Hat Map: Shogun 2′s Backstory Explained

By Jim Rossignol on November 4th, 2010 at 12:30 pm.

Bow to the strange hat! - Never!
I can explain Shogun’s backstory, too, right. See, as in most conflicts throughout history, there are these warlords and they have a disagreement about their kind of hats that should be worn in Japan. To settle the dispute they decide to gather all their mates, dress them in the hats of choice, give them sharp, pointy sticks, and then see who wins in a big fight. Turns out the guy with the biggest hat won and ruled for 100 years, but you get to contest the actual history in the game. Something like that. I am basing my history of feudal Japan on a cursory reading of the Headgear Of Japan Wikipedia entry. For more details you can check out the official trailer, which I have embedded below.

, .

1. Lord Byte says:

You hat me there!

2. Preciousgollum says:

Shogun: “Tortle Wor”

I demand that this game, be known as such from now on!

• Noterist says:

Shame on you for making fun of foreigner’s accents. What kind of a world do we live in when a voice actor gets laughed at because their native tongue make it hard for them to pronounce Turtle Woe properly.

• DevilSShadoW says:

i concur

• Bhazor says:

I can’t read Katakana but it might be that is what it would actually be called in Japan. I say would because I honestly don’t know if they’ll sell this in Japan which is kind of weird I guess.

But really I thought her pronounciation was excellent throughout the rest of the video so I have to assume her pronounciation of Total War was intentional.

• Aska says:

@Bhazor

It would be more like “Totaru Waru” – (katakana) トタル ワル – to any native japanese speaker.

• Jeremy says:

Hmm… tough crowd here.

• Baines says:

That’s close to what I’d expect the katanana to be, but checking the dictionary I have installed in JWPce, I get トータルウォー (Toutaru Waou)
      Okay, I had to cheat a bit for “war”. It didn’t have a katakana entry for “war” itself, but it did have “war games”.

I don’t think there was any plan to badly pronounce “Total War”, at least not specifically. Instead, it was a plan to use a speaker who would have a very visible, but one that was still quite understandable, accent. Considering the accent comes from speaking with a different base set of syllables and patterns, what happens with “total war” isn’t a surprise.

• Bhazor says:

Yeah the katakana phonetics really don’t fit. So really they are just making her exaggerate her accent for the title drop. Weird.

3. derf says:

A very motivating trailer. Seems like a noble* enough cause. I didn’t realise that Japan was once united before the game starts.

Let’s hope that the AI is acceptable and that they’ve introduced more common-sense features.

* Subject to personal political ideology :)

4. Bhazor says:

At 1:51 what are they doing to that guys butt? It looks like they’re trying to steal a buttock.

• sneetch says:

It’s worrying alright.

(The attempted buttock theft actually occurs at 54 seconds).

• Bhazor says:

Yeah I was looking at the overall timer not the elapsed timer. It was a mistake alright! Get off my ass about it!

5. pkt-zer0 says:

I kind of wish they made a proper(-ish) RTS from Sengoku BASARA, instead of just Dynasty Warrior clones. Alternatively, they could add more giant mechs and ridiculously overpowered leaders to Shogun 2.

• subedii says:

I…

Total War plays nothing like Dynasty Warriors.

That’s just, I mean… Were we playing the same games?

• TCM says:

He’s referring to Sengoku Basara, which is a series of DW clones.

• subedii says:

My mistake then, I apologise.

I thought Sengoku Basara was meant to be a reference to a period in Japanese history, not a series of games.

• Jimmy says:

The wording here is kind of strange, seeing as Sengoku Basara started out as a series of Dynasty Warrior clones, and an anime and manga based on said clones released afterwards.

• pkt-zer0 says:

Sengoku Jidai would be the reference to the Warring States period, in which Shogun 1/2 (and Sengoku BASARA) takes place. And yeah, I was referring to a bunch of Capcom games. It’s a colourful and over-the-top interpretation of the era, which could make for a fascinating large-scale, hero-based RTS. Not that the era needs to be stylized a lot, plenty of crazy stuff (supposedly) happened then as it is.

6. Londinistan says:

Oh boy I can not wait for Shogun 2 : Total War – Revenge of the Terrible AI.

• Sceptrum says:

But maybe they will keep their promise this time!! =)

Only reason I’m paying attention to this TW title is because I have fond memories of Shogun 1. Hope they can retain the same atmosphere.

