Section 8: Prejudice Multiplayer Beta Sign Up

By Jim Rossignol on October 20th, 2010 at 8:59 am.

I have to say I rather enjoyed Section 8, despite the game lacking a long term appeal. It was full of fun features, such as falling from the sky and robots smacking each other, and those things made it one of those games that it was great to arse about in for a couple of weeks, without it ever really getting its hooks in. I wasn’t sorry that I played it, but it was rather quickly forgotten, too. Anyway, it seems like Timegate haven’t forgotten about it, because there’s sequel of sorts on the way – Prejudice – and the multiplayer beta sign ups for that are now open. I’m probably going to be taking a look at this, if just to see how the original game has evolved. Also, you’ll be pleased to hear, the game is using “the enhanced Games for Windows-LIVE integration that includes streamlined matchmaking and improved server browsing.” Yaaaaaaaaay.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Mashakosha says:

Nobody’s awake yet, you might be able to change that typo before someone worth a damn notices.

But I do still rather enjoy S8, reinstalled it after the initial Prejudice announcement and haven’t looked back, despite there being a grand total of about four servers and a playerbase of roughly 20, not even enough to fill a server with.

• Mashakosha says:

I’d also like to mention that I’m one of those people that has never understood the hate towards GFWL. I’ve never had a real, game-breakingly, or enjoyment-halting experience with the system. Sure, it could be a heck of a lot better, but it could also be worse.

It could be Gamespy.

• subedii says:

That’s like saying drinking a pint of seawater isn’t as bad for you as drinking a pint of concentrated sulphuric acid.

Personally my experiences with GFWL from DoW2 have left me with nothing but a bad taste in my mouth. I’d have been much happier with Steamworks, or heck, even their own system. Microsoft simply don’t give a hoot about GFWL anymore given by how little they’ve done to address all the issues it has and make it a viable community system.

• TheLordHimself says:

DiRT 2 has a bad menu system in my opinion, but it would be bearable if it wasn’t for GFWL over the top. I remember trying to create a profile the first time, then being told I need to sign in, then being told I need to update, then being told I need to restart the game, then being told I need to sign in, then being told I need to create an account… After about 10 minutes I wanted to punch the monitor through.

I work in software so I know that the developers will know the system is shit, but they were probably forced to do it that way by some idiot in a suit higher up. That sounds like a cliche, but its happened at some point everywhere I have worked and probably everywhere else I will work. None software people have no idea about software usability.

• Farewell says:

Reading “GFWL” in the article was enough to prevent me from clicking the signup link. Unless there have been drastic changes since DoW2 I can only describe GFWL integration as cancer.

• BAReFOOt says:

Well it’s really your fault, if you don’t use a GFWL-removing patch like every sane person. I bet Gamecopyworld has one. And if not, just play another game.

2. toaster says:

Oh yay.. GFWL is a nightmare. I’m pretty sure MS is doing everything they can to destroy the joy of PC gaming. Hopefully Microsoft’s intervention doesn’t cripple the game too much.

• P7uen says:

I’m not an activist against any particular platform, with the only exception of GFWL.

Requiring GFWL is only thing that psychologically stops me from buying a game, because GFWL is the only thing that has physically stopped me from playing a game I’ve already bought.

It’s dreadful.

• subedii says:

I find myself in the extremely uncomfortable position of having to defend GFWL a little here.

GFWL isn’t something that would ever really stop me from buying a game, ultimately Section 8 needs a multiplayer architecture / community system, and GFWL can provide that.

That out of the way, I still find it regrettable, largely because

– MS still have their stupid update policy, all patches have to have a (paid) certification by them, which delays them far longer than they should be and discourages regular incremental updates

– The community system is still lacklustre (at LEAST give us an external client here, and preferably a chat interface as opposed to a message system that’s essentially sending freaking e-mails)

– MS Points are still stupid and still need to go (and if this game is like the first one, it’s going to get some DLC down the line).

TrueSkill matchmaking could be useful for this, IF it works properly. More than likely though, the game’s going to have too small a community to do effective skills based matchmaking. There’ll be a server browser anyway (hopefully it won’t be, well, bad), so TS matchmaking could be a nice bonus if well implemented.

I can’t think of too much else positive to say about GFWL at the moment.

• Shadow Aspect says:

Subedii’s a good guy for defending the system so eloquently.
      I recognise it is flawed but there are good points too, and he sums it up well :)

• Hallgrim says:

Anyone else remember when MS was going to charge a subscription fee to use GFWL?

“Here at Microsoft, we care about PC Gaming. We care about removing any advantage PC games have over our console games, so people just buy the version that gives us $10 extra!”

3. daypitoum says:

I saw it too, hurry !

4. Bungle says:

Was this game made for consoles? It has a lock on feature for people that can’t aim.

• Temple to Tei says:

And it has anti-lockon loadouts for people who are worried about that

5. Shadow Aspect says:

Fun little shooter but yep, moved on after a few weeks.

6. sakai4eva says:

yup. fix the typo, quick!

