, much more efficient way of tying his shoelaces.

One trick of Brink’s that wasn’t in the build I played is different body types. Your body type is something you choose that’s distinct from your class, and allows you to either weigh in either as Heavy, Normal, or Jerk. Sorry, I mean Agile.

Heavies get more health and can choose from a whole new category of heavy weapons, but they works with a reduced Smart system. If you hop a wall, a heavy can’t follow you. It’s the Agile type that interests me, however. You get much reduced health, but you can run faster and Smart up to whole segments of the map that nobody else can reach. I’m eagerly anticipating panicked Agile duels at the very top of the map and having a slightly better slide than everybody else. I love sliding. If I was a dinosaur, I expect I’d be a slideosaurus.

In summary: Brink always looked great. Now it turns out it plays great too. Since I literally can’t wait until it arrives early next year, I’m off to Bromley to wait until everybody at Splash Damage has gone home for the weekend, then I’ll break a window and play the latest build until the police come to tell me off, or whatever it is they do. Bye!

, , , .

1. Berm says:

I wonder if we’ll get full server files and modtools or if Splash will follow the way of DICE and Treyarch and lock down most features.

• Cael says:

Given their history with ET and Quake Wars I’m pretty confident they will allow mods and such.

• Garg says:

Oh dear god.

• HeroJez says:

I feel reborn.

What have I been doing with my life? NOT learning to tie shoes properly, that’s what.. and I’m all the worse for it… I’ve been playing football, games, writing and reading… and where has it got me? The cheapside of Lacetown, that’s where. God I’m a failure.

• Lack_26 says:

I’m actually going to say thanks for that, it’s much quicker. Time is of the essence when you’re doing sport and your shoelace comes undone.

• killmachine says:

nuff said. :)

• Pani says:

Must be the same guy that invented this:

• DrGonzo says:

That’s how I’ve been tying my shoelaces all my life because I couldn’t figure out how to do it the ‘proper’ way. And people used to tease me at school saying I was stupid, turns out it was the better way all along!

• Vague-rant says:

I haven’t tied my shoelaces in probably roughly a year, I’ve just been sliding on shoes with laces done a tiny bit loosely. I wonder if I still know how.

• BAReFOOt says:

Well, I learned how to tie shoelaces with one hand. Not hard at all. That way I could tie both shoes at the same time… if there would not be that slight *cough* buffer *cough* preventing it…

As for Splash Damage: They are my favorite multiplayer FPS team since Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. They simply know how to make those games awesome.
      Brink sounds like a good candidate for the next big game I’ll be playing.

• Nick says:

I… I can’t do it like that.

I’m a failure.

• neofit says:

“BAReFOOt says:

Well, I learned how to tie shoelaces with one hand.”

No you haven’t.

2. konrad_ha says:

I was on the brink of forgetting this game, but now I am interested.

• Torgen says:

Pun aside, I agree. It had sunk into that morass of similar-sounding games that were all announced at the same time. Shame about the “early next year” part though.

• Pani says:

I’ll probably make a splash on this when it comes out.

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

I think it’s going to damage my wallet.

• Skusey says:

I will have a stern face until this is released.

• Spliter says:

I think it would be a really smart to start saving money for it from now on.

• Wipa says:

I’m going to throw a grenade at my feet when this comes out.

3. Larington says:

The scant time I spent player this at the EG expo definately left me wanting more, how much more I don’t know, but I’m sure it’ll be fun finding out (Especially when I get to do it with a mouse and keyboard).

AndrewC says:

A multiplayer FPS that you can be rubbish at FPSs in? I want it.

5. Brendan says:

Great write up! I was already extremely interested in Brink, but these details seal the deal.

Ooo, $50 on Steam. Pre-ordered.

6. Lewie Procter says:

“There’s been some naysaying from people who can’t have touched SMART about how it’ll just “play the game for you”,”

Has there? I’ve only actually heard this from the mouths of the devs. IE “Some people thing it’ll just play the game for you, but they are wrong”.

Never actually heard anyone say it..

RPS: Fair & Balanced

• Quintin Smith says:

There has been some grumbling! I saw some grumbling. Somewhere.

• DrGonzo says:

Ooh it does look like it may play the game for you.

There you go, I said it.

