Independent Hyper-Biff: IGF Entrants 2011

By Jim Rossignol on October 22nd, 2010 at 9:13 am.

Crikey, the Independent Game Festival has received four hundred entries, according to yesterday’s announcement. They’re all listed just here. This, the thirteenth year for the competition, has some real crackers in the line up, including Amnesia, Hecker’s Spy Party, as well as some of the games we got excited about at the recent EG Expo, such as Skulls Of The Shogun. And then there’s Minecraft. Yeah, it’s going to be a hell of a year for the big indie games awards session. It also conveniently puts four hundred indies games in one place for the hivemind to browse through. We’ll be reporting back with some treasures, I suspect.

__________________

« | »

1. Nallen says:

Amnesia and Minecraft don’t fit in the space in my head for Indie games!

2. Sagan says:

I went through them in reverse order a little bit. So far this stuff has stood out:

Zen Bound 2
    Vertex Dispenser
    Venus Patrol
    Under Another Moon
    Ultimate Newcomer
    Transmove
    The Real Texas
    The Dream Machine
    The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
    The Cat and the Coup
    The Balls

You have covered some of them before, and some aren’t for PC, but this is my list so far.

3. pakoito says:

Savvygamer is concocting a list of those who are playable today:

4. subedii says:

I’m rooting for Frozen Synapse to get an award or two, it’s an awesome game that depends a lot on predicting your opponent. Too few people develop games like these.

5. Urael says:

Oh, superb! I love going through these lists looking for the little gems. That’s my plans for the weekend organised! :)

(PS: Sorry Mum, looks like I’ll be busy on your birthday now…)

6. WJonathan says:

Is that a bolo tie or is he tethered to something secure for the protection of the audience?

7. origo says:

this is a bit overwhelming. I’ve just browsed through the first 30, and i see already several games that look interesting.
    Real time strategy, but with ability to control time? tlil video showing how it works seemed very intriguing.
    control amoebas to conquer primordial soup. now with amoeba upgrades.
    very stylish looking strategy game autumn dynasties.
    bastion looked nice too, plus few more. and that’s just first 30, mainly starting from lettter A.

well, someone has their jobs cut out for them – lotsa reviewing to do.

8. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Tip for anyone entering next year: Make sure your game starts with a number so it goes to the top of the list.

9. Lambchops says:

So many games! Can’t wait until RPS and others help to sort the wheat from the inevitable chaff.

Oh and if Amnesia doesn’t win the award for audio excellence then either the judges are mental or somebody has done something truly beyond spectacular. Voice acting aside it has the best audio in any game for ages, never mind an indie game.

I agree with Subedii that Frozen Synapse definitely deserves something; it’s a wonderfully presented and very enjoyable slice of tactical fun and second guessing.

10. icemann says:

Good to see my groups game “Bipolar in the list”. Hoping we do well in both the main and student comps.

Why is minecraft and cavestory in it though? Cave story was released something like 5 years ago and minecraft I dont really see as indie. But meh.

• SvDvorak says:

Im curious, why don’t you think Minecraft is an indiegame? It was previously developed by one person, now only by a small team. If he’s not indie because he’s made alot of money then I disagree, how well the product does has no impact on how ‘indie’ a developer is in my mind.

Comment on this story