A Few More Minutes Of Firefall

By Jim Rossignol on November 2nd, 2010 at 8:42 am.

Red Five have been abroad in China to demo their persistent world shooter Firefall, and they’ve come up with a bit more footage for the purpose, which I’ve posted below. The impressive dropship flyovers here give us a bit more sense of the scale of the game world, and the battles going on below make me recollect fine evenings spent haring about in PlanetSide. The more impressive stuff, perhaps, is the world design as a whole, including the freaky creatures which inhabit it, and the environments you will be fighting through. Tribes Universe was certainly a welcome announcement last month, but I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on Firefall.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Skyturnedred says:

That was colourful. Me likey.

• Spacewalk says:

Are characters with hair that short, armour that big and guns that shooty allowed to be in a game this colourful?

2. Aerozol says:

That looked good. Really good.

3. Mike says:

Don’t say Planetside, Jim. Don’t let me dream, baby.

• Subjective Effect says:

Let’s face it – we neeeed a PlanetSide successor.

The lack of one astounds me every single day. With today’s net speeds and computer grunt we could have a fantastic re-iteration of it and tbh it’s the. most. obvious. MMO possible. Tabula Rasa blah. Do it properly, do it Planetside style.

You wouldn’t believe the things I’ve seen…

• Davee says:

Well, hints of a PlanetSide 2 have been out for a while – there was that survey that went out to all PS veterans from SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) about what they would like to see in a possible successor. But that was a year or two ago, and I haven’t heard any more of it myself.

But yes, we urgently need a PlanetSide successor! Let’s see how FireFall fairs.

• Bouncl says:

I don’t really see this as a planetside successor because (and this my bias coming out) it seems to revolve a lot around PvE, which I attribute to the fact that one of the lead devs worked on WoW for a while.

• MadMatty says:

mmm yeah the trailer looks a bit more Tabula Rasa than Planetside- not that Tabula was that bad, it had good ideas all over, and the basic shooting was fun- think i quit Tabula because it got to repetetive.

HereĀ“s hoping for a Planetside successor! (burp)

4. andy says:

awesome – great to see the jetpacks / gliders in there too :)

5. CMaster says:

That was indeed colourful and pretty interesting looking.
    Shame that the PvP combat seems to just involve everyone stood around in an open field slugging each other.

• The Hammer says:

Yeeeeah.

I’m in two minds about that trailer, and want to know more about this game, but the flyover sections were lovely. I wonder if they’re going for vehicles reliant on other passengers supplying the firepower…

El_MUERkO says:

Om NOm NOM NOM NOM!!!!

I want it!!

7. Lobotomist says:

Good , good , good

Looks like we are coming out of dreary years of “lets copy WOW, its good isnt it ?” years

8. Jakkar says:

Borderlands, Tribes and Planetside.. Unoriginal, but potentially entertaining.

I wish it were a little sharper in gameplay – less bounce, less giant projectiles and area effects. But then precision gameplay tends to turn these games into an elitist contest of Biggest E-Peen.

It was tragic to watch Tribes 2 become more concerned with air-intercepts and spinfusor duels than epic tactical combat between vehicle crews and infantry squads.

9. Tom OBedlam says:

Tribederlandside? Oh yes please…

10. Deccan says:

America’s #1 war-themed backpack simulator!

(this looks very shiny)

11. Butler` says:

If they get the customisability(?!) / lots of options / replayability right this game could be huage.

12. JKjoker says:

how does this stand up as a single player game ?, looks good but games that are too focused on the coop component end up like borderlands

13. sklaav says:

catchy music

14. Aganazer says:

I can’t wait to play Tribes of Borderside London. Its looks great!

15. ts061282 says:

All hail the WOW killer! Death to WOW!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

You’ve just jinxed the whole thing. Well done.

16. Heliosicle says:

I liked the bit with the jetpacks.

17. Wulf says:

Hm. This appeals to me on so many levels, aesthetically. It’s mostly though that it’s visually exotic that gets me the most, I like that in a game. Has anyone else noticed how odd their technology is? It’s basically the same thing I like about Charr tech in GW2; it looks very organic despite itself. At the same time it’s meaty, it has presence. And the thumpers (resource gathering drones-from-the-sky) I dig especially.

Not to mention that there’s a lot of alien plantlife out there, I know it’s good old terra, but it’s been invaded with alien flora/fauna, so there’s a lot to see. It’s familiar enough for people to not need to take much notice, but at the same time, it’s alien enough to appeal to people to actually notice and appreciate this sort of thing (me). So overall, the art direction of this game appeals to me, it’s… interesting, and I want to see more.

I suspect the first thing I’m going to do when I play this game is abandon my team and go exploring, with the excuse of seeking out resources.

• Wulf says:

And by organic, I mean that it’s all about curves and bulbous regions, it’s not very flat. It doesn’t look like most of it was designed in the more boxy ways we’re used to designing things today. That, in and of itself, gives it a distinctly alien feel. I really like that.

18. nmute says:

it even looks like they’ve remembered the other 50% of the world’s population. this alone deserves a big thump on the shoulder.

19. Chaosgabe says:

I was in Naum man.

20. Asmodraxus says:

Dagda Dagda Dagda muchroom

21. Matthew Whittingham says:

That looks astonishing visually, and insofar as it takes Planetsides core ideas it should be full of potential too. I’ve been waiting a long time for something to take the basic premise of Planetside and do it justice. It was such an amazing premise, half let down by technological limitations, and half let down by a few of the mechanical details.

22. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Oh noes. That looked very heavy on the Pretty Sparkle Lights. I dislike that. It’s one reason I dont play Global Agenda.
    (They crack me up with their “No Elves” thing then have guns that shoot faerie fire and glowing armour that only an elf would wear and a default helmet for their recon class that has pointy ears.)

I mean I wouldnt put myself in the manshoot category but please please please more of assault rifles that go bang and feel like a gun and less of the sparklecannon 2000 that feel like you are abstracting people’s hit points away.