Actually, We Are Getting Bioshock 2 DLC

By Jim Rossignol on October 27th, 2010 at 6:14 pm.

Previously canned DLCs for Bioshock 2 will be arrive on PC after all. That’s what “2K Elizabeth” has said over here. The post reads: “I have some good news concerning the BioShock 2 PC patch as well as the development of Protector Trials and Minerva’s Den for the PC. Not to keep you in suspense any longer, I’ll sum it up with one sentence: We have resumed development on all three and they will be coming to PC.”

It also looks like the patch and the Protector Trials will be due roughly December time and they will be free. This is: Good News.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Paul Moloney says:

Hurrah – I was looking forward to Minerva’s Den so disappointed when they originally announced we weren’t getting it.

P.

2. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Yay

3. smokingkipper says:

Sorry if I am being ignorant here, but for what reasons might they not want to also release this on the PC?

• Jim Rossignol says:

“Technical” issues.

• Alexander Norris says:

Of all the possible excuses, “technical issues” is probably the most legitimate one – there’s quite the range of OSes and hardware to test on so if they had a problem with, say, Vista it might’ve made more sense to not release.

• Schnapple says:

Basically the post says that their certification process (for GFWL, I guess) pushed them past the “we need to start working on something else” deadline so the canned it.

And as usual we PC gamers pissed and moaned and got it back.

• Heliocentric says:

Here’s to pissing, moaning and gettings your own way.

• SquareWheel says:

I’m sorry, did you say monetary?

4. nabeel says:

Awesome.

5. Hunam says:

Yay!

Pissing and moaning on the internet in now doing something shocker!

6. Morkai says:

Forgive my ignorance but does anyone else not get why they can’t develop this ONCE and then put it across all platforms – after all isn’t it getting made in a PC environment and then ported in the first place?!?!?!

• Hunam says:

Considering how terrible the PC ports are for Bioshock games, that scenario doesn’t seem likely.

• Hallgrim says:

Being made on a PC doesn’t mean its made *for* a PC. The hardware architecture matters.

• noobnob says:

Different hardware, different APIs, specific optimizations for each platform (x360, ps3 and IBM-PCs), different processor architectures…I could go on.

• HexagonalBolts says:

I’ve always wondered about this – do they literally develop it from the ground up for each system? Or does a vast majority of it just simply copy and paste over?

• Ziv says:

PC and X360 are almost identical in development, both can use very similar code-this is why a lot of ports look very close to the X360 version, and why most of the developers are lazy and do bad ports.
      the code for PS3 development is different because of the different GPU and CPU architecture.

what developers do is make all the assets (graphics & sounds) and then let the coders focus on one version and modify it to work on different systems.

• jalf says:

Er, the PS3 has what’s basically a standard-issue GeForce 7900, where the 360 has a custom-built ATI GPU. The PS3 CPU is widely different, sure, but the 360 one is not exactly “like a PC CPU either”. For one thing it is able to run more threads simultaneously (6) than is usual on a PC (2 or 4), and each individual core is also *ridiculously* weak compared to a PC CPU core. The CPU also uses an entirely different instruction set.

The main thing that makes it easier to port between 360 and PC is that both commonly use MIcrosoft tools and libraries. Both use DirectX, and games on both are commonly developed using Microsoft’s compiler and IDE (Visual Studio).

But the hardware isn’t very similar.

• DrGonzo says:

Also, PC is easier as you can release any old crap half baked. But, PS3 and 360 have various specifications and fees that need to be met if you want to release something on them.

7. noobnob says:

Slated for December and 2k Games has zero releases for the holiday season. Isn’t this a bit too convenient?

Either way, free stuff + patch is good. Expect a sale for Bioshock 2 soon from the digital distributor of your choice.

8. mrmud says:

From what I have heard Minervas Den is supposedly really good, so this is great news.

UW says:

That is good news.

If it wasn’t free, I would buy it just to show my appreciation.

As long as it was reasonably priced.

10. Kieron Gillen says:

This is just great news.

KG

11. JohnnyMaverik says:

Good news, I’m not usually all that interested in DLC but after hearing the praise that was being heaped on Minerva’s Den I really wanted to give it a go.

12. Brandon says:

Absolutely fantastic news!

Eric says:

Well THAT makes the 2nd copy of Bioshock 2 that I ordered yesterday on 360 for < $10 pretty useless.

Eric says:

To be clear, this is still great news. I just don’t have anything to do with that thing now. Anybody want to pay $5 for a copy of Bioshock 2 on the 360? :-p

14. Mistabashi says:

For those that aren’t aware, there were a lot of quite rightly pissed off BS2 purchasers who fairly recently were told that, despite what they had been led to believe by the publishers, these DLC’s & patches would not arrive on the PC, for extremely vague reasons. A lot of people were quite rightly annoyed, because it was essentially a publisher saying “we know all about these bugs you are experiencing, and we also know that you would quite like this DLC we are offering to our console customers, but we aren’t going to help you with either of these things for unexplained reasons”.

