The RPS Electronic Wireless Show 45: Stern!

By Alec Meer on October 21st, 2010 at 6:18 pm.

Indeed. It is true. We’ve put our mouths in front of a microphone and made noises at it once again. Only not very much this time, I’m afraid. Instead, the bulk of the larynx-gymnastics originate from Splash Damage’s Senior Game Designer Ed Stern, who’s behind most of the words and a whole lot of other things in Brink.

Also making vocal appearances are a cartel of RPS readers who attended the recent Eurogamer Expo, at which this chat was held. They had questions. They asked them. Ed answered. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Many Bothans died.

If that still isn’t enough mumbly Britvoices for you, you’ll be glad to hear RPS’ Alec Meer (I hate that guy), Quintin Smith and Karen Gillan or someone were also in attendance, chiming in with matters relevant, string-related or just plain rude.

You can listen to it below; I’m going to spare you the usual breakdown for this one, as unlike Wireless Show Classic Edition, as everyone is certainly calling them, this doesn’t really roam topics all that much. It’s largely about Brink, but gag-packed as well as fact-packed. He’s very good value for money, that Mr Stern.

Includes: discussion about talking string, the Village People and how many words rhyme with Brink.

Alas, a system bug that we would really like our podcast hosts to get back to us about now please means this is unlikely to end up on iTunes any time soon. Sorry about that.

But you can download it here and manually copy it to your iDevice or whatever else you people like to stick into your ears these days. Also sorry about the big CLUNK noise at the start, by the way.

Or! You can watch it below, via the webcam on Kieron’s netbook. It’s a little in the area of stop-frame animation and the sound’s on the tinny side, but at least you can see who’s saying what. You could try muting it and playing it at the same time as the audio file, like fuzzy Powerpoint slides in a lecture.

Thanks to Ed, and everyone who attended on the day. YOU DID WELL.

, , , , .

1. The_B says:

Ahh, RPS Bingo!

chiming in with matters relevant,

Alec.

string-related

Quinns

or just plain rude.

Kieron

2. terry says:

A very pleasing waterfall ambience.

3. DMJ says:

Not enough Bothans died. Resume killing them. We will tell you when to stop.

4. Lewis Denby says:

Can I just say that I’m almost certain I was scratching my nose, rather than picking it, at 02:10.

5. Nick says:

Ed Stern is awesome and Brink sounds great. That is all.

6. Dances to Podcasts says:

*dances*

7. Erik J says:

You had me at the title’s Heavy Metal reference.

8. Rei Onryou says:

Curses, the video cuts out just before Ed answered my Minecraft question – perhaps the most important part!

It was a great experience being part of the interview. Everytime Ed looked at me, my heart fluttered and I fell for him more. Ed is a bastion of all things great in the PC gaming industry. Moar please!

I think RPS should get readers involved more. It certainly made Alec’s life a lot easier during the day. Assuming it did make it easier.

9. M says:

Where’s Jim/John’s one they said they were recording, eh? EH?

10. Henrik J says:

Did the show switch to a new adress? Episode 41 is the latest on the iTunes feed that i used to get the show from

Lambchops says:

The Legion guys are pronouncing it . . . oh wait wrong comment thread

12. The Dark One says:

When he mentioned baking down textures to tens of megabytes from several gigs, he’s talking about t hat megatexture stuff, right? I’ve never understood how that’s supposed to work.

• Larington says:

Well, one way it helps – In traditional texturing, you’ll often have a single texture that’s repeated over and over along a wall section, but that looks dull and can contribute to broken immersion via a game world that looks two piecemeal/construction/fake. To reduce that problem, an artist can place additional textures with see-through bits in layers on top of the underlaying base texture (Known as decals), stuff like graffiti or damage to the wall (etc). The thing is, when you render the level in game, you end up rendering all of the base texture including sections covered by a decal, then the renderer draws the decals on top of that.

It amounts to a waste of system resources because there’re pixels on a wall that get overwritten possibly several times.

With mega textures, you can place a metric crap ton of decals on top of the base texture, then when you compile the level from an editable form into a playable form, the compiler will burn/transfer the decals *into* the base texture as it creates the mega texture. As a result, you’re rendering one layer of texture, instead of rendering that layer and hundreds of decals on top.

I think it helps in other ways too, but, that’s all I can think of at the moment.

Shakermaker says:

Genre: Polka

lolled

stahlwerk says:

Kieron, in a noisy situation like this, sound quality actually improves if you disable any noise suppressing functions in your webcam recording program, or the camera’s driver, or your audio driver, or somewhere else entirely. Just untick everything that says “use ambient noise reduction” or similar.

Result: crispy, breathing sound, no more underwater tinnyness.

15. Dean says:

If you want it in iTunes, just choose Add pocast via RSS or something similar. Think it’s in the Tools menu. Or Advanced / Subscribe to podcast on older versions. Then just stick in http://rps.libsyn.com/rss and it’ll work.

16. Psyk says:

ARGH even worse sound than normal :( Buy a decent mic pleaseeeeeeeeeee

17. Robert says:

I watched 20 minutes, but I could not find the hot redhead. :sadface:

18. Peter says:

Great! But………………….Chrome becomes non responsive when i goto this page (using IE at the moment), its probably the embeded quicktime thing.

19. Tom OBedlam says:

This was awesome to bear witness to. Ed was so funny and passionate, I’ve been telling everyone about this meeting since.

Later, I got given a brink t-shirt by one of the testers :)
    (R)evolution

20. Shadowcat says:

So, that Ed… he sure can talk about that game!

Frankly, it all sounds awesome. If it wasn’t a multiplayer shooter, my dollars would probably be ready to spend. Still, I’d rather see a team make a game they’re passionate about, and I really hate it when a single-player campaign suffers for the sake of adding multiplayer, so I’m more than willing to sacrifice a single-player Brink for the good of the multiplayer gamers out there :)

21. wcanyon says:

Ok so you have to use Advanced to subscribe to a RSS in iTunes?? Good lord. Glad I’m on Android.

22. wcanyon says:

Guys, how about an intro? I listened to the first 10 minutes twice and still didn’t catch what game you were talking about. I subscribe via RSS so I just get the podcast without reading the landing page. It’s possible that you did say “Brink” in that first 10 minutes because I was working at the time, but I was certainly listening the whole time. Plus, the intro music/whatever is cool.