BFBC2: Vietnam Enters Phu Bai Valley

By John Walker on October 22nd, 2010 at 10:15 am.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam. Naaaaaaam. Naaaaaaaaaam nam naaaaaaaam nam naaaaaaam. Naaaaaaaaaam. Nam. Naaam nam, nam, Nam, naaaaaaaam naaam naaaam nam nam. NAM! Naam nam, naaaaaaaam nam naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam. Nam! Nam! Naaaaaaaam.

That’s an early draft of my movie about some American veterans talking in a bar. They’re somewhat reminiscing, and somewhat excited because they’re looking forward to the DLC pack for Battlefield Bad Company 2, Vietnam. There’s a new trailer below. It’ll be playing on a screen in the bar.

There was an earlier trailer, way back in June, and earlier this month Jim posted some footage of the game being played over a young man’s shoulder. Just so you have everything you could want.

There’s scraps of more info about the game over on its own blog. Sadly there’s no helpful release date yet, the game slated for “Winter 2010″. I feels cold enough today for that to be now. But presumably sometime closer to Christmas.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. AndrewC says:

I miss the days when war movies were exciting adventures, instead of sober ruminations on loss and injustice.

It is so selfish of hundreds of thousands of dead people to spoil my drinking movies.

• Rich says:

The best ones were both. The Longest day, A Bridge Too Far, all the commando ones etc.

Personally I just miss the days when war movies had more than just Americans in them. Also, when you could pretty much guarantee a classic war movie would be on every Sunday afternoon.

• Skurmedel says:

There’s plenty of non-american war movies, they don’t screen in regular cinemas though but they are often available as DVD or Bluray. Most of them are quite good too. For example Lebanon was released earlier this year, and there was another I can’t remember the name of.

2. warth0g says:

Weird, just commented about having fond memories of BF Vietnam on the other DICE post…

This does look like it’s going to rekindle that old flame.. choppers? check. Jimi Hendrix? check. napalm? probably.. This is an auto-buy for me, I’ve never understood all the hate on PC for BC2. No matter how much I’m looking forward to BF3, BC2 is still a great game..

• Ted says:

BC2 is great, but it just isn’t a successor to BF2, and 32 players is alright, but 64 is so much more fun.
      that, and a lack of mod tools make for reasons, IMO

3. Barman1942 says:

This just may convince me to buy BC2.

• warth0g says:

Honestly, don’t wait for this, buy it already… it’s probably the game I come back to most often. It’s not deep, it’s not clever, but it is massively fun and, often, quite awe-inspiring…

• mondomau says:

Indeed. I’m not big on online shooters (the vs type anyway, I play L4D/2 and borderlands a lot), but I really enjoyed BFBC2 multiplayer. Lot of cheaters on the servers, and I do mean a lot. Some days I can’t concentrate for the constant stream of ” banned (Aimbot) “. Never seems to discourage them though.

Will pick up this expansion, since it’s cheaper than I originally thought and it might be fun to run through with ‘Paint it black’ playing at full volume…

• TheLordHimself says:

Something else worth noting is BC2 has been really well ported. Alt tabbing is instant in both directions, the menu system is a bit clunky but a lot better than BF2 and the loading times on my computer are faster than Civ 5 by quite a way.

• warth0g says:

Agree, it is a good port. On my 4 year old PC, it loads quickly and runs maxed out incredibly well. And shockingly for a BF game, the server browser now works brilliantly. What it does, it does really well.

4. HexagonalBolts says:

I wish there were more tight jungles and darkness, like in the movies :(

• DJ Phantoon says:

Apocalypse Now?

• Rich says:

More like Platoon.

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah i agree. It looks like the game revolves around towns or villages. Half the time it looks like you could be fighting in a Hawaiian village.

5. Alex Bakke says:

I’m torn. On the one hand, it’s a reskin with new vehicles and the ability to blast Credence and Hendrix out of helicopter speakers. That’s it.

On the other hand, it’s a reskin with new vehicles and the ability to blast Credence and Hendrix out of helicopter speakers.

• TonyB says:

You’ve summed the situation up perfectly. For me, the latter outweighs the former and I’ll be getting this as soon as it’s available.

6. spyglass says:

Where is my 1943 Pc game!

7. c3 says:

Me too. I’m hoping they’ve not released it because BF3 is going to be WW2 and it’s PC only.

8. spyglass says:

well ya, im hoping too. i was gettign excited over the fact the game was going to be released on PC, i already own it on Xbox but i would love to play with a mouse and keyboard! hearing about this “mod” called vietnam it seems like they are just trying to get as much money from us.

