Wot I Think – Fallout: New Vegas

By Quintin Smith on October 21st, 2010 at 4:36 pm.

Why won't VATS let us shoot guys in the nipples? I don't understand.

Obsidian’s pseudo-sequel to Bethesda’s Fallout 3 hits the UK tomorrow, arriving amid a raft of positive reviews. But I see you there, perched atop that blasted rock, canteen in hand, waiting for the official RPS review. That wait is over. Here’s Wot I Think of New Vegas.

There’s a distant sound that can be heard throughout your time with New Vegas. Quieter than the cheery 1930s pop hits that warble from your radio, quieter even than the chirps of night-time insects, or the long gasps of wind blowing across the wasteland. It is the sound of Obsidian phoning this game in. I’m talking long distance, reversed charges, not-giving-a-fuck.

Now, if it’s purely size you care about, New Vegas has you covered. From the moment your character (a professional courier who gets attacked and left for dead in the intro movie) wakes up in a backwater town, you’re introduced to a sprawling wasteland even bigger than that of Fallout 3. There are dozens of settlements to find. There are (shh!) secrets to stumble across. There are four and a half shitloads of different weapons. There is a heaving mass of character perks, just waiting to be unlocked as you progress through the game’s wide array of quests.

But something Bethesda were very aware of when they turned Fallout into a first-person game is that the wasteland is potentially quite a boring setting for the player to be set free in. I mean, you think wasteland, you think deserts, charred ruins and grumpy survivors wearing faded, drab clothes.

So, Bethesda went to great lengths to infuse their D.C. wasteland with colour. It was populated by kooky, occasionally even cartoonish characters- it’s no accident that super mutants and the Brotherhood of Steel featured so prominently. Then you had the independant towns, which were all built in or around visually striking setpieces, and Bethesda even built a labyrinth out of the subway system. Whatever direction you walked in Fallout 3, you felt confident you’d find something interesting.

Whatever direction you walk in New Vegas, you might find something interesting, but it’s much more likely you’ll find something pretty uninteresting, like an empty shack or an NCR army outpost where you’ll hear two different potato-faced soldiers voiced by two different actors say the same line of dialogue about the Mojave being hot. There’s also a slim chance you’ll find nothing at all but a few irradiated creatures, since the game has entire acres of barren scrub and desert that you absolutely would not see in Fallout 3. In my whole time with New Vegas, I found nothing as architecturally entertaining as Megaton, and nothing as eerie or inventive as Little Lamplight. Hiking long distances felt like a chore.

Maybe you’re reading this and thinking that a more bleak and empty and therefore a more “realistic” vision of the wasteland would suit you just fine. Trouble is, it’s more than that. It can be hard to tell the difference between a lack of content and an authentically barren wasteland, but sometimes New Vegas is so impressively bold in its laziness that the distinction is clear.

Look, here’s a shot of the incredible NCR sharecropper farms, the “pride” of the state! One of the guards working here told me that they have to keep the place well-defended, just so every wastelander walking past doesn’t come in and stuff themselves. This isn’t actually a joke. It’s just a disconnect between the scriptwriter and the whoever designs the actual areas.

And here’s a bustling casino floor in crazy New Vegas!

I took those screenshots from quite far back to get a sense of space, but they’re not staged. Almost all of New Vegas simply has a quiet minimalism to it, which is probably for the best since there’s a pretty awful bug with Windows 64 bit that dropkicks your framerate if you’re standing close to several people at the same time.

More frustrating are the absences where you know there’s meant to be an actual feature, but it was evidently forgotten or abandoned somewhere along the brief road to getting this game on the shelves. I had a long conversation with a bartender about the etiquette for hiring one of her prostitutes, before discovering after three increasingly confused laps of the bar that there were no prostitutes in the building. Later, I encountered a man tied to a pole, begging to be cut down, but there was no way to do so. And in one awesomely surreal instance, I had a chat with a character about their impressive snowglobe collection when there wasn’t a snowglobe in sight.

This isn’t another Vampire: Bloodlines, where an ambitious game’s been left unfinished, because there is no ambition here. Imagine for a second that the above problems didn’t come about because of a lack of time, but because of carelessness, and apply that carelessness to the entire game- most importantly, to the quest design and the dialogue. Now you’re getting close to imagining New Vegas.

God, the dialogue in this game. I think there were several points where I was so bored my brain began rotating in my head like food in a microwave. Whatever voice acting agency or methadone rehabilitation clinic Bethesda used to voice the populace of Oblivion and Fallout 3 is back, and while I didn’t particularly like the writing in Fallout 3 either, the characters in that game were often interesting or disturbed enough that you were curious about what they had to say.

With an unforgivably small number of exceptions (and one character who does actually approach the cast of Bloodlines in his likeability), the characters in New Vegas are all tedious constructs, voiced by people who sound like they’re boring in real life, wandering around in the Oblivion engine, which as we all know is about as charismatic as a slow-motion seizure. The low point for me was probably these guys:

Caesar’s Legion are New Vegas’ big addition to the Fallout lore. They’re a huge, warlike tribe that attempt to embody the characteristics of a Roman legion, meaning leather tunics, little skirts and ferocious disciple- drugs, and as far as I can tell, jokes, are banned. There is just nothing interesting about them, except for the fact that they all pronounce Caesar “Kai-zar”, a mystery I never got to the bottom of.

New Vegas’ saving grace is really just the framework it fails to employ particularly well. While I won’t be returning to New Vegas after this review, I did have a fair amount of fun doing all the old Fallouty things- exploring the wasteland, looting bodies, solving problems with my skills instead of violence and, when I didn’t have the skills, blowing apart head after tender head with my favourite shotgun.

It’s just that this is absolutely not the classic that Fallout 1 and 2 unquestionably were, and it’s also not the bold, bright reinvention that Fallout 3 was. It’s just… here, offering more Fallout. Do you want some more Fallout? If so, New Vegas can provide, so long as you don’t mind your every hour with it being laced with some small amount of disappointment. That is, unless you haven’t played a Fallout game before, but in that case you’re better off with the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3.

I want to finish by talking about the new Hardcore mode, because that’s what lured me into doing this Wot I Think in the first place. Hardcore mode means playing a version of New Vegas where you have to eat, drink and sleep, where ammo takes up weight allowance in your inventory, and where crippled limbs can only be healed by a doctor or with a one-shot Doctor’s Bag item.

In execution, Hardcore mode isn’t hardcore. At all. Playing as a big ol’ science nerd with no survival skill, no barter skill, average endurance and meagre strength, I breezed through all of the obstacles of Hardcore mode without having to think about them.

Just about every building in the game has a working sink somewhere, so water isn’t an issue, and the piñata-like presence of food in the bins and cupboards of New Vegas’ “wasteland” is bolstered by the fruit you find growing naturally everywhere you go. The most you ever end up thinking about Hardcore mode is when some landmine or mutant with a club breaks your leg out in the middle of nowhere, and there’s nothing for it but to fast travel back to a town and go limping the rest of the way to a doctor.

The way it sounded in previews, Hardcore mode was going to provide New Vegas with an additional, survivalist dimension. Instead, it’s just a handful of weak extra rules that have little impact on the rest of the game. Hardcore mode is, at least, ripe for a modder to come along and fix up, which I suppose describes a lot of New Vegas.

What a bummer I am. Look, let me make it all better- here’s a post onSavyGamer about how you can buy Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition for £30. At that price, I’d say this game is probably worth it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Binman88 says:

I didn’t play more than an hour of Fallout 3, and hit a brick wall with Oblivion at some point for the same reason: the dialogue (and voice acting). I wish I could describe my feelings towards the dialogue a little better than just saying “it’s stupid”, but, it’s stupid. Add to that the dull and monotonous voice acting and you have yourself a not-very-believable game world that I have no interest in playing through.

