The RPS Bargain Bucket: Conflicting Interests

By Lewie Procter on October 23rd, 2010 at 12:09 pm.

Uh oh, one of the discounted games this week had John on the payroll. I didn’t even want to feature it in the bargain bucket, but he threatened send a clown to blow me up if I didn’t*. Still, I’m standing up to his demands that this week’s selection just be his game listed 5 times, so here’s a variety of cut price computer gaming fun. For more cheap gaming goodness, use your nearest web browser to have a look at SavyGamer.co.uk. Here are the deals:

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars [The Directors Cut] – £4.99/€4.99/$4.99
More like Broken Calculator: Shadow of the Inaccurate Currency Conversion. I gather that Walker was in charge of deciding whether or not to rip off his fellow countrymen, and (with a wicked cackle) he said “THE POUND IS EQUAL TO THE DOLLAR IS EQUAL TO THE EURO”**, so direct all of your pricing anger towards him. This isn’t a temporary sale, it’s a permanent discount from it’s previous price of 10 currencies, so you have plenty of time to ponder the purchase. It’s certainly one of the classic pointy clickers, and you get to go to all sorts of interesting places and click on some lovely things.

Puzzle Bots
Steam – £3.49/€4.49/$4.99
Direct from the dev – £3.95/€3.78/$4.99
Woe is me, I thought that this would be a lovely game to play on my netbook because of the very low hardware requirements, but I didn’t realise that it needs 640 pixels of height to work, and my netbook has only 600, so beware on that front. Never mind, I’ll give it a whirl on my desktop later. This is another perma-discount, not just a fleeting offer. It’s both a robot game featuring puzzles and a puzzle game featuring robots, with lovely bright graphics, and you get to toy with the weak fleshy humans. Wadjet Eye games were also kind enough to send me a few Steam codes to pass onto you lovely folk. Shoot us an email at rpscompos@gmail.com explaining why you should get one in exactly 26 words. Usual competition rules apply. They’re also going to be giving out codes via twitter next week.

Anuman Bundle – £22.90/€25.74/$35.92
Continuing the unwritten rule of GOG promotions, they must contain as few games I have played as possible. Strangely, their library seems to be missing most of the games that made up my formative years of PC gaming, and the ones they do have never seem to go on promotion. Here’s a list of names of games that I have not a clue about, but they’re cheap, and you lot are more than knowledgeable enough to tell me which ones are particularly worth attention.
Includes (and individual pricing):
Amerzone: The Explorer’s Legacy – £3.18/€3.58/$4.99
Haegemonia [Gold Edition] – £3.18/€3.58/$4.99
Iron Storm – £3.18/€3.58/$4.99
Megarace 1+2 – £1.90/€2.14/$2.99
Megarace 3 – £1.90/€2.14/$2.99
Still Life – £3.18/€3.58/$4.99
Syberia – £3.18/€3.58/$4.99
Syberia 2 – £3.18/€3.58/$4.99

GTA: San Andreas – £2.49/$3.75
I have no idea if this is available in countries other than the UK and the USA, and after spending 5 minutes trying to find out, I got bored and gave up. Yes it’s from the deeply deeply flawed Microsoft GFWLGOD, but it’s also pretty cheap, and if you’re in the mood for accurately simulating prostitute homicide, then you can’t go wrong with GTA. The game itself isn’t actually infected with GFWL (I think, can anyone confirm or deny that for me), and in theory, since it is pretty old now you won’t have to worry about updates or patches. Whilst we’re on the topic of Microsoft, what do we reckon about their recent talk of making a competent digi disti service? More hollow chatter, or are they perhaps going to deliver this time? I’m going to remain cynical til my final breath, but it could be interesting.

Deal of the week
Batman: Arkham Asylum [Goatee Edition] – £10.20/€17/$13.60
That’s goatee, as in the type of beard. This has actually been available for slightly cheaper than this before, but it was region restricted to just the UK. Arkham Asylum is the story of a man who’s parents got killed by crime, so he decided to punch crime in the face until it couldn’t kill anyone else’s parents. His quest for face punching takes him to an Asylum filled with baddies, so *spoilers* he punches them all in the face. It’s bloody good, Mark Hamill’s Joker steals the show as far as the voice actors are concerned, he’s always trying to make the Batman snap, and he even takes to scaring his own thugs for a bit of fun. Alec’s Wot I think is here and demo is here.

