An Anonymous Email Arrives From Valve

By John Walker on October 15th, 2010 at 1:33 am.

Murkier and murkier.

You may have heard the recent fuss about yet another whistleblowing blog, this time about Valve and IceFrog, regarding the Dota 2 project. With our own problems, we really do try to avoid reporting this sort of arse-blowing nonsense.

But I just received an email from a source, who wishes to remain anonymous, from inside Valve. I really swear I’m not making that up. I’m reproducing it, in full, below. (I think this might also count as the world exclusive reveal of their next game, Fart Cops.)

I am also an employee at Valve. After reading the brave, true, anonymously posted statements by a fellow Valve employee, I felt compelled to share my own, because Valve is a place in Bellevue, WA where I also work. I’m sure right now you are thinking, “How do I know you are really from Valve?” Click here for proof. How do I know you just clicked on that link? Because I work at Valve and I’m looking at the tape of you clicking on that link right now.
Not convinced? Proving my employment at Valve is so easy, you can replicate it yourself at home.

1. Search for “Valve” on Google.
2. The first result is for Valvesoftware.com. Do nothing.
3. Click it.
4. Scroll up to the top left section of the page.
5. Look closely at the logo.
6. Notice the small “e” in the logo.
7. That was my idea.

Voila. Or in the words of Emeril Legasse, “BAM!” Here is proof that “BAM!” is Emeril Legasse’s catchphrase.

1. Go to wikipedia.org. THIS IS IMPORTANT.
2. Look up “Emeril Legasse” in the search field.
3. Notice something interesting about the first paragraph?
4. That something is PROOF.
5. Bam.

Now that I’ve established who I am and the lengths I’m willing to go to “kick it up a notch” (See Proof #2, above), I want to tell you the real truth. I work on an unrelated project from IceFrog called “Fart Cops.” Now, if you read this blogspot post about IceFrog, you’re probably asking yourself, “Hold on now. Do the police patrol FOR farts, or do they fight crime WITH farts?” Let me just tell you that you will find out the terrifying truth in 2014. Or you would have, if not for IceFrog.

Ever since IceFrog joined Valve he has been poisonous to my “Fart Cops” project. All of the slowly mounting enthusiasm I am convinced I had been building around “Fart Cops” immediately went away once IceFrog and DOTA showed up. He has so far proved incredibly hard to work with on “Fart Cops” and is absolutely impossible to talk to about abandoning his stupid project to work fulltime on mine. This is not just my opinion. Everybody knows that IceFrog refuses to work on “Fart Cops.” Much like society in a dystopian future hates farts. IceFrog’s made me so angry that I just accidentally ruined the twist ending to my own game. Also, IceFrog removed my Backspace key. (This has been controversial and everybody knows this.)

Now I will provide proof.

1. Go to wikipedia.org.
2. Misspell “Emerel Lagasse” in the search field.
3. Try to hit “Backspace”.
4. If you’re on my computer, YOU CAN’T.

Those of you not in the game industry like I am might not see how important all of this is. Imagine my game idea (“Fart Cops”) was an Arby’s, my Backspace key was a Jamba Juice, and IceFrog is still IceFrog, and HE SMASHES BOTH RESTAURANTS. He would be in jail if he did that! But the rules of metaphor are different and unfair, like being imprisoned for fart crime. Only you can help me change that. Write Gabe Newell and tell him you are willing to pay $59.99 for “Fart Cops”. He said earlier that if ten thousand people “were stupid enough” to write him asking for it, he’d make it. Then he laughed and went out for lunch with IceFrog.

, , , .

1. KBKarma says:

My God, proof! Sinister proof, as if further proof, sinister or otherwise, was/were needed! What has been proven here!

… Seriously, what?

• MrEvilGuy says:

RPS has saved the internet!

All hail RPS!