Also, I don’t know if anyone saw the recent promotional video showing Matthew Perry and other famous people contributing voice work, but it illustrates this quite well. The video shows people sitting in sound booths reading lines nice and professionally, but with no real emotion or “realism”. It’s just kinda sad, considering how much money they’ve spent on this game and marketing it. Money could have been put to better use.

2. Bassism says:

Also, holy crap, there were a million posts between me reading the article and my comment, including about 50 mentioning the Caesar thing.

Anyway. I’m going to have to completely ignore everything Quinns has said, and assume it’s the FO3 I always wanted FO3 to be.

And regardless of the writing, it can’t be as bad as FO3. Still the worst ending I’ve ever played. “I have a mutant with me who is immune to radiation….. what?”

• heh says:

The writing is improved tenfold relative to Fallout 3. Smith is off his rocker.

• Inglourious Badger says:

SO TRUE!? That annoyed me for a week

• Inglourious Badger says:

that comment was @Bassism and his ‘worst ending ever’ comment

• Jeremy says:

Haven’t you guys ever played a game that everyone likes but for some reason just pisses you off? It’s like that girl that should be perfect for you, but for some reason, you really just can’t stand her. I’m not about to write off Quinns opinions simply because he had a different view than most, or even because he seemed a little hostile towards NV in his review. I’ve been there before, most recently with Dragon Age.. enjoyable, but something was lacking either as a result of expectations or whatever, while most people would say DA was one of the better games to come out in the last 3 years.

• tomwaitsfornoman says:

@Jeremy

I know exactly what you mean. I HATED Dead Space, while everyone else seemed to think it was the Science Fiction Games Messiah. Quinns has my empathy.

• Jeremy says:

Dang, totally messed up that reply. In an effort to stay on topic… F that Fawkes for not saving my life. Destiny is a poor excuse for laziness.

• Bassism says:

I’m not dismissing Quinns’ right to an opinion. I’m just refusing to adopt his opinion or let it colour my own experience of the game, particularly since so may people describe it as something I’d enjoy. It makes no real difference to me what he enjoys or doesn’t enjoy. Though in this case it’s surprising, since I tend to agree with him 90% of the time.

• Jeremy says:

Yeah, sorry about that Bassism, totally wasn’t supposed to be a reply directed at you. It was more of a general statement. I’m all for opinions, but some here have an “RPS is doomed” mentality because a game they like was disliked by the new guy.

3. Don says:

Regarding the different pronunciations of Caesar in the game, I don’t think it’s a mystery that needs to be solved. It’s clear, at least to me, that the Legion was founded by people who had no idea how Caesar was actually pronounced and by the time they found out it they’d been saying it wrong, it was too late to do anything but shrug their shoulders and stake out anyone who claims they’re a bunch of idiots.

• heh says:

The Legion guys are pronouncing it correctly. That’s the point.

4. Mac says:

Played it for 30 mins, got bored and haven’t been back yet …

• Sunjammer says:

What person pays full price for a new game then only plays it for 30 minutes?

• Mac says:

Someone who has better things to do with his time than waste it on this game … it’s just teh same game as FO3, but with more bugs.

Infact, without the texture packs, etc that came out from the modders in FO3, FO:NV looks worse – are you really telling me that professional developers cannot improve on FO3 given over two years of development, yet modders were able to improve it in weeks?

What have Obsidian been doing with their time – they didn’t even have to write an engine – just add content that works …

You’re right though – complete waste of money.

• kevink says:

Someone who also likes Quinn’s take on game journalism?

• Bhazor says:

And one of those better things to do is to argue about games he doesn’t care about/has barely played. Cool bro.

• El Stevo says:

@Sunjammer:

He doesn’t like the game, so he’s already wasted his money. If he continues to play it despite not liking it then he’s wasted his time as well.

• Sunjammer says:

I dunno, even when i bought games that i grew to rabidly hate (for instance Jade Empire), I still gave them a proper fair shake if only to protected my own investment. Whenever i hear someone say “I spent [small amount of time] with it and not going back” it makes me wonder if they actually paid for the thing.

• Mac says:

I’ll play it at some point – but i’ll wait for teh fan made mods to improve teh look of the place, and aslo fix the game. Good to see an official patch out already fixing some of teh problems.

5. Langman says:

It’s okay guys. I’m pretty sure this is RPS just doing one of their satirical, post-ironic comedy articles in the form of a psuedo-review.

The game itself is brilliant.

• kevink says:

Nah, that’s just Quintin. The only writer here in RPS I used to ignore.
      Something that’s proven to be pretty difficult to do now that he’s the “official” Kieron’s replacement and his writing is all over the place.

I’d rather have extra Walker, Rossignol or Meer, though, but adolescent readers seem to approve of him (he adores all indie, hates WoW, and all that stuff). Now he chooses the hit the cool guys used to hate over the expansion all the old-schoolers want to love. Oooh, rebel kid.

That’s your RPS now. You’re outdated, man.

• HexagonalBolts says:

• Salamander says:

And I can’t believe RPS has writers who disparage the work habits of an entire development studio because they didn’t enjoy one game.

• Zogtee says:

“haha, I can’t believe RPS has readers who send angry messages to the reviewers, I thought this was the sort of place for more mature people who appreciated differences in opinion.”

Things are okay as long as you paint within the lines, so to speak. Offer an unpopular opinion and it can get really juvenile in here.

• Tetragrammaton says:

You ignored him because has different taste? The whole point of the wot i think is an opinion piece. The writer offers his own thoughts based on his experience and seen through the lens of his personality. Getting upset that he didn’t tailor to specifically match your own opinion is juvenile in the extreme.

• kevink says:

@Tetragrammaton: As you use the “ignore” thing I guess you’re referring to me and not the original comment. In any case, I’ll use this opportunity to properly reply (hopefully) to Zogtee, as I reply-failed before and it got published on page 3.

—–
      @Zogtee: I wish it was only something about “unpopular opinions”.

The fact that he’s dissing an Obsidian game is the less relevant aspect, at least for me, the way he does it and the reasoning behind it is. His overall “style” in his trajectory around here is what clashes with what I always expected and liked about RPS all this years.

But, NVM, welcome to the internet!
      ——

And now @Tetragrammaton proper.
      No, I didn’t get upset because his review goes against my opinion. Read above

I have no opinion on this game, as I haven’t played it yet, nor I’m an Obsidian fanboy by any means. If anything, I’m just an average, pretty casual, Fallout fan. The problem, as I mention above, is a different one.

While Mr. Smith is enthusiastic and passionate, which is nice, that also works both ways. When he likes something, he is able to sell sand in the desert. When he doesn’t, he posts reviews like this, which I find lacking on taste, wittiness and, well, fairness. I understand the meaning of this “Wot I think” as much as anybody else, but I also have a grasp (probably idealized) of what the RPS style of game journalism is. And, unfortunately, I find Mr. Smith is usually out of line for one reason or another.

But he also creates the most controversial and hit-hungry posts. So he’s probably good for RPS if only for that.

I know. It looks like I hate the guy.
      Not really. The same way I don’t hate Brad for Elemental or the GoG guys for that prank.
      But that doesn’t mean I’m willing to read, agree or even pay attention to everything they post.

Anyway, stop feeding me. My trolling is getting too much educate.

6. Wulf says:

Also, I’ll repeat it for everyone on page 2, too.

When you start the game, you’ll be offered a Wild Wasteland trait.

For the love of all that’s good, TAKE IT.

That is all. :p

• heh says:

Also, if you’re going to use Hardcore mode (which you really should), don’t pussy out and play on Normal. Play on Hard or Very Hard to maximize the effect.

• Danarchist says:

I play on normal non hardcore and I guarantee I can break your arm before you can tweet “Someones breaking my arm!” so there! Game settings do not a man make.