• Unaco says:

I’ll back up Quinns on this one… I definitely saw some grumbling about SMART… Initially, when it was first announced, and then even some after the 1st gameplay video of the system in action (possibly in comments threads here at RPS, as well as a few other sites I read articles or watched videos about the game on). When I first heard of it, I didn’t think too much about it (as I didn’t really think too much about the game)… But after the first video, rather than being a neutral or a negative, it became an absolute positive, and was (partly*) responsible for getting me interested in and anticipating this… and it’s very rare that I have anticipated an FPS, let alone an online MMO-ish-FPS, in the last decade.

* Most of the features have dragged me in though… the objective stuff, the customisation, the seamless solo – online play, the story, all the little touches and even the art style.

• tribal whore says:

Was probably quake trick jumping players saying that.

After all, since UT/Quake were replaced by the currently popular shooters there hasn’t been any kind of advanced/fun movement beyond regular walking/running & feeble jumping.

But I’ve always felt the fact that trick jumping was an unintentional exploit of the game that not everyone could perform wasn’t fair. At least now everyone has access to the same extra movements. Hopefully the devs were smart enough to add a few extra ways of using these abilities that aren’t exactly easy or obvious.

But boy do I wish a lot of other games had this SMART feature. I’ve been playing Modern Warfare 2 single player and Left 4 Dead lately and it’s just so cumbersome to hop over the simplest of obstacles in those games. It’s really frustrating in L4D to see a zombie with one arm, one leg and no brain pan climbing a 20 foot fence while you can’t even climb onto the roof of a car to save your life.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

@tribal whore: If you think so, you should have a look at Team Fortress 2. At least two classes (Soldier & Demoman, also the Scout to some extend) are all about using creative ways of moving around the battlefield which is absolutely intended and part of the gaming mechanism.

7. Dominic White says:

Man, all this talk of disturbing, living aimbots, and no Quake 3 competitive footage?

That pretty much sums up everything I dislike about the genre. It’s so far divorced from anything that looks like a gunfight that it just kinda looks like a bunch of pseudo-gothic mouse cursors clicking each other to death.

Schaulustiger says:

That pretty much sums up everything I actually like about the genre: The fluidity, the fast-paced fights, the beauty of movement. In Quake 3, I feel like performing a ballet of death, even when getting soaped (and with that I mean getting totally, totally steamrolled, like -2:90.)

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I like my FPS fast.

• Tarqon says:

Interesting. In a way Quake is everything I do like about videogames. Pure abstracted mechanics as a conduit between you and another player.

And with regard to Brink’s movement mechanics; Quake and Tribes are really THE textbook examples of deep, skill-based movement.

• Dominic White says:

It’s fast to the point where it no longer resembles anything even close to the thematic layout of the game, though.

A ‘ballet of death’ makes me think ‘john woo movie’, not a couple of half-animated characters strafe-jumping at a hundred miles an hour.

• Miko says:

A ‘ballet of death’ makes me think ‘a couple of half-animated characters strafe-jumping at a hundred miles an hour’, not ‘john woo movie’. The John Woo film is more like a spirited polka.

Watching that video really made me want to play an old-school shooter again. Where’s my UT2k4 box?

• Tei says:

I think is a thing about styles and preferences.

As a gamer I have grown with games like Pitfall, Pacman, Tetris, Quake, Wolfestein, Operation Flashpoint and all the Battlefield games. I find the way Quake workds natural, a second skin. And the way the console FPS games work innatural. But since I have played a lot of Flashpoint, Battlefield and Planetside, I can move around at low speed tactically. It make sense of this slowness is mixed with tactical or strategical options. But if the game is slow AND dumb, then I just don’t like it. A game that force everyone to be slow, and force everyone into a lack of strategic options… is so mindumbing dumb that all my brain cells cry in terror. My brain would explode playing something like MW2 too long.
      That the levels of Brink are small and the movement of more of the consoley type is not good news. That theres this side-playing is good news. Overall, I just hope the damn game let me change the FOV value.

• BAReFOOt says:

And that’s why I love Quake. I’ve been playing CPMA and Defrag, and there’s simply nothing in the world that can give me such an adrenaline… well, if “rush” was like “orgasm”, then this is like a female orgasm, with lots of little male ones at the same time.
      And for the bugs of the engine now being crucial features (circle jumping, rocket jumping, plasma-running, bunny-hopping), this deserves a permanent place in in the game Olymp anyway.

