Unite For More Action: Mythos Class Trailer

By John Walker on October 8th, 2010 at 12:20 pm.

WoW, the art style looks familiar.

The relaunched Mythos MMO has released a trailer explaining the classes. You have a Pyromancer, a Bloodletter, and the one Alec will choose, Gadgeteer. See them fight! See them also fight! See them fight! It’s hack-n-slash MMOing, which is something every sane mind wants. As is traditional in our custom, you can watch the video below.

The game’s due next year, although specifics aren’t available. However, you can currently sign up for the forthcoming beta.

, , .

1. Kid A says:

Will be interesting to see this going up against Torchlight 2 (even if Torchlight isn’t going to be an MMO). Except it will come down to whether people prefer a WoW style traditional MMO structure (if only with 3 classes) or a Diablo-style party up, kill stuff, share loot, wave goodbye style of thing.

• Nethlem says:

If this re-release is anything like the original mythos from flagship studios then there really is no point to your comparisson. It’s basicly a diablo rip-off, it tries to be more diablo then WoW in all aspects.

2. Tei says:

I know the gadgetter (steampunk hunter), but who are the other dudes? also, theres too much magic-fire particles everywhere. I hope these effects are toned down, or better… reserved for the most epic moments. Not a good intro video for the classes. From the RPS screenshot seems the blooddude can summon blooddogs, but the video don’t seems to show that.

• Dave says:

THAT had too many particle effects? I bet you aren’t a fan of Beat Hazard then…

3. yutt says:

Looks like WoW. Sorry, it does.

• Tei says:

Achievement unlocked! “Taste licke chicken”

See a WoW player compared 60 different games to WoW. “This looks like wow”.

• Cat says:

You clearly haven’t played WoW o_O

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yeah, WoW looks better.

• Temple to Tei says:

Achievement unlocked ‘Licked Chicken’

• Sarkhan Lol says:

Ha ha, no, no, you can’t say that anymore or the Langoliers get you. You have to say “well-established art style.”

Mythos always had that somewhat derivative look, this edition actually slightly less so. And we’ll stop hearing “that looks like WoW” when people finally stop ripping off that plush, colorful, perfectly acceptable but done-to-death visual approach. It’s not always fanboys defending their sacred tumor, you know, sometimes it’s weary, jaded individuals who are just sick of the sight of it.

• Wulf says:

“It’s not always fanboys defending their sacred tumor, you know, sometimes it’s weary, jaded individuals who are just sick of the sight of it.”

Who are often worse than WoW fans, from my experience. For every WoW-hater I’ve seen that’s screamed ZOMG WOW-GAYNEZ at something, just because it has a splash of colour. I’m not a fan of WoW, and I have my reasons for that, but I actually do like charming, cheery, and colourful things. Compared to most people, I’m a living bloody paradigm shift for that reason alone.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

Yeah extremists are pretty bad. Really, they should all be shot.

Harlander says:

As long as I can once more play a goblin gadgeteer with a musket as long as he is tall, I’ll be giving this some attention

5. apricotsoup says:

I have to say that they’ve gone for a well established art style without anything that has made other examples work (high quality assets in allods, strong styles in torchlight and wow, etc.) and it just doesn’t look very good :/

Which is probably more the company rushing the art team but still a bit dissapointing.

• Nethlem says:

I think it has more to do with keeping system requirements down, it’s the same reason borderlands changed from the original “realistic look” to the cell shaded comic version we got in the end.

Making a realistic art style look good requires alot of performance/good graphics, which in turn shrinks your target customer base. A more comic-like art style manages to look decent without driving the hardware requirements up too much.

6. Symce says:

Looks mighty awesome, im deffo keeping an eye out on this one, hack n slash me likey!

7. HexagonalBolts says:

fear my almighty glowing circle surrounding me on the ground

8. the affront says:

Same classes it had back in beta some 3 years ago.
    EXCITING.

9. Ben says:

quite reminiscent of the Guildwars 2 class trailer, I was kind of expecting “YOUR FAITH IS YOUR WEAKNESS, HUMAN” at 1@45

10. Taggert says:

This looks worse then it did when i played it to death almost 3 years! how is that possible!

• bob_d says:

The Korean team has been redoing the graphics to be more, well, Korean (i.e. cute).

11. ScubaMonster says:

Is this going to be free to play? It looks interesting but not interesting enough to buy it.

12. Spoon says:

It took them three years to put out the same exact game? What have they been doing the entire time?

• bob_d says:

The Korean team ended up with a mass of undocumented code, some game models that were too primitive for them (Korean MMOs are all about cute or highly polished graphics) and no idea how to deal with it. It took about a year after the collapse of Flagship for it to even end up in their hands, and they spent at least a year just trying to figure out how the thing worked. They’ve redone a lot of graphics, expanded the world and probably added some other new content.

13. Tetragrammaton says:

My apathy meter is bottoming out. I could swear the games industry is now actively cloning games artists. I am generica, here me roar (monotonously).

14. Matt says:

The most hilarious thing about the WoW-ripoff art is that it originated because the original Mythos project didn’t have proper pre-production, so the outsourced-art-folks, lacking direction, just gave them a bunch of WoW-ripoff art, and it snowballed from there.

Yay.

Also, anything you enjoyed about the original Mythos beta has been covered with a thick layer of Korean grind.

• Tei says:

I was about to mention this hilarious thing.

Mythos was a random group of models that my pure luck made a interesting atmosphere. Is not WoW, is generic-generic-generic mmo that with luck become not-generic.