Wot I Think: Front Mission Evolved

By Jim Rossignol on October 8th, 2010 at 11:08 am.

Front Mission Evolved is out today. Here’s Wot I Think.

Front Mission has changed. What was a turn-based console RPG featuring walking tanks and a complex political backstory is now a multi-platform third-person shooter featuring walking tanks and complex political backstory. Front Mission Evolved is an evolution, of sorts, and it starts out well. ROLLERSKATING ROBOTS ARE ATTACKING THE SPACE ELEVATOR! A stylish robo-movie opens things up for us and then…

Once you’re in-game, Front Mission Evolved feels a lot like those Japanese monster movies where it’s a guy in a rubber suit pushing over scale models of TV masts and leaning on a cardboard volcano. You can tell he’s supposed to be huge, but, well, he’s clearly just a man and some slow-motion. The robot – or wanzer (walking Panzer, because they couldn’t shorten walking tank) – sequences in Front Mission Evolved come with a similar faulty perspective. You never feel like the wanzer is huge, just that everything else is small. You are a robot on a day out at the model village, with lots of pyrotechnics to make thing exciting. Thoom boom, and all those noises.

The wanzer-on-wanzer action isn’t too bad, you know. You can zoom about on your rollerskates until you run out of juice (robot-stamina), and you can leap about, to climb up onto buildings and platforms. Enemies use all this stuff too. You pour bullets and missiles into those enemies (but you can load back up with suitcases full of robo-ammo that lie about the place) and can even give them a sparky punch in the face. Robots beating each other is one of my personal simulated combat fetishes, I don’t mind admitting, and there are even specific melee bots in this that will come and beat you with a giant nightstick. You can, of course, customise yourself to beat things up at close range, too. It’s just a shame that everything in Front Mission Evolved doesn’t carry more weight. There’s a lot of light and noise – and my subwoofer felt like it was the end times – but the visuals don’t quite match. These wanzers are papery beings.

Anyway, the customisation of the robot should, given Front Mission’s heritage, but at the forefront of the game. I was a bit disappointed that the menu didn’t support the mouse – yes, the gamepad hangover from the otherwise fine port means you have to use the keyboard – but once I’d processed that with my tiny brain, I found that the options were unclear, and essentially a botch. Yeah, you need more torso armour or you die. And yes, you will probably want the guns that do more damage, but not too much! You’ve got to keep it all balanced. There’s something there, but it’s a vestigial something that probably should have given a hefty shot of steroids and pumped until it was huge and swollen. As it is I failed to fit anything aside from a fist-thing and a single shoulder-mounted missile launcher on one of the levels, and I still bodged my way through.

Which brings us back to combat. These robots dodge back and forth on their rocket-boosted rollerskates, which makes them a decent foe. They use cover. This is especially true in the various boss fights, each of which pits you versus some super-robot with a character who blathers plot for a bit, usually in an special arena. These are particularly welcome because the rest of the combat is so drainingly repetitious. Kill tank, kill robot, and on and on. And on. And sleep. You find yourself going back with different customisations not because that’s what you need to get past the next bit, because you are longing for something different to happen. But no, the endless corridor of exploding robots continues. And that would be okay, I suspect, if the game had some kind of extra wheel, some buildings you could throw robots through, or perhaps over-the-top ragdoll physics for the robo-fisticuffs, or tiny screaming people to convince me this was /actually a robot/. But it does not. It could have even have made the robot war a little more simulatory, with your allied bots, which accompany you for much of the game, actually doing something. But they do not. In fact, they only cause minimal damage to anything they engage, leaving you to do all the work, and take all the damage. Thanks guys. Thanks.

In fact, the way the game actually manages to shake things up is being having you get out of the robot and run around on foot. This rather-missing-the-point sequence is a decidedly average run-[and-crouch-behind-scenery-to-recharge]-and-gun process, although I liked the heft of the assault rifle and the way your enemies die pretty quickly. I mean, men /should/ die quickly when shot with guns. They should not keep walking about. So that’s good.

Nevertheless this pedestrian experience becomes quite preposterous when you are expected to kill a wanzer on foot. What was unleashing a torrent of death at your armoured self ten minutes earlier now shoots at you a bit with a giant machine gun. It’s as if he doesn’t care. You need to be hit by bullets the size of a man several times before you die, too. Fortunately you can quickly despatch these enemy wanzers – the one time in the game when something feels genuinely enormous – with a few well-timed rockets. More easily, it turns out, that you can when you are in a giant prototype death machine designed for that purpose. Hmm.