• TotalBiscuit says:

It’s called an expansion pack. You would not have complained about this 5 years ago, so what raised your standards of toffery to absurdly high levels in the meantime?

9. Mike says:

I don’t remember if you guys posted this here, but the addon will be 15 dollars, probably 15 euro here in the EU. Much more content than in a Modern Warfare 2 DLC, anyway.

10. Edgar the Peaceful says:

Autobuy. BC2 is brilliant as far as I’m concerned. In fact I want a spangly new GPU to play it with all bells and whlistles jangling.

11. Navagon says:

What with this and Men of War, now’s a good time to buy shares in the Vietnam war.

12. UW says:

How many Vietnam vets does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

You don’t know, man. You don’t know, because you weren’t there.

13. Brumisator says:

BF:BC2 can go die in a ditch.

• warth0g says:

Erm , why?

• Brumisator says:

Like I said in the other comment thread, a game where you can’t run, aim or shoot properly doesn’t deserve to be played.

I know lots of people play this game and enjoy it, but I have a deep loathing of everything it is and represents.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Sounds like a personal problem, since the game does not prevent any of these.

14. TotalBiscuit says:

BC2 is the best online shooter since TF2. It’s early problems got sorted out nice and quick, it looks gorgeous, plays really well, has some of the best sound assets I’ve ever heard and is offering what is effectively an expansion pack for the same price Activision offers crappy map-packs for MW2. It’s an automatic purchase and also proves that PC gamers are their own worse enemy and will cry about literally anything.

• Mattressi says:

It’s an automatic purchase because it doesn’t suck balls as bad as MW2 did? I played it at a friends house and was less than impressed. It feels very bland and generic. It’s just another depth-less, designed-for-casual-console-players shooter, which, frankly, I’m completely sick of. It’s basically BF:V (which really wasn’t that great) minus a few features, with smaller maps and fewer players on a server, but with ‘pretty’ (read: generic) graphics. I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion that PC gamers are their own ‘worse’ enemy; if people go and buy this simply because it is a little less terrible than MW2, then that tells devs that all they need to do is make a game that isn’t as crap as the competitions. Then the face of PC gaming will be very similar to the current political system; a competition between the two parties to point out why the other one is more crap than them (at least in the US and Australia; I couldn’t care less about you Brits :P).

15. Evil Otto says:

I really wanted to like BC2, but it turned out to be even more frustrating than MW2. Somehow I always lagged, so I was unable to win any firefight. The strange thing was, my internet connection was perfect.

16. vonfidde says:

I did play alot of BF:Vietnam for me its the best BF out there, and im really glad they do att the Vietnam theme to BC2. Too be honest i would rather have a full/big new BF:Vietnam but i guess this will have to do. It sucks kinda that none can do a propper Vietnamshooter, im kinda sick of the WW2-theme and the modern-theme :O.

17. squirrel says:

The trailer is great…… until it reaches the last part. Price tag 15 dollars!!

18. MrTambourineMan says:

This is exactly 1€ less than the price of the so called “Stimulus Package” for MW2 which is 5 MP maps some of which are actually rehashes of old MW1 maps. So I see BC2:V as a good deal compared to it’s biggest competitor who is selling a few maps for pretty much the same price.

• Sassenach says:

COD:MW2 is perhaps not the most flattering comparison regarding value for money.

19. l1ddl3monkey says:

“The NVA is about to feel the full wrath of American might!”

Which they did right up until the point where the American might packed up and fucked off.

Isn’t this just BFBC2 reskinned?

20. The Innocent says:

Wow, lots of people charging in that trailer. To make it more realistic, it should have showed the entire attacking army up on a hill with sniper rifles slowly bleeding tickets. And two guys frantically trying to get into the defended zone by any possible direction, and being gunned down regardless.

• Deuteronomy says:

One stupid comment followed by another . . . nice.

• Deuteronomy says:

That was in reply to someone else’s comment, I don’t know how it got attached to yours. This commenting system has to be the worst one on the internet next to Engadget.

21. Hensler says:

If they could bring back the soundtrack from Battlefield: Vietnam, I’d buy it just for that.

22. JIm H says:

“Cross of Iron” It was made by Americans and stars Americans, but the characters are German and Russian soldiers.

23. HYPERPOWERi says:

Featured on GJaIF!

Fame.

24. Elmarby says:

The question is not whether or not I will get this. It is whether or not I will fire an M60 from a Huey while shouting “Get some!”. You know, I think I just might.

25. Thiefsie says:

But But,… will we be allowed to play as NVA???