Jelly Shots: Confetti Carnival

By Quintin Smith on October 28th, 2010 at 10:48 am.

Confetti takes its name from one Ricardo Confetti, an Italian Monarchist who exploded on his 24th birthday.

If games have taught me three things, it’s that humans have a secret love of (1) shooting other humans in the dick, (2) numbers going up, and (3) blobs. Blob-lovers! Listen close, because IGF 2011 entrant Confetti Carnival is quite literally the best-looking blob game I’ve seen all morning.

The game will see us flinging different-coloured blobs at delicate confetti bombs, trying to match colours and string together the most wonderful confetti explosions. It… I guess it sounds kind of mundane, but just watch the trailer below. It’s a masterclass in exciting editing.

Do you get a kind of Peggle-vibe off this one? I do. It looks all slick and rewarding. Mm. Thanks to the Indie Games blog for spotting this.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Longrat says:

I’m not sure I follow on the whole pointing system for this game but I really really hope that they don’t pull that “time slowdown” effect every 5 seconds like in this trailer or we’re gonna have a problem.

I really don’t need a slow mo effect for a blob with a face.

• Baboonanza says:

It looks to me like the slow-mo is integral to the gameplay. My guess would be that the player controls the game speed so that they can make mid-flight adjustments (indicated by the arrows on the blobs mid-flight?)

• AndrewC says:

I do. I need slo-mo zoom ins to their smiley faces and I need the ‘ting!’ sound effect when their teeth flash. I need a farting sound effect when you make your blobs do something rubbish and I need to be able to squish two blobs together so there are two smiley faces in one giant blob and giant hearts will float up from it. I need all these things.

What I do not need in my life right now, and you migth call me crazy for saying this, is a serious and accurate simulation of blobs.

• HexagonalBolts says:

There’s no realism in this at all. It’s the CoD of blob games. Call me old fashioned but I’ll stick with blob simulator 2000 thank-you very much.

• Longrat says:

Well gee I guess I’m the only one that’s sick of the matrix slowmo effect then!

2. pakoito says:

Isn’t it IGF, not IGN?

• Quintin Smith says:

My favourite is when I spot a mistake, fix it, and there’s already somebody in the comments pointing out the mistake.

You guys are TOOO FAAST.

• mlaskus says:

Hmm, why are you proof reading after posting? Wouldn’t doing that before submitting save you the embarrassment?

Unless of course, you do it both before and after, but then you are a rubbish proof reader. :)

• mwoody says:

It’s hard to reliably catch errors in something you’ve just written, as you subconsciously remember pieces of the text rather than reread it. Often, I’ll find the simple change of typeface and/or line breaks that occurs once I submit a comment or post will be enough to let me suddenly spot an obvious error.

• mlaskus says:

Yeah, I know, I just wanted to call him a rubbish something. So that John doesn’t feel so bad about the whole healing thing. ;)

3. Lars Westergren says:

Really nice music, and editing.

Looked a bit like the control mechanic was like in Angry Birds, or? Click and drag to select amount power and direction?

4. OBL says:

So world of goo meets suicide bombers.

Now we only need to add some gore to it instead of girly-sparkles and things might get interesting.

Right now the target audience seems to be Jazz Hands people and girls.

5. hausplant says:

“…it’s that humans have a secret love of (1) shooting other humans in the dick.”

not entirely with you on that one.

• Temple to Tei says:

If by not being with you mean not understanding then, well, he means Halo et al where the greatest innovation and indeed the thing asked for by much of the core audience in scientific surveys, was the ability to shoot people in, yes, the dick.

• Clovis says:

Oh, I totally have this problem. I spent hours and hours shooting people in the crotch while playing GoldenEye. Yeah, pretty much as soon as a game allowed me to precisely pick where the bullet would go, I aimed right between the legs.

Or at hats. Shooting hats off people is great fun too. Or little glass things that break when you shoot them. These kids today, with their fully destructable environments, don’t get to have the joy of finally shooting at a beaker and seeing it break into little pieces. Or windows.

Oh, and birds. Shooting birds out of the sky …

• JDK says:

I always felt it was more the balls.

Apparently combat arms is a free to play FPS that also has zombies and nut shots.

I could have sword Soldier Of Fortune had something like it, but was unable to turn anything up.

I am fairly certain some shooters had it.

Either way, I enjoy any area specific damage model shooter.

• hausplant says:

well, id be interested in a next-gen FPS with fully destructible genitalia.

• Crabtacular says:

Well, I think Left 4 Dead 2 has pretty good nut shots. One of the first things I noticed when I played the demo was that you can blast a male zombie’s crotch off and watch their bowels fall out. It’s pretty disgusting.

6. Hwan says:

Finally, I can control Meatwad.

Also, the screenshot brought to mind that cellphone ad of bugs getting splatted with jelly:

7. John Peat says:

That’s the 2nd-best trailer for a game I’ve ever seen – if they game matches the video quality it will be amazing…

Oh – and you want to know what No1 is then?? It’s this one…. ;)

8. Hmm-Hmm. says:

This looks like one of those flash puzzle games.. except it’s more flashy and has slow-motion.

9. LionsPhil says:

I don’t think Goo product has to worry about being usurped in the “happy little blob” stakes, though.

10. Niv Fisher says:

Thank you all for checking out our trailer!

Regarding the slow motion effects, most of which are added as part of the editing. There is some time stretching/manipulation but only to support proper game-play. It’s very much a skill game and can get pretty intensive once you get the skills.

Oh, and you probably won’t see any genitalia shots in our game, but you guys made us laugh several times over ;)

Comment on this story