There are a few additional features lazing about under the surface of the game. The key one is E.D.G.E. Not another trademark dispute, but actually a kind of bullet-time damage multiplier. It didn’t seem necessary, except in the bits where the game told you it was necessary. Then, of course, you had to use it, or do no damage at all. Sadly superfluous.

There’s something here. But it’s not a game worth buying. Instead it’s a kind of warning. What has happened here is precisely what X-Com fans fear will happen to their game. What was a pretty good turn-based combat series has been melted down and shipped off to the action game factory to make something new and improved. Except what we had originally was fine, and this is lightweight and disposable. The acting in the cutscenes is fine, and some of the FMVs are amazing. But it’s all gone to waste, because the robotic heart isn’t beating hard enough. The core game just isn’t bombastic or beautiful or deep enough to charm anyone. More of what made the original series special might have made this special, too. As it is, this is one of those games that my memory will rapidly erase to make room for gossip and power fantasies. Because it is, despite the space elevator and the beautiful robots, an unengaging, uninspired experience.

And I am a sad, lonely robot.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Kits says:

Pretty much felt the same way. I pushed on for a few hours, until I came to a fight where the game throws four ‘bosses’ at you at the same time. Got murdered a couple of times so took a break and I really don’t feel like going back to try again. Just doesn’t seem worth it.
    They should have used the time to give us Front Mission 4 and 5 instead.

2. pkt-zer0 says:

So, not as good as Gun Hazard, eh?

Well, still got an upcoming Mechwarrior game somewhere, for all the robotic stompiness.

3. Rich says:

The second screen makes me think SupCom. A 3rd person action game of SupCom would probably be better.

• Ted says:

man, only if they had 1000 enemies onscreen at once, and you are in some experimental, OR you played as the commander in 3rd person, you build stuff, but that stuff just builds and sends, you can only give basic ‘DEFEND’ or ATTACK! orders to the factories to encourage you to fight.

4. Tei says:

Sounds like a good game, if you ignore that you are into a mech, and forget all mech games, and you play it like you are a very slow ninja with a uzi in a FMV game.

What I really want is a “Code Geass” game, where I can fight the evil Albion empire Lelouch style.

• coldwave says:

Never expected Code Geass to be mentioned on RPS.

Oh well.

• Nethlem says:

A Code Geass game would certainly be interesting… the source material has enough stuff for a game that combines quite a few different genre’s. Some strategy, RPG, mecha fighting the possibilities would be endless :D

• DarkNoghri says:

Ooooo, overarching strategy type stuff as LeLouche vs Schneizel, jump into the action as Suzaku or Kalin. That could be interesting.

5. Jajusha says:

That “walking panzer = wanzer”, “walking tank=????” was very sublime.

6. nihohit says:

Memories: Slave Zero. Or maybe Shogh. But it’s all nostalgia.

7. Lars Westergren says:

>You can tell he’s supposed to be huge, but, well, he’s clearly just a man and some slow-motion.

That’s what I thought back in the days when I played Shogo too. In fact, the Lungfishopolis level of Psychonauts is one of the few games that really have managed to make me feel HUGE.

• Demon Beaver says:

What makes Lungfishopolis so memorable is, in my opinion, both that you are treated like a giant monster attacking the city (tanks, helicopters, news flashes, and people calling out “not the orphanage” when you stomp on a building) and Raz’s wonderful walking animation, with both arms spread aside, taking giant steps… and of course the wonderful art.
      I gotta reinstall that game…

8. Griddle Octopus says:

Sounds IDENTICAL to Shogo, which was Monolith’s solid 8/10 games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogo:_Mobile_Armor_Division The robot-versus-little people and little person versus giant robot combat in that made sense and worked though – and it didn’t just spam the big enemy robots.

• seras says:

Shogo was quite an awesome game, replayed it not too long ago. (and yes, as always, i rescue the damn cat)

it definitely gets the scale of things right…but the mech actions feels pretty light/arcade-ish, could’ve used a bit more of a sim feel.

• malkav11 says:

Not really. Shogo was aiming squarely at the anime mech experience, where mechs are fast and agile and fight with swords and such, and it captures it brilliantly. I mean, there’s a definite place for big hulking stompy-mech sim type games – love you, Mechwarrior! – but Shogo wasn’t trying to be such a game.