Also wulf is 100% right, although they should have called that trait “Put the humor back in fallout out”

• heh says:

You can be a big, fat, blubbering vagina in a video game. Don’t fret, Cro-Magnon.

• plugmonkey says:

“Game settings do not a man make. ”

From what I’ve heard, I think the point is that on lower difficulty settings, you have to eat, drink or sleep so infrequently that having Hardcore mode enabled makes little difference.

If the feature is something that you’re excited about, if you don’t increase the difficulty, you won’t get the best out of it.

• Danarchist says:

It was more a comic attempt to make fun of people who have some sort of odd machismo in the settings they play their games on. The single player version of “Hardcore raiderz!” in WoW. I imagine if game settings somehow altered their state of being they would spend less time stuffed in lockers.

I was not aware the difficulty slider effected the speed with which you consume food.

7. Tei says:

Is already unlocked here in Europe?
    I am waiting for it to unlock, to be able to play the game. This review surprise me, It seems to describe my opinion about Fallout 3. You mean New Vegas is even more dull than Fallout3? , Oh my god.. It could see that I have wasted my money… but maybe not!.. maybe I am a weird type and I will enjoy the game anyway. Lowering espectations is not a bad thing, I will not take for granted anything that the game give to me.

I was very happy playing Alfa Protocol, I was not planning to buy Fallout New Vegas, but all the bug videos picked my curiosity. I have buy New Vegas to enjoy the bugs. If the game is really that horrible dull to play, I will put it on the backlog, and wait for some recomended mods to happend, then I will return. I kind of love Obsidian, these guys have never failed to me. If you don’t buy Obsidian games, what else would you buy? Bioshocks? *laughts*

8. Wulf says:

Gods damn it, kobzon. Stop having my thoughts and then describing them better than I can, it’s annoying.

But yes, that’s what I was trying to get at, I actually got this feeling from Oblivion, too. Oblivion needed mods to fill it out, it felt empty, in an almost soulless, generated sort of way. There was plenty of stuff there, yes, but at the same time… I spent most of my time just trudging past the same damn trees, through the same green grass. Unique Landscapes adds SO MUCH to Oblivion for me.

And I felt the same way with Fallout 3. Perhaps the reason Fallout 3 felt a lot alike to me was how often stuff is reused in Bethesda games? I don’t know. But I walked everywhere in Fallout 3 and I got that same feeling of emptiness, too. So I know exactly what you’re talking about.

9. Qjuad says:

Also, Obsidian…lazy? There are for more locations (and larger ones at that) in NV than FO3. Oh! and everyone play without the radio, the ambient soundtrack is absolutely brilliantly used.

And that opening paragraph is a bit rude.

• Wulf says:

If I were a cynical person, I’d actually say that some critics are hard on Obsidian because it’s ‘cool’ to be hard on them, and that makes it safe. The dangerous thing to do would be to outright call an Obsidian game brilliant, I remember one review saying that Mask of the Betrayer was the current gen’s Planescape: Torment, the comments there were funny. First it was people being angry, then it was people playing the game and coming back to say no, I was an idiot, this reviewer is actually right. This amused me a great deal.

But yes, bashing Obsidian seems cool, so it’s a very safe thing to do. You can’t really come to any harm for doing it, you know? Bash Alpha: Protocol, or this, it’s expected. So you won’t catch any kind of slack for whatever review you write. On the upside, you also get bonus points for ‘telling it like it is’. It’s a very cold, analytical decision to make, and as I said, a very safe one. I suspect that Obsidian games will continue having a few reviews like this until everyone figures out what Obsidian are currently like, and that it’s not cool to bash them any more, then it won’t be safe to bash them.

And really, from all the reports I’ve read around the Internet, Obsidian have fixed most of Bethesda’s worst bugs, it’s less buggy than Fallout 3, whilst having more content, better content, and a larger area. The only reason for a negative review of New Vegas is the ‘cool to bash Obsidian’ factor, in my opinion. What’s interesting though is that most critics seem to have been able to figure out this time around that there’s actually not much of a valid basis to bash Obsidian on, even Eurogamer, who tend to be fairly harsh, gave it a glowing review.

And that Quinns didn’t play it with Wild Wasteland is missing 50% of the point of the game, if you’re a Fallout fan. But I distinctly get the idea that Quinns isn’t specifically a Fallout fan at all, but a Fallout 3 fan, which explains everything. :p

• Lilliput King says:

You certainly do talk a lot of balls, Wulf.

• Delusibeta says:

@Lilliput King: That’s the PS3 version. If Fallout 3 was anything to go buy, of course that version got more bugs (You Mileage May Vary). Here’s the Metacritic of the PC version:
      Greenorama.

• Ateius says:

“If I were a cynical person, I’d actually say that some critics are hard on Obsidian because it’s ‘cool’ to be hard on them, and that makes it safe.”

Look at this comments thread. Look at the rabid defense of Obsidian making up the vast majority of the posts.

Now think about what you just said.

This is “safe”?

The safe thing to do would have been to gloss over the bugs and hail everything else as pure brilliance. Then Quinns would be getting love and hugs from the comments.

• Lilliput King says:

@Delusibeta

The ‘greenorama’ was sort of my point, but cheers. That is a significantly better example.

• Nalano says:

Ateius, RPS isn’t the internet.

10. Phinor says:

I’m not sure the £30 deal is worth it if you actually want to play these games anytime soon. I ordered that Fallout 3 GOTY + Fallout New Vegas combo two weeks ago and I’m still waiting for either of them to be dispatched. Supposedly they haven’t had Fallout 3 GOTY in stock for weeks even though it still says on the product page that usually dispatched in 3 days. And I guess I (well my friend, bought it for him, not myself) won’t be playing New Vegas anytime soon either as the release date is tomorrow but Hut has not done anything with my order yet.

11. Graham says:

“If you don’t buy Obsidian games, what else would you buy? Bioshocks? *laughts*”

Tei speaks the truth. I just finished Alpha Protocol, am in the middle of an Arcanum replay (and anyone who wants an interesting, epic, free-form RPG for $44 less than New Vegas should grab Arcanum from GOG) and just started New Vegas. And that wasn’t intentional! Just the sort of games I’m in to right now…

12. Matt says:

I was plannign on getting this and sacking my mates tonight.

/caress Quin

Cheers for the wallet saver

Guess Ill go out in to that scarey place with higher defination then blueray even!. If anyone here is from the Chester area, go to Alexanders bar by 8 tonight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k is playing. Afterwards there will be LAN joy at mine ^^ bring your own copy of WC3, DOW and Q2. :)

13. Spoon says:

While I can’t really argue with a lot of your assessments on New Vegas, I am mainly surprised that you liked Fallout 3 so much. A huge farm that is underrepresented is much better to me than say…. an entire world where nobody is farming and everyone is still subsisting off of 200 year old food and/or each other. I really disliked Fallout 3′s wasteland. Many of the qualities you pointed towards favorably (action packed in every corner, comic-book like characters) were things that I had wished they had done differently. Also, F3 was very much the same sort of food pinata that New Vegas is, just of the 200 year old food pinata variety. Granted, F3 has no Hardcore mode to worry about and thus would not really need to worry about regulating food, but it still breaks the “This is a harsh wasteland!” illusion quite nicely.

To me, neither game was as good as it could have been, but so far New Vegas is giving me the more satisfying experience. I think the two main reasons for that would have to be the much-improved RPG guts of the thing and a setting that just FEELS much more like Fallout 1/2. The greater focus on SPECIAL stats, massive increase of skill checks in dialogue, and distinct rarity of permanent enhancement items went a long way towards my enjoyment. I also like how the game makes you struggle for the first few hours with crap weaponry, and how leaving places frequented by humanity quickly becomes incredibly dangerous. If the game uses an autoleveling system, I sure as hell haven’t noticed.