Also of note:
Not quite sure what is going on with this one, but Civilization V for £2.35 [UK Only]. I managed to get it for that price, but then some other people have been saying they did not receive a serial, but then more recently everyone has been saying that it is working. The retailer is certainly reputable, and not some sort of con merchant, and the keys are provided by Ztorm, a Nordic digital distribution firm who presumably have a deal with 2K or Valve. I’d say go for it, you’ll either get the game for £2.35, or get a refund afterwards. It is UK only, but ripe for data smuggling (although you can only buy one serial per account).
Jim continued his excellent run of talking about deals before they are available. Come Monday, DogFighter will be £1.05/€1.50/$1.50.
Cliffsky’s gone and done what several RPS commenters have requested in the past, and bundled all the DLC for GSB together at a discount. It’s £8.07/€7.74/$9.99 for all four DLC packs.
A game called “Numen: Contest of Heroes” is only £1.60/€2/$2, but I know nothing about it.
Darkstar One, an Elite inspired space trading and shooting game that a mate of mine enjoyed on the Xbox, is £3.59/€3.99/£3.99
UKers might want to go ahead and get Diablo 3 preordered now for just £22.97. They won’t charge you til it comes out anyway, and you can always cancel if you change your mind.

Remember to regularly check SavyGamer.co.uk to find out what’s cheap in the world of gaming.

*may or may not be true.
**also may or may not be true.

__________________

« | »

1. Navagon says:

Where’s the logic in making a game cheaper on Steam than the developer’s own site?

• Lewie Procter says:

It’s presumably down to currency fluctuations.

Steam has a price set for each currency, that never changes even as the exchange rate does.

Wadjet Eye’s store charges in dollars, then converts it at todays rates (then adds VAT).

So maybe next week it could be the other way round.

• Navagon says:

Yes, Steam does seem to *cough* lack that particular feature, doesn’t it? Or any understanding of exchange rates at all for that matter.

• neems says:

Does it have anything to do with exchange rates? Computer games have always cost less in the States, much like everything else. I doubt digital distribution will change that.

2. Brumisator says:

Now I can’t get the image of the dark knight with a goatee, possibly from an evil parallel universe, out of my head.

Thanks, Mr. Procter.

3. leeder_krenon says:

can’t belive i got Civ 5 at that price. thanks!!!

4. mlaskus says:

I haven’t received my Civ 5 serial key yet.

• Lewie Procter says:

Yeah, the serials appear to have dried up, but I’m confident if you end up not getting the game, you will get a refund. It’s certainly still worth going for imo. It’s low risk at £2.35 anyway.

• sassy says:

I know I would most certainly be going for it if it weren’t for me being Australian.

• Ziv says:

bought it, if it’s real-then nice I got Civ V for 2.35 and if not then I lost the amount of money that is equal to a serving of falafel.

• mlaskus says:

Yeah, it was 2 quid, so I’m not even worried, but I just wanted to let people know that it still doesn’t work for some of us.

@sassy
      I ordered it through a proxy. They have a simple IP check in place to stop people outside of UK from ordering. Ordering through proxy you risk you credit card details getting stolen. You might want to try the Smuggling Ring on the forum here.

• sassy says:

I thought the data smuggling thread had died off in the forum a while ago but then I checked straight after posting. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Also I really can’t risk my details using a proxy, even if I could get the money back it would still screw over too much.

• Rich says:

No code here either. Still waiting.
      I can see the link to the .pdf, on how to install Steam (woo), but no serial.
      Some people can’t even see the .pdf. Their download section says “Error, no downloads” or somethingorother.

Surely £2.35 was supposed to be £23.50. Someone’s going to have a sore bottom come Monday.

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

I’ve also not got my CivV serial yet. We shall see.

My guess is the same as Rich’s: someone misplaced a decimal point. If it was a deliberate offer, they would advertise the crap out of it. These places should really have a system which double checks if the price is outside of a reasonable range…

• Lewie Procter says:

Even £23.50 would have been a decent price.

• Rich says:

Well above my “what the hell” price threshold though.

