Oh Man, More Zombies: Bunch Of Heroes

By Quintin Smith on November 1st, 2010 at 12:06 pm.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Not here, obviously.

You know Left 4 Dead? 4 player co-op zombieshoots? Imagine that from a top-down perspective, with over the top cartoon artwork and the zombies assault being masterminded by aliens, and I suppose you kinda have Bunch of Heroes.

The download-only title was announced this weekend, scheduled for summer 2011. Full press release and trailer after the jump. Maybe THIS game will have that feature I want, where a fifth player launches the enemy waves and tries to bring down the players with tactics and timing and… no? Probably not? Ah, well.

Buenos Aires – (October 29, 2010) NGD Studios, an independent game developer and publisher based in Buenos Aires, Argentina, announces first entry into the action games space.

Bunch of Heroes is a humorous 4 player cooperative top-down shooter for the PC. The game sets a super team of Earth’s warriors against an Alien invasion and their Zombie Army.

Play as Agent Liu, Jared Joe, El Comandante or Captain Smith as humanity’s last line of defense. Survive by any means wielding a huge arsenal including flame throwers, rail guns and gravity bombs. Or charge over-the-top super powers that will annihilate your enemies! Cooperate online with up to 4 players, level up and improve your attributes & skills.

Bunch of Heroes features stylized cartoon artwork, retro inspired music and cutting edge technology mixed with great humor to inspire zombie and Alien haters all over the world!

Based on the new proprietary engine Perfection, Bunch of Heroes started as a spare time project at NGD but quickly grew into full production once the team realized its potential. “This is what’s great about independent studios, there’s always a chance to come up with something new. We hit the motherload with the Bunch”, said Leonardo Benaducci, Lead Engine programmer and father of the Perfection Engine.

“Like with Regnum Online, we are proud to be able to work in games our team loves. It’s the only way to make internationally outstanding products in Latin America,”, said Andrés Chilkowski, General Manager of NGD Studios.

Bunch of heroes is slated for a Q2 2011 release for PC on major digital content delivery platforms.

Become a Hero, Earth needs a bunch of them at least!

Cynical as I am, I adore that last line. Earth needs a bunch of them at least!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. poop says:

dgwagdhsdaggwdgadgjwavbkjwagdkjwavdh so fucking bored of zombies

• drewski says:

Plants vs. Zombies is the only zombie game I’ve ever played, and I only finished that because I’m stubborn.

I wonder if people are making zombie games because that way gamers don’t complain about dodgy AI.

• Jack says:

The conciet of the zombie genre is that the heroes are surrounded by huge hordes of mindless enemies, and that’s just something that fits stupidly well into video games.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Zombies are the new Nazis in terms of slaughter fodder. The real use of Zombies should be in an inescapable sense of dread, isolation, and inevitability. There’s always more, and they’re always coming. Of course it is unlikely we will ever see a game that accurately does this in a way that is also fun.

• Wulf says:

Generic Foe that is Popular (currently zombies) is kind of like the Darwinism of gaming though, isn’t it? As said, it’s sort of like nazis. Once you understand the face of the generic, you just learn to think ‘right, this game has X in it, it’s going to be best to ignore this game’. I really hope Valve don’t bother with a L4D3 for this reason, because it’s just not interesting any more. Valve’s zombies were attention-grabbing for a bit because they were zoombies (something I believe was invented by Valve, with the headcrab zombies and all?), but it’s gotten to the point where there’s just a huge malaise about zombies. And here’s the thing, it’s past that threshold where zombies will sell because you have people thinking that zombies are fashionable again, and they’ll buy things which are. I’m looking at you, average console gamer person. You’re not cool like you were just one console generation ago.

Really though, this is also how you tell which minds you shouldn’t trust to make a game. I mean, recently a bunch of people left ArenaNet, I was originally concerned, then I read that they were leaving ArenaNet because ‘the world has too many dragons and not enough zombies’ (I’m serious) and they wanted to make a zombie game. At almost the exact moment I read that, my attitude changed to ‘good riddance’. There haven’t been too many dragons in the world since the bloody 80′s. After the 80′s they sort of mostly died out, and seeing well-done dragons in anything is a rare thing, not a commonality. So, they left a game which is as obviously creative as GW2 is, what with its dynamic events, its visually clever dragons (the Shatterer is beautiful), its actually not-cookie-cutter races (a world where the beast race understands Science more than the humans, it’s almost unimaginable), and… I don’t know, a game that actually seems interesting, they left that behind to create Yet Another Zombie Shooter™? Good riddance.

It really is like Darwinism at work, because it’s getting to the point now that if developers are creating zombie games, you know you can happily ignore the game and not miss out on anything, but it’s likely fair to say that the developer is fair game for ignoring too, this is especially true if they have no other games than zombie games on the go, or if a zombie game is their first game. Or even if their first/main game has a strong zombie focus, then it’s going to be ignored. Zombies are currently the anti-creativity, and it’s time to move onto something else.

• Thants says:

“It really is like Darwinism at work, because it’s getting to the point now that if developers are creating zombie games, you know you can happily ignore the game and not miss out on anything”

Seems like a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. I’d hate to have missed out on Company of Heroes, Men of War, or Plants vs Zombies just because the settings are overused.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Certainly, you can still make great games from the most overdone themes. The two are necessarily connected. But there is something like taking the path most traveled; like following in the footsteps of -that popular game- using -that popular theme- or the like.

2. markcocjin says:

Like Alien Swarm! And Diablo! The game looks really nice.

3. Jon Tetrino says:

Ever try the Zombie Master mod for source? It’d be just what you want, Quintin.

4. Teronfel says:

Zombies,zombies,zombies,zombies…Why do all gamers love zombies?Because they’re zombies too!!!!!

GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

I do so enjoy the fruits of other posters’ Doubleirony.

5. RagingLion says:

The most interesting thing about this to me is that it’s made by some people from Argentina.

6. CMaster says:

Quinns – you should try Overwatch
    It’s still early in development, and the initial release had the “GM” a bit restricted, but they seem to have a pretty solid idea.

Or play one of those games that I design in my head thats all about “GM” vs Players play.

• Dain says:

Iron Grip: The Oppression too while we’re at it. It was never perfect, and the devs have abandoned it to work on their commercial projects, but it was a lot of fun back in the day, and looked and sounded rather lovely.. had a lot of good ideas. I have no idea why more games haven’t picked up the RTS players vs Co-op FPS players idea.

7. Tei says:

The genius of L4D is to make the common zombie easy to kill. So the problem is NOT killing 1 zombie. Killing zombis was never at problem with humans 1vs1, humans are faster, can use weapons and are smarter.
    On this game, seems the zombies are bullet sponges, so A) Your weapons feel inefective, even the superskills (that the one dude playing the video managed to waste hitting a empty area). B) I dunno. The game become a grind? I trought my comment would look cooler with point B, but I have no idea what to say.

8. RadioactiveMan says:

Hmm… does the game play look like Magicka? Not that we know much about Magicka gameplay yet…

Also, to those sick of zombies- don’t give up on them yet! The Zombie RPG Dead State is sounding pretty promising… if it ever comes out!

9. Os says:

Sadly, the feeling I get from the trailer is the same on I got from Stalin Vs. Martians.

10. lilgamefreek says:

Reminds me very much of boxhead, right down to having “devils” that shoot “fireballs”

11. dragon_hunter21 says:

Hey, look, it’s Billski!

12. Chucrute says:

Torchlight with automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades.

13. Aerozol says:

I get that they’ve obviously only developed two enemies and one level to show for this, but that looked extremely uninspired.