The game is not without its flaws, and you have went over many of them perfectly. The ridiculousness of Caesar’s legion and the broken “Hardcore” mode are particular standouts of disappointing new ideas present in the game. I liked what they tried to do with some of the skills (like science no longer being just a different way to pick locks) and meh’d at some of the others (shuffling of weapons including: small and big guns being rolled into guns, flame-based weaponry moving to energy, missile launchers moving to explosives). I like the new mutants (the cazadors and the night stalkers, in particular) and am happy that feral ghouls and cannibalistic raiders are not overused nearly as much as they were in Fallout 3. I swear, those two groups made up 95% of Fallout 3′s humanoid population.

TL;DR: New Vegas is flawed, but still enjoyable. Some things are a step back from Fallout 3 and some a step forward, but this old Fallout fan rates this game more highly than F3.

Oh, and I’m at around the 20 hour mark, so my opinions could change if I run into some particularly stupid story elements or something later.

14. The Klugman Revolution says:

15. CommissarXiii says:

Although hardcore mode does not simulate dehydration, starvation and sleep deprivation accurately enough to *force* the player to maintain their health, it does provide a framework so the player *can* maintain their health.

I’ve decided to play so that I find a bed when the sun sets and chow down before embarking on a quest. I enforce my own rules to lend a bit of realism knowing that I can bend or break them as tedium dictates. A more aggressive hardcore mode might only serve as a mechanical challenge rather than a gripping wasteland experience.

16. Incognito says:

A very odd review. It really goes against everything said in almost every other review AND the opinions in from people playing the game in the huge thread about the game on the neogaf forum. Not that I think that Quintin should write anything else than what he thinks, but I´m gonna go with the other reviews and pick up this game to try it myself.

17. Oak says:

Brutal. It’s leaving me pretty cold as well, to my surprise. The first few missions have been really dry.

18. BobsLawnService says:

Wasn’t Quimm the same chick who dissed Alpha Protocol on RPS? If so then I’ll definitely pick up New Vegas. Alpha Protocol is possibly the best game I’ve played this year.

19. noobnob says:

There’s something wrong here: not with Quintin’s opinions on the game, but how he wrote them in this article. It feels like it clashes with the other 3 RPS heads’ writing style.

• Salamander says:

You mean in that he writes his words like a complete asshole?

Noticed that as well. That first paragraph is embarrassing. What happened to this site? Oh right, Keiron Gillen left.

• Lilliput King says:

You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. You clearly don’t know this site well enough if you think Keiron would have been less of an arsehole than this.

• Salamander says:

Gillen peppers his asshole remarks with a layer of charm that Quintin Smith lacks.

• BobsLawnService says:

Lilliput, Keiron has earned the right to be a raging asshole when he chooses to be. Quinn comes across more as a favour that one of the other RPS team members owes to a fiance or something.

“Sure, I’ll let your baby brother write a few articles for our website.”

• Lilliput King says:

If what we’re doing is debating the relative worth of the RPS writers, Keiron lost all the good will he had accrued over the many years long service on the “hey baby” debacle.

Quinns likes a laugh, and I like that.

• Vinraith says:

I must admit, this particular piece made me miss Kieron more than any of his going away messages.

• Web Cole says:

Why is it that upon disagreeing with someone else’s stated subjective opinion (that’s why its called Wot I Think folks!) that people then feel the need to make disparaging remarks about that person?

“I think your wrong and here’s why”

not

“I think your wrong and you have a tiny penis! Ha ha!”

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

You jest, of course. Quinns’ Butchering Pathologic series was one of the formative RPS articles.

He’s thoroughly aggravating when his opinions are grotesquely wrong, mind.

• Vinraith says:

@Web Cole

Indeed, kind of like how a game review should be:

I liked/didn’t like this game and here’s why…

rather than:

I didn’t like this game and the devs are lazy fucks.

A lot of the grief Quinns is getting in this thread isn’t about the opinion he expressed about the game so much as the way he chose to express it.

• kevink says:

Funny. The Pathologic series of articles was precisely what put Quintin on my ignore list. Selling smoke passionately isn’t necessarily good game journalism (or “blogism”? or whatever RPS is).

He was tolerable when he was just an occasional junior writer. But now he’s unleashed, and the hits keep coming! That has to be good!

• FunkyBadger says:

You tell ‘im Kevink. Oh, hang on, who the fuck are again?

Top article, one of the many Quinns has written. (You don’t have to agree with all of them, you numpties. Like Gillen wrote to please everyone. Jesus.)

• kevink says:

“You tell ‘im Kevink. Oh, hang on, who the fuck are again?”

Certainly not someone who idealizes Mr. Smith.
      And also someone entitled to an opinion.

Yes. Weird.

• FunkyBadger says:

“And also someone entitled to an opinion.”

This is just one of the points we disagree on.

• kevink says:

Because my opinion is controversial?

Oh, the irony!

20. Jaedar says:

Review mentioned Little Lamplight in a positive way. Actions taken:
    Stop reading.
    Disregard opinion.
    Make note to be wary of opinions from the same source in future.
    Make annoying post detailing actions taken.

• El Stevo says:

If the residents are forced to leave when they reach adulthood… where do the children come from?

• BobsLawnService says:

Teen pregnancy – Scourge of the wastelands?

21. Jimbo says:

Steam being used as the Release Date Police is infuriating. My copy arrived yesterday and I can’t play it until tomorrow, just because I’m in the UK? That’s basically game racism if you ask me. I bet I wouldn’t have this trouble with a pirate copy.

22. Morrius says:

Yeah, so this review is completely wrong. Utterly wrong. Apart from it manages to get the name right.

23. Chapp says:

I’m liking it so far: lots of quests, some of them trivial, geographical framing of the game in terms of difficulty that can be surpassed with luck and skill (think going to San fran right off the bat in FO2)

I know it sounds wierd, but there was always a feeling a ‘long trek through the wastes’ that existed in FO1/2 that was masked by quick travel. And it returns here in a fashion. Maybe its just because i’m only 1/6th of the way through it doesn’t show it all to me, but as from the very start of the game you have ‘where you want to go’ in sight, and it will be either luck or a journey that’ll get you there.

As for DC being chock full of interesting things, it always seemed that the vast majority of anything interesting was in the SE Quadrant of the map, with 1-2 points of interest in the 8 directions of the compass…

I will say that I also have experienced the same kind of ‘huh’? with Hardcore, the cooking crafting is neat, but theres little reason to do so when fridges are just chock full of items to pillage. The rarity of Doctor’s bags also makes it very likely that you’d just as quickly fast travel to the starting docter if you fall too far and lose both legs or what have you. Playing with an IQ of 1 hoping to play a ‘braindead’ tribal, I’m also taken aback by the amount of the game thats open to me. Apparantly I talk just like everyone else save for 1-2 points of conversation that had no bearing on anything.

I just hope the sense of wonder continues elsewhere past the starting areas…

24. Christian Otholm says:

Jesus Christ, you’re welcome to disagree with the man’s assessment of the game but to flat out question his professionality after disagreeing with him on one article and then citing it as the entire decline of the website is beyond insulting. Et tu, RPS commenters?

• Salamander says:

If people are questioning his professionalism it’s due to distinctly unprofessional and obnoxious statements such as “It is the sound of Obsidian phoning this game in. I’m talking long distance, reversed charges, not-giving-a-fuck.”

• Outsider says:

My thoughts exactly, Christian. So much drama.

• Lilliput King says:

That was funny! What exactly are you people looking for in a games review except an opinion and a bit of a laugh?

Salamander is representative of the death of this comments section.

• Lilliput King says:

That was re: Salamander’s response to the “phoning it in” line.