These both videos are probably the best ever, to show Q3A awesomeness:
      Catutthaj Jhana – EPIC Trickjumping
      CeTuS – the Movie, Part 2

• bastronaut says:

I remember when I could play Quake3 without embarrassing myself. Amongst the most fun times I’ve ever had playing computer games. Trick jumping is like the essence of what games are about: not real life. Something you could never, ever do in real life. Crazy crazy wild impossible fun stuff.

Now, if Notch could just add trick-jumping to Minecraft, Nirvana would be reached. [cloak]

• mda says:

+1 to loving quake and its mechanics

my fave q3 defrag vid – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T6IAHWMd2I

8. Scroll says:

I’m pretty excited about this myself, its doing so many great things at once with game design I just hope it develops a great player base to take advantage of it.

9. Snall says:

I hope this is good- not buying new MoH (Even though beta was fun) unless PLAYERS can mod and have servers. No mods = f* you from devs.

10. utharda says:

Why, why did I watch that boom headshot video.

Still, there is an fps I’m interesting in trying.

11. Lewie Procter says:

Oh, also. Interesting thing about the different sized dudes, they also get a bigger backpack for carrying their stuff in. Represented by a bigger “stuff” meter. If you’re a medic, you can heal people more before you have to wait for your “stuff” to recharge. Same for the other classes equivalent “stuff”. The jerk also gets less.

MonkeyMonster says:

Sold not because it’s been looking good for quite a while but purely for the line…. “If I was a dinosaur, I expect I’d be a slideosaurus.”
    Priceless :D

13. 1nightStand says:

That agile is a SPY!

14. nuh uh no way says:

i was not expecting such nice things to be said! i want to remain skeptical about this game but it’s getting harder.

15. Tei says:

Please, let me change the fov.

I am just asking this tiny thing.

Schaulustiger says:

Exactly my thoughts.

• BAReFOOt says:

Uuum wait… I can’t remember the last FPS that didn’t have a drop-down console. And those all allow you to set FOV, and bind buttons, etc.

• DarkNoghri says:

@Barefoot

See Borderlands, COD:MW2, etc.

• mda says:

Me too.

Also afaik even the BFBC2 devs only added custom FOV cos of fans like myself raging about it beforehand.

Let’s go make posts about it on brink forums!! ^_^

16. apricotsoup says:

The first ET is my fav competetive FPS out there. The missions just flowed so well across the maps and the gunplay was really quite fun with the class mix.

Brink has me a little too excited I feel, very likely to be picking up some kind of powerful laptop to be playing this across different locations and to let me pretend to be social around flatmates.

17. sneetch says:

Want this a lot, it’s just sounding better with each article I read on it.

18. RagingLion says:

This is looking on track to be something I will actually buy. It feels like it could be the game that meets the needs that TF2 currently fills for me.

19. pimorte says:

Human aimbot, you say?

20. chokoladenudlen says:

The “gun is that much louder when you’re aiming down iron sights” just gave me a tiny FPSgasm.
    I hope they include a proper ol’ double-barrel boomstick, so you can slide right up to people and send them halfway into orbit like Action Quake II (minus the sliding in that one, of course).

21. James says:

Does this game have any persistent elements? Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the article or comments.

• Quintin Smith says:

It has a full xp and level up system, yeah. Heavy and Agile body types are both unlocks, as well as weapons, perks and customisation options.

22. James says:

Burn! Fox News is a pretty harsh reference, though.

23. Serenegoose says:

So, this game had completely passed me by before, but this has actually got me really interested in playing! So yay for that!

24. Dervish says:

Maybe next time you can praise Brink without insulting other games and players for not being up to your standards of “cool.” Also try mentioning all the FPSs that already deviate from the Quake archetype.

25. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

Great to hear it’s playing well.. I’ve been pretty keen for this.

Sounding like a return to form for splash damage. Cannot wait.

26. Araxiel says:

I played it at the GamesCom, it really is how Quintin describes it. It just feels awesome running and smarting around and being smart and all…

I remember how I once run past the frontline, bullets where flying around my ears left and right. I jumped on a crate, some other crates and was suddenly in somekind of slum-appartement. From there I followed a catwalk and into some sort of contianer with fissures in it. I was behind the enemie lines, I was seeing the backs of at least 6 defenders. I gunned about 10 enemies down until they start to shot at the container I was in. Well, I was able to kill one or two more enemies when all of them were reloading their guns at the same time (long live non-teamwork) until the round was over. We lost, but I was the player with the highest score by far. It was awesome.

