Hell, Yes: Escape From The Underworld

By Quintin Smith on November 1st, 2010 at 1:35 pm.

The power of Christ compels you (to download this game).

The guys over at the Indie Games blog are going crazy for this. Escape from the Underworld is a half-hour long Metroidvania-style indie game following the fall and rise of an Angel. It’s tough, but smart, and perseverance is well rewarded. Go play!

Did you have a nice Haloween? I love Haloween. It’s how I’d like the world to be all the time. Black/orange colour scheme, scary films, everyone dressing like an Australian’s nightmare, and vegetable carving an accepted pastime. It’s great, and if you disagree you are a miserable grumpycat. That’s what I think.

, , .

1. bleeters says:

Bah, haloween! I refuse to bend knee to your seasonal racketeering.

/miserable grumpycat

• D says:

Don’t worry, some people don’t believe in what Quinns thinks anyway, and some even believe that he should not be allowed to think so.

• bleeters says:

I am a miserable grumpycat, though :(

2. Brumisator says:

If it hadn’t been for the minecraft update, I wouldn’t even have known it was Hallow ‘een.

On topic: I laughed out loud when you enter the village. I guess I should have expected it, but it was funny.

3. drewski says:

Hollow Ween is indeed pretty cool. I like dressing up.

4. DMcCool says:

Hrmm. Not sure about the game, mechanics are a bit too punishing for my puny tastes. Does anyone else ever wish that all the games that attempt something interesting with their narrative didn’t all do it with rehashes of Mario? The ultimate meaning of most of this games being “The hero was good at jumping!”

My ineptitude at Mario aside, the opening was a really cool gambit. Then it got a bit too grindy for my taste. Someone good at this type of game report back with what happens next?

• Auspex says:

It’s really punishing at the start but becomes more forgiving when you get more health.

*SPOILERS*
      You walk and jump around, you get a map, more health, a sword, magic energy, the ability to run, you stab some things, you get the ability to fly, you fly around, your sword gains the ability to shoot laser bolts that destroy barriers, you destroy the barrier at the start you kill the good angel (Gabriel?), the sky goes all dark and imposing – YOU WIN!
      *SPOILERS*

Fun game, only takes 30 mins – well worth sticking with.

• Wilson says:

@Auspex – Thanks for the spoilers, it helped my curiosity. I started it up, ran through a few rooms (got the map and sword) but then got bored. I didn’t see anything particularly clever about it (not even a gimmick of some kind) and the gameplay wasn’t good enough for me to bother completing it.

5. Kefren says:

Carved a pumpkin, lit the candle, stuck it on my printer, then played through Penumbra: Overture for the first time. Great evening!

I had played the Penumbra tech demo in 2006 and sent some comments about monster design etc. Over the years I have bought Penumbra three times, yet only got round to playing it last night. I bought Overture in a DVD case; then got it as part of the recent ‘Humble Pay What You Want Indie Bundle’; then bought the trilogy on GamersGate, and bought Amnesia at the same time. I have a lot of games but finally got round to Penumbra Overture. It was excellent, I love the slow pace, maturity and danger, and the monster design is vastly improved over the tech demo. I emailed Frictional Games to congratulate them and wish them all the best. I look forward to starting Black Plague tonight, and spent this morning trying their unfinished ‘Unbirth’, which showed promise but crashes once I try and leave the kitchen.

6. Richard Beer says:

I had a lovely Halloween, thank you for asking.

Presumably by Haloween you mean Halo: ween which I’ve heard is slang for the whining noise made by Halo: Reach players unable to get the “If they came to hear my beg” achievement. Mind you, it’s a proper bitch.

7. hahaha says:

quite fun! (but indeed, quite hard also) Did anyone go back to the intro-screen and tried to win it?

8. shady2020 says:

Just beat it…..way way to difficult and frustrating especially the end boss fight.Had the boss at around 99% health several times when i died.The ending was way too underwhelming for all the trouble.

9. Manik says:

As an Australian, I fail to see the link between hallows eve and everyone suddenly not personifying Saxton Hale

10. Jables says:

Fallout: NV sorta has a Black/orange colour scheme… just sayin’. :)

• Auspex says:

Ah but Fallout 3 was /more/ orange and I think everyone agreed it was much, much better than NV.