250m Gaming On Facebook, 19% Addicted?

By John Walker on October 21st, 2010 at 11:05 am.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

Sometimes I wish I could just walk past a story that makes some daft claim about addiction or gaming violence. I’m trying with this one, because it’s about Facebook. But then again, it’s rubbish, so I should say so. All Facebook, an unofficial fansite, has produced what it describes as “10 Mind Blowing Facebook Games Statistics”. Some of which are indeed mind blowing. One of which, however, is that around 50 million – 19% of those who play games on Facebook – say they are “addicted”.

It’s unfortunate that a word as medically serious is so horribly misused. Addiction is understood in two forms. It’s either considered a dependency without which a person is unable to function. Or it’s something that one continues to do in the face of serious negative consequences. If this is the case for 50 million Facebook users, then we have an extraordinarily serious situation on our hands. It seems slightly more realistic that the vast majority of the 50 million people find they just want one more go in their lunch break. The issue is, publishing numbers like this only leads to the wider press leaping on the number with no critical analysis, and then the battle to take both gaming and addiction seriously becomes that much more difficult.

But the rest of the numbers are interesting. Of the 500 million who use Facebook, 53% use it to play games. And 69% of that 250m+ are of the female chromosomes. There’s 56m people playing every day, and 290m playing every month. And according to these stats half of the logins to Facebook are to play games rather than to see what Brenda’s done with her garden.

They estimate this equals to 927 million hours of gaming per month.

And they say PC gaming is dead.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ryan says:

I don’t think Facebook games are good examples of PC gaming; you can probably play all them on a phone or ipad.

• BAReFOOt says:

Also, note that it says “19% say they’re addicted”. How many of those do you think have even remotely an idea, what addiction actually is? How many were just saying it like “Oh man, I love that shit!” in a healthy way. And how many just followed the mindset of all that “addiction” propaganda that’s categorizing everyone as an addict, just because those spreading the propaganda themselves have a mental problem with not being able to cope with the changing of times, including computer games, and instead call the whole world ill, instead of themselves?

I mean, how many do you think know, that in a mental addiction, what you are addicted to, is completely and utterly irrelevant? As addiction is always a replacement for something else. Something that’s missing. Or not right.
      So the cause of the problem, and hence the cause of the addiction, has nothing at all to do with the replacement. The cause is what’s missing. The replacement is literally mostly arbitrary. It’s just chosen because it replaces the original thing best. And often it doesn’t even do that.

If you find out what those people miss in their lives… what’s wrong…, and give them that back, then all those real actual addictions go away. Literally over night. I can tell you that from a experienced professional standpoint.

And those who aren’t addicted: Well, they can themselves decide, if they think it’s bad for them, or good. Just because they play lots of games, instead of going outside, that does not mean it’s bad. It just means, that it has gotten a lot more interesting inside than outside in the last couple of decades. Duh.

• panther says:

Yeah I might flippantly say “I’m addicted to minecraft at the moment!” which I just mean I’m playing it more regularly then other games/my normal gaming habits rather then a text book ‘addiction’ definition.

• frymaster says:

exactly

if something shocks you, you’ll say “i’m in shock”

this is totally different from the medical condition known as “shock”:

• MrEvilGuy says:

I see another unfortunate implication of using the term “addicted” loosely in this context: video game addictions do exist, in the real medical sense of the word.
      When silly statistics like these are released, people start viewing “video game addictions” in general as not being serious additions, which is probably mostly true for this Facebook game context.
      Then, when we hear about a person who actually does have a serious addiction to video games, we will be more likely to stigmatize them for “pretending to be seriously addicted” and not give them the support or sympathy that other kinds of addicts (for example, serious drug users) receive.

• MrEvilGuy says:

INTERESTING.

John Walker writes in a comment below, “There is no evidence that demonstrates that there is anything about gaming that can cause addiction. People who suffer from addiction can misuse gaming, certainly.”