• Salamander says:

Yes, stating that a development company doesn’t give a fuck about their project when you aren’t privy to even a modicum of the inner workings of the dev cycle is rib-tickling stuff.

• plugmonkey says:

So, a journalist questioning the professionalism of an entire development studio because he doesn’t like their game is fine.

But a commentor questionning the professionalism of a journalist because he doesn’t like his abusive tone is unreasonable and unacceptable?

I think we should tread carefully here. We appear to be on the brink of some sort of paradox, one that may well destroy the entire universe.

• noobnob says:

I, for one, am not questioning his entire career based on this article. Have read his other articles, they were fine and fun to read. This one just feels out of place and isn’t that informative or entertaining as other WITs.

• Lilliput King says:

So, a journalist questioning the professionalism of an entire development studio because he doesn’t like their game is unreasonable and unacceptable.

But a commentor questioning the professionalism of a journalist because he doesn’t like his article is fine?

• plugmonkey says:

Christ man, careful! We’re on the brink!

Although I would say that the journalist has considerably less evidence for his claim, and that the commentors have been considerably more measured in their wording.

Quinns didn’t just say that he thought Obsidian were in decline, and I haven’t seen anyone calling Quinns a lazy, talentless hack.

• perilisk says:

Yeah, I felt a little offended on behalf of Obsidian for that “not giving a fuck” statement, if only because so many of the leads are BIS veterans who I imagine were both pretty excited and pretty passionate about making this.

• Christian Otholm says:

Firstly, even assuming the validity of the “he said they were unprofessional first!” argument: So two wrongs make a right?

Secondly, the game has been reported as being fairly buggy by others admissions – that lays a decent foundation for Quinns’ argument that the rest of the game is mared by the same degree of unprofessionalism.

Thirdly, it’s fair to make claims about unprofessionalism if say Quinns had written a review with nothing but the word “fuck” six thousand times, but he laid out a reasoned argument why he did not think that it was a good game and that the studio was not being professional releasing a game that was buggy and not enjoyable. Yes he used harsh language once and questioned the integrity of the games studio, but are the accusations really about that or are they about people disagreeing with his opinion?

• Bhazor says:

Well I wouldn’t mind his opinion if it wasn’t so wrong. The guy thinks Fallout 3 was well written.

• FunkyBadger says:

Salamander: releasing a bug-ridden game is evidence of not giving a fuck. Doing it again and again and again is, well… that’s something else.

• plugmonkey says:

“Salamander: releasing a bug-ridden game is evidence of not giving a fuck.”

No, not really. It could equally be evidence of a team too passionate to cut features, and over-reaching themselves regardless of the cost to their levels of exhaustion and well being.

I’ve worked on games no-one gave a shit about. They don’t tend to be the most bug-ridden, as any feature, level or character that doesn’t immediately work 100% is simply cut. Because no-one gives a shit about it.

@ Otholm
      I’m well aware that 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Hence the paradox. Both extremes of this argument are ridiculous.

25. Demoe says:

Review seems pretty spot on. If you enjoyed F3 you’ll enjoy this. If you were expecting a really tight, considered game comparable to the original Fallout you’ll be disappointed. It’s obvious this game would have greatly benefited from a few more months in the oven, but holiday sales need to be made!

And for the record, silly references are not my Fallout. I am a firm believer that the Fallout franchise started to smell with number 2.

• stahlwerk says:

With every iteration of a movie series, the probability of it becoming a (literal) parody of itself rises exponentially.

It’s true for the movie industry, why shouldn’t it apply to games as well?

26. Morph says:

Quinns was right about Winter Voices, so I’m hoping he’s not right here because I just bought this. :(

But he’s still a great writer you bunch of internet jerks.

• Lyndon says:

Agreed Quinns is an utterly fantastic writer. One of the best on the interwebs for my money.

Nothing wrong with a bit of sass in a review. Critics shouldn’t have to wear kid gloves when dealing with something they don’t like.

27. Severian says:

Ok, the only question I have is does FONV use the same bullshit VATS combat system that ruined FO3? (forgive me for being lazy and not doing my research)

• plugmonkey says:

I’m going to hazard a “yes”. The first pic of the review is a veritable VATS-o-rama.

• Lars Westergren says:

It has VATS, but you are free not to use it. You can aim through iron sights if you want fast paced fighting.

• Vinraith says:

How could an optional system ruin FO3 anyway, just don’t use it. Hell, replace it with the Bullet time mod, or one of the VATS revamps, or any number of other alternative options from the mod pool for that matter. Bethesda games are moddable sandboxes, if you don’t like something just change it.

• tomwaitsfornoman says:

VATS is available, but NV feels more like a decent shooter, so it isn’t neccessary. I’m about five hours in, and I’ve only used it for the tutorial.

• Zenicetus says:

You have the option of using VATS, but it feels very different from the version in F3. There seems to be a reduction in useful range, at least in the early game. It changes the feel of the combat. You can still lock a target with VATS at fairly long range, and it’s useful for identifying enemies, but you’ll waste a lot of ammo and action points in VATS unless you get into basically shotgun range. By the time you’re that close, you might as well be firing manually unless you just want to see the bullet time animation.

Also, all guns now have iron sights of one kind or another. Some are more useful than others, but it’s a big help for firing manually in the zoomed mode. I get much more consistent one-shot sneak attack criticals by firing with iron sights than in VATS, at least in the early game. It makes VATS more of an option where I know I’ve got a fairly easy kill at short range, like shooting inside buildings, instead of something I use to autopilot my way through the combat like I did in F3.

P.S. that’s based on reaching only level 6 in my current game, so it may change later with perk and skill upgrades that boost accuracy in or out of VATS.

28. Qjuad says:

@Severian

Yep, and the stupid kill cam still plays almost every bloody time. You can turn off the real time one but not the VATS one which is wierd.

The real time shooting mechanics are improved over FO3 a hell of a lot though, but it still lacks solid shooting mechanics.

• Zenicetus says:

I agree that the shooting mechanics are simplified. There is no ballistics, no bullet drop. You can make ridiculously long-range shots just by lining up the sights or using a scope. But hey, Mass Effect worked like that too, with its projectile weapons, so I wouldn’t call it game-breaking. Also no cover system, but crouching and using obstacles is a fair substitute.

29. CFKane says:

I was genuinely surprised when I read this review, but then again, I’ve been genuinely surprised by a lot of the coverage of New Vegas (see especially Tom Chick’s commentary on Fidgit). I have had an entirely positive experience. I have literally not experienced a single bug or graphical problem. I found the storyline to be more compelling, the quests to be better, and the wild wastelands trait (an essential choice) to make the game great fun. I would say that this is most of all reminiscent of Fallout 2, which had a little more pop-culture winking than the original.

That being said, it may just be that I have had very few problems with any of the Obsidian Games. I thought NWN2 was fine, and Mask of the Betrayer fantastic. I even really enjoyd Alpha Protocol, though I wound up playing it with a controller on my PC for the hacking mini-game. I think that hacking problem is the biggest I’ve had with an Obsidian game though.

Despite what I just said, the less that is said about Knights of the Old Republic 2 the better. What a disaster the ending of that game turned out to be. And I found it so compelling up to that point…

So – the gist of the post: I am currently enjoying New Vegas, and I am having nearly the opposite opinion of Quinns. I respect his opinion, but I don’t agree.

30. Muddy Water says:

Wow, Quinns, you are literally the first person I’ve come across to claim that the content in New Vegas is weaker than Fallout 3′s. This includes all reviews and all the forum opinions I’ve read. Welp, you’re entitled to yours. I’m going to be optimistic about this and buy New Vegas (only off a sale, though).

Also, please, people, don’t be so harsh on Quinns just because he has a strong opinion that goes against the grain.

