Buy Dogfighter For £1.05, Uh, Next Week :(

By Jim Rossignol on October 22nd, 2010 at 8:04 pm.

Bah, I thought this was now. This starts on Monday. I will bump this post then, and we shall play next week!

ORIGINAL OVERZEALOUS EXCITEMENT:
Blimey, awesome flight-fight aero-battle game Dogfighter is just slightly more than £1! (Soon, anyway.) So you and me, tomorrow afternoon, in this game. Right? It’s on! The game also has a big update on the 25th, which means you get even more for your quid.

Seriously for £1 we might as well all get stuck in. It’s a bi-planar riot of a game – check out the trailer below – I’ll see you on there tomorrow. (Or next week, when this actually starts.)

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. terry says:

But the discount doesn’t apply until Monday. Just sayin’ :-(

2. Lewie Procter says:

Discount goes live on Monday, not today.

3. Curry says:

Goddamnit. I was really bored and rounded up people to buy and play this. It’s 10 euros! What!

4. Starky says:

I love that they are doing this it is a great little fun game, it just sadly lacks players to keep it going, so hopefully enough people will buy this and play it and some will stick.

The dedicated server tools will help that, time has proven over and over that multiplayer games tend to have a longer lifespan when you can build a community around a shared permanent server.

More little indi games should do this, make the game basically free then monetize in other ways, it’s the only way to get a large enough player base to self sustain.

Otherwise games just die without players – case in point Plain Sight, great little game, but deader than a room full of dead things (zombies?).

5. SapphireBullets says:

Man, even the devs couldn’t find a full server to film the trailer on.

• mooTV says:

Well… I can’t let that one go unanswered.

1. There wasn’t a server available because the servers did not include the new content.

2. We had 3 hours to make that video. It was only myself and Noxy that were available as the rest of the guys here were testing.

But, in all fairness, you’re absolutely right. If the above points had been addressed before we made the video (it isn’t my best work either :( ) then it would have been more populated.

That’s why we’re doing this promo. To get those servers populate. To get people playing DogFighter the way it is meant to be played. I’m not chiding you for stating what is, in all honesty, exactly the problem with DogFighter but I hope this patch and the promo price will get those servers populated and get folk blowing seven shades of shinola out of each other this evening.

Just a reminder that the dedicated server app will be available this evening, allowing the DogFighter community to set up their own servers and play the game their own way.

Sorry it has taken so long but we’re a small bunch of guys.

Anyway. See you all in the air. This is going to be awesome.

6. Miker says:

Does anybody know if the game will plug into Steam?

7. Crainey says:

This game was designed in a shack a couple of miles down the road from me (I live in Belfast).

• Howdy says:

If by ‘a couple of miles down the road’ you mean 80+, then yeah!! :D

8. Alexander Norris says:

Shame they decided to convert the dollar price straight into euros without actually doing any conversion; it means I won’t buy it, despite wanting to support them. A principle’s a principle. :(

• Torgen says:

then just send them a paypal donation or something to support them.

• Alexander Norris says:

Actually, I’ll probably get someone to gift me it from the UK then wire them the money. Dilemma solved!

• Angry Internet Man says:

$1.50 == 1.08 Euro. Really? Really.

• dethgar says:

Uh, why exactly is it a bad thing? A euro is more than a dollar usually, so are you angry that you’ll be paying more in dollars than euro’s or what? I’m lost.

• Angry Internet Man says:

The point is, I was so angry that I had to pay more than the yanks. Yeah sure the devs get a little bit more money but it’s so unfair to pay even a teeny bit more.

But afterwards my cat came up the sofa and coughed up 3 quarters which I think might be worth MORE than 42 eurocents these days!!! So I’m okay with it now. CRISIS AVERTED.

• MrEvilGuy says:

fuck, I’m in Canada and for years I’ve been paying way more than the yanks for video games

9. Brumisator says:

I was underwhelmed by the demo, a long time ago, but for 3/2 of a euro, I may just go for it.

Oh, yes, I’m morally outraged by the $ = € conversion, but really… it’s just a few cents here.

10. Fumarole says:

Any support for non-360 controllers yet?

11. mlaskus says:

Hah, related videos points to a TED by Richard Dawkins :)

12. Noxy says:

Hi folks

Noxy from Dark Water here

just wanted to apologise on the Euro and Dollar being the same

It was an oversight on our part.

The Euro price should actually be €1.07

I will try to get it fixed but the sale has already been agreed with Valve. Can’t make promises.

• Alexander Norris says:

I just wanted to point out that you’re awesome. If the price changes I’ll probably be buying multiple copies despite my limited means. Sorry I can’t afford to buy a fully-priced copy of the game, though. :(

• Starky says:

You can’t afford a full price copy? What?

The slight overcharge in Euro’s equals a whopping 30 cents, are you seriously going to get a British person to buy you the game over 25 pence?

That’s probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve read in a while – A £20 game charging €30 I could understand – but 25 pence man – if you can’t afford 25 pence something is seriously wrong.

If it is on principle, your principles are moronic.

• Angry Internet Man says:

Last time I was in Europe I couldn’t buy a coke for less than 2 Euros. I was thirsty, but could only scrounge 1.60 in euro money.

PLEASE DARKWATER DROP THE PRICE! I AM SO THIRSTY!!!

Also, the principle.

• MD says:

Guys, I’m pretty sure Alexander Norris was referring to the fact that the game is currently at full price. The sale begins on Monday.

• Alexander Norris says:

No wonder the Tories are in power.

MD is correct.

13. Rezolver says:

Can someone comment whether this game has dedicated LAN support? If none, can you create your own private steam server? Thanks.

• Starky says:

Not at the moment, but it will come the patch/DLC that this sale is shipping with.
      Dedicated servers at least – and you can easily host a game up to 8 players on even a modest DSL connection without any lag issues (512kbps up is enough).

