Cardboard Children: Battlestar Galactica

By Robert Florence on October 9th, 2010 at 4:04 pm.

Hello, youse.

I’ve heard from the rest of the RPS guys that you’re all horrible people, so I’m going to be talking about a subject that is probably close to your heart in this week’s column. I’m going to be talking about betrayal. I’m going to be talking about being The Bad Guy.

When I play board games, and these days I seem to play them at least two nights a week, people always expect me to The Bad Guy. The Scott Hall. If we’re playing Risk, if someone has drugged me with Rohypnol and is operating my dice-throwing hand with puppet strings and has me playing Risk, then I’ll be the guy people expect to stab them in the back while cackling (snoring). If we’re playing Diplomacy, I’m the guy people expect to break a treaty, even if it doesn’t benefit me. People expect me to be bad just to be bad. People see me as the guy who’ll drop bodies just to do it. Like Marlo Stanfield from The Wire.

Now, I’m not always that guy. Sure, I enjoy being The Bad Guy, and I’ve had some historic Bad Guy moments in my board gaming life. But in board games, as in life, your reputation can cause you to have some tough times. No-one trusts me, which makes any game involving diplomacy a bit of a nightmare. I’m also the guy people like to take out early. If we’re playing a game that allows people to gang up and wipe someone off the board early doors, they’ll all do it to me, as a pre-emptive measure. There seems to be nothing I can do to rehabilitate myself in the eyes of the people I play with. It’s the reason why no-one wants to play Operation with Gunther von Hagens.

All of which brings me to the game we’ll be looking at this week. It’s called Battlestar Galactica, and it’s all about being The Bad Guy.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA or ROBERT IS A CYLON

I’ve never seen Battlestar Galactica. Allow me to clarify. I have never seen the new version of Battlestar Galactica, nor the original version of Battlestar Galactica. Sure, I’m aware of the Cylons from the old show, I remember seeing those stiff-looking robots in some repeats when I was a young guy – but I’d be damned if I was going to sit and watch a show starring the dick from The A-Team and the old fucker from Bonanza. The most recent show passed me by, despite loads of people telling me to watch it – “You’ll like it. It’s up your street. It’s really depressing.” What I did know, however, was that the humans in the new show regularly turn out to be Cylons. Bad Guys in disguise. That makes for a good board game, right?

Battlestar Galactica, from Fantasy Flight Games, is designed by the bold Corey Konieczka. We’ve spoken about him before. He’s a genius. The game sees the players taking the roles of various members of the crew of Battlestar Galactica. Your mission is to co-operate as a team, dealing with whatever threats arise, as you prepare the ship for Faster-Than-Light jumps home. But here’s the kicker – one or more of you is actually a Cylon. And secretly, the Cylons are sabotaging the mission.

The key mechanic of the game is the Skill Test. In every turn you need to handle some kind of Crisis, drawn from a deck of cards. That Crisis could be, for example, a water shortage or some kind of political unrest. Some of these cards come down to a decision for the President or Admiral, but most of these cards call for a Skill Test – if you pass, there’s usually no effect. If you fail, the ship is punished – you lose food or fuel or some other vital element. Each Crisis card tells you what kind of skills are necessary to pass the test – an Election Looming card might demand the use of Politics and Leadership skill cards. Everyone secretly plays, face down, cards that will help Galactica pass the test by hitting a target number – relevant skill cards, of varying values. This is when the Cylon player can secretly play skill cards that aren’t relevant. The value of any skill cards uncovered that aren’t relevant to the task in hand are deducted from the value of those that are. And that’s how sabotage happens. And that’s the exact point in the game where every bastard accuses me of playing Engineering cards into a Political test.

The human team wins if they see the game through to its conclusion, by jumping Galactica all the way home. The Cylons win if they cripple Galactica, either by running down resources, or blowing it to hell.

Mechanically, the game itself is very simple. It’s a firefighting game. You’re leaping all over the ship, doing repairs here, firing at some Cylon ships there. Every turn a crisis crops up, and everyone promises to help out. And every turn someone is lying. Accusations start being flung. You shout a lot when you play Battlestar Galactica. You roar across the table at each other.

PLAYER 1: He’s a Cylon!

PLAYER 2: What? I’ve just shot down four Cylon ships!

PLAYER 1: That’s EXACTLY what a Cylon would do!