*hails*

• BAReFOOt says:

1. This is definitely a bad joke, which smells awfully much like a troll.
      2. It’s either anonymous. Or from Valve. If you know it’s from Valve, it’s by definition not anonymous anymore.
      3. What proof? Well, let’s analyze the text:

And what does he knowing we clicked a link have to do with us knowing who he is?
      That’s right: Nothing.

6. Notice the small “e” in the logo.
      7. That was my idea.

No. It was mine! :P
      See, that also proves nothing. Everyone can state something. That’s not proof, but something that creates requirement for proof. It only makes it very very easy now, to track down a potential suspect. Just find out whose idea that was.

3. Notice something interesting about the first paragraph?
      Well, he did not prove which one is the cause and which one the effect.
      And in fact, that line about the “bam“ existed since the very first version of the article. So he simply looked that up on Wikipedia, and then acted as if he just edited it in. Maybe he even created that article. In that case his IP was 24.238.201.213 (user-0cetiel.cable.mindspring.com).

I want to tell you the real truth.
      He couldn’t be more obvious. When I learned one thing, it’s, that when people mention “the real truth”, they usually fear that you may not believe them. Which is, because they themselves don’t believe it. In other words: People usually prefix lies with “the real truth” or something similar. Especially if they want to believe it themselves.

There you have it. :)
      What I don’t understand, is why this is even an article here? Or did Murdoch buy RPS?

• BAReFOOt says:

Hmm, the blog software has no style for the <q> tag. So it looks like normal text. :( If you have Firebug installed, add this style to a stylesheet to make it visible:
      q { font-style: italic; display: block; margin-top: 2em; background: #DDD; -moz-border-radius: 10px; padding: 10px 10px 10px 20px; }

• Nick says:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH

• Metal Chao says:

I think that noise Nick just made was the sound of the whole thing going right over your head

…also anyone else have real problems finding where to click to start typing in the captcha? They should put a border around that part ):

• analog picasso says:

I deal with the css issues via a simple userstyle I wrote.

• Lilliput King says:

@Barefoot

:D

• Jacques says:

Barefoot, use blockquote, not q. The comment section uses HTML, not BB code.

• Kast says:

Ah, but is it Wooosh or Nyeeeaowm!

• lhzr says:

stop the whooshing, autism ain’t funny.

• Steelfists says:

To everyone who posted after BAReFOOt : WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH SQUARED.

2. Dandi8 says:

That.
    Is.
    Awesome.
    I applaud.

• Spacewalk says:

AWESOMe.

• SWOne says:

Jawsome! Wait, wrong game

Thermal Ions says:

.. and in other news, “Valve” becomes the most searched term on Google, while “Emeril Lagasse” has hit the top of the hottest topic list in Wikipedia.

Ah, the awesomeness of the internet.

3. Nick says:

BAM!

• icupnimpn2 says:

He must be a true industry insider since he name-checked Notch

4. substance says:

What a let-down =/

5. niffk says:

*golf clap*

6. Bruce Willis says:

oh my god I can’t stop laughing baahahahahahah

7. RyePunk says:

What the what now? So all the hat malarky was just a front masking their secret love of fart jokes?
    Confirmation will be if a whoopie cushion enters the TF2 store.

8. noobnob says:

Emailing GabeN right now…

9. Thants says:

They better not release Fart Cops 2 until Fart Cops get some proper support. Anyone want to start a preemptive petition?

• MD says:

One step ahead of you, Thants.

BOYCOTT FART COPS 3

• DeliriumWartner says:

Don’t worry, Fart Cops 3 will never come out, despite being promised for years.

• Ted says:

na man, fart cops 3(D) still comes out, it’s Fart Cops: FOREVER that takes 15 years to make
      and valve dies 14 years in and the project is handed over 34DD realms to be finished.

• jalf says:

Preemptive petition? We can do better!

PREEMPTIVE BOYCOTT!

I refuse to buy Fart Cops until they refrain from releasing Fart Cops 2!

That’ll learn ‘em!

