Mod News – Oh, There’s The Scares

By Lewis Denby on November 4th, 2010 at 11:00 am.

Last week I noted a lack of Halloween updates. In retrospect, I understand that this was probably due to it not having been Halloween yet. Friday saw a surge of them, so here’s a round-up of those, along with other interesting happenings in the world of mods over the past seven days. Onwards!

NEWS
Half-Life 2 mod Tension is first in the post-Halloween update list, unveiling a new hook model, and a wonderful pumpkin lantern with which to show it off. While we’ve not seen any fully finished areas of the mod yet, its grappling mechanics already look very interesting.

Then there’s The Island of Cthulhu, a Lovecraftian survival horror mod for Crysis, which released a new trailer in time for spooky season. It’s looking suitably dark and sinister, a whole world away from the lush terrain of Crysis. This is on my ones-to-watch list.

And of course, no Halloween would have been complete without an update from Cry of Fear, the super-ambitious Half-Life 1 mod that’s been in development for ages. There’s a new screenshot, and a promise that the mod is almost finished. Just a few mapping tweaks then beta testing, apparently. I really cannot wait to play this.

Zombie Half-Life 2 mod No More Room In Hell also took the Halloween opportunity to release some new video footage, this time demonstrating the mod’s objective-based play and a new weapon animation. (Yes, I know, this week’s been very Half-Lifey.) I also only just spotted some absolutely wonderful artwork on its ModDB profile, which I’ve included below.

It’s not all been Halloween or Half-Life, though. Although we are still in Valve territory here. Jastian Summer is an upcoming Alien Swarm mod, single-player only, and set on a planetary research colony. Not much other than a few screenshots to go on so far, but it’s looking interesting. I’ll keep my eye open.

And, oh look, more Half-Life 2. Sorry! But this is looking great. Off Limits, a multiplayer mod in which two teams hunt down and kill a big bad baddie, will be released next month. A bunch of new screenshots were unveiled this week, and it’s looking just lovely. Have a peek here.

RELEASES
Wings of the Federation, a custom campaign for Freelancer, has appeared out of nowhere. There are 12 fully voice-acted missions, all set in a completely new universe. There’s also a mandatory patch, which you can grab here.

Meanwhile, I already wrote in length about this, but: Tension Tedium was released. A short mod for Half-Life 2, it is interesting. Try it if you’ve a few minutes.

UPDATES
Left 4 Dead campaign One 4 Nine has been changed up a bit. There’s an altered finale, adjusted spawning, and new instructor hints throughout.

And there’s a patch for Fairy Tale – not a whole new version, but a tweak for the already existing version 10. A few minor updates here to the already acclaimed Civilization IV mod, which takes Civ’s mechanics and drops them into a fairytale world.

AND THE REST
Just one this week, over at PC Gamer again, where Jaz McDougall’s done a whopping round-up of Fallout: New Vegas mods. Just in case Quinns’ slamming of the game didn’t put you off. For the record, I liked it a lot more than him, and I played it on a console toy and everything. (I was reviewing it! I didn’t have a choice! Please don’t hit me in the face!)

‘Til next time.

1. Rond says:

I think you’ve mistaken Tension and Tedium there in the release list.

2. DrazharLn says:

I wish I knew where my Freelancer disks were :-(

Thanks for the article, some interesting stuff here for later.

Rinox says:

*punches Lewis in the chest*

That way the bruises won’t show and they won’t be asking questions at work…

4. Oozo says:

Oh, modders, I love you. I’ll just have to wait for another week or two, and then New Vegas will be ready for me, just as I wanted it to be.
    (I suppose. Haven’t even bothered breaking the seal on the box yet, because I read enough to know that I would be disappointed – hardcore mode, anyone -, but I also KNEW this was going to happen. Being a PC gamer is great. )

5. Wooly says:

There’s a notable Dragon Age mod out: http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1836

Some people recreated the first 2 hours of Baldur’s Gate II in the Dragon Age engine! Apparently they plan to convert the entirety of BG2 into the engine. That seems a mite ambitious though.

Also 1187 has a patch that fixes some of the many broken things about itself.

6. Irish Al says:

Still no news of the new DNF, namely Black Mesa …

• P3RF3CT D3ATH says:

It’s funny. There’s a poll on the Steam forums asking which will come out first, Black Mesa: Source or Half-Life 2: Episode Three.

oceanclub says:

“I didn’t have a choice!”

