Sky Rocket In Flight: Nimbus

By Quintin Smith on October 26th, 2010 at 11:36 am.

RPS reader Andreas “So Powerful” Persson writes to inform us that indie puzzle-racer Nimbus has just been released on Steam for the price of £5.99. £5.99! That’s not even the cost of a book, and as well all know, books aren’t so hot. If a book was on Hot Or Not, how well would it do? Case closed.

Nimbus was originally an entry into the 2010 IGF, so the game’s evidently done well for itself. No demo yet, but maybe you’ll be sold on the trailer beneath. Maybe…

__________________

« | »

, .

1. AndrewC says:

I reckon it looks more fun than, say, Bob Came In Pieces because it’s all environment puzzles rather than sitting in sub-menus farting about with optimum builds, but what on earth is the difference between them other than that?

I think i’ve turned into grumpy man that thinks 2-D platform/puzzle games are now as lame as brown shooters. Here’s Brainy Gamer saying i’m wrong: http://www.brainygamer.com/the_brainy_gamer/

But he is the one who is wrong!

• Om says:

From the link, “Platformers are our purest gaming expression”. Is this sarcasm? Is it possible the the height of my gaming experience was actually Commander Keen, Bio Menace and Crystal Caves? Or is it merely that all the cool ‘indie gamers’ don’t like acronyms like FPS or RPG?

• phlebas says:

Oi. Some of us enjoyed sitting in sub-menus farting about with optimum builds!

• Sagan says:

@Om: He’s talking pure in the sense that platformers are pure gameplay.

Read the rest of that paragraph again with that in mind:

Platformers are our purest gaming expression. Unlike shooters, strategy, or sports games, they draw from no real-life analogue. Their inherent absurdity defines them. We jump and glide and bounce for no useful reason other than the playful thrill of doing it. We reach the flagpole and we’re rewarded with…another flagpole. Traversing the Mushroom Kingdom is a psychedelic trip because making logical sense of such a world takes all the fun out of it.

He’s not saying that platformers are better than other genres. Just that they are more pure gameplay.

• Om says:

Which is a joke. You cannot excuse the fact that, as a gaming experience, jumping over robots in Red Rock Rover’s fortress simply does compare to running from helicopters in HL2. The former is ‘purer’ in that it lacks almost everything we associate with modern games, but I fail to see why this is in any way laudable or should be encouraged. And no, jazz comparisons will not suffice

• Brumisator says:

Since you’re misunderstanding the point trying to be made, Om, here’s another metaphor for you:

platforming is water: clear, transparent, pure.
      a good modern game is a fine wine: complex, subtle, delicious.

Which one is better? that’s not the point trying to be made.

2. ZamFear says:

“This video contains content from playcast, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.”

>:(

• bill says:

me to. Are playcast the developers? If so then screw em.
      If they are some random annoying third party then i’ll put in a bit of effort and try to find out about the game.

• MadTinkerer says:

This is peculiarly mad, because it’s a trailer. Region codes are one thing. Blocking off particular regions from seeing advertising for your product on “copyright” grounds is beyond ludicrous. In fact, I suspect it’s accidental rather than on purpose.

Anyway, the trailer is up on Steam, and the game itself is available in my region.

3. AukonDK says:

Is “Hot or Not” even still going?

*looks*

My god it is! And my account is still there! After 6 years!

4. Simon says:

“No demo yet”

Tags: demo

Oh god time paradox

5. HYPERPOWERi says:

In other news, DeathSpank. It’s awesome.

6. Red Avatar says:

Christmas themed games always get +1 from me at this time of year. I miss the time when developers would make Christmas editions of their games – Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Jazz Jackrabbit, Syndicate, etc. – well, it has snow which is already good enough for me :p

7. Sam says:

This actually looks really fun.

8. Winged Nazgul says:

US readers go here:

9. Kill_The_Drive says:

9.99 € here, god damn. Somebody tell me if it’s worth the purchase.

10. jd says:

Has anyone managed to get it running? For me, it crashes on launch with an “OGRE EXCEPTION” error message. Can’t find any relevant forums or info on the problem :(

11. MadMatty says:

had a look thru a lot of the IGF 2010 entries, and i remember atleast watching the trailer for this one.
    Looks like theres a lot of geniuses around, as in: “Talent iterates, Genius steals”.
    Still, there was little that screamed “play me”, tho, ofcourse, i´m hopelessly hardcore, in a been there done that, way.
    Did anyone else see something interesting in the IGF entries?

• MadMatty says:

nah i watched the trailer of the other flying snake thinghy with rainbows.
      This DOES loke like Bob the Builder.

12. Eclipse says:

I got: Numen, The Ball, Deathspank, Shank and DoghFighter, I think I’m done for today

13. Jan Schaffer says:

This game turned out surprisingly good. Puzzle mechanics / level design is very solid, the ship/flying around is smooth and fun and you always feel like it’s your own fault if you mess up.

Only cons so far is that the Intro movie isn’t skippable when you first start a new game and that there’s no gui to rebind keys (though most ppl are probably comfy just using arrows/wasd)

If it’s worth the money depends on how many levels there are, I haven’t played more than the first 1.5 worlds so far, but it looks like there might be a ton of them as nothing yet looks like the complex stuff shown in the trailer.
    Also most levels seems to have extra collectibles/alternative paths for advanced players, so yeah, probably worth it.

14. Angryinternetman says:

Physics puzzle but with a twist. Never heard of that one before.
    I remember back when CS was getting popular, and people were making games and mods called “Its CS but better” and “Its CS but with a twist.”

15. Lambchops says:

As ever with this type of game I’ll wait for a demo first.

16. Byth says:

It’s been released, yo. 10 bucks and it’s app #50000 on Steam.

17. Anonymousity says:

This is clear evidence of the downfall of RPS and the professionalism of this Quintin guy That other guy wot is not around anymore would have done it much betterer.

18. Guigr says:

I bought it out of boredom and it turns out to be a very nice time attack game.
    It’s in the vein of Trackmania and Trial 2 with a bit of puzzle thrown in the mix.

19. Retroid says:

Brilliant game, no doubt going to be hugely overshadowed by Meatboy when that comes out… But it’s great, best buy I’ve made in a long time.

Developer said ther’s going to be updates, so hopefully the options won’t quite be so bare bones in the future.

20. Kua says:

Sounds like my kind of thing… Demo here (apparently). So far all it gives me is an app with no UI and a picture of some clouds.

21. Kua says:

Oh hang on. Sorry. I think that’s the intention. Its just a proof of concept. The programmer can code clouds :)

22. Kua says:

Wait a second. That’s not even the game in question. Its an “experimental cloud rendering engine”! That would explaing the cloud and the lack of game. It utterly confused me because it defaulted the install location to Steam.

23. Hippo says:

I’m disappointed Nimbus seems to have been dismissed fairly quickly over here, because it rocks.