Free This Weekend: Games!

By Jim Rossignol on November 2nd, 2010 at 12:51 pm.

Well, only two multiplayer games, but they are games. One is zero-G astronaut battler (with excellent space furniture), Shattered Horizon, and the other is slightly wonky Wild West shoot ‘em up Lead & Gold: Gangs Of The Wild West. They’re temporarily free to play on Steam over the weekend, with a large discount for actual permanent purchase if the freeness persuades you of long-term appeal.

Hmm. That – Shattered Horizon, I mean – would have made a good game club outing. As Phill pointed out, it’s benefited great from its updates. Oh well, maybe we squeeze in some astronaut deathmatchery between the Arma II exploits. Hell, I bet Notch goes and makes SMP work properly before the weekend and then I will have to play that too.

, , .

1. SquareWheel says:

I swear, Shattered Horizon goes on free weekend every few months.

Lead and Gold has done it twice now.

2. jon_hill987 says:

Shattered Horizon is indeed excellent. I really should play it some more.
    It makes a nice change for a multiplayer FPS not to involve months of grinding to get all the weapons these days as well.

3. Navagon says:

Shattered Horizon released with way too little content. Same story with UT3. Only Valve seem to be able to get away with that.

4. no says:

Lead & Gold isn’t even worth “free”. I paid $15 for that piece of crap and I’m lucky if I even see four people playing the game. I spent a few hours trying to play it and only got a few rounds in. Even at that, they were choppy and laggy. It looked like a LOT of fun, but what’s the point if there’s nobody to play with?

• Gap Gen says:

Well, it’s a Paradox game, so I gave up at the point where I found out that to reload my revolver, I had to reform the upper house of the Slovenian Parliament.

• Enigmatic Gray says:

@ Gap Gen
      I laughed uproariously at that, then felt bad because I love Paradox.
      Still, it is true.

GLOL,GLOL.

• Haplo says:

@ Gap Gen
      Oh God, it’s so very true. Bravo, sir, bravo. You win a funny internets.

Now all I’m thinking about is a Paradox game where you can reload the revolver just fine, but you’ve had to set up the industries required to make the gun, make the bullets, make the steel to make the gun and bullets, mine the coal to fuel the industries, then the separate industries required to make your clothes, etc.

Just think about it! Enemy in the field giving you hassle? Lead sneaky, deadly stealth teams in daring raids and smack out their industries, then fight them again! Let’s see them fight a war without bullets.

Lead and Gold: Military-Industrial Complex edition.

• Oddtwang says:

You seem to be describing something not too far removed from Science & Industry, which was a great Half-Life mod.

5. Diziet says:

Count me in for trying out Shattered Horizon. That kind of tomfoolery appeals.

6. Davee says:

So many games, so little time!

I played Shattered Horizon last free weekend, it was okay I guess – but not something I liked enough to grab me for any longer times. I’ve always wanted to try out Lead & Gold though, it looks pretty interesting!

But a Minecraft RPS meet-up would be fun too, and will probably keep me away from the other games this weekend >_>

• Malagate says:

@Davee, an organised RPS Minecraft meet-up would be neat, if they update their official servers or maybe even just have new servers specifically for the event. And yes, I do mean servers, because knowing the volume of RPS minecraft heads around here a single server would probably fill up double quick sharp and later crash horribly again and again.

Also about this shattered horizon, I’m always intrigued by it but then I look at my windows 7 rig, with its pentium 4 HT processor and 8800 somethingsomething graphics card and decide it wouldn’t be worth the hassle to make it work. Maybe if I got a lot of money somehow I would upgrade to a new rig and then try it out…

• TWeaK says:

@Malagate: my old rig with a 939 dual core and 8800GT 512 could *just* play it on minimum settings, though it struggled with servers with more than 10 players. If your P4 isn’t dual core, I certainly wouldn’t bother.

To everyone else, you should definitely give this a try. Futuremark have added plenty to the game and it’s a great blast and a refreshing change from traditional multiplayer shooters.

7. radomaj says:

I bought Lead & Gold during one of the free weekends and I find it a really fun game. There’s a better server browser now. I must say that I didn’t have any lag or FPS problems one of the previous posters had.

8. Toby says:

They are both great multiplayer games. I hope this will revive them both a bit.

9. Bassism says:

Dammit. I still want to play Shattered Horizon, but it’s too proud for my computer :(

10. Tater Po says:

I’m down for shattered horizon. Lemme know what time and I’ll be there.

11. Noterist says:

I bought SH last time it was on offer and still haven’t gotten around to playing it. Definitely in for a Shattered Horizon club-shoot!!

12. WooP says:

Sorry for being silly but is Lead & Gold showing up as full price and not free at all to anyone else?

13. jon_hill987 says:

Any chance of an RPS server for these like there was for Dogfighter?

14. LemonyTang says:

Love the gameplay in Shattered Horizon, sadly with an average peak of 20 people playing at once, it’s pretty tough to get a good game in.

15. kwyjibo says:

Shattered Horizon shot itself in the face when it decided to limit the game to gaming desktops.

• Midnight says:

And only Windows Vista and 7 OS desktops at that, no love for XP. I’ll probably have more chance of playing this by waiting for it to come to the Mac.

16. Ziv says:

can I preload shattered horizon so I won’t waste time downloading it over the weekend?

• jon_hill987 says:

I’m guessing from Thursday sometime if it is like the last ones they did.

• Thants says:

On the site there it says you can start preloading on Wednesday evening, and the free “weekend” starts at 23:00 GMT Thursday.

17. GC says:

How does Lead & Gold ranks versus the free* Fistful of Frags ?

*requires any Source SDK game

18. Duck says:

Both Shattered Horizon and Lead & Gold are really, really, and I mean, REALLY, like REALLY, great.

You should all play them, then buy two copies, one to play and one to reminisce about playing when you are not able to play.

19. Warth0g says:

Shattered Horizon is really good but for some reason I never played it too much.. an RPS server and Game Club for SH would be awesome. You can live out all your pent-up Moonraker fantasies. As long as they don’t involve shagging Bond girls obviously…

20. Thegreatetimote says:

…lol…. does anyone else notice that the ball symbol looks like google chrome? XD

21. stop slow my net says:

MEH I DONT F**KING CARE ABOUT ANY SO CALLD Lead and Gold
    not worth
    but you do as u wish

22. Diziet says:

Well I’ve played Shattered Horizons quite a bit to day, it is indeed quite good fun. They’ve nailed the atmosphere for me when you shut down the suit to run quiet. Almost worth purchasing for that. I must say though, I’m not very good at it.