If you suspect someone IS a Cylon, you can try to get them sent to the Brig. When a player is in the Brig, he can’t have much impact on the game. The problem is, it takes a Skill Test to send someone to the Brig. A vote, essentially. And the other Cylon isn’t going to let it happen. Unless the other Cylon knows that Brig-bound person isn’t a Cylon, of course.

Here’s some dialogue that actually happened in my most recent game of Battlestar Galactica, after my girlfriend Joanne had caused chaos by coming out as a Cylon. We all needed to know who the other Cylon was. And fast. We were almost dead.

RICHARD: I want Robert in the Brig!

ROBERT: What? I killed those two Centurions! Why would I do that if I was-

RICHARD: I want him in the Brig!

ROBERT: Look, I’ll go and vote you President, Richard. I trust you. I’ll-

RICHARD: No, that’s it! Robert, it’s you! I don’t trust you! You always do this!

ROBERT: It’s Louise!

LOUISE: How could it be me?

ROBERT: Please, look – I’ll back you as President. I believe both you and Kenny are human. Kenny, will you pass the Presidency to Richard?

KENNY: Sure, aye.

ROBERT: It’s Kenny! He’s a Cylon!

KENNY: What?! Fuck off!

RICHARD: I want Robert in the Brig! I WANT HIM IN THE BRIG!

While this madness was going on, everyone red-faced and bellowing, Joanne was sitting with the Rules Manual, reading over the new abilities she could use as a revealed Cylon, with a big shit-eating grin on her face. When she revealed herself, she also simultaneously bombed two areas of the ship, losing us fuel and food. She’d fucked us.

There was a sweet moment, in the middle of all that shouting, when I stepped out of the scene and saw it for what it was. Proper role-playing, like the kind you hope for in an RPG, happening in a board game. Four people accusing each other (but mainly me) of being a secret Cylon, while the revealed Cylon sat with a satisfied smirk. Five people totally feeling it. Five people totally on that ship, stranded in space.

That experience, of the game lifting off the table and into the room and into your head, is the one that proves a board game a classic. Not just “a great game” or a “huge amount of fun”, but a classic. A game you’ll talk about the next day, the next week.

JOANNE: Remember when I persuaded you all it would be better to lose the food than lose morale? The food that ultimately ran out and lost you all the game?

We all remembered.

The game even starts with a classic moment, as those loyalty cards are dealt. YOU ARE NOT A CYLON or YOU ARE A CYLON. Everyone keeps a straight face. Let no emotion betray you. If you smile, or look at all suspicious at that moment, you’ll probably spend the first few turns with your arse in the Brig. Cleverly, there’s a second loyalty phase halfway through when someone who thinks they aren’t a Cylon could suddenly become one. The tension is constant. But it’s not a negative tension. It’s fun tension. Thrill tension.

Weirdly, for a game that is co-operative most of the time, I think Battlestar Galactica will go over better with a very competitive group. It’s the game that roots out all the preconceptions other players have about you. It’s a game that will establish exactly who your friends think The Bad Guy is. It might very well be you.

Oh, and there are space battles in it too. And dice rolls for combat. Do you need anything else? It’s on Amazon. What more do you need me to say?

THE BOLD BEN HOGG

The bold Ben Hogg of board game distribution behemoth Esdevium Games got in touch to ask me to point you in the direction of this website.

He’d noticed that quite a few of you were unsure where to buy and play board games. Check the website out and put your details in. My favourite find is that there’s a “Compendium of Burnley” in Burnley. That makes me laugh. Not sure why.

Ben’s a good guy. He sends me games and stuff. Go and find out where your games shops are and get some games bought, so that he gets a big bonus.

NEXT WEEK

Next week, I’m moving on to a big old card game that I love. But I’m doing a special request too – if there’s a particular game you want the lowdown on, or just an opinion with some swearing attached, let me know in the comments section below.

Oh, and by the way. I wasn’t a Cylon.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. TotalBiscuit says:

This is the one game that always gets played at our regular gatherings. It never gets old, plus the expansion spices things up significantly. Well worth getting ahold of.

• Jesus says:

I still have mixed feelings about the expansion.
      Pegasus makes space battles too easy for humans …

• TotalBiscuit says:

I’d hardly call 4 basestars and a ton of way more unpleasant space-based crisis cards easy.