• Mithent says:

Not getting anything myself (No downloads found), but I’ll certainly take a punt at getting Civ V for £2.35.. if they honour the orders that’s great, and if they refund them that’s no problem and they’re entitled to do so. Don’t want to miss out on the opportunity though!

• Xercies says:

None here for me, I think they realised there mistake, but there still letting people pay for it which is a bit silly I have to say,

• James G says:

No luck here yet, and haven’t even got a pdf download. I also seem to have two orders, possibly because I switched browsers mid session as Opera was having trouble negotiating a secure connection. Fortunately one says ‘this order will not be processed as no payment information was provided’ so it shouldn’t cause any issues.

Not too bothered if things don’t work out. I got a cheap copy of Alpha Protocol in a similar situation last week (sorry GMG), so to be able to take advantage twice is a little hopeful.

• Vandelay says:

I expect they have now noticed the mistake. I can’t seem to find the deal through the Coolshop site, only via the link hosted on SavyGamer (under the PC Budget directory that the link says Civ 5 is within, only the boxed version is listed and search only brings up this one too.) Strange they haven’t completely deleted the page, rather then just remove the link from their site, but that seems to be what has happened.

Still, I’ve not had any indication from them by e-mail that anything is wrong, just no code. Hopefully, we can get confirmation as to whether they will be honouring the purchases or not soon.

• TWeaK says:

They’ve definitely noticed it now, the savygamer link just goes to a product not found page on Cool Shop

• noom says:

Seems they quickly ran out of serial codes at that price. Just got an email explaining the error and offering a refund as well as £3 of credit.

Could probably press the issue to try and get a serial key out of them, but then I’d just feel like a dick tbh… oh well.

5. The Tupper says:

Has anybody had success getting the Civ V download code? I’ve purchased it from Coolshop and clicked ‘download’ but it puts me back into the shop…

6. The Tupper says:

The swines. I wouldn’t mind if the site did something, like ‘sorry it was all a mistake and Mr Smedley from accounts is going to thrash me on Monday morning when he finds out and…oh it’s all been a terrible mistake and you can’t have your game, you cheapskate, I mean – honestly. Civ V for less than a packet of fags? Do me a favour’.

But it didn’t. It put me back onto the shopping page without a peep. I feel spurned.

7. Tom says:

Bought Yesterday Amerzone, Syberia & Syberia 2 on GOG when i saw their discount.

This is the first time i get the chance to own a digital version of those games in French!

8. noom says:

Just bought Civ 5 from coolshop, but clicking “download” is just taking me to the games catalogue : \

Still trying. Will confirm success if/when it happens.

9. Tinus says:

It’s Gordon Freeman!

10. Retro says:

£10.20/€17/$13.60

Bah.. thanks but no thanks

11. Archonsod says:

Haegemonia [Gold Edition] is worth a few quid. Was something of a hidden gem really, the first attempt to convert a Master of Orion style game into an RTS. So it ends up being somewhat like Sins of a Solar Empire, except with actual solar systems and of course the planet management / economy is a lot more in depth. It also retains the hero characters, and the campaign isn’t too bad.

Some decent deals on GG this week – Dragon Age for just over £10, Mass Effect 2 and Command and Conquer 4 for a little closer to £13.

12. amesace says:

Puppy Games have three of their games in a bundle for 5 bucks US, pretty awesome deal if you ask me

13. Bhazor says:

Anyone trying the Civ V thing be careful. A site not accepting paypal and requiring credit card details should always be treated with suspicion. When it asked to verify my payment it took me to a very suspicious site called securesuite.co.uk which looks very phishy to me at which point I called it quits.

• Heliocentric says:

Its a good job it was civ 5, not some game i actually cared about or i would have gone for that. Thanks for the heads up.

• Film11 says:

Got to ask… did you even read the article you linked to in it’s entirety? It explicitly confirms securesuite.co.uk is legitimate at the end, even though it doesn’t look like it. Coolshop is also quite a reputable retailer, as Lewie said in his article on this deal.

• Bhazor says:

Yeah I’ve done some checking and Securesuite does seem to be the official service for my online bank. The article I linked to was the first Google hit for searching “Securesuite.co.uk” I only read the title of the article and guess I panicked and thought I’d post straightway after reading about some people already trying it.

I guess I get a bit paranoid whenever someone asks for my bank card number. I mean it was close to three years before I trusted giving my details to Amazon.