• Dominic White says:

I really didn’t like Shogo at all. The mech stuff felt like I was just playing the on-foot stuff, but with the occasional tiny person enemy to make me feel like I’m actually a giant robot, and didnt’ like the on-foot stuff due to the insane critical hit system which forced you to heal by relying on random health boosts, but also could kill YOU almost instantly if you were unlucky.

Even the most super-agile of mecha games, like the newer Armored Core (where you can travel through the air at several hundred miles an hour) games provide some feeling weight and power that convey the feeling that you’re not just playing as Floating Gun Arm: Jumbo Edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19rzJ29LyJM – this is a game where you can literally move at supersonic speeds, but it also has a mech-lab up there with Mechwarrior, if not better, and remarkably complex controls, including two seperate thruster control buttons that allow you to manage main vertical and positional maneuvering engines seperately.

• harvb says:

I can’t believe no reviewers or commentators have yet to compare this to Shogo; they sound identical. If it is, I’m buying it, fo’ sho’.

9. Commander Gun says:

A mech is a mech imho; not a Wanzer, Not a ST (standing tank), not a robot. Just a mech.

10. Ian says:

I can’t imagine that if I had a giant robot I’d ever want to walk around on my puny meat feet ever again.

• Quintin Smith says:

There’s some nice stuff in the Warhammer 40k titan lore about that. Pilots undergoing obscene suffering the moment they leave their god-machine to walk around on their own two feet.

• Will Tomas says:

Surely whatever physical suffering they’re in due to their atrophied legs, it’s nothing to the crushing realisation that outside the robot shell they’re actually really, really small. Pilot OAP homes are probably full of decrepid former titan pilots staggering about on their canes looking for the W40K equivalent of ants to step on, going “I crush you, puny mortal,” to re-live the glory days.

• Tei says:

Not only that. Wen get used to move everywhere in a big robot, and you are invited to a party that is 1000 miles away, you reply “He.. I will be there in 5 min”. Distances contract. So wen you abandon the mech, is like distances expand.. the party is now 5 month walking…

• Chris D says:

That happened to me once, except I was running late and figured I’d just take the mech. I made pretty good time getting there but had some difficulty finding the right building. That’s when I looked under my left foot. The party was a bit lifeless after that. Next time I’m just going to walk. I’m sure someone will invite me to another party someday.

• chesh says:

EVE has something like that as well; while plugged into his ship a pilot is effectively immortal. I wasn’t in any way interested in the whole Walking In Stations thing they’ve been going on about for years as it seemed to undercut the whole point of the game, until they released a trailer for it last fanfest (at work, CBA to look it up) that went on about how degrading it felt to leave the capsule, but that it was sometimes necessary to deal with station-bound black market criminal types.

• Bret says:

You too, Chris?

Man, there should be a PSA on the subject or something.

And anyone else find their morning commute interrupted by Gamera?

It’s a pain.

11. themadhatter says:

No, mate, no it is not.
    Those in search of a decent mech/mecha/wanzer game ought to play the Mechwarrior series. Those are proper robot-battle games. This is a travesty, not only when compared against the original (fantastic) series, but against mech games in general.
    The most telling part of its ludicrous and disgusting self, which Jim neglected to mention, is found in its base combat mechanics: the “health” of your mechs torso regenerates itself. IT REGENERATES! Sad enough that “boss” battles come with a constantly replenishing supply of health/ammo crates, and combat in general is simple to the point of being downright easy, but the developers saw fit to include robots that magically knit themselves back together.

Further ill-points include:
    * Traditional Japanese/consolized “gameplay with storytelling.” To whit: play five or ten minutes, then watch a cutscene. Run through half the level, then watch a cutscene. Engage in a battle…then watch a cutscene. For those interested in an actual game, not one of the many modern “interactive cinematic experiences,” skip this one.
    * Collectibles. Countless and varied, yet all equally worthless.
    * No arena. For those unfamiliar with the series, an “arena” or training area has always been included. You could grind up levels (or whatnot) within them or just work on your tactics, try out a few strategies or fieldtest some new parts. Here, you’ve nothing but the campaign to run through, no deviations whatsoever. Multiplayer might offer some sort of quasi-substitute, but I’m a singleplayer purist, so that’s a no-go.
    * The ability to purchase/use new parts are far between and, at times, forced upon you. Why, I ask, am I forced to use hover-legs in one mission (where I never actually needed them), then abruptly prohibited from keeping them in the next?
    * As Jim mentioned, your occasional “partners” are useless. Worse yet, you can’t even customize their mechs. Half the fun of the series has always been messing about with your team’s mechs to guarantee you were prepared for any eventuality.

