Well, It Is Slippery: Gray Matter Slips

By Quintin Smith on October 12th, 2010 at 8:23 am.

Marcus regretted his new fridge almost immediately.

Gray Matter, the new point’n'click extravaganza from Jane “Gabriel Knight” “She Designed Gabriel Knight” Jensen, has slipped from sometime in 2010 to a February 2011 release date. Boo! I don’t know much about Gray Matter, so in the course of my cursory research this morning I hiked over to the Wikipedia page. Lord, has this game had a bad time of it.

Gray Matter was originally announced in 2003 as Project Jane-J and slated for release in fourth quarter of 2004. The game was put on hold in 2004 and later revived by a German publisher Anaconda in 2006, for a release in fourth quarter of 2007. The game was delayed further in early 2007 for a Q1 2008 date. In early 2008 development studio was changed from Hungarian Tonuzaba to French Wizarbox delaying the game to 2009. The game is currently slated for February 25, 2011.

Click through for a look at the GamesCom 2010 trailer. Probably for the best if you leave any high expectations at the door.

How far would I go to save my love? How far would I go to tempt fate? Which limits would I conquer? What truth would I uncover?

Hm. Can I get back to you on that? I need to go see a man about a less maudlin videogame. I mean dog.

, , .

1. Lobotomist says:

Sadly

I am sure its a superb game. But probably horrid piece of bad programing and graphic :(

Lars Westergren says:

>Probably for the best if you leave any high expectations at the door.

The attempt at atmosphere building trailer in the first half of the trailer didn’t impress, but the gameplay and story glimpses in the second half were intriguing.

Assuming the many dev team switches haven’t messed things up, I’ll probably be getting this. Take your time.

3. fuggles says:

Never heard of it, but it looks promising! Graphics in the trailer are no worse than those in dawn of war 2′s cutscenes and the ingame looks good for a mid/low level point and click. I shall be keeping eyes on this- thanks Quinns!

4. JackShandy says:

Perhaps they’re having trouble finding the five random items they need to combine to get the doorman to leave so that they can get into the publisher’s door.

The trailer’s writing doesn’t impress. “Explore paranormal phenomenoms!”

• Rinox says:

Nah, but it’s Jane Jensen so…I’m willing to bet the actual writing is gonna be a of a quality level. :-)

5. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

The plural of phenomenon is phenomena! Ok, fussy whingebaggery is done. For now.

Expectations are undecided, I’d say. The pedigree certainly suggests we should pay attention to this one. The words on the trailer are a little overwrought, but marketing is often a bit silly…

I had a point somewhere, but I need to get back to sleep

• mondomau says:

Also, they spelled ‘Grey’ wrong :p

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Well, that’s an acceptable spelling in the States. I’ll forgive Americanisms…

Also, it could be a name, rather than a colour…

Have another ellipsis: I have too many…

• JackShandy says:

That’s what I thought, but from Wikipedia: “A phenomenon (from Greek φαινόμενoν), plural phenomena or phenomenons,”

• JackShandy says:

That’s what I thought, but from Wikipedia: “A phenomenon (from Greek φαινόμενoν), plural phenomena or phenomenons…”

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Yeah, well, wikipedia also reckons that ‘cactuses’ is acceptable…

6. Sunjammer says:

One phenomenons please

7. Risingson says:

Rumors say that this game is a disgrace like everything DTP touches. DTP is evil. They just release games without giving any support to their developers, spending all the money in non interactive sequences.

8. mr distended rectum says:

See? SEE!.. Women should stay out of game dev…

Tee hee.

stahlwerk says:

Gabriel Knight and KQ6 were two of my favourite Sierra games. It’s a shame that this project seems cursed, but also strangely fitting with her previous games’ themes, in a “life imitating art” way.
    Here’s a set of interview videos with J. Jensen where she talks about the game and working with Wizarbox.

10. Matt says:

That still from the trailer immediately brought ‘In the Court of the Crimson King’ to mind.

11. Igor Hardy says:

It’s only the international publisher’s screw up. In Germany, Austria and Switzerland Gray Matter is coming in 1,5 week, published by DTP, and if you can believe the earlier announcements, the English version will be included:

12. JohnnyMaverik says:

Will this ever come out? -_-

I’ve been expecting it at any moment now for the past 2 years, and the sad thing is after that long I know it’ll never live up to any of the expectations I have.