• Jesus says:

Afaik, you can only have max of 2 basestars in space at any given moment, new plastic basestars from the expansion are meant to replace the old cardboard ones, not to supplement them…
      And yeah it’s pretty easy.
      Not always, of course, but most of the time.
      Original game had like 20-25% win ratio for humans, while with exp I feel it’s more around 40-50% which, while it may seem balanced, somehow lessens the feeling of success you got in the original game when you win as a human…

• TotalBiscuit says:

You’re doing it wrong. Use 4. Doesn’t matter that you aren’t technically supposed to, use 4, it’s much more fun and balances out the firepower of the second ship.

• Jesus says:

Not a bad idea actually, I just might try that.
      It was too easy for humans to just soak damage with pegasus and this would mean more raiders out faster. Will try.

• jalf says:

I just feel that the expansion (specifically the New Caprica phase) draws out forever. That part is really not much fun, and it lengthens an already long game.

As mentioned above, adding Pegasus also seems to be a significant advantage for the humans, which I’m still not sure about. Oddly enough, I still haven’t tried playing with a Cylon Leader. So far though, my definite impression of the expansion is that it’s ok if you pick the bits you like, and play without the rest of the expansion.

But yes, it is a fantastic game. It’s the reason I finally caved in and watched the show half a year ago.

• President Weasel says:

Personally I’m not sure the expansion added much to the game, although “I can’t believe we didn’t even make it to New Caprica. Twice!” was quite amusing. Oh, and so was throwing someone out of the airlock, even though they were just going to respawn, just for the pure joy of “I’ll be throwing you out the airlock now. Oh, and by the way, I’m a Cylon”.

In the same vein as “Rab’s always a Cylon”, Ruth’s always a Cylon for us. We don’t even need words for it now; just two fingers raised in front of the eyes, back and forwards across the face to mimic that knight rider thing the old centurions did, then stabbed towards her accusingly.

2. RogB says:

yay, been refreshing all morning for this week’s installment.

BSG doesnt look my bag as it seems like a 3+ players game. (I love the show though). I’ve spent the week looking for solo stuff, and light 2 player games to try and convince the missus to give it a go.

I’ll say this though, by god it can get expensive. Agricola, 50 quid? ouch.

Thanks (+ben) for the shopfinder link, ive just spotted one 15 minutes ago that I didnt know of. :)

• Tom O'Bedlam says:

Agricola is pricey, but by ‘eck its worth it. The intial pace of the game lulls you gently and, before you quite know what’s happening, suddenly you’ve got a family of six and jesus christ, will I lose more points for having a starving family that I’d get for not having to kill the sheep.

I’m looking forward to hearing what Rab has to say about it.

• Riaktion says:

The Space Hulk card game “Death Angel” is a good solo game. Can be played with up to 6 people also. Try that if you haven’t already, tis fun :o)

3. DrGonzo says:

Never seen Battlestar? Failed.

• Matt says:

More like ‘succeeded.’

Board game sounds like a lot of fun though.

• Rinox says:

While I wouldn’t exactly call ‘fail’ on someone who hasn’t seen Battlestar, saying that they ‘succeeded’ for not doing is quite the stretch. The remake was probably the best SF series ever made, even if it trailed off a bit at the end. A lot of season 3 in particular is a brilliant sociological criticism of world politics at the time (and damn good TV in general).

• pagad says:

“best SF series ever made”

Er…

It may have had pretensions to that claim for the first and most of the second series, but series three and four were dire, and the finale sucked beyond belief.

Go watch Babylon 5 instead.

• 2ds says:

Calling Battlestar SF is a massive massive fail, dont’ bother watching the series if you actually appreciate SF. A better name for it would be “religious freaks in space”, the sheer amount of ignorance and myth in it outstrips starwars by a long margin.

• Rinox says:

Eh, semantics. It’s like comparing a Phlip K. Dick novel with those of Asimov or Clarke. Completely different approaches, both SF.

Besides, if a lot of ‘hard SF’ novels are anything to go by, any definitions of ‘correct’ SF series will probably be a joke in 50 years, so that puts things in perspective. “Hah, Dark Energy?! What were they even thinking, those quaint TV producers!”

• MadMatty says:

@ Rinox – agreed.

