Choppy Waters: Sail Simulator 5 Demo

By John Walker on November 5th, 2010 at 3:21 pm.

We aaaaaareen't sailing...

It takes a big man to admit when he’s out of his depth, and I’m a very big man indeed. I’ve tried three times to figure out what on Earth I should be doing in the Sail Simulator 5 demo, but all I do is flap around in circles, and then try to ram a boat. By the looks of it, someone who knows their jib luff from their main tack might be able to fathom it. Or someone who reads the instructions.

In the demo you can play some online multiplayer, much around wtih the Stentec Laser dinghy (which sadly doesn’t include firing lasers), and enjoy sailing around Treasure Island (which sadly doesn’t include any treasure). It has very pretty, if someone repetitive, sea. And that’s my expert opinion. You can get the full version here.

, .

1. gou says:

at last! something to justify the £190 asking price of this http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/17291457/ShipDriver/Product.html … sailboats have engines right?

• frymaster says:

personally I think trying to control a dingy like a Laser using a wheel would be [b]more[/b] confusing than keyboard/mouse

• CMaster says:

Not these kind of sailing dinghy’s. I’m guessing that there isn’t a tiller and main sheet controller available?

• Pew says:

My nephew from extended family had one of those sailboat rudder controllers in the late 90s, for whatever Sail Simulator was out then. He insisted on playing that. I insisted on playing TIE Fighter with a joystick at my place instead.

We don’t talk anymore.

2. scc says:

this looks great!

do they have other boats? I use to compete with my high school team in Lasers and 420′s.

a boat with a sail is something a landsman just doesnt comprehend

3. tomwaitsfornoman says:

You must have forgotten to shoot the albatross.

4. TheLordHimself says:

Unless this game can simulate waking up in a tent with a massive hangover and covered in sand, only to have to put on a soaking wet and cold wet-suit also covered in sand and drag your ass down to the beach for a 10.30am start, I am not interested!

5. BeamSplashX says:

Can you permanently damage your dinghy?

AND IN THE GAME?

6. Rikard Peterson says:

I haven’t tried the demo (yet) but I’d be interested to hear if anyone has tried this game and can compare it to other sailing games. I’m thinking in particular of Virtual Skipper, which is the best one I’ve played so far, and which is also quite enjoyable.

• Hydrogene says:

I haven’t tried version 5 of Sail Simulator (downloading demo now), but the previous versions were less fun than Virtual Skipper.

7. Xercies says:

The sea in real life could be a procedural plane. OH NO!

8. Brian Manahan says:

Does this game have hats?