• Dave says:

If they release Fart Cops before Mucus Firemen Episode 3 comes out, or me and both my friends will seriously boycott Steam.

10. wazups2x says:

“EDIT: I have some new information to give you, based on things I already knew but forgot, but that a GameInformer article just reminded me that I knew. Erik Johnson (or as he’s known around the Valve offices in Bellevue, WA, “Erik”) is another person that I know at Valve where I work.”

lol, great stuff. Exactly what I thought when I read the blog post.

11. P7uen says:

Absolutely superb.

12. Ryan says:

I’ve written Gabe Newell and I hope injustices like this will be prevented in the future. Hopefully we can also get IceFrog destroyed or at the very least deported to protect the gaming industry from his back stabbing, poisoning, and smashing ways.

Thank you for bringing this injustice to the public’s attention.

13. oatish says:

man I’m a huge fan of valve games but im glad they are putting the likes of half-life 3 on hold to develop this exciting new franchise

*Here’s hoping*

14. MD says:

Funny stuff. I genuinely don’t understand the original one, and quite honestly I don’t think I care, so I enjoyed the equally lucid proofs in this article.

15. Lobster says:

This has made my day.

You would not believe how many idiots fall for this faux whistle-blower crap. =( It makes you sad to be human.

• James says:

Know what makes me sad to be a human? People claiming knowledge they don’t have. It makes them sound like an idiot to me.

I have no idea about the claims being made, I doubt strongly that you do either.

• Eagle0600 says:

@James:

Are you serious? Did you read this? It’s obviously a joke. The “proofs” and “backspace key” clinch it.

• suibhne says:

Uh, Eagle? Lobster and James are both obviously referring to the original anonyblog “expose” re. IceFrog.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I think the thing is, Eagle is trolling.

Which makes him an awful, horrible, scum of the basement type person.

• Alexander says:

the problem is, we HAVE NO PROOF whether he is trolling, which complicates the situation. But I have certain inside information that he is, since I live in his house.

• DrGonzo says:

We have no proof either way that God exists. We have no proof either way that the Knog beast of Nottingham exists. But any sane person still know both are bollocks.

• The Colonel says:

Nicely slipped in the Mr Gonzo. I’m personally not going to Church until they release a version you don’t have to wait 3 months for a patch for.

16. HeroJez says:

I knew that Icefrog was a cunt. Fart Cops is doomed, and along with it, the future of PC gaming.

AIDS.

;’(

17. The Dark One says:

Now do one about one of Banksy’s anonymous underlings, John!

Gabbo says:

Gabe is going to be deleting a lot of silly emails tomorrow morning.

• Frools says:

Alternatively, announcing Fart Cops
      I’d play that

• Anonymousity says:

He probably does a fair amount of it every day, but how many fart cops emails does he delete every day?

19. konrad_ha says:

Checking out Valve news – not Half Life related – FTFY.

20. Jack says:

Thank you for your words, fart corps insider.

And for your courage.

21. sebmojo says:

i smell an erik wolpaw. you want proof you can’t handle the proof because it’s just out the OVEN numbnuts. Wait a few seconds… oh you have oven gloves? alright then the proof’s over there just be careful ok it’s really hot now LOOK AT the last word in the email! ‘WORK’.

Take off one letter because noone at a game company does real work – that makes WOK that’s three letters and is chinese just like ICEFROG

now count back 12 words you get ERIK how many letters? FOUR!!

Four times three is … wait for it…

TWELVE.

22. thebigJ_A says:

Forgive me for asking a real question when we’re trying to be funny, but I know little about the inner workings of game journalism or industry insider type stuff.

So, what with joke articles like this, does this mean noone is taking that anonymous angry-fired-guy blog seriously? Is that what’s what?

23. James says:

Fart is a funny word, ha ha!

This wasn’t that funny, sorry.

24. PleasingFungus says:

Er… what? No he didn’t.

(Thank god for Valve either way, mind you. Mmm. Delicious.)