I only got as far as midway through Season 3 tho, before things, as most people seem to agree on, got really dire. And i quit.
      Didn´t watch the final, and i suspect my memory of the series is all the much better for it.
      Season 1 & 2 rocks, and theres a few odd good episodes after that, too.

4. mlaskus says:

This looks like it is a lot of fun. I want a PC version!

• pupsikaso says:

Yeah, all these cool boardgames could be so easily made for the PC, and that would instantly solve the problem of not having anyone to play with.

• pkt-zer0 says:

There’s MWS/Lackey/OCTGN/whatever other universal card/board-game engines. But otherwise, yeah, not too many conversions. Or even indies doing an original board-game-on-a-PC. There really should be more of that.

• mlaskus says:

It does seem like an unfilled niche.

5. Lewie Procter says:

“Oh, and by the way. I wasn’t a Cylon.”

That’s exactly what Cylon would say.

6. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Holy wow. This sounds brilliant. I already accuse everyone i know of being a Cylon.
    Also, i can go around doing my Saul voice, maybe get an eyepatch.

Next week, I request you do a bit on Settlers of Catan.
    Is it just a well recieved game, or is it one of the best, or did it start a movement, or do you hate it?

• Torgen says:

I too would like Settler of Catan to get “the treatment,” as I’ve never ever played, nor even watched it be played, and it seems to be quite popular with some of my friends. I’d like to at least know the difference between my arse and a hole in ground, so to speak, before trying to jump into a group of veteran players.

• jalf says:

It’s dull… Don’t know how much more there is to say about it. ;)

• Pani says:

I was in the same boat as you until I first played some trial games on this site: http://www.playcatan.com/

And then bought it for reals and now play it with the family. I prefer it over the greats like monopoly and clue/cluedo.

7. benjamin says:

Sounds a great game. Shame I have no friends who would enjoy playing it. :(

8. no says:

Oh god, is BSG going to join the ranks of Star Trek and Star Wars and be exhaustively formed into countless new shows, movies, books, comics, video games, board games, card games, costumes, and so on for the next fifty years?

It was a thing. It was an enjoyable thing. Then it ended. Let’s move on. I don’t want to end up feeling exasperated every time I see BSG mentioned somewhere the way I already do whenever I see something mentioned about Star Wars, today.

• Tom O'Bedlam says:

You might want to try playing it before you dismiss it so readily.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Yes, let’s please get unjustifiably angry over a really, really good boardgame in order to rage at the idea of franchises.

How about on a gaming site, you discuss the game?

• Jesus says:

It’s just a boardgame, and it’s fucking brilliant, get over it.

• jalf says:

Eh…. The nice thing about the BSG game is that it’s actually a good game. it’s not just fan service, it’s not just trying to monetize a popular brand by appealing to fanboys.

It is a Good Game(tm).

What’s more, BSG (the show) is also a great premise for a board game. Star Wars and Star Trek weren’t, really. (Although Star Wars can make for a pretty good roleplaying game)

Sure, they could have made the exact same game, but changed the names, used some other artwork and so on, if that would’ve made you happier. But the game is BSG. As mentioned in the article, it regularly mutates into a kind of roleplaying, even if you haven’t seen the show. Robert hasn’t seen it, I hadn’t seen it when I first played the game. And yet, we got sucked in. I didn’t know who Starbuck was, but I knew perfectly well that I’d better get my ass out there in a viper and shoot those raiders if we wanted to survive.

So I really don’t see the problem with taking a setting that is perfect for a board game, and making a very good board game over it.

• President Weasel says:

I agree entirely. It’s fan service – good fanservice, where the characters and the game rules work properly and feel right. It’s also an excellent game that doesn’t need the BSG stuff and would still be a tight and enjoyable game without it. The fanservice stuff enhances the game, but we’ve had Rab saying he loves the game and has never seen the show, and at least one person from the comments saying they got into the show because they enjoyed the game so much.

I’m pretty sure the game contains some spoilers if you’ve never watched the show.
      Also if I’m allowed a semi spoiler of my own: don’t watch the last episode, it’s a load of mawkish toss and it retroactively makes the series about 1/10 worse.

9. JamesS says:

Next up — ?