@pkt-zer0
    Not by a long-shot, mate. Gun Hazard may have sacrificed the gameplay of the original for some side-scrolling mech blasting, but at least it maintained the same…well, “spirit” of the franchise. The game had no turns and no real tactics, but it felt like a Front Mission title. This does not.

12. theleif says:

What a shame

13. themadhatter says:

Oh!
    Ere I forget, there are three other things that truly annoyed me…

1) THE STORY
    Spoilers being what they are, I’ll just say that it’s nonsense. Utter, rank nonsense. The first Front Mission had a somewhat zany story, sure, but at least the organic-computer idea wasn’t so far fetched as to border on pure fantasy. Can’t say the same of this one.

2) NO COLLECTING PARTS
    Perhaps one of the greatest parts of the FM series has been collecting weapons and/or parts from enemy mechs. At times this was a result of a specific fight or simply from capturing a mech (forcing the pilot to surrender, killing the pilot without destroying the mech or disabling the mech, either via a skill or blowing off the limbs yet leaving the torso intact).
    Here… nothing. The entire mechanic is gone. No collecting incredible, rare or just unique parts from hard-fought battles. So much for an added incentive to fight, aye?

3) NO DESTROYING PARTS
    For those who played the proper Front Mission games the idea of a mech continuing to utilize its weapons after you’ve blown their arms off should be suitably laughable, considering how the “destroyed limb” mechanic functioned. For those who have not, imagine playing a game where, after you’ve chopped a man’s arms off, he keeps hitting you with the sword he was wielding. That’s how it works here.

• K. says:

At least they didn’t change the background to, say, 50′s Americana.

This said… call me back on the series when it is TBS again.

14. Chris D says:

The irony is that if they’d just made something like Front Mission 3 but a little shinier I’d almost certainly have bought it.

15. Plantaganet says:

Its deeply irritating. Especially as everything feels much much too nippy for what should be a hulking lump of metal widgets.

As an aside, why has no-one made a 40K Titan game yet? Like mechwarrior, but SO MUCH BIGGER. It’d be ace. But only if you could punch through Cathedrals.

16. blargh says:

As I suspected. More medicority. :(

17. Dominic White says:

FM: Evolved is a pile of wank. It just screams ‘cheaply farmed-out spinoff’ in every respect. The biggest kick in the nards is that the plot is pretty much every bit of terrible anime excess all rolled into one place – doubly galling as the Front Mission series are fairly famous for having gritty, serious military and geopolitical storylines that don’t rely on bullet-time powers or evil computers wanting to take over the world.

My advice: Play the other games in the series. Get a SNES emulator, and play the (good) original FM action game, Gun Hazard (which despite being a platform shooter, had more feeling of weight and power behind your mech than anything in Evolved). Or if you want something really special, either get yourself a modded PS2 or find someone who can set you up with one, find a copy of Front Mission 5, then download the fan-made translation patch for it and enjoy one of the best mech-based strategy games ever, with all the depth and complexity you could ever hope for. Earlier games can be found also on the SNES, DS, PS1 and PS2, but FM5 is the best by far.

• Snidesworth says:

You can also purchase Front Mission 3 for a measly £4 on PSN. Which was a kick in the teeth after I spent about 4 times that getting an original PS1 copy off Ebay, but it’s good news for everyone else.

• Simes says:

I loved Front Mission 3 so much. Played all the way through it then immediately played all the way through the other storyline. With New Game + so my guy was completely badass. Great game.

• Snidesworth says:

I was impressed that there was two different storylines in the game. An innocuous choice early on dictates which side of a global conflict you end up on and most of the characters you pick up. Allies in one playthrough may end be enemies in another and vice versa. It was interesting to see how your perceptions of them changed when they’d switched sides.

18. Jahkaivah says:

What? FRONT MISSION is evolving!

19. stahlwerk says:

Metal Gear?!

What game does actually deliver a believable “you fight something that’s 100 times larger than you” experience? I heard Shadow of the colossus did it well. The Kraken in Tomb Raider Underworld also had a believable largeness to it, but he was quite static (coincidentally the level geometry in TRU also successfully created a sense of sprawling size, especially in Thailand and Helheim).