• Danarchist says:

Quinn works online, I guarantee his skin is thicker than a radscorpions shell. Anything anyone says online is going to elicit a loudly voiced negative response, and when its about a video game or piece of computer hardware the negativity is multiplied by ten. Gamers by nature are quick tempered ;)

Being the voice of disparity I think is the hardest duty of a reviewer, as long as they are stating their honest opinion I feel no ill will towards them, even when I dont agree.

31. Lukasz says:

hehe. Badmouthing Obsidian AND Fallout in one article.

You are brave one, sire!

32. Volrath says:

Not really. I hated Fallout 3, absolutely hated it. The world design, writing, quests, npc’s, storyline; I thought it was all complete bullshit. And the exploring sucked too, copy paste dungeon after copy paste dungeon.

So yeah, I was fairly cautious when it came to New Vegas. Another pseudo FPS/RPG? Really? Oh but Obsidian’s making it. Sawyer lead designer? Thinks back fondly of Van Buren. Those guys can do some awesome shit (see mask of the betrayer)

Anyway, the writing is vastly improved. Quests make more sense and are lot more intelligent then the ones Bethesda came up with. And the world building is much better, camps, vaults etc… There’s just more thought behind them, they’re believable.

Downside is still that shitty engine though.

• Duffin says:

I also hated Fallout 3, for specifically many of the reasons Quinn’s cites F3 is better than New Vegas. So by a process of reversal I should like this!?

33. TwinkieGorilla says:

“and nothing as eerie or inventive as Little Lamplight”

You’re *@&$ing trolling us all, right? It only took 9 words of your entire review for you to lose any credibility with me which you may have once had (but I doubt it).

• Wulf says:

I’m actually 100 per cent sure he’s trolling us, seriously.

And when you look at it that way, it’s actually pretty funny. Gods damn it, Quinns, you bastard. I fell for it, I R stupid. But yes, he’s trolling us, and doing a bloody good job of it.

• jack says:

Really? You think so? I don’t buy it, Wulf. Saying Obsidian “Phoned it in” isn’t really the kind of thing he’d say if he was making a joke.

34. irongamer says:

After reading a bunch of post here, browsing the official forums, and watching that hilarious rotating head + floating body bug I decided to purchase the game.

I was up until 5 am, damn it. I haven’t done that in quite a while. I’m really enjoying the game.

VATS does seem to require you being in someones face to hit them. I can’t remember how far you could be in FO3 at low levels. I am only level 4. I expect VATS to work better at longer distances with better weapons and higher skills. However, if I just shoot enemies without VATS (either iron sights or just from the hip) I can hit guys a long ways off. I think that whole deal needs to be tweaked.

35. Crumpled Stiltskin says:

Quinn, that is actually what Las Vegas looks like out side of the city limits. Very large expanses of nothingness upon nothingness.

Go there. Its like a real life apocalyptic wasteland without the radiation. And with Wayne Newton.

36. Crainey says:

Good review, exactly what I expected to be honest. I looked at them reviews on sites such as IGN and they just comfirmed my suspicions that they just rate any game thats got hype with a high score (take reach for example 10/10 in UK? Really? Better still the breakdown didnt even recieve a 10 in each department).

I dont mind bad games from devlopers that actualy put some hard work in thus im a indie game fan but what I HATE is a devloper with loads of resources that makes a game and just dosnt try at all making a game with riduclous bugs and well, basicaly what you see above. This same review could be applied to my feelings of Fallout 3 aswell to be honest… Another example of devlopers with lots of cash but just dont put their heart into it is Warhammer online, that game was awesome until you realised the devlopers literally copy and pasted each of the classes and they were all the same. This is an instant ragequit for me.

• Wulf says:

Quinns managed to pull the wool over my eyes, you Sir will have to try harder.

• Turin Turambar says:

Have you played the game? No? Then, how do you know if the review is good or not?

• Vinraith says:

@Turin

It’s simple, really: good reviews don’t get personal. Good game or bad game, there’s never any reason to start a review with personal attacks on its developers, and any review that contains such things is fundamentally suspect.

• Chris D says:

Vinraith (and others elsewhere)

I think you’re misreading the first paragraph as a personal attack. I think its more of an opening statement that the game seems to suffer from attention to detail. The rest of the review then goes on to give specific examples of this.

It’s a little hyperbolic perhaps but I don’t think its supposed to be taken as a literal attack on actual Obsidian staff. As for the rest of the review it all seems pretty reasonable to me. I can’t say how accurate it is as I haven’t played but I don’t think theres anything to take offence at in the writing.

• Salamander says:

Surely you can see how moronic it is to say that a dev team doesn’t give a fuck about their product simply because you didn’t enjoy aspects of their game.

“Lazy dev” is the mantra of the forum-dwelling simpleton. These people generally work hard.

• Chris D says:

Salamander

Unless Quinns has a spy in Obsidian headquarters he can’t possibly know the state of mind of their employees. This is why I take it as a figure of speech commenting on the feel of the game rather than a literal attack against the developers. Admittedly I do assume that Quinns isn’t a moron but I think that’s pretty well justified based on his previous work.

37. Sunjammer says:

Sigh. I think it’s important not to get all fussy about the opinion expressed through this review heh. I for one think Super Meat Boy is a painful injection of pestilent mud covered in a sheet of brilliant style. I don’t think beyond that being my opinion however. I think the first paragraph and general tone is uncalled for.. If your goal is to explain to potential buyers the pros and cons of a game from the perspective of someone who plays a lot of games, it would help not to layer on so MUCH personality on your writing.

This was just unpleasant. Even a review tearing a game apart can “feel good”, and this doesn’t feel good at all.

So hey Quinns, guess you phoned this one in too right? This is you not giving a fuck?

• Lars Westergren says:

@sunjammer

Agreed. That is what I meant with my :Decline of RPS: comment above. It wasn’t so much that they disagreed with a game I like (they’ve done that before and I’ve not minded), it was that it has a nasty personal edge to it. Poor writing.

• seras says:

the whole point of “Wot I Think” is that they are opinion pieces with personal flavour/edge…as opposed to the “objective” reviews you would find elsewhere. this editorial slant is what makes RPS special.

much like the commenters claiming “he didn’t like, he must’ve played it wrong!”, i would say “ppl that think his post was too acidic/harsh/whatever were reading it for the wrong reasons and with the wrong mindset”

• Sunjammer says:

Oh i guess i got RPS wrong then from the start, and have been getting them wrong all the time I’ve been reading every single damn post they’ve put up. I guess I don’t get RPS at all.

38. arjuna says:

Great write up thanks! Lets move on people.

39. BobsLawnService says:

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Collector’s Edition gubbins?

40. Demoe says:

The phoning it in comment is a bit harsh since that was probably publisher related, but of course Obsidian does have a tendency to overstretch their resources. They’re practically known for bugs and unfinished, lopsided content.

Also claiming the dialogue is inferior to F3 seems a bit of a stretch, but great dialogue won’t make boring characters interesting, which seems to be Quinns real complaint. I’d like to know if he played with Wild Wasteland or not.

But really, am I the only person who noticed that Quinns recommended this game as a buy with the caveat that you should like Fallout going into it? That’s solid consumer advice right there. He said he enjoyed it, but wasn’t taken by it enough to continue playing, which is disappointing. Not sure what you want from the guy…

• Evernight says:

I think the phoning it in comment was dead on and NOT a publisher thing. I mean look at Obsidians’ track record: SW:KOTOR2, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Dungeon Siege 2 – now this. Sense a theme? Other than Alpha Protocol, these guys have made nothing but a slew of sequels that are regarded as inferior to their originals and most of them use the same engine as the original. Obsidian has been phoning in sequels for years. I know they are the FO devs, but lets not forget that not all Black Isle came over.

If anything, we should have seen this coming.

