Dead Space 2D? The Swapper

By Jim Rossignol on October 21st, 2010 at 2:41 pm.

Actually, it’s even more interesting than that. Forthcoming indie platformer The Swapper by Facepalm Games is, in their words, an “indie game and a story about treating human beings as objects. It features interesting platform puzzles and multiplayer based around never-before-seen game mechanics. Of course blended with an ambiguous storyline. Yet it’s something you’ve not yet seen.” The video, pointed out to me by Comrade Betts, shows off some of those features, and gives us a taste of the Trine-meets-Limbo-in-space atmosphere it has going on. Go take a look, this is a contender for one of the big IGF prizes, I suspect.

, .

AndrewC says:

Well at least 2D indie platformers do always try to have gorgeously distinct art direction.

2. Mythar says:

I’m reminded of ‘The Prestige’

3. Wolfox says:

While the animation on the humanoid protagonist is awkward, the art style is indeed distinctive. It feels “neon”, for some reason, and that’s quite interesting, to say the truth.

In terms of game mechanics, it also seems interesting. It’s not entirely original (feels like a variation of the “shadow” mechanics in Braid and P.B.Winterbottom), but distinctive enough. I’ll keep an eye on this one, I guess.

• Tacroy says:

I’m sure there’s an in-game explanation for the wobbly player animation – after all, you just entered that body what, five seconds ago?

4. RagingLion says:

I think I can see where this going. I they can pull of some kind of statement about the treating ‘human beings as objects’ then I am going to be mega into this game. I can feel how using that mechanic would pull you into that way of thinking just by playing it.

5. Lewie Procter says:

That looks lovely.

6. Bhazor says:

I don’t know. To me the phrase “trying too hard” comes to mind.

• Angry Internet Man says:

Dear One-Man Indie Developer,

It looks like you’ve slaved over your game for months and lost perspective. It may be good, it may be bad, all I can tell you right now is that it has one fatal flaw. You tried too hard. That’s all. Sorry.

NEVER TRY TOO LITTLE OR TRY TOO HARD!

TRY JUST RIGHT!

Regards,
      Angry internet Man.

PS: See also: Goldilocks

Lambchops says:

Looks pretty; as pointed out by Wolfox it looks like it’s delving a little deeper into mechanics which have already been explored by other puzzle platformers. But I’m a sucker for this type of thing if it’s designed and presented well so I’ll most definitely be buying it.

Plus I’ve got a feeling (possibly the same one as RagingLion) that their intention could well be to pull the rug out from under you at some point during the game.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yeah, it doesn’t look too innovative. I’m not sure how much success this will garner.

8. jeremypeel says:

I love RPS. I collate my thoughts after watching a video and half of it has already been said already!

Like RagingLion hints at, the duplication mechanic looks like a great way to evoke the existential cloning horror like that at the end of The Prestige (thanks Mythar!). Particularly in the way the player in the video seems to be using his clone to give a leg-up to the soon-to-be next clone ad infinitum, each previous clone falling to their death. Human beings as objects indeed.

It’s a really powerful, scary idea with plenty of depth, and the game seems to have the perfect mechanics to match. Could be just as powerful in multiplayer I expect. Would be amazing to see it all pulled off.

9. Xrabohrok says:

That looks like a cool idea and all, but I can’t help looking at the walk animation and think to myself “a-derp”.

10. Quests says:

Bah, the usual platform and physics type of puzzles. Not for me, too childish.

For a minute there i hoped it was Isometric 2d.

When o when will people get back to IM

11. frags says:

Facepalm? facepalm?!

Facepalm Games

[img]http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/061/361/original/picard-facepalm.jpg?1279913952[/img]

12. Cory says:

What does this have to do with Dead Space?

13. dethgar says:

“indie game and a story about treating human beings as objects.”

Why the fuck would I do this in a video game? I do it daily in real life.

14. pupsikaso says:

Jim, no offense, but this is the dumbest headline I’ve ever seen you write on RPS. When I was browsing the site when this was first posted, I simply scrolled right past because the first two words were “Dead Space”, a game I am completely uninterested in. And yet the article is about an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT GAME THAT HAS NO RELATION TO DEAD SPACE WHATSOEVER.

Yes, you can see I am quite angry, because I love indie games dearly, and this indie game looks to be very interesting. And yet I nearly missed it because of your erroneous post title (perhaps intended to lure in more viewers with it’s “sensational” feel? Surely not).

Please, I humbly ask you to spare my overstressed nerves and not post titles with names of irrelevant games for articles of entirely different games.

• Dominic White says:

Alternative solution: Develop an attention span longer than half a second, so that your eyes don’t immediately glaze over when confronted with an article title, forcing you to skip everything beneath it.