10. Tom O'Bedlam says:

I’ve been meaning yto pick up my own copy of this for a while, after playig a friend’s copy a lot a couple of years ago. You’re not wrong about the roleplaying stuff either, even more so when you’ve seen the series and can’t help but suspect certain people just because…….. I can’t say any more without spoilers dammit….

11. Max says:

Good timing, im going out to play this game in about an hour or so. Already played it a few times and I can only say: Go out and get it if you like board games. Now I just need to get the expansion…

12. BaronWR says:

Sounds interesting, although isn’t it a remake of Shadows over Camelot? A friend of mine keeps trying to persuade me to play this: “You can throw people out the airlock!”, was I think how he tried to persuade me. This has certainly encouraged me to take him up on the offer (playing the game, not the airlocking).

Anyway, back to fondling my newly purchased copy of Arkham Horror…

• jalf says:

I’ve never played Camelot, but as I understand it, in that game the traitor is known to everyone.

Here, you don’t know who the Cylon is. And in fact, you don’t even know how many Cylons there are.

In the first half of the game, there might be zero Cylons, because all the Cylon cards are in the pile being dealt out at the halfway point. Depending on the number of players, there might be multiple Cylons as well.

So it adds a lot more paranoia and tension and accidental backstabbing as you suspect everyone, and frequently throw an innocent person in the brig (just like in the show, I guess)

• mister k says:

Yes, it is a remake of shadows, in that it is superior in pretty much every way. its much more fun to be thr traitor, its harder for the non-traitors to win, and theres more to do for everyone, and the choices are more interesting. Worth noting that the same company made both

13. malkav11 says:

It’s certainly a far better take on the concept than Shadows over Camelot (which I cordially hate) but I still feel like the actual gameplay, as such, is very sparse and not that interesting. The suspicion, paranoia and politicking are clearly the meat of the experience, but you need the right group for that to really take off and I don’t have that kind of group.

Lambchops says:

Sounds fun.

On an unrelated not is there going to be another series of Burnistoun? It surely deserves a second run as it was far more hit than miss.

15. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Sounds interesting. The thing is you’ll probably need at least four people, preferably more than that.

As for suggestions: Mahjong, if that counts as a board game.

16. Scott Hall says:

Hey yo! Eh chico, don’t mess with the cylons!

17. The Great Skratsby says:

Oh yes, I played it with freinds a few months back and my thoughts were pretty much the same… Only I had a big shit eating grin after being given nuclear launch code controls (I think it was) just before revealing myself to be a cylon. Amazing fun.

18. RogB says:

My money is on Dominion

19. Scroll says:

This seems like a perfect jumping off point for my friends and family as it’s a generally liked show.

20. Langman says:

Is the game similar to the TV series in that the first turn is great fun, the second turn is a bit less fun but still good, then the rest are god awful?

21. sigma83 says:

Horus Heresy! Horus Heresy!

22. MartinNr5 says:

Then who was??

23. Barry Wonten says:

Great game, played it some! And loved it. Would recommend it to 5 players or more, to get things boiling.

Request for next boardgame review? ASL! Go ahed Robert! Do it! Write about it. I want to see what you have to say about this monster of a game! How much it will piss you off, drive you mad, or make you absolutely crazy….or in the rare case….a total wargame addict. It’s like heroin, just that only 2 in a 100 will get hooked. But I’ve heard, that if you’re the unlucky bastard who gets hooked….you’re doomed. You’ll first loose you’re regular boardgaming-group, then you’ll loose sleep…then you’ll stop visiting any website not related to ASL….then it all goes down the drain. Your wife, your house, your health. After a couple of years everything that’s left is you sitting in a cellar with all the out of print ASL-expansion talking ASL-language. Sitting there…pale….halfway through the manual.

• MartinNr5 says:

ASL?

38, male, Sweden.

• Barry Wonten says:

Advanced Squad Leader

• user@example.com says:

I remember reading several extensive essays and discussions on the best way to store ASL chits. It was fascinating, in an “I’m never ever going to play this game ever” sort of way. On the bright side, I did learn about the uses of tweezers with a blob of blu-tack stuck on the end from ASL players!

• MadMatty says:

I´ve played the old Close Combat series for PC in 2-player vs campaign (the 3 & 4 part of the series) and it was a lot of fun. A friend said it played just like ASL, and after having a look at the boardgame, i was inclined to agree with him.
      Biggest difference between 3 & 4 were that in 3 you would buy units from points, whereas in 4, you would get preset reinforcements after each battle (depending on some variables i think, not totally fixed, but out of your control).
      Both were ace tho.