• PleasingFungus says:

That was of course a reply to “icupnimpn2″… though now I get his joke, so I guess it’s moot either way?

Oh, RPS reply system! Never change.

25. Dario ff says:

And today, a new internet meme is born. It can’t be more annoying than those vuvuzelas…

26. EGTF says:

Fart Cops: The Barney Calhoun Tales.

27. Armante says:

Valve = Awesomeness

28. Max says:

Smacks of Old Man Murray, it does!

29. Collic says:

I bet this really is from valve, because it’s so damn funny.

30. Eggy says:

This would be funnier if the rumors about icefrog hadn’t already been confirmed by multiple other sources.

• Pantsman says:

Such as?

• Nick says:

The Tooth Fairy.

• James says:

Yeah, you sorta have to provide a reference for claims like that. At least if you want the claim to be taken seriously.

• subedii says:

You just don’t want to accept the TRUTH that it’s already been confirmed by multiple forum sources posted by people you know nothing about other than their handle.

• Eggy says:

I know several guys who’ve worked at s2 for years. I don’t really care whether I’m believed or not, just putting my opinion out there. Thought that’s what comments were for :j

31. negativedge says:

1. This isn’t funny.

2. RPS pretends it is a legitimate blog. This is not legitimate. In fact, it is stupid and comes off as needlessly antagonistic.

• DeepSleeper says:

“Legitimate Blog”.

Ha. As if those two words have ever gone together.

• Nick says:

3. ???

4. Profit!

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@ Nick, They come at night and steal underpants!

Southpark ’tis where I get all my information XD

• Bret says:

Well, that should stop since they fired Kieron.

Well, he may still break in, but it isn’t RPS business any more.

• Lilliput King says:

Well, this clearly isn’t even from RPS. If you’ve ever read the TF2 blog/OMM you’ll recognise the tone.

• sneetch says:

1. It is funny.

2. No, really, it is funny. Sometimes satire is needed to wake people up a bit. The original was just an email and email is incredibly easy to fake. I’ve received emails from the President of Nigeria (sadly, shortly after he was deposed in a coup) but I have no idea if he was the actual President of Nigeria. I believe he was the President of Nigeria but I may be wrong. We’re meeting next month to discuss some business arrangements. I’ll find out them.

Oh and they’re about as “legitimate” as any other child born in wedlock… or rather site… created within wedlock. As long as I’ve been reading them they’ve been like this. It’s the reason I read the site.

• jeremypeel says:

What sneetch says.

RPS, being a respectable site run by real proper journalists, doesn’t report wild rumours that could be damaging when reproduced whole.*

However, RPS, being a respectable site run by real proper journalists, would like to comment on one of the biggest games industry stories in a week full of ‘em.

Therefore, John steps in, writes lots of funnies.

*If anyone tries to tell me that reporting the words of Brad Wardell from Brad Wardell is mad rumour-mongering I’ll hit them with the Buggy Stick.

• negativedge says:

sorry sneetch, but nothing gamers think is funny is actually funny.

jaheira says:

@negative

What would you call funny? I’m interested.

• Nick says:

humour in being subjective shocker.

• Gwyn says:

negativeedge is (presumably) a gamer, and what he thinks is funny can’t be funny either.

MY BRAIN

• Kieron Gillen says:

Don’t worry: NegativeEdge is a self-confessed troll. Don’t take anything he says seriously.

KG

32. Tilla says:

DotA is seriously one of the least appealing games in history for me, I can’t see how so many people take it so seriously

• Thants says:

Maybe people have different taste in games than you?

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@ Thants how do so many people not get this?
      Myself I admit the community is/was shameful at best, and me being a acne riddled teen with no girlfriend and nothing better to do meant I was hardly a fair sportsman.

Aside from the ultra competitive side of it, and when your not being beaten by kids half your age and laughed at DotA is a surprisingly complex, fast paced and intricate game, to each their own..