I’m too cynical to think this turn of events is due to them listening to their customers, I suspect there’s something more to this story. Is there any known turmoil within 2K? Was the team’s future in the balance or something? It definately doesn’t sound right anyway…

15. Po0py says:

Well done you lot, on seeing the light. Don’t do that to us again.

drewski says:

ZOMG WORLD IS ENDIN….

Oh wait.

17. Mark | Retroblique says:

Sure, “technical issues”.

2K Games “forgot” to invite that awkward PC kid from down the street to little 2K Marin’s party. PC’s parents complained and 2K Games backtracked to save face.

I think 2K Games were quick to realise that pissing off their loyal PC fan base wouldn’t be the best thing to do ahead of BioShock Infinite’s release (as far off as it is, gamers have long memories). I bought BioShock 2 on PS3; I fully intended to buy BioShock Infinite on PC, but their “no DLC for the PC riff-raff” attitude gave me pause for thought. Despite their backtracking I’m still in pause mode.

18. Shariq says:

Fantastic news! Now they just need to stop the game from crashing constantly!

In all seriousness though, I’m happy we’re getting this stuff. I just wish the game didn’t just up and quit whenever I made progress.

19. Navagon says:

Does this mean we’ll have to buy it through… GFWL? I think I’ll wait for their revamp… and a sale.

• Vinraith says:

I think I’ll wait for a GotY edition so I don’t have to deal with their store at all…

• Navagon says:

That’s probably the best option for people who don’t own the base game already.

• Vinraith says:

@Navagon

Yeah, I do wish more companies would put out DLC collections concurently with GotY editions, for folks that have the base game but haven’t gotten around to the DLC. As it stands, if you already own the base game, you either have to put up with whatever crappy store front they’re using for their DLC or rebuy the base game when the GotY comes out, neither of which is a very appealing option.

• redrain85 says:

A GOTY edition is probably the main (maybe even the only) reason we’re getting the patch and DLC.

There’s a remote possibility that Microsoft intervened behind the scenes, since Bioshock 2 DLC after all would go great together with their upcoming GfWL relaunch. I mean, what the hell would the point be of bothering with GfWL at all, if all their publishing partners are abandoning it for “technical” reasons or otherwise?

But, I think I’m being too kind to Microsoft with that conjecture . . .

20. Zogtee says:

Thank you, Elizabeth.

21. goatmonkey says:

heard good things about Minerva’s den so might be getting it trials well they are free but I’m to interested

22. goatmonkey says:

heard good things about Minerva’s den so might be getting it trials well they are free but I’m not interested

23. A-Scale says:

Great news for anyone who wasn’t made motion sick by Bioshock 2 like I was. Strange since no other games make me motion sick.

• Nethlem says:

That’s probably because of the console FoV…
      Expect that to happen more often in the future when more crappy console ports get released.

24. Urthman says:

I hadn’t bought Bioshock 2 yet and when they canned Minerva’s Den, I decided I probably never would. Now I probably will. Definitely will if they do a GOTY release.

25. mod the world says:

This is terrible news.

26. sfox says:

That’s great news

27. Angel Dust says:

Awesome! I’ll definitely be picking up any kind of GOTY edition that pops up.

28. frags says:

Video games!!!!!

29. MadMinstrel says:

Will this include gamepad support that was also not coming to PC?

30. Rohit says:

Still not getting it (due to not caring), but good news.

31. Urael says:

Good news, everyone!

32. Flakfizer says:

Meh.

I’m more interested in 2K’s complete news blackout on XCOM.

33. TheAngelOfTheft says:

So 2K decided to milk us after all!!

34. Phinor says:

I bet they were planning to release them all along but MS decided to re-vamp GFWL and they both decided Bioshock 2 DLC would be among the promotional material.

Whatever, I do want to see Minerva’s Den. I’m just not sure if I want to re-install Bioshock 2 again because it took me literally a week to fix all the mouse and FOV issues.

35. mbp says:

If it is true it is very good news. I played and enjoyed Bioshock 2 in its entirety and I reckon I have already gotten my money’s worth. I had no expectation of further free add ons.

36. Orvidos says:

Hot scoops, directly from. . .not Steve Gaynor.

Hot scoops regardless. Looking forward to this.

37. MadTinkerer says:

YES. I am pleased they caved into my demands and are releasing the Bioshock 2 single player DLC. Soon my boycott of the single player Bioshock 2 DLC will end!

38. dhex says:

is bioshock two worth finishing? i’m about two or three hours in, iirc.

• Greg Provost says:

It’s definitely worth finishing. I had a lot of fun, but only after a bit of frustration. Don’t remap any action keys – only the movement keys can me remapped without causing problems. And be prepared for your plasmids to shuffle randomly when you upgrade existing ones.

39. dethtoll says:

seriously

40. Number47 says:

Damn, and I just bought Minervas Den for PS3

41. Danda says:

Yes, please! I want to play Minerva’s Den.