But with all the objectives and the classes and the ‘tank’ you have to protect, it reminds me a lot of Enemy Territory (Wolfenstein and Quake Wars). Maybe it’s just a coincidence, that the guys from Splash Damage made all three games.

27. DXN says:

This game looks sooooooo boss. Boss like the mayor of king town. I’m sad I missed it (and all y’all) at the Expo the other weekend due to being asleep. Sad!

28. Zyrxil says:

I would have to object to that, movement, tactical positioning, and predicting your opponent has always been important in shooters.

Here’s a great example, where a top level Quake 3/Quake Live player narrates a championship match he played, with explanations of timing, resource management/control, etc.

• Urthman says:

What a fascinating video! I never would have imagined that the core skill for being a Quake 3 champion was the ability to maintain constant split-second awareness of the armor and health respawn timers. Thanks, Zyrxil!

29. blind_boy_grunt says:

“Also try mentioning all the FPSs that already deviate from the Quake archetype”
    I don’t think he’s attacking players at all. He’s talking about the movement system and that hasn’t changed in any significant way since the beginning. You know, that clunky, jump to get over a knee high box system.

• blind_boy_grunt says:

the above @Dervish
      i can’t seem to be able to reply, like, at all.

• Quintin Smith says:

Total comments overhaul, coming soon to a Rock Paper Shotgun near you.

• Dominic White says:

It’s funny how replies to announce a reply fail always seem to go in the right place. It’s almost as if the initial failure causes the replier to pay attention and click the right buttons.

• suibhne says:

It has nothing to do with hitting the right buttons, Dominic. It’s a server-side problem. In my experience, it seems to happen when two comments are filed in response to the same post at roughly the same time.

• tribal whore says:

which is why I don’t bother commenting until a day or 2 after the post

so what if nobody reads me

30. Flaringo says:

Was there any lag or problems with hit registration? You played multiplayer, I assume.

Chaz says:

I like the idea of the SMART button. To me it sounds like an evolution of the run button in Assassins Creed which perfoms all the jumps and what not for you automatically when you run across rooves and jump crates and beams, and I think that works really well. It frees you up from having think about timing your buttons presses on each and every jump etc and lets you get on with enjoying playing the game proper.

32. substance says:

SO hyped.

33. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I do so very much hope there will be a free trial or something like it.

34. Jan Schaffer says:

This was a great video, actual game analysis starts at 4minutes in if you’re bored of the pre talk and just wanna know whats up. Good watch if you’re one of those ppl convinced that medium speed fps:es like cod/cs etc are somehow “tactical” just cause they’re slower.

35. Jan Schaffer says:

meh @ reply button not working, I was refering to zyrxils link:

36. Jordan says:

I know I will be hated by many for saying this, but SMART does play the game for you.

SMART decides when it is good for you to jump. Timing was one of those ‘skill’ components it takes to play games. Knowing when to jump, evade properly, and knowing which dances will win you the game and which will make you a target, is a staple of competitive FPS.
    I’m worried that the SMART system turns all of this ‘dancing in time with each other’ that are other FPS, into one single button. If you’re under fire, hit one button. No longer does circle strafing or skirting matter. One button will save you. Need to get to the other side of the level? Hit one button. No longer does timing and skill factor into traversing the arena. Even your little sister can do the most advanced moves.

What will this do for the culture of multiplayer that will rise from this game? I predict it’ll destroy the competitive aspect of the game and we won’t be seeing this in the multiplayer hall of fame.

• substance says:

It’s worth noting that they mentioned in a previous interview that SMART will essentially act as a shortcut for actions that can be triggered manually. In fact, Any action executed via the SMART button will most likely be less effective than the same action timed and triggered manually.

• Tom O'Bedlam says:

There is also the fact that SMART only orchestrates the maneuvers for you, its still very much up to player to assess their situation and the terrain and approach how they see fit.

• Lewie Procter says:

Also, manually jumping is faster. They said that if there is a gap, you can use smart and know for certain you will get across it.

Or you can manually jump, risk falling, but if you make it, you will be faster.

• niffk says:

i used to feel the same, then i bothered to do some research about the game – timing your own jumps and movements is more effective than using the SMART key, especially with more complex series of jumps.

37. Jordan says:

I say it. When considering any game that isn’t turn based, if you’re hitting one button and multiple actions happen, this is the game playing itself for you. There are some exceptions to this, though Brink is not one.