I did not take into account in my first post the difference between video games causing addiction, and addictive personalities misusing gaming.

However, I still believe my original point is valid, if not more valid.

For example, if someone reads a study that claims that “video games do not create addiction” (which according to John Walker is true), then that may imply for some people (who lack an understanding in the subject matter) that people cannot be addicted to video games (which is false in the sense that people with addictive personalities can misuse video games).

• MrEvilGuy says:

Whoops, I also did not take into account the differences between physical addictions and psychological addictions.

At this point, I’ll stop posting since my knowledge of addictions is at best a faint memory of a few years back when I studied it.

But I am confident my original argument still stands regardless of the details of addiction.

Silly statistics like the Facebook one will create a negative stigma towards “real” video game addictions in society.

• Nesetalis says:

I dunno, watching my girlfriend play farmville.. I’m fairly sure I need to send her to rehab :\

2. Moo says:

Video games are very dangerous, lethal even! I can prove this with empirical evidence, for you see I play games and I am dead. Irrefutable evidence of the dangers of gaming.

• Rich says:

…and you just got better, huh?

• BAReFOOt says:

I loved that picture that circulated at GTA Hot Coffee times, that said: “100% of all school shooters (Amokläufer in German) ate bread, in the 24 hours before going on a killing spree. BAN BREAD!” ^^

• Haplo says:

The headline reads:

“VIDEO GAMES REANIMATE DEAD; CREATE ZOMBIES TO DESTROY ALL CIVILIZATION”

Ban this filth, gentlemen. BAN IT. The world -depends- on swift action.

• Temple to Tei says:

If you were a zombie gamer would not playing games cause you to shoot yourself in the head* through indoctrination/addiction/whatever.

*or throw CDs at yourself/put traffic cone on head/be murdered by plants depending on the game you are ADDICTED to.

3. Quxxy says:

I’m sorry, but I’m far too elitist to accept Facebook games as part of “PC Gaming”. Filthy unwashed masses are giving the rest of us a bad name!

• Iris says:

Don’t get me wrong I love both Breakout and the Lemmings and in my very short experience with Farmtown, I found that Facebook games melt my brain, but really argumentatively, how are Facebook games different? What makes them not games (or not PC games)?

I often get the impression that this rejection of FB games is often much more a reaction against their players. The “filthy masses” (= women and old people en masse) are not welcome to join the ranks of gaming (especially if they do not share the exact same interests and passions).
      Why does one gaming always have to be better than another?

• Tei says:

“How exactly are Facebook games any less sophisticated than Breakout or the Lemmings?”

Theres no “win” condition. Seems more a sandbox to me. A sandbox where his authors added leveling and unlocking, as a cynic and succesfull attemp to make the game adictive.

Wen you make your food more adictive as posible, over everything else, you stop being a kitchen chef, you are a drug dealer.

• JuJuCam says:

A respectable game asks you to pay once. Facebook games get paid by advertisers every time the player refreshes the page, and then have the gall to offer in-game progress for cash.

If a traditional business model game is compelling, it’s a function of the creativity of the game design. If a Facebook cash cow clicker game is addictive, it’s a function of the psychological warfare being waged by the developer in order to trap you in a never ending loop.

My language could be unnecessarily incendiary here, but I feel strongly that Facebook games are meaningless, soulless, unfun treadmills. Blast, I did it again.

• tomwaitsfornoman says:

@Tei

I seem to remember one Mr. Wright having trouble publishing a certain “Sim City” due to publishers concern over the lack of a win condition.

• tomwaitsfornoman says:

What I meant was, I doubt there is some objective quality to these Facebook games that disqualifies them from being “real” PC Games. Most of them may be awful, but there’s some cool stuff going on too. One team actually made a space FB app flight sim using Unity, called Ascension War.

• Dave says:

If lack of a win condition is what separates games from non-games, I guess we need a new word that describes paper and pencil RPGs, MMOs, Minecraft, The Sims, and even every classic game thing where you have a certain number of lives/amount of time in which to score as many points as possible.