But it’s a problem not limited to ground fighting vs. mecha/monsters. In Wing Commander, X-Wing (and sequels) capital ships like star destroyers did not feel like 1.6 km long behemoths. I suspect it’s a variable of movement speed and player fov / monitor size. Maybe for something to be recognised as gigantic by the brain, it really needs to fill the field of vision from one edge to the other.

• EthZee says:

METAL-GEAR RELATED SPOILERS ABOUND:

You mentioned Metal Gear: I actually think that the section in MGS4 where you’re piloting Metal Gear Rex to very well convey the sense of piloting a giant stompy mech. Granted, there are some silly kick and kung-fu moves in the fight against the Metal Gear Ray, but the sound, effects etc manage to give a “big mech” feel.

Shame that it only lasts for about ten minutes, though.

• Matt says:

Robot Alchemic Drive was amazing.

20. ynamite says:

Have none of you played Heavy Gear 2?

Mechwarrior was always to sim like for my taste, but oh did I love Heavy Gear. I’ve still got the game and I have extremely fond memories of it, it was challenging, sometimes cumbersome but beautiful. Maybe this is nostalgia talking but man that was a good game.

• Dominic White says:

Nah, I agree – Heavy Gear 2 was twice the game anything in the Mechwarrior series has, or will be. Unfortunately, it’s also nigh-impossible to get it to run on modern systems, which sucks and blows at the same time.

One thing I really liked about HG2 is that armor behaved like armor. If you’re stomping around in a heavy unit, then at long range, most shells will ping harmlessly off you. Some may chip away at your outer armor, but that just decreases the change of deflection somewhat. A shot has to score full penetration to actually cause real damage. As such, heavy units tended to be better off fighting at long range, wheras lighter units could close that distance faster and put a couple of AP shells right up into an enemys soft-spot.

• Urael says:

I also enjoyed a spot of Heavy Gear back in the day. Those could roller-skate as well, couldn’t they?

• ynamite says:

oh damn, I never realized it wasn’t playable on XP/Vista/7… sad to hear that.

I also liked it much better than Mechwarrior, but since I’m a graphics whore that might have something to do with it also. I can’t really explain what got me hooked on HG2, since I’m not much of a Mech guy, but for some reason that game just fascinated me. The scale, the tactial battles, the customization of your mechs, somewhat interesting mission and not a half bad story (at least what I remember of it). I remember I first played the demo and couldn’t wait for the full version to be released. It just oozed coolness from every orifice.

Yes, the Mechs could skate also, which was good fun even though I generally have an aversion to skating Mechs. They might as well dance Ballet.

• Dominic White says:

I must be the only one who seems to think that putting wheels on mechs is a very smart design decision. Legs and arms are great for heightened maneuverability over complex terrain, but if you just want to get from A to B across flat, smooth terrain quickly, then walking is hugely inefficient and likely to stomp enormous robot footprints into the tarmac. A retractable set of wheels to just reduce travel time is very logical.

21. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Erase! Erase!

22. Cudgeon says:

They really could have shorten the review… “This game is from the same US Developer that did Silent Hill Homecoming” <- after that everything would have been clear for everyone.

Doesn't Super Robot Taisen feature Code Geass Robots too?

Another Century's Episode: R does feature them and is probably better. I mean, its from "From Software" makers of "Demon's Souls" and "3D dot Game Heroes". Ok also AC but I kinda want to not mention that one…

23. MacD says:

I wish I could play Heavy Gear 2 … or that they’d make a sequel. I liked the style of it, and the tactical-ness (tacticality?) of the gameplay. In some ways it even bettered Mechwarrior 3, with a feeling of real military combat going on instead of “plain” sci-fi mechiness.

Still can’t really play HG2, even on XP :(

• ynamite says:

I agree, loved it for it’s unique style and again reminds me of the good games of old.

Going to have to do some research concerning running it on modern OS’. Strange that it won’t budge, I mean, didn’t it run on Windows95/98 or was that even earlier on DOS?

• ynamite says:

I just did a quick search and apparantly there’s quite few people still playing it on XP, I haven’t found a guide on how to make it work though. It doesn’t like Windows Vista and 7 at all though, so no HG2 for me :(

24. Nick says:

I hate that we get this and not, for example, the other front mission DS game localized.

I am a sad robot panda.

25. Fumarole says:

It’s a good thing you avoided having to include the line “The wank-on-wank action isn’t too bad, you know.” in this WIT.