38. suibhne says:

It’s strange to read about how tight and polished the game feels, when it’s still a year away from release. I don’t know whether to feel indignant that it’s not coming sooner, or feel pleased in a sort of “this-is-the-way-it’s-done-lads” manner.

• Quintin Smith says:

Dude! It’s out in Spring.

• The Dark One says:

Quinns mentioned the release date bit, but I think the same thing happened with Left 4 Dead when Valve was showing it off at expos prior to its release. People seemed to wonder all the time why the game wasn’t out already if it was so polished. Of course, when it came out we did see that the there had been room for improvement in the early builds (there was even a noticeable jump from the No Mercy ‘demo’ to the launch version of the game). The other reason was content. Even with all the work put into it, Valve wasn’t able to finish two of the campaigns for Versus play by mid-November.

I’m guessing it’s been the same thing here. Getting the basic multiplayer formula first is good, but you’ve still got to build all the levels to actually house the game.

39. Navagon says:

I’ve had an eye on this one for a while. It still sounds like a must have to me.

40. KiDHero says:

Treyarch is not “locking down” modtools, if you ever see the interviews, they clearly state that they will release mod tools for PC Gamers (HAHA!!) only, but after the game is released, so I give it a couple weeks after game release, then mod tools come out (FOR PC ONLY, HAHA! Consoles fail!)

41. Harbour Master says:

I live a stone’s throw from Bromley and shop, quaff and walk there ALL THE TIME. I had no idea Splash Damage were sitting right under my nose.

What else haven’t you told me about? I suppose cats with jet packs in Croydon? I’m an RPS subscriber and demand personalised news.

42. LevingLasVegas says:

It should also be good to mention that the Quick Voice Commands menu from Quake Wars is being used in Brink. For those that never played Quake Wars (for shame!), it allows you to issue simple commands like, “Medical Supplies dropped” (and then ping your location), “Follow Me”, “Complete the Objective”, “Enemy Type spotted”, and conversational stuff like “Good Game” and so on without a mic. You simply bring up a menu and select the category (Team, Conversation, Orders, Personal, etc), and then select what you want to say. Makes it so that even those without mics can still quickly vocalize commands or concerns.

43. Tom O'Bedlam says:

But how tight were their pants, Quinns?

44. TeeJay says:

Doesn’t this already apply to TF2?

• TeeJay says:

“Doesn’t this already apply to TF2?”

Sorry, that was a reply to AndrewC: “A multiplayer FPS that you can be rubbish at FPSs in? I want it.”

45. Moonracer says:

any feature that improves the look and function of movement is a plus. I hope it doesn’t degrade into some form of bunny hopping madness. That drives me nuts.

• Spacewalk says:

I can see it the week of release; lots of players sliding and jumping about whilst a small amount just sit there laughing whilst shooting them full of holes.

46. Spacewalk says:

These are still the worst rappers that I have ever seen but it sure sounds like oodles of fun. Time for a system upgrade.

• Rap Mogul says:

Watch us jump n run
      As we bust our guns
      Aint no wimmin here
      But still we aint no queers

Now slide
      toooootsie rolllllll

TRS-80 says:

Please please please let this have a native Linux client.

48. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Quintin, police often put people in jail and stuff. Just saying because they don’t normally let you play games in jail or post on RPS. Probably some other stuff you normally do too.

49. Jack Monahan says:

Not only are guns louder when aimed up properly, they actually sound astonishingly different–to get a good sight picture you are holding your face against the side of the weapon, so front and center is the sound of the bolt recoiling, and the spring that’s putting it back into battery. It’s bone conduction–you’re hearing through your body more than your ears.

This is a really difficult thing to describe but it was an incredible surprise in my own experience. Bolt action rifles have very few moving parts so it’s the sound of the firing pin and then the roar of the cartridge firing, but semi-automatic and automatic weapons tend to sound completely different when fired down the sights or from the hip. M1 Carbines, AR-15/M16s sound like particularly cruel sewing machines when you have your face pressed to them, on account of the buffer spring.

Like Richard Garriott stresses: research, research, research. Knowing about guns doesn’t mean you have to make a simulationist title–this is a common false dichotomy rife among game devs–but it will let you make decisions about what to include or abstract from a position of expertise, rather than arbitrarily from a position of ignorance.