PT Boats Gets Meaty Add On

By Jim Rossignol on October 12th, 2010 at 2:27 pm.

Handsome sailor and shooty boat simulator PT Boats is getting an expandalone, which is to say it’s getting a sequel that doesn’t quite justify the sequel tag, because it’s more of the same. And more of the World War II toys, too, including new aircraft, and plenty of new boats with guns. The expansion, called South Gambit, about which you can get of details just here, buffs up the graphics and the AI, as well as setting the scene on new seas. Battlefront inform us that the game will take place along the North African coast, and in the Black Sea, where there will be some new Russian units to play with. It’ll go on sale later this month, and owners of the original game get it for just $10.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Matt says:

Does anyone know of a boat sim where I can sail/motor around the entire globe? Flight sims have done it for years; surely someone’s done similar in the boating arena.

• wm says:

For a true sim, that would take months. That…is what you want, is it?

• Matt says:

Yes. Ideally, I can play the boating sim on my laptop while I circumnavigate the globe in an umpteen-foot schooner.

More seriously, I hadn’t actually considered that. Presumably there’d be some sort of time-dilation ability to skip the boring bits. The interesting part (to me at least) would be sailing along coastal and bay regions.

2. NieA7 says:

This reminds me of Dreadnoughts for some reason (best link I can find). About a million years ago my dad and I used to play it on our A3000, I even added a few ships and a couple of scenarios (probably the most modding I’ve ever done in my life). It was unusual even then given it’s historical spread but I’ve got very fond memories of it. Does anyone know if there’s anything…
    a) (hope) Vaguely similar to it?
    b) (wish) Set in the first world war?
    c) (moon on a stick) Internet multiplayer and cross-platform?

3. Jim Rossignol says:

Sigh. No one cares about PT Boats. I like it because it sounds a bit like “Pretty Boats”.

• NieA7 says:

Sounds fun to be honest, but reading about it made me all nostalgic for when I had enough time to really get into sims. I’ll get the demo but there’s so many demos I’ve got for games that loads of people reckon are good I’ll probably never get round to it. Mini wot-is-thought would be lovely. Hell, there’s few enough battleship sims out there you could do a head to head or summit. If you wanted to. Sir.

Also, battleships are pretty by default. Especially Warspite. Before the face lift anyway.

• Tetragrammaton says:

Some (we) care, although sadly I haven’t had much time to put into the demo. I find my need for sim games is cyclical, usually sparked by a direct experience- for example, reading Das Boot for the first time resulted in me being slavishly addicted to silent hunter 3.

• stahlwerk says:

Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, PT boat.
      Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, PT boat.
      In all situations!

4. jackflash says:

This looks cool, thanks for the heads up.

Comment on this story