33. mejobloggs says:

I don’t get it

• Vinraith says:

I’m feeling fairly out-of-the-loop all around today. I presume that this and the RPS Louse bit are parodies of something going on in gaming, but since RPS hasn’t reported on them “straight” and since I don’t care enough to go digging around on “real” game news sites I suppose I’ll content myself not to know what.

• Travis says:

http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/ — it’s linked in the funnier one

the ‘RPS Louse’ thing is http://ealouse.wordpress.com/

• Pantsman says:

For Vinraith, because Vinraith won’t. :P

• Vinraith says:

@Pantsman

Thanks, I guess? After a quick skim over those I’m not entirely sure why they warrant a parody response, or indeed any attention at all.

• rargphlam says:

Mainly because certain parts of the internet (specifically those which call games like DotA MOBAs) are having a proverbial shitfit over this. Some are freaking about because OMG HOW CAN YOU SLANDER VALVE\ICEFROG, some are freaking about because OMG ICEFROG IS RIPPING OFF S2 HON IS THE BEST, and the rest of us are left feeling slightly bemused.

I personally enjoyed the articles because the point out the fallacy of the above blog (using relatively easily acquired “evidence” that he/she/it’s legit), and that JOHN WALKER IS MY GLORIOUS OVERLORD.

• subedii says:

Aside from what rargphlam, it’s something that’s expanded well beyond the DoTA community (because it’s “insider dirt exposé” on Valve and people desperately want to believe how evil they’ve become), with most major gaming sites reporting it as if it’s not just an angry troll.

The point is that games websites don’t typically go into depth posting about angry forum rants from L33t 12-year-olds claiming to work as devs and have access to THE REAL TRUTH, so them suddenly falling over themselves to get this out there is pretty ridiculous in itself.

• DrGonzo says:

@vinraith

Why can’t it just be because it was funny? This is probably the funniest post I’ve ever read on RPS. BAM!

34. B-boy Paul says:

I wouldn’t expect any less from our pals at Valve. Who cares if IceToad is an asshole anyway?

35. yutt says:

How does RPS expect to maintain reader trust while serving as a Valve PR mouthpiece? Maybe this “Valvesider” is bullshit, maybe not. In any case it would be nice not to see RPS act like Destructoid.

• yutt says:

Insider* curse these fat fingers

• Nick says:

Maybe, just maybe, they think its funny and don’t care if the sort of people who get super serial about such things have trust issues with them.

• James says:

@nick

Personally, even if they think it’s funny it still doesn’t mean that the piece doesn’t come off as strongly favoring one side of the argument. If Mr. Walker is “only joking” by posting this, he might have gone a little bit further in clarifying that he’s not taking sides. (sorry if that puts too much responsibility on John alone, I realize that you have some editorial process in place).

If it is satire based on the fact that the subject doesn’t matter, why draw attention to it?

I’m not saying this is the worst thing ever, it just seems needlessly antagonistic (as negativedge stated above).

I still love your irreverent sense of humor, RPS. I just don’t understand the tone of these blog post parodies of late.

• Jhoosier says:

@ yutt: I thought “Valvesider” was deliberate and quite liked the term. Good show, fat fingers!

• Urael says:

if you RPS could ever pass up a chance to parody some very serious but also very silly things going on in the real gaming world, then you don’t understand British humour very much at all. To natural-born comedians like the Hivemind this is Comedy Gold. :)

• James says:

@Urael

That was refreshingly simplistic, thank you.

• DrGonzo says:

FUCK! Just lost everything I just wrote in response. Damn CAPTCHA! Basically I was saying, the original anonymous poster doesn’t deserve any of our attention and should be mocked. It’s all quite clearly bullshit, but even if it wasn’t he’s essentially going online to complain about his new boss. Why should we care?

• James says:

@DrGonzo

Don’t care. I’m pretty sure things will work out fine either way, so no pressure.

• FunkyBadger says:

@James

I wasn’t aware there was an argument, unless its the grown-ups making fun of the trolls. Does that really count?