24. Scott says:

You should cover the classic board game Diplomacy! So many lost friendships.

Coren says:

I went on a tiny board-game buying spree a few months ago, Battlestar Galactica was on my “maybe” list, but it got kicked off because I almost never have people over to play with, it’s mostly just my wife and me.

So I got Arkham Horror, Ticket to Ride and Dungeon Twister Prison. Ticket to Ride was an instant hit, since it’s easy to pick up and quick to play. Dungeon Twister had nice tutorials (a nifty little figurines), but ultimately the learning curve proved a bit too steep for us beginners. The game has been sitting on my shelf ever since we played that third tutorial (there’s quite a few). I still intend to pick it up again, because I hear it’s brilliant, but it’s just hard to decide to allocate 2+ hours of our free time to learning how to play a board game.
    Arkham Horror fared even worse, I’m afraid. We tried it twice, but every turn felt like the last and it never really caught on. I will try again, though. Eventually.

26. Tom Camfield says:

Who was the Cylon? Was it Richard? Who won the game? W-?

27. Fidoh says:

You should do Space Alert!

28. LeFronk says:

Since these horrible excuse for a board game also known as Risk is mentioned again, i cant help myself to point out the better alternative.
    A Game of Thrones
    Like Risk its about moving Armies around and smack your friends. But unlike Risk it doesn’t use dices for combat (or anything at all), there is a limit how many troops a player can support and its plays in the fantasy setting from “A Song of Ice and Fire”.

• Fenris says:

Yeah, A game of thrones is really decent! A mix of diplomacy and risk but with cool battle and support systems!

29. Mike says:

Hi I’ve been watching this excellent column since its recent inception. It managed to get me off my ass into boardgaming, after postponing it for years. I’ve already got Castle Ravenloft and I’m having tons of fun with it.

I would be interested in your thoughts on Horus Heresy, A Game of Thrones the Boardgame and War of the Ring.

Thanks in advance,

A new boardgame geek:)

30. WIbbs says:

Hey,

Just thought I’d comment that based on your last article I looked into cooperative games a little more, and my wife and I invested in Pandemic as a result which we’ve both really enjoyed. What are your thoughts on Arkhams Asylum?

Thanks,

Wibbs

31. Barman1942 says:

I played this for the first time a couple weeks ago with some good friends. First half of the game, I was Chief Tyrol, trying to fix up the ship every time we got attacked. Latter half…drew a sleeper agent card, and oh man, did I have fun plotting and planning to, well, fuck everyone over. Bluffed so good I even had a friend absolutely convinced it was someone else and not me. I was found out in the end, though, and teamed up with the other Cylon. We were about to unleash a rain of nukes on the Galactica when the humans lost due to a food shortage. It was a blast of a time.

32. mister k says:

I don’t like pegasus, although I’ve only played it a couple of times. It priveleges the admiral too much, considering how powerful that role is anyway.

33. RogB says:

to those after an opinion on Horus Heresy:

_Nocturnal says:

I used to just love this column and now I adore it.

35. the wiseass says:

If you want to play a really paranoid board game have a look at “Shadows over Camelot”.

I’m not good at explaining stuffs like this, so I’ll just copy paste the game description:
    At first glance, this task seems simple enough. After all, shouldn’t a band of young and noble Knights – fleet of foot and sound of mind – easily defeat a game that plays itself? Alas your quest is further complicated by the ever-present possibility of a Traitor in your midst, biding his time, waiting to strike at the worst possible moment…

• Jesus says:

tl;dr : Poor version of BSG concept.
      Or should I say, BSG is like SoC only actually a good game, don’t bother with SoC

• the wiseass says:

How rude.

• jalf says:

Well, you’re advertising a game whose main selling point BSG *also* has. And from what I’ve read of Shadows over Camelot, BSG pulls it off a lot better.

36. Froibo says:

Great frakin’ game.

37. Ingenu says:

Great game, played it a few times, the extension is rather tough though.

38. Cerebrium says:

The next one should be Chaos in the Old World.

Search your feelings etc.