I was actually thinking about this while playing Puzzle Quest 2’s loot minigame. It always, ALWAYS ends with “YOU WIN” regardless of whether you actually matched any treasure chests. “YOU WIN” in that case is doublespeak for “GAME OVER”.

• Iris says:

@JuJuCam: well that’s a business model though, not part of the playing experience. Not saying that it isn’t interwoven into the game mechanics and that it doesn’t affect important game design decision, but that the way FB make money does not directly affect or interrupt the player’s experience.
      And you pay more than once for an MMO. I haven’t heard the same amount of grief about those.

@Tei: well what they said.

And again: I think FB games (or those I’ve heard of) are terrible. But they are terrible *games*. And I think it is very unfair to reject a huge group of people playing games from “game culture” or whatever, because they are playing the “wrong” ones.

And apparently FB games are doing something right in terms of community, because I haven’t heard of any online gaming community drawing in so many female players. Probably because they get fed up being a) fetishized b) called a whore or c) being told they are really blokes (not saying that this always happens or anything, just that it does sometimes). These examples are also a kind of “wrong” if you ask me, but that’s just my opinion.

• jsdn says:

It’s not about the community for me. FB games employ several psychological mechanics into their games to make you feel the need to play them more often than you normally would. These mechanics are not of the fun or entertaining variety, they’re the baby carrot on a stick to keep you on the treadmill. I don’t understand it, but I find it very depressing that several people I know fall for it everyday. Throw in FB’s business practices and the vanity of most social networking sites and I’m left loathing FB. I hate the shepherd and the sheep, but for different reasons.

It’s not that the games are never ending, it’s that they’re completely vacuous and serve only to stuff FB’s collective pocket. These games could be fun, but why be fun when building a hamster wheel is so much more profitable? I’d love to ignore the whole thing if my friends didn’t play it 5 hours a day, and if FB wouldn’t stretch their arms out into titles like Starcraft 2 (where people argue it’s a good feature, stockholm syndrome at its best).

4. Eamo says:

Wow, so up to 19% of people don’t know the definition of addicted. And the government wants to cut education funding!

drewski says:

Speaking of PC gaming not being dead, John Romero’s “making” a Facebook game.

Sure, it’s a Frontierville clone and sure, he’s just consulting, but maybe he’s finally going to make millions of people his micropayment bitches.

6. Bill says:

I’m not sure I like this. I agree with your general point, but it seems like you flat don’t believe that people can get addicted to facebook games, which strikes me as pretty invalid. The use numbers are there, these games are hugely accessible and they soak up huge amounts of time and money, both of which could cause problems for vulnerable people. Crying 50 MILLION ADDICTED isn’t helpful, but neither is saying “they all just want that extra go in their lunch break”. There’s a middle ground!

• John Walker says:

My argument is that 19% of Facebook gamers are not addicted.

Believe me, I’ve done one heck of a lot of research into this subject – I’m not just throwing comments around.

• Rinox says:

I think addiction (in the definition that would apply to a non-chemically induced something like games) is really meant as something that would make you lose your job and destroy your marriage/social life and other really fucked up stuff. And I agree with John, either their definition of addicted is more like ‘oh my I spend a lot of free time on Facebook!’ or 50 million people are headed towards rock bottom as we speak. The latter is unlikely.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Note that’s not to say the mouse wheel effect of these games isn’t a fair bit like addiction; i.e. no reward, no progress, doing things by habit, wasting time doing the same thing repeatedly while expecting a different result (in this case, expecting fun to jump out with streamers and surprise cake)…

Wait, isn’t that last one the definition of insanity?

• Bill says:

@John

Fair enough, didn’t mean any disrespect. I’m not that hung up on the definition of addiction – if some of those 50 million have some kind of genuine problem that’s resulting from their use of facebook games, that’s enough for me, and that’s something I’m more than happy to believe. Naturally I don’t believe they all do.