26. Spoon says:

The entire time I was playing this, all I could think is “Why don’t I just stop playing this, and go play one of the Armored Core titles?” This game distilled down to its most basic is just a sad, sad copy of Armored Core. The review and many commenters have already outlined most of the bad things with this game, so my “list of bad stuff” will try to avoid stuff that was already discussed. The list:

1) Horrible textures – We’re talking stuff that probably doesn’t even look good in the 360 version. The camo patterns, pretty much all the textures in the cockpit, and the teeth of characters (the texture was solid white, so without some sort of shadow in any given scene it looked like everyone had one giant tooth) are the worst offenders.

2) Unlocalized onscreen messages – The onscreen messages (tutorial, situational controls) appear in the game, but the devs did not bother to have them support keyboard and mouse. This leaves you with helpful messages like “Press fire left hand weapon button to fire left hand weapon”. Total and complete waste of screen.

3) The collectibles – Someone else went over this, but didn’t stress how ridiculous this is. The least amount of collectibles in any given stage is 23, with some stages having even more than that. It wouldn’t be that much of a problem if you could ignore them and still afford all the new parts as they were unlocked, but you cannot. Exacerbating the problem is…

4) Awful, uninspired level design – Basically, everything in this game is made of squares of two heights: stuff you can jump on, and stuff that is too tall for you to jump on. It reminds me a lot of the level design of some older mech games (Shogo, for instance) with it’s blockyness, but is much less inspired. Levels this plain could not get me excited to go over them with a fine toothed comb for 23+ collectibles.

5) The multiplayer has levels – And boy do they matter. If you are new to the game and you try to do anything to someone of Colonel rank or above, good luck. If you ever played APB and fought high R people as a noob, this is 10 times worse than that. It’s more akin to PvPing in wow, where you are a level 50 and your opponent is a level 80.

Avoid this game.

27. Fox says:

I’m not sure how you can say there’s no sense of scale with your robot when it takes up 70% of the screen. Clearly it is huge and demanding all of your attention.

Really though, by those screens I’m amazed you could find something to shoot that wasn’t your own robotic ass.

28. Guhndahb says:

I was so disappointed that this could not be played from a cockpit view. I _love_ my MechWarrior setup. HOTAS throttle/rudder for movement and mouse for torso (aiming). It really made you feel like you were piloting an 80 ton implement of destruction. Mmmm…good.

29. Dhatz says:

exactly my impressions on the game, there is no realism indicating the size of those things.

30. Shock says:

For everyone who complains that the game is full of too much Japanese game/anime cliches (which it is), keep in mind that it is only published by Square Enix and it was mostly developed by an American company in California. Look at the credits! This is not a real front mission game. It’s an American-made cheesy console mech game.

31. Jezebeau says:

@Dominic: Think about it. When walking or running, foot placement can be adjusted mid-stride to compensate for an unexpected obstacle and handle the deceleration of a full-stop. If a top-heavy mech is zipping along at 100+kph on its heel-wheels and tries to stop quickly, it’s going to faceplant into whatever it was trying to avoid.

• Dominic White says:

Which is why that traditionally in the series, Wanzers switch to walking once they’re engaged in combat. This skating-circle-strafing malarkey is new, because the devs wanted to make FM: Evolved more X-TREEM.

32. BahInnerSphere says:

I can only recommend to everyone to go and play

Battletech: The crescent hawk’s inception
    either as C64 (the one I played) or PC version.

You want a game with well done turn based Mech combat and actually a storyline and shops and whatnot, this is it. Despite some gamey bits(shooting a mech weapon at infantry is fun), it’s just great to play and shows that GFX isn’t everything.

Good times.

33. The Snee says:

I”m enjoying Front Mission Evolved, but I do enjoy the robots.

34. alinkdeejay says:

The enourmously cheesy enemies (brotherhood of nod and cobra rolled into one with added anime stereotypes) and this whole ‘let’s work together to save mankind’ theme that the good guys have is what made me stop playing this. It’s …. insulting to my intelligence that this passes as a plot especially for what used to be a mature take on mechs considering the political settings and eceonomical themes it used to have.

However I found the gameplay and how different builds affect how you play to be pretty fun. Campaign is much too short though, it never feels like an epic undertaking like an rpg does. Robots feel appropriatly clunky and large if played with a gamepad, you get force feedback from moving around, your aim is slightly slow, that sort of thing helps.

Comment on this story