7. Hermes says:

Better change the tag too… before the stain of illiteracy becomes permanent

8. Alexander Norris says:

The worst part of S8 was the guns feeling like they were Nerf guns despite the game being full of fun and interesting ideas. If the guns had been deadlier, I’d probably have bought it instead of just deciding it wasn’t for me after playing the beta. :(

• bill says:

Or maybe this is the first sci-fi power armour that actually works. Unlike stormtrooper armour and every other one that doesn’t stop you getting killed in one shot. ;-)

• Mashakosha says:

The thing is, the guns were fairly deadly. Even if you win a one-on-one fire fight, you wouldn’t be able to win the next one for definite without healing up which, depending on loadout, might have to be done by a team-mate. Just a shame that those team mates are bots more often than not. Although it does make the nice change of having bots that can actually play the game half-decently.

• Temple to Tei says:

Yay, working armour.
      The big shame was that all armour looked the same -wish they had done something like Fracture that had an organic vs big armour so I at least knew who was what.
      Or if you chose a stealth outfit that it looked, I dunno, stealthy.

• Hallgrim says:

@ Mashakosha:

Er, doesn’t that mean the guns weren’t very deadly at all? Deadly = quick death. If two duelists consistently plink each other down to low health before 1 guy has the advantage… not deadly.

• Dominic White says:

The guns had effective ranges, and there was some clever interplay between shields/armor. At long range, the basic assault rifle automatically fires anti-shield rounds, but when you close in, it shoots anti-armor. The heavy machinegun doesn’t do too much damage at extreme ranges, but up close it bypasses shielding entirely and cuts straight into armor, and could kill in a single quick burst.

I’m seconding that Section 8 is one of a very small group of games where you actually FEEL like you’re stomping around in an enormous suit of high-tech armor, rather than just being a larger, dorkier-looking version of the wifebeater-and-khakis Bald Space Marine.

• The Innocent says:

This. As in, it’s wrong. The guns were plenty deadly, if used at the right ranges. I remember one of the devs (I think) saying that the shields were based on the novel Dune, so slow-moving rounds would penetrate and damage the armor, while fast-moving rounds would take out shields. So the weapons system was a balance between high-velocity long-range weapons taking out shields and up-close weapons taking out armor. So as a sniper, you’d generally want good shields, but you could have weak armor mods and be fine. It was actually really nice, and up close with a shotgun or the machinegun you could take someone out pretty much instantly, provided you were within the shield-disregarding range. And sniper rifles were there to drop shields more than to rack up kills, which was nice (I hate snipers).

9. Heliocentric says:

The ‘drop in anywhere’ usp actually stopped me wanting to buy s8. Terrain doesn’t matter when… Well, it doesn’t matter, no point attacking when defending isn’t worth anything, so you’ll just skirmish, forever.

• Temple to Tei says:

Or you set up anti-air drops to stop people dropping in anywhere.
      You use sensors to hide from people and stab ‘em when they come to your town.
      You choose what mission is activated during the game.

• Archonsod says:

The drop in anywhere never really worked, the AA guns had ridiculous coverage and tended to be near anything important, so it was more “choose which direction you want your two minute jog to the frontline to be from”.

• The Innocent says:

A trick that only a few people really took advantage of was dropping within the AA cover circle (not too close to the center though) and falling all the way to the surface without braking. You’d be stunned for a bit and your shields would be down, but you could get really close to your target without having to stay outside the circle.

When I played the game a lot, two guys would go in that way and snipe the AA gun, then the rest of the squad would drop right where it was.

• Arca says:

My trick was to start at the edge of the circle and “drift” in towards the objective, that way you could usually survive with a decent chunk of your shields left when you hit the ground if you did it right. Installing one or two of the anti-AA modules to toughen up your shields helps a lot too.

Also, the turrets were crap at multitasking, so if there were a bunch of you coming in at once you’d probably all make it down without too much trouble, IIRC.

10. Temple to Tei says:

Only shooter I ever bought.
    I made some great friends on the game, shame they were bots, but we had some good times.

11. Dee-G says:

I do enjoy GFWL, just been playing though Dead Rising 2 and the drop in drop out multiplayer is very smooth in that respect, haven’t tried TiR Online yet, but assuming that’s much the same. The rumours surrounding an update for GFWL around the same time as the dash update for the 360 are also encouraging, I’ve never had any issues playing games since its inception, but good lord the UI change was a complete step in the wrong direction, the minimalist style that shipped with Shadowrun and Gears of War was much easier on the eyes.

Liked S8 with GFWL, gonna like S8:P with GFWL, doubt anything is going to change that.

12. Senethro says:

Did they ever tweak that super-irritating way your sensitivity changed between looking about and aiming? Felt like your sensitivity was quartered so it was impossible to get comfortable with both.

13. Dave W says:

Ahh Section 8 , The best game no one played.

I remember playing the demo before the release and was amazed by the number of positive comments in the chat windows. Which made the lack of people that actually bought it a bit weird.

• MacBeth says:

I enjoyed the demo a lot (enough to put the Section 8 logo on my overly-elaborate clan forum sig image anyway), I bought the game through Zavvi just as they were going bust, so delivery was delayed a couple of weeks, and in those two weeks lost interest and never actually installed the full version. It’s still in sealed packaging on my games shelf…

14. KillahMate says:

GFWL. Yaaaaaaaaay.

Oh wait.

15. wazups2x says:

Wait, so will this have dedicated servers? Or will it only use the terrible GFWL matchmaking?

16. retro jordans says:

your post are very helpful for me
    look forward more posts