39. RagingLion says:

Just played Dominion for the first time yesterday. Played 2 games in a row which is almost unprecedented for my friends and me. Just want to play it again and again now. There’s a lot going on in that game and I want try to get my head around it more to find some really good strategies (and yet it can be different every time!).

40. FunnyB says:

Spoony over at The Spoony Experiment taped one of his playsessions of this game. The whole video can be seen in full at his webpage.

LINK

41. Idleivey says:

I bet the card game is Race for the Galaxy.

Also I second the Space Alert recommendation!

42. Trezoristo says:

It’s an absolutely fantastic game, even more enjoyable if you’ve actually seen the show. It’s amazing how well this game matched the series’ feeling of continuous almost failing, and the relieve when the ship jumps away meaning you get to live another couple of turns.

43. Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

Chaos in the old world. But I already know you like it…

44. TooNu says:

I want to see a monolithic Descent write up. No I don’t. I don’t want that because it’s too much, I’m asking too much.

What I want is a game that I absolutly must buy. And I allready own Chaos in the Old world and the epic Horus Heresy (even though, it’s a bit samey). What game should I buy? What game can I play mostly wtih 2 people, because I live in the remote forest of fucking nothing happening besides the odd badger coming through for a sniff. 2 players Robert, occasionaly 4.

What game exists in this world with those strict requirements eh? NONE, there is nothing, my life is fucking over. I’m away to create gaming friends like what they do in weird science, but gaming friends, not sexy attractive women. Gaming friends that don’t start wild parties with the bikers from Mad Max invading your house.

45. kalidanthepalidan says:

Agreed. Don’t give up on Arkham. Always thrilling to play through as you never know what will happen to your investigators.

Print out a nice condensed FAQ and turn order guide (check boardgamegeek). That’ll help a lot. Once you get the hang of it turns go by pretty fast. It’s also incredibly fun to solo (just play as 3 or 4 investigators).

• kalidanthepalidan says:

Damn that was @Coren and @TotalBuscuit.

• Chris D says:

I’m another one who picked up Arkham Horror this week. I’ve been attempting to solo it with a single investigator but the rumour cards seem designed to screw you over if you’re on your own. I did try with three and got bogged down trying to remember what each investigator was up to each turn. I’ll give it another go now I know the rules a bit better.

Most games have ground to a halt as I realise I got something wrong last turn and now things should be completely different ( and usually much worse ). My plan from now on is just to ignore this kind of thing and press on regardless in the hopes of actually finishing a game.

46. PatientRock says:

Red November is nice but has some major flaws. Plus a tiny board!

47. Xagarath says:

I’ve been looking at Claustrophobia with great interest. Would love to hear your opinions on it.

48. TooNu says:

NO! I’ve got it. Ignore my previous response because I’ve got it this time. Tannhäuser, I want to know about that. Do that one Rob please, pretty please with cherrys on top.

49. Epsz says:

Please do Small World next =)

50. Pantsman says:

I only ever played this once. I was the only Cylon, and I won, and it was glorious. The best part was that someone early on got to use an ability that let him see my loyalty card, but not show it to anyone else – so that he’d be the only one other than me to know the truth. He spent the rest of the game desperately trying to convince the other players that it was me. Gradually he won them over, but not soon enough. By the time I was revealed as a Cylon it only took one of my special Cylon powers to end their desperate space journey.

I’ve really got to play again some time.

• Pantsman says:

Oh, and shortly before I was thrown in the brig I managed to become both the President and the Admiral at once. It may have been my maniacal cackling that finally tipped people off.

• jalf says:

Combined Cylon/President/Admiral can be a brutal combo.

In one game, one of the other players ended up with all three in the sleeper agent phase. By sheer luck we found out that she was Cylon only a turn or two later, but by then, she was just impossible to dislodge. She used one of those quorum cards that make it harder to elect a new president, and made her harder to throw in the brig, and just managed to constantly keep us off balance so we were never able to get rid of her. (I think one of the humans was in the brig at the time when we realized she was a Cylon, and we might have been under attack as well, so everyone were stretched as it was)

She never even had to “offiically” reveal herself, she could just sit there openly picking the slowest possible route when we jumped, taking the worst decisions in all the (MANY) “president chooses” or “admiral chooses” crisis cards, and just making sure to keep enough cards on her hand to fend off the occasional attempt at throwing her in the brig.

She won…