36. fucrate says:

hahaha, Gabe already got back to me. Anyone else get a response?

37. Robby says:

A-ha! So Fart Cops is one of those “surprises” that Valve, er, VALVe, has been going on about.

38. Frank Lantz says:

Long live Old Man Murray.

• sebmojo says:

Monty! How’s tricks? Did you know Senor Barborito works for Irrational, now?

• Pathos says:

I guess there’s a lot of the old OMM regulars hanging out on RPS. Good to see! It’s like everyone got all grown up.

Edit: Stupid double posts.

39. SquareWheel says:

This is the best meme ever.

40. Muzman says:

I did have a laugh, although I do feel a bit “OK, which industry talking point/twitter meme did I miss this time?” of late.

(In a way it’s educational. I doubt I’d care about or even hear of such things at all if RPS weren’t mocking them).

41. Justin says:

Every time I read one of those lists of steps to ‘prove’ something, I mentally do it with the voice of the guy in those Old Spice commercials. It’s getting all munged up like this:

Look at me.
    Look at your man.
    Now look back at me.
    Search for IceFrog on Google.
    Touch Emeril Lagasse!
    I’m on a horse.

… well, that’s 30 seconds of my life gone.

42. Freud says:

Emeril Legasse is an anagram for Large Melee Sis, which might be one of the boss characters in Fart Cops.

43. TCM says:

The most hilarious thing about both the anti-Icefrog and EALouse is that probably 90% or so of the playerbase for Valve and EA doesn’t actually know anything is going on, the 10% that does is equally split, with 3.3% taking the side of Valve or EA, 3.3% taking the side of the insider, 3.3% bemusadly writing it off as the all-too-common fake, and 0.1% not trusting anyone involved, and perhaps wearing a tinfoil hat as they browse from their lead-lined basement.

Well, probably. Assuming I know how to make up statistics.

• James says:

I think you did a fine job of making them up.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Yep.

Them’s some statistic-like numbers.

• Sassenach says:

The percentage signs were particularly well executed.

• woot says:

What the hell happened to the other 90% of the 10% split? I guess they’re in hiding for fear of being counted…

44. Tuor says:

Yeah, well, *I* live in Bellevue, WA, and I’ve never seen you before. I think you’re a big liar, anon(e)mous(e) boy. Proof? Look at I-405 during rush hour. It’s congested. THAT’s my proof! And that small “e” you were talking about? I have an “e” in my name. It’s small. So small you can’t even see it. Yeah, that’s right: my name is Tuore, except you can’t see the “e”, but it’s there. Proof? You can’t handle the proof!

Edit: I have some new information for you, anon(e)mous(e): I also know other people that live in Bellevue, and they don’t know you, either. Proof? You’re a liar, that’s my proof! And I-405 is congested.

• rargphlam says:

And *I* live in Poulsbo, WA and I commute to Bellevue every day of the work week and I’ve never heard of you Mr. Tuor(e).

If that’s even your real name!

45. guest-tron 5400 says:

I do hate when RPS misrepresents itself so. They have all the trappings of legitimacy, but that’s all they are! Trappings!
    Seriously, the most antagonistic part of RPS is their wordplay, which, to be fair, is like an assault on one’s sense of decency.

• James says:

That seems a bit harsh, to be honest. Some of it is “legitimate”, some is not (and likely not attempting to be). I don’t know how someone can misrepresent his/herself…if you did/said it, isn’t it an accurate portrayal of the self in question (if only a sample)?

My sense of decency is assault-proof, so I can’t sympathize with you there.

46. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

Christ people are whiny about RPS lately.

If you honestly believed these “whistleblowers” for even a second then you really are members of the Moron High Council.

These comedic responses are the most respect they deserve.

• Joe says:

So true. Nothing wrong with RPS having a little fun with the more ridiculous aspects of gaming journalism that have popped up lately.