@Rinox

I can conceive of all those things happening to vulnerable people as a result of overuse of facebook games. Also, I don’t see why of “50 million” they either *all* need to be right or *all* need to be wrong.

• the wiseass says:

– “There is no evidence that demonstrates that there is anything about gaming that can cause addiction.”

I’m sorry but I happen to know two people who could be described as “addicted” in the second meaning of your definition. The first one lost his GF because WOW was more important and the second one recently lost all interest in social interaction and is on the brink of losing his job because he prefers to stay up late and play games.

I know gaming is our preferred hobby but that should not make it immune to criticism. To flat out deny that gaming (just like any other activity, like gambling, watching TV, etc…) can cause severe psychological dependencies is just rude compared to the people suffering from it.

Now I fully agree that these 19% were pulled out of somebody’s hairy ass crack but that’s no reason to go around shouting that there is no evidence for gaming addiction, while in fact there are plenty of empirical cases to go by.

Now what really irks me is this random number generated by that allfacebook website. Did they ask every single one of these 50 million facebook-gamers? Where does that number come from? I mean to find out if a person is addicted or not requires extensive knowledge of that person and it social surroundings. Simply playing lots of games does not make you an addict, in fact, you could do worse and watch a lot of mind numbing TV. The funny thing is, nobody really talks about TV-addiction even if people (and especially kids) tend to watch too much of it. Why is that? Simply because most people get their information from TV-Shows and TV-Producers would rather not soil their own nest. So please let’s not do the same mistake and simply ignore that fact that gaming addiction does exist, although not in the numbers stated by that horrible website.

• BAReFOOt says:

You can call me an expert on the subject. And I can tell you, that people can get addicted to anything. Really!
      Water, food, reading newspapers, closing blinds, walking in circles, saying hello, you name it.

The reason is, that as I said in my comment above, what you are addicted to, is irrelevant for mental addictions. (With drugs that create a physical addiction, it’s something different.)
      The thing they are addicted to — IF they are addicted, which is still open — is not to blame. The cause is what they miss. Usually something like love from their parents, their partner not ignoring them, a evil boss, the government giving them a unfairly hard time, or just plain bad luck, etc.

See my comment above for more details.

• sassy says:

last I heard gaming addiction hadn’t yet been officially recognized as an addiction, therefore it isn’t an addiction.

That doesn’t mean outliers don’t exist, it simply means that the number is too small to be seen as a problem. I won’t say people aren’t addicted to gaming, the real question is whether gaming is addictive.

• SquareWheel says:

Couldn’t anything considered enjoyable become an addiction? Food, sex, games?

Either way, I don’t think I like the term Facebook Games, I prefer Spammy Applications Used to Steal Your Data.

• Hallgrim says:

@ Bill:

“if some of those 50 million have some kind of genuine problem that’s resulting from their use of facebook games”

Ask yourself, do those people have a problem that *results* from gaming, or one that is *revealed* by gaming?

• Zogtee says:

People sometimes use their words in ways that aren’t entirely accurate or appropriate. Some will say they’re addicted to something, when they’re really not. Others will say a game is broken, when it’s really not. It’s enough to drive you crazy!

• Bill says:

@Hallgrim

That’s essentially what I’m saying. I identify people who are likely to have problems as “vulnerable” people.

I’m not trying to suggest that there’s some quality to games which makes them enslave the minds of ordinary people.

7. alh_p says:

Pff. Girls don’t play proper games.

• Matthew says:

Pffft. How could girls play proper games, they can’t even use the keyboard with those paws?!?

Wait, girls are the small meowy things with tails and claws, right? I forget.

• Girl says:

Meow?

• pupsikaso says:

The small meowy things with claws can’t play proper games, either. Believe me, I’ve tried to teach my cat to play some games with me.

Oh and girls need to cut their finger-nails more often, too. I can’t understand how they can type like that!