• Salamander says:

Ugh. This has to be one of the worst comments I’ve ever seen. KOTOR 2 and especially NWN2 were both SUPERIOR to the previous Bioware titles – both better-written and featuring deeper gameplay – and Obsidian had nothing to do with Dungeon Siege 2.

Mask of the Betrayer alone is better than anything Bioware has done since Baldur’s Gate 2.

• Nick says:

Yes, look at their track record.. oh wait, they had nothing to do with DS2 and you have no idea what you are talking about, probably just spouting stuff you vaguely recall reading somewhere.

• laikapants says:

I think Evernight meant Dungeon Siege III, which Obsidian is currently developing. Of course the quality of that currently can only be determined by various trailers. So, yeah.

Also, I too vastly preferred KoTOR II (and to a lesser degree, NWN II) to their respective predecessors.

• FunkyBadger says:

Someone liked NWN2. Oh, ahahahaha etc.

Be still my aching sides.

Why is it always these guys that run into trouble with publishers and release shoddy messy lumps of games?

• Fiatil says:

I prefer NWN2 to NWN 1 for at least the OC. I know that’s kind of not “getting it”, because the first one was a fantastic multiplayer sandbox and all that, but I guess coming off of Baldur’s Gate 2 I was expecting a bit more out of their single player campaigns. The OC for NWN2 does drag ass at points and isn’t fantastic, but I managed to finish it and have a good ride. Then they had to go and make Mask of the Betrayer the best shit ever and all was well. That expansion makes anyone who writes off NWN2 as a whole kind of dumb.

• FunkyBadger says:

Fiatil: after 3 years spent trying to get a) the NWN2 engine to work and b) tring not to vomit at the stupidity of the main campaign on the odd occasion I could stomach the crappy engine I gave up on that particular software atrocity.

Its not that NWN was any great shakes either, Hordes of the Underdark was really good fun but the original campaign was several leagues backwards from the previous gen of DND RPGs.

Looks like I might be missing out with MotB, but if I buy it, it’ll only encourage them…

41. Dave says:

RPS, take note, your readers don’t want “Wot I Think”, they want, “Wot I Think You Want Me to Say”.

• mwoody says:

That’s unfair. He didn’t like the game; that’s clear. But read the comments – there are many people basing a purchasing decision on his writings. It would be cruel of us not to point out how he is squarely in the critical minority.

Or, to respond in similarly snarky language: RPS readers, take note. These aren’t “comments,” they’re “agreements.”

• Latro says:

No, thats perfeclty fair.

Quintin may be absolutely wrong, or in the minority, or whatever. He wrote What He Thinks.

Sometimes, people you know, and people that share a lot with you, have an evaluation of thinks you like or dislike that is the opposite of you. Happens all the time. You ask them for their opinion on that book you love, they say it is trash to them. That writer you loathe? A genius.

He has clearly found something he doesnt like at all in the game, and he reported it. You cant ask for anything else.

Even if he is wrong (dear God I hope so). Even if you average the reviews and his is the lowest one and everybody sings the praises to the New Vegas emperor.

• Wulf says:

Right, so… Quinns is allowed to write what he thinks (which I’m convinced isn’t what he actually thinks, but he’s just trolling us with), and we aren’t allowed to write what we think about that? The thing is: it’s perfectly fair to critique a game. But it’s also fair by those same merits to critique a review. No one has an untouchable opinion, and to claim that anyone should displays an elitism and arrogance that’s unbecoming of what this community should be.

The RPS guys fully expect this, otherwise they wouldn’t let us comment. Hell, that’s probably why Quinns was so unnecessarily acerbic in the first place, he’s probably laughing it up right now. And how. And so he should, really. The lovable trolling git.

• Wulf says:

The only thing I wish is that Quinns had picked a bigger title to troll, New Vegas is chick peas compared to some of the juicy meatballs out there. Now if Dragon Age 2/Bioshock Infinity gets this treatment, I’ll be impressed. Then again, RPS might not have the nads for that, choosing only to do this when it’s safe to do so. >_> We’ll see. Still, the gauntlet is down and all that, yes?

• Danarchist says:

I would actually love to start a “Review the Reviewer” site myself. Earlier this year I was shopping for a gaming laptop (e.g. desktop replacement) and was absolutely blown away by how many freaking scores were low due to “weight” “Size” and “Battery Life”. Seriously, which chicken armed gamer do you know that would sacrifice faster pew pew for a 2lb lighter laptop? And I think the best battery I have every seen could run a game for just over an hour and a half or what I call “Warm up time”.
      And dont even get me into “ad enhanced” reviews…IG_

• Dave says:

@Wulf

I shouldn’t have painted all the comments with the same brush. I was fixating on that 5% of the comments that didn’t respect Quintin’s opinion. Disagree with an opinion: fantastic, that’s what opinions are for, but accusing Quintin of some sort of bizarre bias is disrespectful.

p.s. But if he IS trolling, he did a fantastic job. He goes against the grain on practically every issue while sprinkling it with just enough justification to make it seem plausible. However, being new to the community, I do feel obligated to take his opinion at face value, not knowing the secret ways of RPS.

• Jeremy says:

I’m not sure why a respected journalist would ever “troll” a review. We don’t have to try and justify why he wrote what he did, I like the fact that he wrote about something passionately, even if I don’t necessarily agree with it. Strong opinions are rare these days, probably for the very reason that comment sections blow up with outrage when you express, not just an opinion, but you express it with a certain candor.

But trolling? That’s kinda insulting I think.

• mwoody says:

I don’t think the review is a “troll,” and honestly, if it were my work, I’d be mildly offended by the implication. It’s a fancy internet way of saying, “you must be joking, because no one could be that stupid.”

That said, if you think professional game writers being trolls is far-fetched, read some of Jim Sterling’s work on Destructoid. On second though, don’t. Forget I ever said it. No! I was joking! RUN AWAY!

42. Evernight says:

As much as it pains me to say this but I have to agree with a good chunk of this review and I LOVED FO3. There was just so much more to FO3 so much more to see and explore; and when exploring I found more saw interesting things. This game doesn’t even encourage my exploration.

and why, dear god WHY, did you give me a robust cooking/crafting/ammo making mechanic and then fail to populate the world with ANY of the things it takes to create this stuff. I mean seriously! I mean FO3 had too much junk with nothing to do with them. NV has no junk and everything to do with it.

Quinns said the one thing that summed this game up more than any other site – “Obsidian phoned it in” – Not terrible, certainly not remarkable, but disappointing all around Maybe it was the hype that killed it.

• Salamander says:

“and why, dear god WHY, did you give me a robust cooking/crafting/ammo making mechanic and then fail to populate the world with ANY of the things it takes to create this stuff. “

What in the world are you going on about? The world is no less populated by any of the miscellaneous items than Fallout 3 was. In fact, they’re even more available now since you can buy crafting items and such from many shopkeepers than you were never able to in F3.

• Evernight says:

This game is BIG TIME less populated than FO3. Not in terms of NPC’s but in terms of junk and containers. Play FO3 and count the number of containers you see in 3 hours vs how many have something in them. Then do the same for NV. Not only will the number be smaller but the filled ratio will be as well. I explored the Niffton Main Hall last night from top to bottom (other than 1 door I couldn’t get past) and there was less than a handful of containers with something in them. I spent and HOUR looking for a sensor module. AN HOUR. And since there is no Metro or anything like that there isn’t even a good place to go scaving.

I’ll agree with you about the ammo to a point except that the ammo conversion is pretty inefficient and you can’t even make special ammo types like 5.56 AP or 9 P+… I am sure the modders will bring that along.