• James says:

@the_fanciest_of_pants
      Wow, you are very smart! I bet you know a lot of things that the rest of us in the Moron High Council don’t. Duh, I forgot the next words I wanted to talk! By the way, some people can entertain all kinds of ideas without claiming a position. It’s called being thoughtful, to quote Letterman.

@Joe
      Did it escape you that RPS is taking part in “the more ridiculous aspects of gaming journalism” when they post these? Humor is fine, but (if you’re going to believe John) they didn’t even write most of this post.

• Tei says:

@the_fanciest_of_pants

Journalist has this attitude to give both parts equal rights to talk. Like pseudo-science and science, a rape victim and his raper. It may be a bit nonsensical at times.
      With this article, RPS is reporting about something that interest most people (geez), but is not giving any inch of credibility to it,and probably it don’t reserve it. Is somewhat like a “Sorry, ruining reputations is not THAT easy”. and “Can we go back wen reading a insider leak was insingtifull and informative, and not just a lame and empty of information slander piece?”. If some people is reading this, and want to write a fake insider leak piece, please avoid unnecesary slander parts, If some people want to write about his ex-employee and want to be taken seriusly, don’t try, just leak the necesary information, and save you from slander..be as neutral as you.. or contact directly journalist.

Well.. that is my humble opinion, and I am mr. random internet man. I am nobody.

• James says:

@Tei

You’re my everything, big boy.

To be more serious and less homo-erotic, you make a good point but I think you’re relying heavily on your interpretation of everyone’s motives. It is at least plausible.

I do think this piece in particular does lean more to one side than the other. Claiming you don’t like to get into things right before (kinda) getting into them (and, arguably, coming down on the side of your sort-of-partner) doesn’t seem a very defensible position to me, as it relates to journalism.

Again, not angry about the post or taking sides (or even the slander, as that’s an unfortunate aspect of some human communications, it doesn’t really have much to do either way with validity).

I’m apparently very involved in this issue for some reason.

• Wilson says:

I’m intrigued as to how the ‘Moron High Council’ works. Since you are very likely to be in it if you believe stupid things (as the_fanciest_of_pants argues believing the ‘whistleblowers’ is), does that mean the to gain rank in the Moron hierarchy you have to be stupider instead of smarter? And does popularity not enter into it? Or do you have to be smart about being dumb? Perhaps the greater organization (I assume there is one, a kind of idiotiluminati) is ruled from the bottom, by the least moronic, but people still want to attain the highest positions? So many questions…

47. Pathos says:

48. Froibo says:

Something about this so called “Fart Cops” project smells funny..

49. FreeDorko says:

Anonymous e-mail is fake.

A valve employee didnt write it.

• James says:

Not that your link makes a lot of direct sense in the first place, but assuming I’m just really stupid and that isn’t the case…did you miss this?

“*Disclaimer: This is just a theory and not a proven fact.”

That was at the bottom of your link. I think it speaks for itself.

• Lilliput King says:

That post was made on the 14th of May 2009.

I can’t believe I bothered to read it. It has no impact on this discussion whatsoever.

• DrGonzo says:

Wow! Really, you think? That maybe that was a joke? Your on the ball mate.

• Lilliput King says:

I don’t think I am. What was a joke? The link?

• James says:

Ha ha?

• Lilliput King says:

If it was the link, was it the link itself or the content of the link that I’m supposed to be finding risible?

Maybe I should cut my losses and pretend I ‘get it.’

• DrGonzo says:

Sorry that was aimed at FreeDorko not yourself.

• DrGonzo says:

It’s just become clear to me that it’s way to early in the morning to be talking about a possibly fake email, regarding a possible fake blogpost from Valve. I apparently can’t even understand what anyone is talking about anymore and who dislikes what, or found what funny.

I hope that post was sufficiently confusing.

50. LostSoviet says:

So, where is the “I will pay $59.99 for Fart Cops” Steam group? It worked for the Left 4 Dead and Modern Warfare boycotts; it can work for Fart Cops too!