8. Jaz says:

I’m glad someone had the time and brains to stamp on this one. I saw it on Eurogamer and just thought… why are they using the word addicted? How were they addicted? What was the test to see if they were addicted? They just kept using the word, unchallenged.

I mean, is it a certain threshold for a number of plays per day? Because if you play bejewelled fifty times a day, you’re still only playing for about an hour. I spent two hours playing a single (very luxuriously elaborate and inefficient) game of Supreme Commander 2 last night. ADDICTED.

• BAReFOOt says:

You missed an important hint: They say themselves if they are “addicted”!
      That right there should answer everything. ^^

9. pakoito says:

Grindy games are the new casual.

10. Rinox says:

Addicted is a word that is thrown around so easily, almost to the brink of hysteria. It’s not just limited to games though. I know a lot of people who would consider me to have a ‘problem’ or at least to be a borderline case of alcoholic since I like to get drunk on my own once in a while (usually while gaming actually). Nevermind that I sometimes go weeks without alcohol, don’t crave it any more than I would soda and function perfectly normal professionally and personally. *rolls eyes* So yeah, I just don’t tell people I play a lot of games or drink alone from time to time, unless I think they know me well enough to put it into the proper context.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I am addicted to your posts.

• the wiseass says:

Drinking by yourself while playing games is just a great thing to do. Since when has drinking become a strictly social event? I’d rather get drunk by myself on my cozy couch than every week-end at some random pub.

• Rinox says:

Oh I agree. But in many people’s eyes, getting drunk on your own or drinking more than 5-6 glasses every once in a while is almost synonymous with being an alcoholic. I find that mostly people from WASP backgrounds have this hangup. It seems to be much less the case in Southern, Central and Eastern Europe.

Heh. I’m reminded of a David Sedaris quote (when talking about his alcohol abuse when younger)

“In Europe, you’re not an alcoholic unless you’re living half-naked in the street, drinking antifreeze from a cast-off shoe,” (he was talking about France in particular)

• sassy says:

I personally am holding out for my fiancee to take her one month holiday so I can drink and game. No chance that I am an alcoholic since I haven’t had more than the very (very) rare single glass in two years.

• the wiseass says:

@Rinox: Best. Quote. Ever. And so true. This made my day, thx :)

• Dances to Podcasts says:

There is definitely a large cultural factor. I moved from the continent to Ireland and was amazed seeing people stagger around all zombielike or lying passed out in the street, drunk.

• Jaz says:

People are afraid of people who want to just hang out with themselves, I think. It means you’re a witch. If you weigh less than a duck.

11. AbyssUK says:

Why is there no official Steam facebook app / launcher / item ? 250million people is a hell of a market

• Rich says:

Except that most games on Facebook don’t require you to actually pay anything. They certainly encourage it, but it’s not necessary.

Besides, Facebook is primarily a data mining tool.

12. Longrat says:

The thing about facebook gaming is that it’s a gateway to actual gaming. All we need are transition level games, ones which take you from facebook to casual, casual to mainstream, mainstream to hardcore.

The key point here, of course, is potential.

• tomwaitsfornoman says:

YES. What the hell has Maxis been DOING these past couple of years?

13. Rich says:

It may be habit forming, but it’s not addictive.

14. Saucy says:

OH GOD GUYS I AM ADDICTED FEEL SORRY FOR MEEEE ALSO HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS OF A COFFEE I HAD AT STARBUCKS

People are silly.

15. mbp says:

You can’t just leave us in suspense like that.

WHAT HAS Brenda done to her garden?

• sassy says:

she pulled a weed and then snipped off a rose to put in a vase, none stop excitement!!!

16. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Well…I’m more interested what Brenda did IN her garden…with Dylan.

• Rinox says:

Imagine the gossip at The Peach Pit!

