Dejobaan Games Is Working On: Musorqua

By Quintin Smith on November 3rd, 2010 at 11:16 am.

I enjoy... games?

The Dejobaan guys are best. This much we know. But what are they working on now? We don’t know! Unacceptable. I dispatched a squad of RPS fightbots to find out, but they came back half an hour later with the postman’s wang on a skewer, so I just checked the Dejobaan site instead.

The Musorqua Project is another score-based flying (or, falling) game, with levels that are procedurally generated depending on the mp3 you play the game with. The game’s still in pre-alpha, but Dejobaan “hope to sexify things up a bit” soon. I don’t know what that means, but you can watch a couple of videos below.

Here’s the latest video from Dejobaan’s site:

And here’s another, more recent, practically SECRET video that we know about thanks to RPS reader Nicholas “The Magazine Kid” Mogavero.

Looks neat. I’ll bring you more news on this just as soon as Dejobaan… make some more of the game, I guess.

, , .

1. Poltergeist says:

Playing what is essentially more of “AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity” while listening to my favourite music is a winning combination.

2. Mike says:

Sounds nice, but I think the algorithms behind this haven’t really come on much since Audiosurf.

• Rowboat says:

Audiosurf is miles, miles beyond this in terms of music/gameplay/visuals synergy. I haven’t played the-game-with-all-the-As so I won’t pretend I can conclusively judge how much fun it’d be for me from these videos, but it really just seems like a game with a built-in music player more than anything else; it doesn’t look bad and I may end up liking it, but the music doesn’t appear to have anything at all obvious to do with what goes on, as it stands. I had a similar “problem” with The Polynomial – it’s a very pretty and relaxing game but the music angle is way oversold.

• Vertel says:

Well, consider that Dejobaan is developing the music analysis and level building algorithms practically from scratch, and that they’re all still in the very early stages. Like the man said, it’s still in pre-alpha. I expect we’ll see a great deal more development before it gets to release.

• Rowboat says:

True. Just saying, in the game’s present state, as shown in these videos, the choice of music doesn’t appear to have any interesting kind of influence on the level. If this does change later, great – I must confess to being a little sad that after more than two and a half years Audiosurf is still the best at what it does by such a great margin. (If I’m wrong about this, for the love of god tell me what game I haven’t heard of, and brace for stabbings if your recommendations are of the Music Thing Hero or DDR type.) I’d really like more variety in the automagical music game quasi-genre; but of course this is absolutely not an easy thing to do well. We’ll see how this one goes.

• DrGonzo says:

I enjoyed Meteos. Though whether you can call what you create music is arguable. It’s a matching blocks game where you can only move blocks up and down. Once you’ve matched the blocks they don’t just disappear though, you have to match them and fire them up the screen, a bigger combo will require more momentum. You create ‘music’ with what you do in the game. The most fun part though is the multiplayer. You launch your blocks at them and they fire them at you. It becomes hilarious by the end when your sending an entire screen of blocks their way only to have them fire it back even bigger.

3. Xocrates says:

Wait! So this is Aaaaa(etc) meets Audiosurf?

*eagerly awaits pre-order button*

4. Willem says:

Isn’t this just Audiosurf meets Audiosurf?

5. nine says:

Wow, looks almost identical to AAaaaa… I hope that changes before release. I do so like rhythm games though and Dejobaan are awesome so I’ll pick this up regardless as long as it’s priced reasonably.

6. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Not sure, why they would make a separate game for this. To me it would make sense to call it AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA x 2. But have that function….

7. Ichiro Lambe says:

Woo! A few notes:

1. I think the final title will be “1… 2… 3… Kick It! — Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby.” But I’m not sure yet. This is our secret.

2. It’s based on Aaaaa!, but one of the things I want to make different is that it’s about shooting the crap out of things and not just jumping. One of our inspirations is Space Harrier, FWIW.

3. I agree with those who say that the level is not tied strongly enough into the music — we need to do this better. I’m still fudging with the music algos, having focused primarily on getting procedural level generation to work at all. (The math is really cool, but that approach to level design is all new to us.)

4. I dunno. Some fourth item.

Cheers,
    Ichiro

• Rowboat says:

Since I whinged at great length above I should say here that I’m very glad to hear that. Looking forward to seeing/hearing how this ends up.

• Tom OBedlam says:

I vote for “UHN TISS UHN TISS UHN TISS – Kick it like a red headed step child*”

• michaelar says:

Hmm, yes, okay. Dejobaan, game, music, stuff, good–wait, SPACE HARRIER?!? Sweet merciful God, yes! Go, Dejobaan, go!

• Aubrey says:

Good real time beat detection is super duper hard to get just right. Tried a fair amount on Goo! and then more or less gave up. I wish you the best of luck with it though, because this looks utterly, staggeringly fun! Can’t wait, day zero purchase etc.

Also, although this wouldn’t work on all tracks, did you consider some kind of metronome mechanic at the beginning of the game? Essentially, get the PLAYER to tap out a beat to the music during the intro to set up the beat for the rest of a track? Sort of a lateral thinking way around the problem? Actually, I don’t know if that’s a good idea. Just a silly thought.

• Ichiro Lambe says:

Hey, Aubrey has an interesting idea! I’m not sure if it’ll work, but I must ponder it now.

8. origo says:

this game lacks acceleration, somehow feels too relaxed (feeling totally different from what i’d experience while falling from multistore building).

• Aubrey says:

… you mean from a building in a vacuum. Terminal velocity, yo!

9. SmallIvoryKnight says:

Wait wait wait….

How did I get the title “The Magazine Kid”?

10. Wulf says:

Galaxy Rage, Dejobaan. Gods damn it. Galaxy Rage. >8C

(My OCD over that WIP game will never, ever subside.)

11. gryffinp says:

Mostly my thoughts on the game as I’ve seen it so far is that “Musorqua” sounds like a crappy Half-Life 2 art mod. Needs a better name.

• noobnob says:

It’s the name of the project, I’m sure the final product will have a name as crazy as “AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! — A Reckless Disregard for Gravity”.

• Ichiro Lambe says:

“1… 2… 3… Kick It! — Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby.”

Nobody listens to me anymore.

• Vertel says:

That’s because we’re all distracted by your purty lips, Ichiro.

Lambchops says:

Oooh, can I roll out the AaaaAAAaaaaaAAAAh Staying AliiiiiiIIIIiiiiIIIve pun again? I was pretty proud of it first time round!

Saw a few videos of this last month and definitely marked it down as one to keep an eye on. If it successfully marries Aaah’s fantastic gameplay with the way that Audiosurf interpereted music then it will most definitely have me hooked.

Hopefully they manage to find a way to make slower songs and ones with less insistent drum beats fun to play – as that is often a sticking point in these type of games.

13. Cronstintein says:

I would suggest removing the ‘ping’ sound effect from the scoring. It drowns out the music which seems to defeat the purpose.

14. Dozer says:

Quinns – the postman’s wang on a stick – was it shaped like any kind of implement of manual labour? Perhaps a device for digging holes?

15. Rane2k says:

Looks interesting, I wonder if it will work with my Metal collection as well as Audiosurf. :-)