14. Berm says:

Dogfighter, like Lead&Gold and a few others, suffered from the classic mistake of releasing a heavy MP game without any support for dedicated servers and proper joystick support and unfortunately the consequences are that there are no longer any players with any interest left despite the game having a late dedicated server release.

Just because mainstream games pull it and get away with it doesn’t mean indies can pull it too and get away with it. For some reason people expect a whole lot more for an indie game and that was the case here.

15. J says:

I…know nothing about this game, the screenshot makes it look like Snoopy vs the Red Baron which was quite awesome.

16. Navagon says:

Well that’s a come and buy me price if ever I saw one. Backlog Mountain grows ever steeper…

17. westyfield says:

No joystick support? Is it playable with a mouse and keyboard or will I have to buy a 360 (*spits*) controller?

• Starky says:

It has joystick support now – it din’t at first launch but it has since been added. As he says above, only one joystick is known not to work that saitec one.

• westyfield says:

Ah, silly me, I read that as ‘the only now working controller’ rather than ‘non working’. Which kinda changes it. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

• The Tupper says:

I’ve got a proper flight yoke and pedals which I use for sims, and have burned my fingers on four (count ‘em) gamepads in the past, but I still reckon my XBox 360 controller’s one of the best peripherals I’ve ever bought.

18. HexagonalBolts says:

Quite a bit of negativity in here! For £1 you can’t really go wrong, I’m sure lots of new players will be joining. I’ll certainly buy and be playing.

19. mooTV says:

Yes there is joystick support. It was a right shame we didn’t have it in for launch but it’s there now.

However, we are having a little bother with some Saitek sticks.

We’ll get it sorted though.

OOPS Sorry. I am Sean (mooTV) the designer of DogFighter)

20. negativedge says:

this game continues its trend of weird trailers with awful music

21. Sinomatic says:

I played this during the beta and really enjoyed it, but never picked it up after release (due to much poorness and needing to afford food and the like). Can’t go wrong for £1 though, will definitley be grabbing a copy.

Good, arcadey, shooty-shooty funtimes.

22. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Ah, that’s on my birthday.

I have to work on my birthday. Then eat a bit, then go sporting. Then come home and sleep. Bleh. But playing sports is cool.

23. Lewie Procter says:

In related discount news, I’m going to blow my load early, in case the offer is gone by the time for the bargain bucket in the morning:

Civilization V (that’s 5, not a typo) for £2.35

I’m not sure if you can order it from outside the UK (let me know), but it would be data smuggler friendly anyway, because you just get a code to plug into Steam.

Confirmed working, because I just did it myself.

• MD says:

Thanks for the tip, it is UK only though. They do an IP check.

• Lewie Procter says:

That’s a shame. They won’t let me buy more than one either.

• Pew says:

Wow, thanks for the heads up! Time to find a UK proxy.

Dogfighter looks like it could have potential, I hope it’s better than that similar looking Snoopy’s Flying Aces (or something) XBLA game though.

• MD says:

Wouldn’t buying through a proxy leave you wide open to having your credit card details stolen?

• MD says:

Stolen by whoever is providing the proxy, that is.

• Pew says:

Yes it would, living on the edge for deals and info! But it didn’t work and now I have an uncancellable order where “something went wrong, this order will never be processed”. The more you know :)

To the UK friends tomorrow when they wake up!

• MD says:

Ah, bad luck :(
      Thanks for the heads-up though.

24. Sinomatic says:

Tried the Civ 5 thing too, but just got given a link to a pdf telling me to install (and put the code into) Steam…without any code being given.

25. Chiablo says:

So is this deal exclusive to the UK?

We yanks get left out of the dogfighting party?

drewski says:

“Wow, this looks really interesting! Oh wait, it’s a multiplayer game. Never mind.”

27. Tom OBedlam says:

Yay for rps player injection! I adore this game but I only ever get to play against bots :(

28. mooTV says:

Anyone that logs into Steam @ about 8pm (BST) will be able to get 85% off DogFighter. Everyone gets a cool game for less than the price of a sandvich.

;)

29. adonf says:

It’s still 11€ on steam and I’m 79% sure that today is Monday

• Rii says:

It’s Tuesday here. =/

• [POo [POo says:

the post above you, from mooTV says 8pm BST which is 3 hours away.

• jon_hill987 says:

But it is not late enough in the day for Valve to have got out of bed. Everything on Steam changes from 18:00 to 20:00 in the UK.

• adonf says:

@[POo [POo

Yes but mooTV’s post dates back from Saturday so I assumed that blah blah blah who cares.

30. iuzbob says:

It’s on STEAM with the normal price. Any idea when they will update it? It’s 19.21 in Europe.

31. mod the world says:

Where is my cheapo game discount?

32. Koojav says:

Hurr Durr!
    19:42 here in Europe and still no uber-cheap-game-about-shooting-planes.

33. mujadaddy says:

Course power-ups? No. Just no.

34. bit_crusherrr says:

Its still full price! i want my £1 dogfighting awesome :C

35. giantRedButton says:

They changed the Eu price to make it fairer ;) its 1 Euro 35 (:

36. [POo [POo says:

it won’t let me gift a 4 pack for my mates as i already own this game. :(

37. mod the world says:

yay, it’s finally there! The 4 pack only costs 4.05€, that’s the way i like indie devs! :D

38. Warduke says:

Yes, the deal is up! In for two 4-packs. LAN party here we come!

39. magemaster88 says:

Mario Kart & Carmageddon meets TF2!!

10 / 10

love it!

40. EriCkxD says:

latest patch supports Saitek X52 and X52 Pro!!!
    nice to see continuous patches and updates comign thru!