• CMaster says:

Except that paypal is probably a stronger indicator of being dodgy than normal credit card payments are, that securesuite (Verified by Visa/Mastercard whatever it is) is pretty much unavoidable (though terrible) when doing online shopping in the UK, and coolshop are a known legitimate operator.

• Heliocentric says:

RTFA then eh? What is this, sunday papers?

14. Gorgeras says:

I thought long and hard about the moral implications of taking advantage of what is so obviously a mistake by the retailer. Can it be right to cheat them so, the law beholding the whole company to an offer made by Work-Experience-Boy?

I pondered on these truths and came to but one conclusion: it would be morally wrong NOT to take this offer. Coolshop and 2K may actually make MORE money from this than they would from the regular price, such as the massive increase in sales. There is also the data: I am helping to provide them with a gigantic amount of data. Whilst publishers keep trash-talking about leaving the PC platform because of piracy, or of increasing box prices to recoup costs; the evidence Valve provides by Steam shows the exact opposite: added value increases sales, cheap prices adds value, increased sales recoup costs so much better than high prices(which reduce value). Now they don’t have to just take Valve’s word for it: 2K is now going to experience the enlightenment of customer-focused capitalism.

My logic is undeniable.

• Xercies says:

Except at £2.35 even if you got a whole load of people to get it for that price it may not give them enough money to get a profit/there intial costs.

15. Urael says:

I second Archonsod’s recommendation for Haegemonia: it’s one of my favourite games. Stick with the fairly pedestrian opening Solar System levels (through which you can choose to be either Earth-based Military or the Martian forces) but the game then spreads itself open for you as your chosen force heads off to start colonising the galaxy. Great graphics that still impress today, a tidy little plot, and lashings of ship-on-ship space-shooty action (coupled with some colony and station building on the side). Definitely a game that more people should have played.

Also, and I know this is pedantic, but Darkstar One is less Elite (although I think you meant Elite as in the sense of the basic gameplay template that game single-handedly established) and more a slightly less well baked clone of Freelancer, with one or two unique ideas grafted into it. It’s not bad, as games go, and certainly not at this price, but suffers from being a bit…average.

16. Little Tohya says:

Is there a demo for C&C 4 anywhere? I always thought it sounded like fun, and I prefer the DoW2 style of RTS to the traditional C&C/SC one, but I want a shot first before spending money.

Also, would the Gamersgate version register on Steam? I’m assuming not.

• mlaskus says:

If you do not know if a game registers on Steam, check here. It is a handy list of all games which can be activated there.

• Vandelay says:

I played a little of the multiplayer beta of C&C4 and wasn’t overly impressed. Unlocking units really doesn’t work in a RTS game and just made it impossible to play at the early levels. It also seemed incredibly dependant on your teammates, making it pretty frustrating.

Having said that, it is nothing like the traditional C&C and there is very little building required (if any, outside of defensive structures, which are dependent on what commander you pick.) You can’t compare it with the old entries in the series.

17. blunders says:

Good to see that Broken Sword’s price now matches that of the other download services it’s on. Now I’m just waiting for Alpha Protocol to drop down to $30 on Steam as it is on every other download service…

Steam really needs a section on their site that notifies users about permanent price reductions. Or if they’ve already got one, they need to make it more obvious!

18. bob arctor says:

So, any word on how the Civ5 key thing is doing at around 5 o clock BST Saturday afternoon?

19. galen says:

still waiting on mine

20. Vandelay says:

Just did the Civ 5 deal, even though I was going to wait until some of the expansions came out and I’ve barely played Civ 4 Complete. Just couldn’t turn down such an incredible deal (or cockup.) No key for me or .PDF in my account page as of the moment.

Also, just ordered Dawn of War 2: Gold Edition from Amazon for £18.88. Annoyingly, I originally thought I was getting it for £14.88, but Amazon didn’t bother telling me that I was getting it from an external seller and at the checkout I was told I would be charged an extra £4 for standard 3-5 day delivery, which is usually free when directly from Amazon. Pretty extortionate for such slow delivery if you ask me, but I looked around at other places and the prices were all much higher for Dawn of War 2 and the expansion, so I had to settle with that.

21. SquareWheel says:

Gah, went through the whole process of ordering Civ5 and then they don’t even have an option for Paypal.