• DJ Phantoon says:

I’m concerned about how this will affect our community as a whole, and Brenda and Hank’s garden. Sure, they’re just rumors, but rumors will be all it takes for their loveless garden to start the slow, forced march towards death. The small cracks on the surface of a otherwise beautiful garden will run deeper from nagging and mistrust and intrusion upon personal space, and no amount of water will make Hank feel better about the possibility that Dylan was harvesting her peaches that Sunday afternoon.

17. Spooty says:

John Walker is addicted to finding hidden objects.

18. Gothnak says:

I vote for an ‘RPS reveals the best Facebook free games’ post! Not like Scrabble or Farmville, but the actual good ones out there…

I’m a Turn Based Strategy nut, and i like ‘Tyrant’. Check it out, it’s a surprisingly cool turn based card game.

• Clovis says:

I’d really like something like that. Sure, there are tons of terrible games on facebook, but there has to be good ones right? I’d like to recommend those to my friends who keep playing Farmville. So far, I’ve only “shared” info on joke games like Cow Clicker and that Robot Unicorn game.

Has anyone else actually played a good one?

19. Leelad says:

I find it funny that the (British in my case) press will happily report that 1/2 the population watched Phil Mitchell rape an otter and wont miss tomorrow night when peggys tit falls off but when the same figures are applied to gaming where people are actually honing a better hand eye coordination and keeping their brain active they report that we’re all fucked and turning into mindless morons.

• the wiseass says:

Yeah well, the masses are educated by TV-media, so that may explain it. Besides you can’t stream ads in games every 10 minutes so from a television perspective that’s a big chunk of your target audience lost. Gamers don’t watch ads, TV-spectators do.

20. JackShandy says:

That’s a lot of gamers.

When the heck is someone going to make a decent game for them?

21. Jon says:

Can someone tell them that England and Great Britain are not the same thing, so if they mean the population of England then use a picture of England, not a picture of Great Britain.

22. Dean says:

“19% say they are addicted” is a completely useless statistic.

Why?

Well imagine trying to work out how big the alcohol addiction problem was in the UK, by going around asking people if they’re addicted to alcohol.

There’s a reason “admitting you have a problem” is such a big first step in getting better.

• Pemptus says:

Comparing alcohol and games is a bit of a stretch. A year or so ago I kept saying that I was “addicted to Puzzle Quest”, which didn’t mean I had no job, girlfriend and that I beat members of my family regularly. It merely meant that it was a very good, very engrossing game I dedicated most of my gaming time to.

See the difference?

23. Sam says:

“And they say PC gaming is dead.”

Please don’t call Facebook gaming ‘PC gaming’.

24. bleeters says:

In other news, I am two thirds rhinoceros. Since I said it, it must be true.

25. frags says:

It’s a bloody government thought control programme! It starts with feeling addicted, then the scratching starts. Then you turn into a freakin’ zombie…

But seriously though this just pours more fuel to those indie developers that are so against Facebook games…AAAARRGHHH! RAGE!

26. Eslup says:

Nothing to add re: the article, but I just wanted to say I’m so happy no-one has used the word ‘addicting’ yet.

27. Dawngreeter says:

I’m addicted to articles about people being addicted to things.

• Bascule42 says:

I’m addicted to comments about people being addicted to articles about people being addicted to things.

Thanks for the fix. Thix.

28. Nethlem says:

@John Walker
    There is no evidence that gaming can cause addiction? Did you ever take a look over to South Korea?
    They have special hospitals dedicated to gaming addiction…

Gaming addiction is real, just as real as a gambling addiction (gambling games are also just games). You just need to take a look at all those lifes ruined by WoW or people who spent their last dime on stupid facebook games.

Pretending they don’t exist won’t help them and it won’t help us with getting gaming accepted as a mainstream media.

• bleeters says:

Point is, it’s rarely about the game, or the the gambling, or whatever else folks whittle away their days on being inherently addictive. It’s about games/gambling/etc not being their lives. If people are truely spending every waking moment on facebook games, or any game, to the point of being unable to stop, there’s more going on here than the single-minded ‘games are bad’ slant the media constant puts on it.