• laikapants says:

@Evernight: While I do believe that you haven’t found the stuff you were looking for, I do remain a bit baffled at the suggestion that there aren’t enough crafting materials around. I have too many and I’m only up to Nipton. Also, there are 2 or 3 Sensor Modules in Goodsprings and that’s without buying them…

• mwoody says:

Heh, and meanwhile, last night I finished a quest area that was filled, floor to ceiling, with parts of all kind. Including, yes, sensor modules. I stopped picking them up because while yes, I need them for explosives, even 10 strength didn’t give me the capacity for carrying them all.

This amuses me mostly because I found myself thinking, “gosh, Fallout 3 never went this crazy. I’m literally kicking parts of the way.”

Now, white horsenettle, THERE you’d have a point. I can’t find enough of that stuff to tan hides and make poison to save my virtual life.

• Evernight says:

I too have found teh factory FILLED with conductors, paint guns, cans, etc. But again I stress that there is still a lack of the things needed to make crafting a viable anything. I mean they even took the bottlecap mine up to 5 cherry bombs… I think I have 4 so far – 6 hours in. I think I will mod it back to the way it was or change the recipe to dynamite.

Anyone know a good place to find a decent amount of cherry bombs?

43. Fathom says:

This is the most disagreeable thing I’ve ever seen on RPS. Maybe the worst, too.

44. Gvaz says:

I hated fallout 3, it encompassed everything I hated about Oblivion, except now it was set 50 years ago in a wasteland and had guns instead of magic.

Console oriented textures, design, and gameplay.

Wow now I want to play NV! /sarcasm

45. Fwiffo says:

Oh, I get it, you’re parodying the kind of console people that thought the series began on Fallout 3. You almost had me until the Lamplight line!

• Wulf says:

He had me going for much longer than that. I’m dense… :/ I figured it out in the end, though.

46. CFKane says:

@Lilliput King

Really? KG lost you based on his “hey baby” posts? I thought that was some of the better journalism on games on the web. I appreciate when games journalists take a minute to recognize/point out when the misogyny in this slice of the web gets a little too blatant.

• Wulf says:

I completely concur. KG might think his best moment was his No Russian moment, but that was really just saying what anyone with an ounce of sense thought, and it was fairly obvious. But because misogyny is rife in the gaming subculture (see: Other M), along with bizarre forms of white supremacy, homophobia, racism, and other problems you’d think were long gone, an article like KG’s take on hey baby would be hugely unpopular with the vast majority of gamers. It was risky, it was dangerous, it was brilliant. It was his high point, I thought. So I completely agree.

• Frosty says:

@CFKane and Wulf

Very glad to see this. Felt like I was the only one. Was a real dark day for the RPS community though, felt like a real let down by the people around me.

• Lars Westergren says:

I’ll add to the group hug. Hey Baby was the best article I’ve read on the site so far.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Everyone loves an outspoken critic until they actually say something they disagree with. It’s the gig.

By the way Wulf – your suggestions that he doesn’t really believe this are pretty poisonous.

KG

• Face says:

“Was a real dark day for the RPS community though, felt like a real let down by the people around me.”

Ditto. Kieron brought me back. Much respect for that man, and that article.

• Lilliput King says:

I don’t “really disagree” that cat-calling is offensive and despicable.

I just didn’t see what it had to do with RPS. I do see what male privilege has to do with videogames. But we could have at least talked about that in the context of an actual game. Deciding to explain male privilege in general terms on a gaming blog to a community the majority of which almost certainly understood the issue was bizarre at best, and smacked of pretension and hubris.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

I thought he WAS talking about it in reference to a video game? Did I add the whole “I’M GONNA TALK ABOUT HEY BABY NOW” in my head? Am I delusional.

• Lilliput King says:

I’m not sure Hey Baby the “game” was ever justifiable cause. I mean, it just… it just doesn’t count. I mean my God, Kieron. It has no resemblance to anything I call a game, and on these grounds alone, I do not call it a game.

Link for those who have not yet had the pleasure:

• FunkyBadger says:

Keiron’s No Russian piece seethed with anger. Anger at a dev wasn’t a chance and not delivering to the best of their ability. As does this piece.

That’s why both of them are worthwhile.

• Jimbo says:

The No Russian article still makes No Sense to me. If it seethed with anything it was misunderstanding. Half of the criticisms become totally void once you understand the story, and the other half were ultra-nitpicky (‘the guards have the wrong guns wtf!?’).

How everybody acts (or doesn’t act) during that level ends up being totally justified, at least within the context of the game.

• Chris says:

nth-ing the Hey Baby love-in. The fact the they game itself was nigh-unplayable is irrelevant: so are most art-games.

47. HarrietTubgirl says:

I could see how a fan of Fallout 3 might like this game but it’s just too boring for me, I really can’t get into video game stories. In STALKER I’m on the edge of my seat because of the scary atmosphere it creates so well. Obviously, STALKER: Call of Pripyat is the superior post apocalyptic game.

48. Mitthrawn says:

I really liked fallout: New Vegas. It was so much better than fallout 3 which felt lifeless and dull to me. Unlike Quinns, everywhere i went there was interesting architecture, new quests, and interesting stuff to do. The rollercoaster, the dinosoaur, the solar array, everywhere there is cool stuff to do. If that doesn’t convince you MINOR SPOILERS the game involves a paranoid schizophrenic nightkin and his talking skull, space cultist ghouls trying to launch into the Far Beyond, and invisible chupacabras with automatic weapons. END MINOR SPOILERS.
    Go. Play it. Quinns is an idiot. That is all.

• Wulf says:

You had the Wild Wasteland trait, didn’t you? It really does make that much of a difference. That trait is awesome.

• Mitthrawn says:

I totally did. The wild wasteland perk really makes everything so much funnier and better. If you didn’t turn it on you’re missing the best parts of the game.

49. Evernight says:

God I miss Morrowwind.

50. Demoe says:

What’s with the Lamplight hate? Sure the kids were obnoxious, but the area as a whole was captivating and refreshing in its difference. The architecture and lighting did a great job to create a secluded, detached atmosphere and the way the kids coped with a situation that was both present but removed from them really brought everything together.

• Wulf says:

You get it in that the kids are obnoxious, it was actually like a colony of midgets, of fully grown people trapped in the bodies of children. In general, they were far too jaded and worldly to be the actual age they were, or to even fit the seclusion that they were supposed to suffer (which would have stunted their knowledge and intellectual progression). Once you realise that, it’s really not that clever.

• Sunjammer says:

Lamplight was “wrong” in that it tried to shoehorn kids back into Fallout in a PG friendly manner. They were barely children, and in the harsh reality of the wasteland the game was otherwise selling you, they would have been fucking massacred and eaten within days. Lamplight was Fallout 3 breaking character, which is actually kind of impressive in that the game’s character is fundamentally fragmented.

• Demoe says:

I don’t really follow that they should have been more childlike. Kids can grow up really quickly when they have to, usually resulting in the jaded perspective you mention. Why shouldn’t they be jaded and a bit experienced when they’ve been relying solely on each other this whole time? I didn’t really feel they were overly worldly or intelligent either since they ate cave dirt and were scared to leave their small town.

I’m not really sure what a more fitting personality for the denizens of lamplight would be other than jaded and slightly competent.

• Danarchist says:

Man spend some time in south africa, one of the places I was in the kids had the same “100 mile stare” as any ptsd veteran. And thank whatever you pray too that you think its impossible for kids to be jaded and “like small angry adults”. It’s horrible and one of the main reasons I am thankful for the escapism gaming provides me.

• Dave says:

My biggest problem with Lamplight is that the children are immortal. Kids die in books, kids die in movies, kids die in real life, but the developers felt the need to save our digital souls by filling our digital guns with digital blanks when entering Lamplight.

The whole “immoral” pathway in the game is a farce. You can be a good, grey, or a stark raving lunatic, hurling insults, faeces, and bullets at everyone you meet.