22. Unaco says:

Got BATMAN GOATEE yesterday… installed over night, about to start playing this afternoon! Or, at least, I was… until I encountered Games for Windows Live, or whatever the hell it is… I think I may have got it now, after 30 minutes of jumping between the game and browsers etc, trying my Hotmail address then having to add a ‘Gamer’ to it, and it refusing to let me play without me telling it my first name, date of birth, how solid my last shit was, and whether the collars matched the cuffs on Ellen, that blonde I went out with for 9 months in 2001. Every time I thought I’d jumped through the last hoop, something new came up… part downloaded profile, update for windows live, the fact that I gutted as much of IE as I could from my system, but it defaults to that browser when you try to make a new profile/account.

Now, I’ve lost the will to live (and play the game, and therefore be the Bat!) and am going to turn to drugs… that is, I’m going to have a smoke and play some King’s Bounty. Does STEAM do returns/refunds?

P.S. I’m not a Microsoft hater, but GFWL really does seem to be as bad as I’ve heard.

• Brumisator says:

I think most people went through that.

Batman:AA is worth enduring the horrors of GFWL imo.

And no, Steam doesn’t do refunds, except, in rare cases, preorders.

• Unaco says:

Thing is, I was sure I had encountered GFWL previously (for FO3 maybe)… and it wasn’t much of a hassle. I was told that’s just for achievements though… and it’s when it’s handling saves and the like (like with BATMAN!) that it becomes a massive pain.

• Sam says:

Once you have it set up with an account, it’s not too bad. Any additional GFWL game you install from now on should work fine.

23. mwoody says:

You guys really shouldn’t be supporting a “send serial only” site. At best, those things are of questionable ethical grounds. At worst, they’re a front for out-and-out criminal enterprise.

In my experience, when you see an insane deal like that, there are several possibilities about how:
    – They stop sending out numbers after a while. Once they’ve built momentum by taking a loss on an initial shipment, they stop sending them out or send out bad ones. Then they disappear and laugh all the way to the bank.
    – They’ve stolen the numbers outright, possibly via trojans (more common for MMOs).
    – They’re duplicating the numbers. So they might sell the number inside, then sell the physical copy to someone else. Whichever one of you who plays second loses – though, sometimes you might see them do this in a country where customers CAN’T log in online (i.e. Steam doesn’t support their country), so essentially the game is split into one offline-only copy and one resold online copy.
    – They’ve stolen, reverse-engineered, or brute-forced the mechanics of the serial number generation system, so they can just make them out of thin air. Once the publisher realizes it’s happening, they inevitably pull a record of which numbers have and haven’t shipped and kill the ones that haven’t (though that means pulling unshipped stock at great expense).
    – Sometimes, companies will sell basic versions of their product in piracy-heavy markets like China or India at insanely low prices, trying to make money in bulk despite having to price it incredibly low to “compete” with free. Inevitably, when a store tries to sell these internationally, they end up with these keys disabled by the publisher (invoking regional protections).
    – A criminal enterprise has decided it’s worth a few copies of a popular computer game to get access to a huge number of credit card numbers confirmed to have disposable income.

$5 for a game available for $50 elsewhere… Do the math. Someone is going to get screwed, and the best you can hope for is that you’ve ruined someone else’s day and not your own.

• Pesforozo says:

”The retailer is certainly reputable, and not some sort of con merchant, and the keys are provided by Ztorm, a Nordic digital distribution firm who presumably have a deal with 2K or Valve.”

• Sam says:

You’re reading too much into it. It’s most likely a mistake and the retailer is reputable and sells boxed games as well.

24. Falcon says:

Cliffski, you win. I had been holding out on GSB due to indirect control, but then you go do this. My resistance is broken, broken I say. For $10 how can I refuse, well played sir.

25. Lukasz says:

heh. numen sells for 2 dollars. 2 bucks buys you barely a snickers bar. and only in woolworths. You want even get a cup of joe for that much.

tempted to buy it but damn i am swarmed with games right now. too many (around 40 games i bought and yet never played. half on gog)

26. Dragon says:

A lot of stores have fixed prices like that, apple appstore set the exchange rate for eg at a time that was very favourable for UK. Though on steam, there isn’t anything to force a specific exchange rate, the prices can be very different in different regions. sometimes wildly so, though usually they’re relatively in line.