It’s quite a leap from ‘people are addicted to X’, and ‘X causes addiction’. They’re both completely different points.

• bleeters says:

“people are addicted to X’ *to ‘X causes addiction”, that should say. Harrumph.

• Bascule42 says:

…I bet those hospitals aren’t free. Seems to be a case of “experts” making claims of gaming addiction to cause fear and doubt to get “patients” into the clinic. “As addictive as cocaine” one muppet claimed here a year or so ago. And guess what, he ran a clinic for it making pots of cash of gullible parents whose kids no doubt had some underlying mental health condition that he claimed was gaing addiction.

if you enjoy something, you will be upset to see it go. Thats not addiction. Thats normal. Out of the millions of WoW players, there are bound to be a few aho are, shall we say, on the verge becoming unhinged – or at least some kind of mild/serious mental health condition, (just sit in Stormwind and read General for an hour), and will easily slip into an obsession about anything that stimulate those nuerons. Therefore when or if WoW is taken from them, or they are told to stop playing for a bit, they go into a “nut job” mode and kick off. This could quite as easily be about any hobby with this kind of person. These so called problems of “gaming addiction” are made by “experts” who are either too lazy or too incompetent to delve a little deeper into thier patient and discover the real underlying cuases of thier seperation anxiety from, for example, WoW. Or, as mentioned abopve, they simply want to make a bit of fear mongering cash.

It’s a bit like Black Sabbath causing suicides in the 1980’s. Those guys were already screwed in the head.

Maybe if some of these kids parents actually spent a bit of time with them instead of taking little Timmy to a quack to rid him of this horrorible affliction, he’d be a in a better mental frame of mind. but no, he plays games a lot, he has problems, it MUST be the games.

• Hallgrim says:

Here’s the deal… people with shitty lives can get “addicted” to anything. I know, I’ve been one of them. But calling “playing wow 60 hours a week” addiction when it is really “being lazy and avoiding your responsibilities and shitty relationships” (me at one point) seriously undermines what real addiction actually is, and dramatizes to the extreme what gaming “addiction” actually is.

My father has been an alcoholic since he was 16. He also plays a ton of video games. Guess which of those things was a serious and debilitating illness, and which meant that he liked to be self indulgent?

29. fizz144 says:

It is an insult to ppl who are genuinely addicted

30. redsquares says:

I’m fully addicted to reading, looking at pretty pictures, and eating.
    I’m sure most of you are severely addicted to at least one of those things, I mean I just do it so much.

If you used to be a successful doctor in a highly functional relationship, but now you sit unwashed in a basement playing farmville all day, then you have yourselves an addiction.

If you are a middle class schmuck who has a 9-5 job, and you find yourself occasionally playing when you are bored, you’re just a product of the game, a pawn in a land of abstract currency, meaning, and morality, but you’re not addicted to games. You’re just looking for something to blame.

31. Turr says:

Having had a girl sit here and LITERALLY tell me she can’t do a thing until she has quadruple-clicked every single cell in her Farmville field manually (I could not believe my eyes when I saw that they actually DO force people to do that..there is no selection, no user oriented GUI whatsoever, and you have to invest 500+ clicks a DAY to harvest, plow, reseed a field..it was WORSE than manual labour!) and that she could only see me because she had planted something that took longer than most crops to ripen..

Well around that time I knew that the hooved one walks among us and is making ultragay facebook games with user interfaces from hell that put the worst DOS era games to shame.

So yea, addiction it isn’t, because that word is too WEAK for the STUPIDITY AND WEAKNESS involved.

• Hurr says:

P.S. Almost forgot, totally banged that chick! Cha-ching and FLASHING TITS to Alec Meer.

BROFIST! to the rest.

32. pupsikaso says:

I’d rather see PC gaming die (it’ll never happen, though, we all know that) than have “social” games be seen as it’s revitalizer.