You could starve! You don’t have to degrade yourself!

P.

8. Tei says:

Also, heres a notable mod for Minecraft:
    It adds Ambient Oclussion. A cheap effect that add shadows in corners, and make the game feel more solid.

9. Navagon says:

Now I’m somewhat interested in New Vegas. But not just yet…

10. zipdrive says:

I recommend the spooky and well-done HL2 mod Nightmare House 2, by WeCreateStuff, which I played recently.

A bit full o cliches, it depicts you running around a zombie-infested hospital, with a lot of influence from FEAR.
    Go play -> link.

11. poop says:

the radiator guy is making a game based offa one of those design reboots!!! talk about it!!!

12. Lord_Mordja says:

What, no mention of the new, absolutely gorgeous Dear Esther screens?

Tsk-tsk.

13. Hazelnut says:

“Just in case Quinns’ slamming of the game didn’t put you off.”

Nope, it may have done (hurting Obsidian by losing them a sale, when actually I love this game – 80 hours entertainment so far) if I’d not read other people’s opinions, but as it is it just put me off RPS to be honest. Lost a lot of trust. See, it wasn’t the valid criticisms, however much I may agree/disagree about whether they affect me or are outweighed by other good stuff. No. It was the way it was done. The barbed comments. The hyperbole.

“It is the sound of Obsidian phoning this game in. I’m talking long distance, reversed charges, not-giving-a-fuck.”

What? Sure maybe there’s a case for that to be said about Fallout 3′s moronic main quest, but New Vegas? You can see the effort that’s been poured into this game, although you may have to keep your eyes open and pay attention a little. Anyway, it’s a condescending and stupid thing to say about this game and Obsidian.

“God, the dialogue in this game. I think there were several points where I was so bored my brain began rotating in my head like food in a microwave. Whatever voice acting agency or methadone rehabilitation clinic Bethesda used to voice the populace of Oblivion and Fallout 3 is back, and while I didn’t particularly like the writing in Fallout 3 either, the characters in that game were often interesting or disturbed enough that you were curious about what they had to say.”

The dialogue and voice acting is SO much better in NV I really can’t understand this point of view. At all.

I could go on, but the long and short of it was that article by Quinns wasn’t slamming the game in any kind of rational manner (it has faults, some noted some not) but was the worst article I’ve ever read at RPS. I’ve read many Wot I Think that I disagree with, but where I could see the point of view and where the author didn’t throw rationality to the wind. I will take anything Quinns has to say with a pinch of salt from now on. I appreciate and fully support negative reviews and being able to say what you think about a game. But this was Sun/Daily Mail level journalism.

I really expected some kind of follow up, or maybe even apology for some of the things said. I think I misjudged that.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Why are you still here then? Personally I thought Quinns was bang on the money. As if, somehow, a Bethesda game could be made to feel even more soulless. Yup, Obsidian managed this astonishing feat somehow.

• Vinraith says:

Why are you still here then?

Because one article, no matter how factually inaccurate, unnecessarily hostile, and generally juvenile, does not outweigh the thousands that came before it?

• D says:

“I will take anything Quinns has to say with a pinch of salt from now on.”

You know, as much as I despise people who can’t handle other peoples’ opinions – I guess I’ve just always taken what you say above as a given. Y’know, since one of his favorite games is Pathologic.

• Thants says:

You lost a lot of trust in RPS because a writer was a bit hyperbolic about disliking a game? No wonder most gaming sites are bland, safe and opinion-less. He didn’t throw rationality to the wind because he disagrees with you about the quality of the voice-acting for god sakes!

What I want is an apology from all the people like who over-reacted in the comment thread.

14. noobnob says:

Hm, HL2 mods just keep coming…but most of them seem to be old projects. I expected that the more ambitious modders/indie devs would move on to full development kits such as UDK and Unity, but I guess it’ll take a couple more years for that to happen.

15. Lucas says:

Fallout New Vegas Community Bug Fix Compilation Patch!

Sidenote: this added some odd stuff to my inventory like undroppable quest items and things I’d already used, but better safe than sorry I guess. I read that they should be actually weightless despite the in-game text.

The #1 mod I want for New Vegas is to disable the voices of all non-uniquely (or inappropriately) voice-acted NPCs. Fully voiced everything makes the game so much slower if you wait to hear it all, and the repetition of actors and lines becomes maddening.