• Artist says:

Words are cheap…

• anduin1 says:

haha what, you mean like the last 3-4 times theyve promised smarter AI? The only way to really love it is to cripple your economy so that you field less units and have to fight smarter.

7. Preciousgollum says:

“Shogun: “Tortle Wor”

I demand that this game, be known as such from now on!”

I was simply suggesting that the name be pronounced and spelled phonetically in order to fit with the theme of the game.

It sounds good, different to hearing TOTAL WAR! time and time again, I suggest that more game be pronounced in a way fitting with the theme, unless, as you appear to believe, the phonetically pronounced name is not understandable enough for what you must deem to be a culturally ignorant consumer of the games market.

Games Purchasers, Attack!

• Torqual says:

Who is interested in a war game without an opponent? Total “Rubbish AI” War Shogun 2 will just be as bad as all the other total war games so far.

Have a nice day.

• Torqual says:

ups sorry i did not want to reply to you Preciousgollum. Me stupid, perhaps total rubbish ai war is a challenge for me.

• Haplo says:

That is to say, -totally awesome-.

• pistolhamster says:

totally awesome? Total War games have for the last 10 years been military parades with functional AI for most but glitchy in the critical places. They all play out the same, I stopped throwing money after CA at Total War Mediveal 2, seeing a clear pattern for CA botching AI and not supporting their product afterwards (by choice or dictate by their overlords, but for me its the same plate of rotten potatoes no matter who served it).

• anduin1 says:

yup ^ they do abandon their software way too early before they move on to their next project, redeeming quality: the mods, they fix what the devs didn’t (for the most part)

8. Scundoo says:

Fool me once, shame on you (Empire)

Fool me.. eh, erm…. you can’t get fooled again.

- G. W. Bush

9. Joshua says:

I liked the Shogun 1′s male voice better.

“Let Total War begin!”

10. bthwhn says:

50USD U G G BOOTS

30USD Air J0rdan sh0es,Sh0x sh0es,Gucci,1V sh0es

33USD True-Religion jeans, Ed Hardy jeans,1V,C00gi jeans,Aff1icti0n jeans

40USD Ed-Hardy ,P0LO , BBC,GUCCI,CHRISTAN AUDIGIER HOODIES

12USD P0L0, Ed-Hardy, Gu cci, 1v, Lac0ste T-shirts

25USD C0ach,Gu cci,1v,Prada,Juicy,Chane1 handbag,

10USD C0ach,Ed-Hardy,1v sunglasses

9 USD New Era caps.

Please visit———-olapparel.com————

kjjo

11. Preciousgollum says:

Total War’s cookie cutter A.I does have that effect of rendering brain cells inert. It’s most likely worse for mental health than even the most excessive of alcohol-drinking. Pritzy GraaRfeX dough…

12. BoltingTurtle says:

I have to disagree with the criticism of the previous Shogun’s AI. Any game in which the enemy will actually willingly retreat instead of engage in my opinion has win AI. They rarely just charged forward at defensive positions; sometimes I could skirmish for up to an hour before actually getting the computer to fall for a trap, or simply walk away and save their forces. This even happened when I’d outflank a defending army. The AI would simply walk away from a loosing position. This was unique to Shogun, and I noticed that after the first expansion there seemed to be a few problems. But the fact is that as simple as the AI was, it was effective, and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. I wish they had kept that simplicity for the other Total War games.

P.S. The CAPTCHA is PHUK

• pistolhamster says:

Yeah, but since Rome it hasn’t been stellar to put it mildly. Shogun was good fun. I wish CA had not gone Feature Bloat and kept a tight AI. Now they are forcing it to do way more than their AI programming skills allow for in a beautiful way.

• bluebottle says:

All the Total War games have had their own unique AI issues. I seem to remember Shogun’s particular foible was caused by a lack of communication between the strategic layer AI, and the battlefield one. This meant that the Strategic AI would consider its forces strong enough to take you on, and launch an invasion (potentially breaking alliances), but then the battlefield AI would disagree and retreat, en masse, as soon as you click ‘Ready’.
      This wouldn’t have been too bad, but once you get past the first third of the game, when your forces tended to almost always outstrip the AI’s, this would happen ‘most every turn.

Still, this is small fry compared to the later game’s AIs, which have got steadily worse, and worse.

13. anduin1 says:

what backstory! The backstory of most Total War games has been conquer the shit out of your neighbors to become the supreme leader of the land, nuff said and nuff needed.