27. Pantsman says:

So I hear the first Syberia is really good. I’ve heard more mixed things about the second. Anyone care to share their opinion on the series with me before I cast my hard-earned Cana-dollars into GoG’s vast, gleaming coffers?

• Graham says:

Syberia is great: if you’re on the fence, just buy one for now – it’s a full game by itself. If you love it, $10 is a fine price for part 2. If you don’t, you’ll have saved 7 bucks.

• mwoody says:

Here’s the thing about Syberia: if you play and enjoy the first, you’re going to have to get the second to see how the story ends. Some might like the second less, and I suppose I can see their point, but it’s not really due to a lack of quality so much as a lessened urgency of the plot. Both are traditional point-and-click adventures, but I don’t recall them being on the particularly frustrating side of the genre. I found the story enjoyable and the locales delightful.

If you’ve not played either, get Syberia for no other reason than they’re sequential parts of the same story, and that’s the first one. The hard part is deciding whether or not to get both while they’re on sale, and there I’d recommend yes, but it depends heavily on how much you can enjoy/withstand a linear point-and-click adventure, and how much the story of an insurance (I think – it’s been a while) investigator’s attempt to investigate a bizarre, Willy Wonka-esque toymaker interests you.

28. JonGrimes says:

DotEmu has cool Microids games 50% off this weekend too (4.99 € each) : Atlantis 2, Egypt 3, and Return To Mysterious Issland

29. Sailor Moon says:

Yep, first Syberia is very good game. I love its world, filled with automatons, interesting characters and nice places to visit. Good puzzles too, nothing mind blowing, but there is this “I did it!” feeling after solving them. There is a demo for Syberia somewhere, but I must warn you: it’s short and covers only small part of first location (it’s not that interesting – it gets much more better after first location). For 7$ it’s must buy deal.

30. ARMLESScorps says:

The Civ5 thing seems like a scam to me

• Vandelay says:

As others have said:

“The retailer is certainly reputable, and not some sort of con merchant, and the keys are provided by Ztorm, a Nordic digital distribution firm who presumably have a deal with 2K or Valve.”

It is clearly a mispricing and most likely is a misplaced decimal point. As the boxed copy from the store is £26.99, £23.50 sounds about right for a digital only copy.

31. c. todd [phylum sinter] says:

Where exactly do i find Darkstar One for the advertised price? the link posted gets me an RPS 404…

32. destroy.all.monsters says:

Any of you lovely UKers care to hook up one of us dirty USians with a key? Happily pay you back via paypal.

33. ordteapot says:

Hey Lewie,

It’s probably not ideal, but you can set your netbook to force display resolution of 1024×640 even if the LCD native is just 1024×600. The extra 40 pixels will appear by the screen automagically scrolling up and down when you shove the cursor onto the edges. Not sure the specifics of how you get this to work; it was available by default as an option with my Asus Eee(eeeeeeeee!) PC. I assume the internets have guides/rants/etc.

Course, that’ll be a major pain if it so happens the interface shows info in the top 40 pixels and the lower 40 pixels that you need to be seeing at all times.

34. LostSoviet says:

Direct2Drive is offering a 10% discount on all FPS games with coupon code “locknload”.

GreenManGaming has another double value for trade-ins offer going. Dump your old games now to save up store credit for the inevitable holiday sales.

GetGames has two bundles going: “the daddy of all bundles” (Cryostasis, Necrovision, Necrovision Lost Company, Vivisector, and You Are Empty at 75% off), and Alien Shooter 2 reloaded + Zombie Driver + Zombie Shooter 2 bundled together for half price.

Steam has combined two preorders into the delightfully named Shank n Spank bundle (15% off the total rather than the individual 10% preorders).

35. GibletHead2000 says:

Hello

We write to you because you have made a purchase of our Civilization 5 Download game. Unfortunately there was a price error on this product causing it to be shown at an obviously faulty price. The company that supplies us with the download games only supply a certain number of codes. Unfortunately this means we are unable to cover all the orders with the supply of cdkeys we can get from the supplier. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and will naturally issue you a full refund. Furthermore we will give you 3 Coolshop points (a value of £3) as compensation.

We thank you for your custom, and look forward to seeing you in our shop again.

Kind regards